Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
We ended up with Most Wanted 2012 and Rivals, single handedly the worst Need For Speed games I have ever played.

I liked MW 2012. It's one of the only modern NFS games I've spent more than thirty minutes playing.

This article about Dirt 4 states that Gran Turismo now has sole rights to Pikes Peak

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...re-evidence-that-codemasters-is-back-on-track

Is this new or am I really slow?

I haven't heard that before. I feel like that's something that probably needs more sources before I'll believe it. I can't see putting Pikes Peak into a game like GTS being worth it.

So I've returned from Daytona, and I played GTSport in the booth, twice! The settings were forced to the NSX at Brands Hatch, but I was able to turn TC off. Here's my rundown of my personal thoughts:

Graphics: Stunning - Very pleasing to the eye and smooth. Only complaint is there would be frame drops, but that only happened once for me.

Physics: Enjoyable - They're not Assetto Corsa or rFactor physics, but they're still very solid. There was actual sense of car control, which made getting faster lap times more addicting. There was much more road feel and response than there was in previous GT games.

AI: ...still not good - They act the same as GT6 AI, just slightly faster on pace. I hope this is improved eventually.

Sounds: Solid and a definite improvement over previous builds and previous GT titles. There could be a bit more pop to gear shifts when in exterior view. There was a definite growl to the NSX, which was nice to hear.

Overall: While there are still things to be fixed an improved, it is already building up to be a solid game. Most importantly the gameplay didn't feel intense, mechanical, or very complicated to drive. While still having a sense of realism like road feel and keeping the car stable through corners, the game gave a lot more room to relax and enjoy the experience. I'm very much looking forward to the game's release.

I would say more if I could test different cars and tracks, but since this was an Acura tent, Brands Hatch and the NSX was the only car/track combo I could base my thoughts off of.

Thank for your feedback :)

It's possible of course, but something doesn't ring true to me.

If, as you suggest, those 6 tracks were the most advanced, that in-turn means the other 13 were well under-cooked.
Should that be the case, the mid Nov. release date wouldn't have even been remotely close.

So either the initial release date was deliberately a complete furphy, or they are keeping the other tracks close to their chest for different reasons.

Edit.
Sorry, I just realised I've used some Aussie slang. :lol:
Furphy:
"a rumour or story, especially one that is untrue or absurd."

Well yes, I think that may have been the case. After all, it didn't happen, and remember the slideshow from the Chinese show just before the delay. The track number had dropped to 15, which again suggests they were behind and they knew with a November release, 19 wouldn't all be ready in time. The 15 probably also wouldn't have been 100% finished and patched later.

I just cannot see any logic in showing off obviously unfinished tracks for over a year if they have even one other track ready to go. I mean take Suzuka, it's not a new track and everyone expects to see it, if that is ready, why not use it? No logical reason against it.

We'll never know for sure, obviously, but it seems like a logical conclusion to me based on what we've seen and what we know.

Isn't Suzuka also exclusive ?

IIRC it's not so much exclusive as that the track owners are currently extremely favourable to Japanese companies and wanting to charge other devs a silly amount for it.

Forgot to add, this is my theory on how the GTS release date went down.

Sony - "OK we've got the Pro pencilled in for November, we could do with a killer app at launch. How are things going? Could GTS be that killer app?"

PD - "Great, we will definitely be ready in November, we've had the Pro for a while and things are looking good. You'll have your killer app"

Sony, July - "Erm so we're getting close, are you ready?"

PD - "......"

Sony - "We're going to have to delay another one, aren't we?"

PD - "......"

I joke, but it's too much of a coincidence to me that their biggest first party title was due to launch at the same time as their new console. I think the above is roughly what happened until PD realised they had no hope of hitting it.

Forgot to add, this is my theory on how the GTS release date went down.

Sony - "OK we've got the Pro pencilled in for November, we could do with a killer app at launch. How are things going? Could GTS be that killer app?"

PD - "Great, we will definitely be ready in November, we've had the Pro for a while and things are looking good. You'll have your killer app"

Sony, July - "Erm so we're getting close, are you ready?"

PD - "......"

Sony - "We're going to have to delay another one, aren't we?"

PD - "......"

I joke, but it's too much of a coincidence to me that their biggest first party title was due to launch at the same time as their new console. I think the above is roughly what happened until PD realised they had no hope of hitting it.

You're an eternal pessimist and you're also most likely right :)

You're an eternal pessimist and you're also most likely right :)

I openly admit I'm a pessimistic person in general but in this case I don't think it's anything to do with that, just looking at the facts presented to us and coming to a logical conclusion.

If its going to be a while before PS5 drops, I can see PD just expanding GTS.

GTS 2017

GT Legends(classic cars) 2nd Qtr 2018

GT Classic(past original tracks) 4th Qtr 2018

GT 2020(updated cars from 2019-2020) 1st Qtr 2020

GT Life(Open world online driving) 4th Qtr 2020

That's if all the hiring of these new people, pans out.

PD? Structured DLC? Yeah, I ain't holding my breath.
All deams. Who knows what they have planned for the next 4 years? However, would take them that long to total 400-500 cars for GTS.

I just watched that PCars 2 video.:eek::drool: Now I know Im getting a PS4. I think I'm done here.

@Imari

Well yeah but what's the point of history lessons or Moon buggy ?

It's true, although I think that in a jack of all trades game like GT6 those were potentially decent ideas that were just done really badly.

In a small and focused game like GTS I don't think there's the same room for experimentation that there is in something like GT6. It's necessary for any game that first and foremost they nail the fundamentals, and I think in GTS there isn't really much room for more than that. If you look at other games with similar amounts of content they tend to be fairly narrow experiences.

For example, at one point in pCARS development it was mooted whether rally should be included. It was not because it was felt that it wouldn't be possible to do justice to rally and road racing with the time, budget and amount of content available. Given that the console version turned out to be somewhat of a hot mess as it was, I think that was the right call.

There was actual sense of car control, which made getting faster lap times more addicting.
This is one thing imho tha gt6 does the best. The make believe that your actually driving the damm thing at ludicrous speed and still keeping control. Just tried the suzuka seasonal after not playing the game for about a year (pcars and ac since). And getting better and better with every lap is very satisfying

This is one thing imho tha gt6 does the best. The make believe that your actually driving the damm thing at ludicrous speed and still keeping control. Just tried the suzuka seasonal after not playing the game for about a year (pcars and ac since). And getting better and better with every lap is very satisfying
The feeling of ludicrous speed is possible in any game that gives you the option to increase your FOV to extreme levels.

I wouldn't be surprised if Project Cars 2 had more content than GTsport... And I don't even talk about Forza 7...

Oh, it's pretty much confirmed GT Sport will have less than both. PCARS2 is set to have over 200 cars IIRC, and multiple times the track count of Polyphony's game (though it isn't clear how many from either title are laser-scanned).

Meanwhile, I believe every real-world track in Forza is laser-scanned this generation. The roster is pretty US-heavy, so I'm hoping any new tracks are European (c'mon Cadwell).

IMO, part of the reason for this direction change for the series is because PD simply can't keep pace in terms of content anymore. That's not a bad thing though: I know I'd much rather have a consistent quality level across the whole title over hundreds of PS2-era cars (even if I'll miss some of the more obscure ones).

IMO, part of the reason for this direction change for the series is because PD simply can't keep pace in terms of content anymore. That's not a bad thing though: I know I'd much rather have a consistent quality level across the whole title over hundreds of PS2-era cars (even if I'll miss some of the more obscure ones).
Yeah, it's not a bad thing if the car quality is kept at a high standard across the board. But prioritising that graphical quality isn't a good thing if other factors are suffering because of it. The absence of dynamic time and weather is one of the consequences.

You know, endless nitpicking and silly arguments aside. (seriously? GT sales on the PC? That's the silliest thing I've seen all day!)

If I ever want to crash on the couch, pick a car and go hotlapping on one of the best racetracks in the world, it's Gran Turismo every time. Sure, I could play Driveclub, or Project Cars, or TDU2, or NFS, or F1, or even Mario Kart. But none of those games feels like GT. I don't know if my nostalgia goggles are permanently glued to my head, but GT games give you a feeling undescribable and immesurable with "sim value".

I don't know if it's the handling, the presentation or all of the little nuances and details only PD would think to put there, but the only thing tying me to these games still is that it's just Gran Turismo, and no matter how many racing games come out, none of them have that special GT feel to it. The one that's been around since 1998 and is still going strong to this day.

Project Cars doesn't give me a full description and history of every car. F1 doesn't give me the online community like I've had with Duel of the Week. Driveclub feels great to drive and it's amazing to look at, but I still prefer the accessibility of GT's handling.

Also, none of those games have the brilliant soundtrack either.

You know, endless nitpicking and silly arguments aside. (seriously? GT sales on the PC? That's the silliest thing I've seen all day!)

If I ever want to crash on the couch, pick a car and go hotlapping on one of the best racetracks in the world, it's Gran Turismo every time. Sure, I could play Driveclub, or Project Cars, or TDU2, or NFS, or F1, or even Mario Kart. But none of those games feels like GT. I don't know if my nostalgia goggles are permanently glued to my head, but GT games give you a feeling undescribable and immesurable with "sim value".

I don't know if it's the handling, the presentation or all of the little nuances and details only PD would think to put there, but the only thing tying me to these games still is that it's just Gran Turismo, and no matter how many racing games come out, none of them have that special GT feel to it. The one that's been around since 1998 and is still going strong to this day.

Project Cars doesn't give me a full description and history of every car. F1 doesn't give me the online community like I've had with Duel of the Week. Driveclub feels great to drive and it's amazing to look at, but I still prefer the accessibility of GT's handling.

Erm.....ok?

@Imari We could almost say the same for rally in GTS. I know we haven't seen that much about the game but at the moment the rally still looks pretty out of place.

Yep. I personally don't think with 140 cars and 19 tracks there's room to have a good road racing selection with all the classes that they've shown AND have a decent selection of rally cars and tracks. I think having both means making sacrifices in both, and I think the last thing GTS needs is to be a mediocre jack of all trades. It needs to choose what it is and knock it out of the park.

I think they've made it clear that online competition is the flavour for this game, and I think that anything that muddies (ha!) that experience is undesirable. Keep the car and track list clean and simple, and let the online experience shine through.

I think rally cars were an event at Tokyo R246 in GT3(also the GT5 trailer w/major damage reveal nonetheless). I'm trying to remember as I used the Corolla(loved that rally car). Anyway, there were only 6 cars on track at any time. PD pretty much dug the hole from there.

We still have to see how this fits in with the Manufacturer's Cup

Instead of the numbered iterations of GT isn't it now going to be basically an operating system like Windows 10 with infinite updates?

I could be wrong but I herd the PS Nation guys discussing this.

The screen juddering right before and during the countdown brings back the memories. :lol: It is soooooo Gran Turismo.
And Seattle. The heat haze. The EVERYTHING.

My favo(u)rite game: by @RandomCarGuy17

;) NOICE!

Last edited:
Back