Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
Personally I've always thought there was a huge flaw with endurance races in a game like GT. Everybody wants to win. In the real world, drivers and teams enter endurance races knowing no matter how well they race they're extremely unlikely to win their class, and would be very happy with a top 10 position or even just finishing is an achievement. In a game though, what percentage of players would be happy with that? Not many, I'd wager. Most people see it almost as a chore, and they do not under any circumstances want to do it more than once. That means most people enter the events in a car they are sure is good enough to win, and combined with GTs lack of damage there is no real challenge to an endurance event. It's literally just x hours of driving, several laps ahead of the AI for most people, making them rather pointless.

Ask yourself, how many times in the GT history have you entered a long endurance event looking forward to the challenge of trying to win the race? I can't think of any time I have, except the very first one in GT2 where I thought even finishing last would net me decent money. That was only ~45 minutes though. Otherwise though you always enter them knowing you'll win, and it's just the challenge of having to drive for so many laps.

What doesn't help is the way GT and many games are set up in that they practically force you to win events, it's 1st or nothing for a variety of reasons. If the game was structured in a way where finishing 6th at Le Mans 24 Hours is still valuable, and combined with mechanical damage, they might be more fun to approach.

Which is again an area that the competition is ahead of GT on, making waves enjoyable and memorable almost regardless of finishing position. I finished a 15k stage in Dirt tonight in fourth place, yet it ranked as one of the most intense pieces of racing I've had in a long time.

It's this that is one of the key area for me that PD are not understanding, not everyone wants to play first place wins the new car in a Pokemon collectable style.

I can't think of a "serious" game that let you get by without blowing out everyone in every race since Sports Car GT (Test Drive Le Mans?). Even the NASCAR games I've played that start you off as some backmarker to work your way up to a top team tend to ram "IF YOU AIN'T FIRST YOU'RE LAST" down your throat.

I have to say I agree with you guys. Lately, I've been doing a lot of online races in PCARS and as much as I enjoy the rare race where I just run the hell away with the win in a equal car, I've been satisfied just getting top 5s or not finishing dead last (which is a bigger deal for me :lol:). I pretty much want more Actual races with the AI and not just these cake walks. I'm at the point where if I do compete in a race on GT, I stay away from overpowered cars (as seen with my GT5 race reports) and try to get equal cars so I actually have to work to win (although given that the AI isn't exactly spirited when they brake so damn early in the corners, that in itself is a challenge). The only seasonal I enjoy is the one on the Nurburgring just because I actually have to work for that and despite some close calls (Like the half spin I nearly did exiting the Karussel), I've managed to win each one. The endurance races are the ones I enjoyed the most more so because I don't have a overpowered car like so many people seem to like doing.

Sadly as much as I too would like player freedom, I think we're in the minority of wanting this. People who aren't motorsports fans/sim racing enthusiasts like us have no patience or sense of toughing it out and unfortunately, those are the majority that'll likely make up for massive sales so most of the developers will have no incentive to even try going down this route as opposed to the whole "Win or die" recipe. Part of me gets the feeling this is a very sly way of shoving online down our throats.

Last edited:
Guys I am a new acc here but I have read all the 155 pages after the PGW reveal of GTS. The reason I joined the site and I am writting this post is this list here:
https://www.latestnewsexplorer.com/e3-2016-list-of-confirmed-games/

It says :
Sony
Gran Turismo Sport (PS4)
Gran Tuirismo 7(PS4)

So the answer is: We will see 2 games at E3 ?

They should rename it to "E3 2016 list of confirmed games in our imaginary world"

Guys I am a new acc here but I have read all the 155 pages after the PGW reveal of GTS. The reason I joined the site and I am writting this post is this list here:

It says :
Sony
Gran Turismo Sport (PS4)
Gran Tuirismo 7(PS4)

A double reveal from DJ Poly D? That'd be quite the thing to see so hopefully it's true, but I have my doubts about even one showing up.

Welcome to the Planet!

Note the asterisk.

It's just a guess.

When the link was originally posted there were no asterisks. I don't have a screenie to prove it, but I reloaded twice to be sure I was seeing it correctly. I guess it doesn't matter too much now since a correction was made to the page.

I'm all for advancing I a Career mode as long as when I complete it, I don't have to repeat it. Forza 4 was perfect. I could stay in the novice races forever because, it randomised each time I restarted. Then, I could finish the game and do Free Play championships.
GT 2 & 4 replayability, for me, was good as well.

Something I find weird. PD like details. Why not wait to do the Senna tribute on the PS4? There would obviously be more they can do on that system. It PD are bringing that event over to GT_, that's all good. Just seems like a missed opportunity fitting it in GT6.

Personally I've always thought there was a huge flaw with endurance races in a game like GT. Everybody wants to win. In the real world, drivers and teams enter endurance races knowing no matter how well they race they're extremely unlikely to win their class, and would be very happy with a top 10 position or even just finishing is an achievement. In a game though, what percentage of players would be happy with that? Not many, I'd wager. Most people see it almost as a chore, and they do not under any circumstances want to do it more than once. That means most people enter the events in a car they are sure is good enough to win, and combined with GTs lack of damage there is no real challenge to an endurance event. It's literally just x hours of driving, several laps ahead of the AI for most people, making them rather pointless.

Ask yourself, how many times in the GT history have you entered a long endurance event looking forward to the challenge of trying to win the race? I can't think of any time I have, except the very first one in GT2 where I thought even finishing last would net me decent money. That was only ~45 minutes though. Otherwise though you always enter them knowing you'll win, and it's just the challenge of having to drive for so many laps.

What doesn't help is the way GT and many games are set up in that they practically force you to win events, it's 1st or nothing for a variety of reasons. If the game was structured in a way where finishing 6th at Le Mans 24 Hours is still valuable, and combined with mechanical damage, they might be more fun to approach.

I have for one. Endurance races are the only races I bother with in GT once I can access them. I always try to make it hard to win by choice of car. It's the challenge I'm after not the result. It's what ProCars is so good at. You can finish wherever and still feel that you've had fun doing it. The weakness of GT overall has always been the "win it to get the cup and move onto the next one" mentality the game design presents.

Hey @khr1s, welcome to GTPlanet!

Thank you all guys, long time GT fan here but now I have partially lost my interest in the franchise and switched to Assetto Corsa and Dirt Rally(ps4)...

The communication from the Devs doesn't exist(other games have very good community managers in reddit/forums)
The game feels like Gran Turismo 4 Remaster, nothing new so far...

I thought that the situation with GT will be changed on ps4 and I sold my DFGT to buy a G29 for ps4 compatibility (screw you Logitech) and now it's the same old PD...

Edit: When I posted the link there were no asterisk next to GT7 and GTS.

It says :
Sony
Gran Turismo Sport (PS4)
Gran Tuirismo 7(PS4)

Ask yourself this. Who are "Latest News Explorer" and how would they know the confirmed games at E3 when no main media outlets do? I'll give you the answer. At best they're nobodies guessing, at worst they're a click bait website and they list all those games so their articles appear in search results when people look for games.

Ask yourself this. Who are "Latest News Explorer" and how would they know the confirmed games at E3 when no main media outlets do? I'll give you the answer. At best they're nobodies guessing, at worst they're a click bait website and they list all those games so their articles appear in search results when people look for games.

A simple google search will give you the answer..don't just assume its a "click bait" website

Sooooo,
Still nothing.??

Hot tip.

GT:S will not be seen until GT:A rounds for GT6 are over.

tumblr_o0zyye9OQP1sztyb3o1_1280.jpg

If nothing is shown on GT:Sport at E3 then PD will further entrench themselves as the laughing stock of the industry.

C'mon PD surely you know now that the silence has gone on too long.

I hope this silence is not for "ps4k"... In each official post from Sony about psvr, no mention of gtsport. I can see something like : gtsport VR only on ps4k.

PD wont care about being called the ,,laughing stock of the industry'' when they are still considered the developer of the best selling driving game. (And despite selling lower numbers than part 5, GT6 still sold more than all the other racing games of its time ;))

PD wont care about being called the ,,laughing stock of the industry'' when they are still considered the developer of the best selling driving game. (And despite selling lower numbers than part 5, GT6 still sold more than all the other racing games of its time ;))

Sure, but as Samus (I think) pointed out the other day, where did that kind of attitude get Blackberry and Nokia?

Tech industry moves and changes fast, if you don't keep up with the times, you get left behind real quick.

I'm just not expecting GT:S to release this year now. For the beta I'm getting the same feeling as with the course maker.

They will release it suddenly without fanfare/hype to tick the box and a lot will be disappointed with it.

I really would like Jordan to chime in with his thoughts about all this. I may have missed it, but I don't remember him commenting in the thread after he seemed surprised about the announcement at PGW?

I'm just not expecting GT:S to release this year now. For the beta I'm getting the same feeling as with the course maker.

They will release it suddenly without fanfare/hype to tick the box and a lot will be disappointed with it.

I really would like Jordan to chime in with his thoughts about all this. I may have missed it, but I don't remember him commenting in the thread after he seemed surprised about the announcement at PGW?

N00b question: who is Jordan?

As an aside, there's a resident driving game fanatic journo at Eurogamer who may know a thing or two (Martin Robinson).

I would tweet the fellow to ask about GTS, but I don't have (or want) an account... Anyone?

And with that attitude the game will just keep getting worse and worse. You poor deluded fool.

Sure, but as Samus (I think) pointed out the other day, where did that kind of attitude get Blackberry and Nokia?

Tech industry moves and changes fast, if you don't keep up with the times, you get left behind real quick.

Thats not comparable. Racing games havent changed its principles in the last years, phones did have since the rising of the iPhone. Nokia didnt react to the new touchscreen smartphone trend (and sticked to their outdated symbian pressure sensitive touch phones) and tried to hop in years too late with an OS that wasnt needed.

Thats not the Case with Gran Turismo. Racing games havent seen some magic change and GT6 still is comparable to todays racing games.

Best Selling =/= Best Overall

This is true, for sure. But that could be rather said about Call of Duty than Gran Turismo. To me atleast, GT6 is the overall best game i've played.

One just cant be the "laughing stock of the industry" when he is the one which sells the most games.

Back