Gran Turismo World Tour is happening

I just meant, if someone else came in first place, would they have gotten the Williams contract?

Probably, I doubt it had nothing to do with this event, the JIM team leader seems to be in charge of who goes into the Williams eSports team so it's whoever he picked from the existing JIM team I imagine.

Did he get the contract with Williams e-sport team because he won this event?

I did some quick research and the manager of the Williams e-sport team is the founder of the e-sport team that he is already in (JIM Racing).

I can confirm he was in Williams before the Semi's even started.

@pumpunku wow, the fact you remembered all that is amazing!

Thanks for the races we got and especially how clean they were. I almost felt sorry for your Mazda pick at Monza, but you are a great and fair driver! We will meet again!

Dude I just aired my opinion here. There is no correct or incorrect... it is personal for each person. But you are right they have neither confirmed or denied an eventual releas on console. I obviously meant no release announced for acc on console. As for pc gaming I gamed for 15+ years on pc and I am talking about my personal experience and opinion. Perhaps we have a different definition of plug and play. What I meant was for a Pc you need:
-OS
-Gaming pc build
-Gaming gpu& ram etc
-Monitor
-Drivers
-Wheelbase
-Software

Starting out with an Commodore amiga 500 (upgraded to 500+ later on) and later to a pc. as a pc gamer i used to want to have the latest everything. Upgraded my gpu every few years (started with 3dfx... yes I am that old) and changed out my motherboard, psu, cpu, ram multiple times. Air cooling, liquid cooling, over clocking, fiddling with multiple sliders and settings etc. Then I just decided to leave it all and move to apple gear for productivity and leave the gaming to my livingroom on my console. I haven’t owned a desktop for 7-8 years now.

With a console I just need a tv, console, game and a compatible wheel. Turn on and play. I am not the only one in the same situation.

Don’t misunderstand I am not bashing anything It is only a personal experience and opinion! Don’t be so sensitive about my comment.

Ok... I accept your position.. and.. I´m from the time of ZX81, ZX Spectrum, Atari.... and of course Amiga too... And I have a Laptop for many years (previously several Desktops...)

@pumpunku wow, the fact you remembered all that is amazing!

Thanks for the races we got and especially how clean they were. I almost felt sorry for your Mazda pick at Monza, but you are a great and fair driver! We will meet again!

Thanks Angelo, and thank you for the good racing too, you're very fast and clean! I remembered so many things because it was very intense for me. I hope to see you again online and in person :cheers:

A little late here, but I was really impressed at the professionalism and clean driving on the final day during the Nation's Cup Final. The first day with the Manufacturer races at Monza and Nurburgring were super dramatic and entertaining, but there was still a lot of contact and bumping made between drivers and I figured it'd be like that the entire way. While those races were incredibly exciting, it makes it feel a little unrealistic and sets it apart from real racing.

BUT... things seemed to change a lot in the Nation's Cup final with those last four races... Still some contact here and there but mostly very minor stuff that you'll see during a real race anyway. But I think these guys got more and more comfortable with each other and became more professional and competitive as it went on, bringing out the best in one another. Some drivers pulled off incredible moves on both the inside and outside while avoiding any contact, including a few moves that really blew me away (and the commentators of course). These guys are really talented and on the whole everyone was very courteous and respectful while not losing any competitive edge which was really impressive. Almost makes you forget you're watching a video game race when the competition is that good while also keeping it clean. Amazing stuff guys -- this did a ton of good for Gran Turismo and GT Sport and I can't wait for the next one.

Those commentators. They either love sim racing more than any of us or they are just insanely good at their job. Their enthusiasm may have been over the top for a normal race broadcast but with the short race format and the lack of character from the drivers (which is great, I want to see racing not a reality show) it really worked well to offset and balance the potentially stale medium of sim racing.

Those commentators. They either love sim racing more than any of us or they are just insanely good at their job. Their enthusiasm may have been over the top for a normal race broadcast but with the short race format and the lack of character from the drivers (which is great, I want to see racing not a reality show) it really worked well to offset and balance the potentially stale medium of sim racing.
It was a surprise and a delight to hear Jimmy Broadbent give colour commentary as I've been watching his videos for a while now. I don't know how that happened as he's not so much a GT Sport player but rather more about AC, iR and RF, but he was incredible at it and could not have done a better job. Also, I'm not sure the play by play commentator's last name, think his first name was Chris, but he did a great job as well. Didn't know of him before but he clearly had a lot of enthusiasm about the races and did a great job of projecting that energy into the commentary. Great duo for the English broadcasts for sure.

I'll leave this as my final thought.

I'm curious to know whether in a few years, this World Tour will be a forgotten footnote or a stepping stone to something much larger. I do hope it's the latter but I also hope that there will be a way that clean drivers at different skill levels will get a chance to participate. To me, putting together a field that can produce great exciting race is what matters the most. Speed is certainly an important aspect but not an absolute requirement.

I'll leave this as my final thought.

I'm curious to know whether in a few years, this World Tour will be a forgotten footnote or a stepping stone to something much larger. I do hope it's the latter but I also hope that there will be a way that clean drivers at different skill levels will get a chance to participate. To me, putting together a field that can produce great exciting race is what matters the most. Speed is certainly an important aspect but not an absolute requirement.

I agree, would be great for others to get the opportunity as well, I agree that outright speed isn’t the most dominant feature. Unfortunately much like other esports the focus is likely to be on the fastest in the game so it’s only going to be the reality for the elite. If they do this again, which seems likely probably going to see a lot of the same faces. But this is the same as real racing, many aspire to be racing drivers but only a few make it.

I’m looking forward to the reintroduction of DRS and what this actually means. I hope it’s not just a higher DR cap (although I fear it maybe) I want it to mean clean consistent racing, not just for the fastest or the guys that play most but something that has to be earned to achieve the highest status.

Unfortunately much like other esports the focus is likely to be on the fastest in the game so it’s only going to be the reality for the elite. If they do this again, which seems likely probably going to see a lot of the same faces. But this is the same as real racing, many aspire to be racing drivers but only a few make it.

Since they're traveling the world it would have been cool if they ran a live regional tournament for one of the invite seeds. So invite 29 drivers instead of the 30 and then leave the last spot open to a royal rumble of regional drivers.

In Brazilian jiu-jitsu they have sponsored pro fights between elite top level guys but then they'll use the opportunity to win an invite as a way to draw in the larger pay to play crowd that want to get a crack at the pros. The events are essentially funded by lower tier competitors wanting to prove themselves on a larger stage.

A feeder style of paid tournament would be a great way to offset cost while granting access to a potentially lesser known driver.

Ok... I accept your position.. and.. I´m from the time of ZX81, ZX Spectrum, Atari.... and of course Amiga too... And I have a Laptop for many years (previously several Desktops...)
My first gaming was c64... with those large floppy’s... how gaming has changed!

My first gaming was c64... with those large floppy’s... how gaming has changed!
Gaming only changes if you let it change. My office, today:

20180517_231954.jpg

It was a surprise and a delight to hear Jimmy Broadbent give colour commentary as I've been watching his videos for a while now. I don't know how that happened as he's not so much a GT Sport player but rather more about AC, iR and RF, but he was incredible at it and could not have done a better job. Also, I'm not sure the play by play commentator's last name, think his first name was Chris, but he did a great job as well. Didn't know of him before but he clearly had a lot of enthusiasm about the races and did a great job of projecting that energy into the commentary. Great duo for the English broadcasts for sure.

Loved Jimmy's commentary! He seems like a genuinely good guy, and I've been enjoying his YouTube channel for a little while as well. Really hope he stays on for future GTS events.

Regarding his channel and GTS, he actually just posted a video yesterday challenging Hamilton's reference lap at Nurburgring GP, and he mentioned that he finally now has a wheel that supports PS4 (CSL Elite). His direct drive wheel doesn't support PS4. I saw a GTS video from him recently and he was playing with a pad, so hopefully now we'll see more GTS stuff from him in the future now that he has a compatible wheel :)

Hey, I thought I would share my experience in this event with you and perhaps it might also clear some things that were discussed before in this thread.

your report was almost more thrilling to read then watching the event itself!

I'm curious to know whether in a few years, this World Tour will be a forgotten footnote or a stepping stone to something much larger.

It would be great if e-motorsport could reach a wider audience. It has so many advantages which real sport doesn't have:
- nobody can get hurt
- no burning up fuel into the air
- no burning up all the other recources (which are needed to organize a real motorsport race)
- incomparable cheaper for everyone
- almost everyone has access to a playstation, so the talents are not uncovered

But there is always a fly in the soup:
- no grid-girls

Some footage from the event for those interested :)

Also big thank you to anyone who was supporting me or the event in general it was much appreciated, you'll hear in a couple of other videos of my personal perspective of the races and other interesting bits!
Good stuff! 👍

I suppose time constraints means needing that initial event deciding many things for the weekend. What's funny is that it's still better than my one experience with a GT Academy final. Qualifying session to start on a back-then early build for GT6. Deltawing with sports tires on a never seen before track. No practice whatsoever. Slowest person was eliminated immediately. On the slim chance I'm in an FIA event, I think I'll be better able to handle the pressure.

By the way, looking at that start for the 24 hours, I think maybe one or two cars would've had a flashing penalty after T1.

Back