Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
100% real photo:scared::)

Attachments

• 13282767_1116561101741678_629285933_o.jpg
    13282767_1116561101741678_629285933_o.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 370
Hi everyone, just thought now I have a bit of free time for the first time after the event i'd write a quick summary of my thoughts on the game and what happened at the event.

After arriving at the hotel we were ushered straight to the copper box arena where the event would be taking place the following night and received a short brief of what to expect and how the event would be running. We were told the procedures for yellow flags and what car/track combo's we would be using the following day along with some general guidance about racing clean etc.

So, once the brief had finished we then moved into the area where the event was taking place and gained our first glimpse of the game running on the pods.

My first impressions were “wow!” The graphics are a big step up over PS3, as expected, but I was impressed at the very high levels of polish. They really are considerably better than the other sims on offer at the moment on PS4. Yes, they're different to the gritty yet impressive visuals of DiRT rally but GT manages to capture the look and feel of the circuits and cars very well indeed. I know PD made progress with this in GT6 but there has been a large step forward once more and the track environments really do look real and well used. There’s scuffs on the kerbs and the grass has been driven over. It looks like a lot of this was more difficult to see on the stream.

The collisions however do look and feel similar to GT6 but this is something that could yet be changed for the final game.

After we arrived into the room we were then given a chance to play the game for the first time. It was set up for a 15 lap multiplayer race on the new 0.5 mile oval circuit. I think they used this as a chance to test the full course caution and how the lobby set up would work. I started last in the BMW Z4 and my initial impression of the game was that it felt very similar to GT6 with some improved graphics. At this point the sound was near impossible to hear properly due to there being so many people in the room and all pods having the sounds out loud.

It was very difficult to find out much about the handling characteristics when the circuit only involves a short lift and a quick dive to the left but my initial impression was it was difficult to gauge the amount of steering angle you needed in order to make the turn and exit cleanly however this came after a few laps. I managed to battle my way through the pack into first place until the full course caution was being tested. We were instructed to keep at 60mph but some people didn’t get that memo and there was a bit of a kerfuffle getting people to catch the lead car etc. We took off again after a green and I managed to win the race with a couple of seconds in hand.

Then we were back to the hotel once everyone had a go on the game, knowing we’d be back the next morning at 11:00 for qualifying which was using a Lotus Evora at Brands Hatch.

The next day we received another quick briefing and then were waiting in our groups knowing the top 3 of our group would go straight through to the semi-final race. This time we were playing the game on a different pod with headphones so it was our first glimpse of the sounds.

I think they are a huge improvement on the sounds in GT6 and the evora sounded very good in my opinion. The engine note really sounded good right through to the redline and there was certainly a lot more detail to the sound than found in previous GT’s. As with other GT’s the tyre sounds are there and are a big giveaway as to how much grip you have left.

Driving on Brands Hatch felt really great and we had a 8 minute session to try and set our best lap. After playing GT6 the previous morning for about an hour for the first time since my academy in October I can say that the physics are a massive improvement. It much easier to judge what the car is doing underneath you and react accordingly. The game handled exactly how I would expect that car to handle and I immediately found myself at home with how it felt. This was a big difference for me when comparing it to GT6, it took me a while to adjust to GT6’s handling after not playing for a fair amount of time however with GT Sport I was able to jump on and be up to speed straight away. After the session my best was a 52.413 which was good enough for 4th overall and the fastest in Europe.

Then we moved onto the racing, as I was in the top 3 in Europe in the qualifying I missed out the double elimination race on the 0.5 mile oval I mentioned previously. I went straight to the MX5 N200 race on the Tokyo Expressway. We had a couple of minutes to practise with this brand new car and brand new circuit, the track was very fast and flowy but quite narrow in places lacking any serious braking zones and therefore obvious passing opportunities. I struggled in this race as I’m sure a lot of others did racing on a circuit that we didn’t know meant it was very easy to miss the turn in when following a car closely. Nevertheless the car was great fun and I’m sure on a more technical circuit it would be a blast, I managed to finish the race in 6th place which meant I was through to the nations cup final in the Group 1 cars on Brands Hatch Indy.

At first our cars were pre-defined as to what grid slot we were in (6th in my case) which meant I was dealt the Peugeot 908 and I managed to get out on track for half a lap of practise. Having driven this exact car in GT6 the following morning I would say that the GT sport version felt a lot more how I imagine an LMP car would do. The turn in was great with little understeer and it required you to be patient on the throttle as you could easily overwhelm the rear tyres.

However, during the set up of the race we were told the car choice was changing and we were picking on a first come first served basis. Following on from the pole sitter. My choice was the alpine, and I was back out in this for half a lap before the race start…. Immediately I thought the car had slightly more understeer on turn in and the rear end seemed quite stable on corner exit.

The race began and I progressed from 6th to 4th after an incident at Druids and then tried to settle into a clean race as I’m not into bumper cars and wasn’t sure how strict they’d be on contact. I then set upon catching JT in front of me over the next few laps and succeeded, getting within a second towards the start of lap 4/6. At this point thought the Peugeot (I think) made a lunge down my inside into druids which pushed me off my line and I had no choice but to let him through... Now I’m down in 5th place but still hanging with the guys in front. At the start of the next lap Tyrell spun coming into Paddock hill on the last lap and I was up to 4th. The battle was heating up ahead and I thought I would be there to pick up the pieces if something happened. It was all left down to the penultimate corner where JT ran wide after being overtaken allowing me to slide up the inside leading down to the final straight in 3rd place. :cheers:

The manufacturers cup didn’t entirely go to plan with us in the Audi being over 2 minutes behind after the second lap and then when entering the pits to get me in to drive we got stuck due to a technical bug however it looked like a good race nonetheless.

Overall, I thought it was a fantastic event that clearly signals the potential that eSports has within Gran Turismo and I for one am hugely looking forward to GT Sport. I’m slightly disappointed quickly scanning over the forums to see how many people are quick to judge with negative reactions without even playing the game but I know that I was very impressed with it. It was amazing to meet a significant portion of the PD team after spending god knows how many hours playing their games since I was around 3 and it’s easy to see how passionate they all are. Rest assured, GT Sport will deliver.

Once again, sorry for such a long post but that’s what you get when there’s nothing to do at work!

Woo ! Thank you very much for your review! :bowdown:

This game looks very promising ! I can't wait to play it !

So, GT Sports. Was able to drive it for 8:30 min. This is how long it took me to get around the ring once. Although I am a GT veteran, I really struggled to understand the limits of the car I drove (Ferrari). So at the start I crashed several times and it took me until Adenauer Forst until I managed to get my **** together. The driving (w/o any aides) is truly demanding! And it's fantastic! To get you an idea: A friend of mine laughed at me several times because I had so much problems at the start of the race. Well, he tried next and it took him 11:30 min in the same car to get around the track once. He was kinda frustrated and said it was because he's not used to drive a car with a wheel (I laughed).

Graphics are fine. Definitely what you'd expect from a GT Game. It had it's flaws (which isn't shocking given it's status), but tree-wallpapers we saw in the reveal trailer were definitely nowhere to be seen.

And the sound. Well. It was a noisy environment and there weren't any headsets. But from what I picked out, the sound is not as good as I hoped it would be but definitely better than I expected. So, I am okay with it.

Wasn't able to check the A.I. because I crashed my car immediately....

tl;dr: Day 🤬 one.

From gaf

Funny isn't it.

Person A posts their feedback of the event, they're critical of several elements:

"They're just bitching, the game isn't even finished yet, shouldn't judge it yet, graphics and sound will get better, I bet they didn't play it very long etc, this guy can't be trusted"

Person B posts their feedback of the event, they praise it almost unanimously:

"Wow, great preview, the game is shaping up to be great. This guy knows what he's talking about!"

Funny isn't it.

Person A posts their feedback of the event, they're critical of several elements:

"They're just bitching, the game isn't even finished yet, shouldn't judge it yet, graphics and sound will get better, I bet they didn't play it very long etc, this guy can't be trusted"

Person B posts their feedback of the event, they praise it almost unanimously:

"Wow, great preview, the game is shaping up to be great. This guy knows what he's talking about!"

Actually he said the sound is still kinda meh and graphics are ok. The only amazing thing for him was the physics.

Far from the unanimous praise.

In any case people are super excited at this events and this may skew their opinions a bit.

It's gotta be similar to playing a game in arcades. All the noise, people, special cabinets etc. It's nothing like playing at home.

Back