GT Academy Edition Challenge Online Qualifying TT

Using lower values lets me turn the wheel more than I should be able to, resulting in squealing red tyres and understeer with loss of traction. Using 10 and trying to avoid 'understeering' gives me increased traction. Slow is fast, steer minimally, trailbrake, and gentle with the throttle.
One thing which p's me off is that ok, I'm 1,6 behind IP at the first checkpoint, then I manage to lose a second more on that little hill before the second checkpoint. Got to be room for improvement there ;)
He's going sub 1:45 for sure. Amazing driving IP....it's a real pleasure to watch you work. I know you peek in here sometimes: you're an inspiration to us all. Thanks.
That is an area where you can improve then ;). You should not be relying on hardware limiting you from turning as easily. You should know how much to turn. You might be able to pick up some pace from learning that. Technique is important. I use a loose grip, some people hold wheel too tightly and move rigid with wheel. Once improved steering technique, you should know how much to turn by instinct, regardless of no force feedback or full. Then in memory you should know where you are going wrong in time rather than relying on hardware limiting you to drive well. You will be perfecting your technique and ironing out any slow points of your driving.

One thing - good cornering makes the front tires go red hot, only for a second or two maximum, before they become runny and slidey... The inside front tire slips more and will glow red first. Try and hold that. Don't have a idea of a fixed angle of steering, try cranking the steering for an instant to get back on line, then relax angle a bit. Try out past 90degrees, 180degrees even for an instant. Just don't melt the tires completely cos then your corner is stuffed.

One more thing! The top guys are getting their times on cold tires. The car is less understeery at full power on cold tires, one lap only! The rear tires take more than a lap to heat up properly.

One more thing! The most gradual turn is the fastest at full power. More steering angle = more turn = less acceleration = less speed = time lost. Smooth transitions... Now if I could just DO all that...

I read this post and all I kept thinking about was Jackie chan adventures
i+finally+have+a+use+for+this+_36ca131bd52f4311b4fdc4874f98771c.jpg

Anyway back on topic, the servers are going down for an around two hours at 12:00GMT on the 15th.. Almost like a half time whistle. :)

I expect from here till the end the board is gonna be drastically changing.. IP is going to break the 45 barrier. No doubt in my mind.

Last edited:
mikew1927: Hey SirAlanClive. Or anyone
BIG THANKS to J. Clarkson!!!

No problem mate. Thank YOU for the Hachi Roku.

Sure I'm ready to thank anyone but it kind of slipped by me, what the esteemed Mr. Clarkson did to engender all this gratitude... I'm down with pneumonia right now so forgive me if I'm making a faux pas.

You should not be relying on hardware limiting you from turning as easily. You should know how much to turn.
You're absolutely right Sir! Caught myself doing just that.

Last edited:
Close at top. I wonder what time will be required to make top 6. Probably a low .1XX or below, maybe even .2XX will be enough.

I see Timppaq has joined in on the action.

I did.. too bad had to give you guys a two week head start :) Home sick now, so can't really push yet, I fear I might be short on time to have much chance. Guys at the top are going super fast! Need to figure this combo out, seems quite tricky! :P

I did.. too bad had to give you guys a two week head start :) Home sick now, so can't really push yet, I fear I might be short on time to have much chance. Guys at the top are going super fast! Need to figure this combo out, seems quite tricky! :P
Well you definately will have a head start on me... Anyway I think two weeks should be enough for this TT if you are going to make top six on not. Alien factor will come in for last few tenths. I will give it a quick go towards end of the month. Hopefully won't be too far off pace. If the combo somehow suits me, I might go for it and see where I place. Good luck 👍.

Well SirAlanClive, the esteemed J. Clarkson, was so kind as to give me his Academy Challenge code.
And NOW - in the spirit of paying it forward! I have just received my GT5 Academy Edition box. So while you would be 17 days behind the 8 ball - I would like to donate the Academy Challenge code, to a worth recipient. That's if J.Clarkson doesn't want it :)
So PM me, if you want to have a crack at the track!
Its horribly curvy, but reminiscent of Bathurst in some ways...

Well SirAlanClive, the esteemed J. Clarkson, was so kind as to give me his Academy Challenge code.
And NOW - in the spirit of paying it forward! I have just received my GT5 Academy Edition box. So while you would be 17 days behind the 8 ball - I would like to donate the Academy Challenge code, to a worth recipient. That's if J.Clarkson doesn't want it :)
So PM me, if you want to have a crack at the track!
Its horribly curvy, but reminiscent of Bathurst in some ways...

I thought it was a little reminiscent of the Nordschleife (just a miniaturised version). It's even got the castle in the distance at the end of the back straight 👍

EDIT: :eek: vicentitoelchoco just passed IMMORTAL for first place. I wonder how many hours the top guys have logged so far on the competition itself.

Last edited:
EDIT: :eek: vicentitoelchoco just passed IMMORTAL for first place. I wonder how many hours the top guys have logged so far on the competition itself.

Yeah saw that IP got him back over night. Damn that top 6 is just getting faster all the time. I start getting close and they just go faster! :grumpy:

Will have another good shot at it today at some point. Keen to get in 1.45.5xx...

Yeah saw that IP got him back over night. Damn that top 6 is just getting faster all the time. I start getting close and they just go faster! :grumpy:

Will have another good shot at it today at some point. Keen to get in 1.45.5xx...

Started playing the TT again last night after a reasonably lengthy break from it. Takes me about 30 minutes to get back up to my PB and probably another 30 minutes to get a quicker time.

I think the leaders will break into the 1:44's soon. Will probably need a 1:45.1xx at minimum for a top 6 finish by the end of the month...Europeans why are you so quick!

IMMORTALPILOT, would love to know how much time you've spent on this challenge so far.
Have followed the top times over the month so far and yes I think a 1:45.1xx should guarantee a top six place.... unless a lot of new (very fast) entrants turn up in the final few days.

IMMORTALPILOT, would love to know how much time you've spent on this challenge so far.
Have followed the top times over the month so far and yes I think a 1:45.1xx should guarantee a top six place.... unless a lot of new (very fast) entrants turn up in the final few days.

1 IMMORTALPILOT 1:45.026 17/01 20:49:13
2 vicentitoelchoco 1:45.045 18/01 19:36:22

These times are truly sick. Bravo!
No doubt they are playing almost everyday. (few days off here and there)

I'm wondering where Phenicks & Ti-Tech have gone?
Possibly still practicing :scared: ? Not posting their times, hoping to slow the competition down.

Possibly still practicing :scared: ? Not posting their times, hoping to slow the competition down.

I'm pretty sure that's the case yeah, a bit like GTA 2010. I got back to this TT yesterday and tried it without ABS, and was back on the pace in 20 min (1.47.0). Then tried it with ABS at 1 and the car felt hopelessly understeery, and could only get within .3s of my best. Has anyone else tried this as well?

I'm pretty sure that's the case yeah, a bit like GTA 2010. I got back to this TT yesterday and tried it without ABS, and was back on the pace in 20 min (1.47.0). Then tried it with ABS at 1 and the car felt hopelessly understeery, and could only get within .3s of my best. Has anyone else tried this as well?

No, I haven't, but it sounds like a plan.

I installed GT5 AE today, redeemed the codes but no extra events are showing up in seasonal events, everything else seems to be working fine, has anyone got any ideas why it's not showing up?

These times are truly sick. Bravo!
No doubt they are playing almost everyday. (few days off here and there)

Phenicks083 is back now, will be interesting to see how leaderboard develops in the closing few days. It has got closer at top now. I would be surprised if no more aliens turn up, so far looking quite good for current people in .0XX and .1XX .

I installed GT5 AE today, redeemed the codes but no extra events are showing up in seasonal events, everything else seems to be working fine, has anyone got any ideas why it's not showing up?

I'd expect things to be good for you now Rob? You have registered I hope (see the first post for the link) although that doesn't affect the race appearing or not. Do let us know if you found the race.

I'd expect things to be good for you now Rob? You have registered I hope (see the first post for the link) although that doesn't affect the race appearing or not. Do let us know if you found the race.
No joy yet I'm sorry to say, still can't find anything new in the seasonal events. I did register but I was just grasping at straws hoping it would somehow help my game to load the race.:boggled:

No joy yet I'm sorry to say, still can't find anything new in the seasonal events. I did register but I was just grasping at straws hoping it would somehow help my game to load the race.:boggled:

OK... theory no. 2: Where (what country) is your (master) psn account registered in?
Is it outside of the list of eligible countries? If so, make a new one quick!
Some people used the Hong Kong trick to get birthday cards for the Ferrari formula 1's etc. You didn't go down that path did you?

OK... theory no. 2: Where (what country) is your (master) psn account registered in?
Is it outside of the list of eligible countries? If so, make a new one quick!
Some people used the Hong Kong trick to get birthday cards for the Ferrari formula 1's etc. You didn't go down that path did you?
I'm in the UK so I should be eligible. No Hong Kong tricks or anything it's just a regular account. When the race showed up for you in the seasonals was it the first one on the list? I keep scrolling right through to the old ones at the end thinking I've missed it, but it's definitely not there.

I'm in the UK so I should be eligible. No Hong Kong tricks or anything it's just a regular account. When the race showed up for you in the seasonals was it the first one on the list? I keep scrolling right through to the old ones at the end thinking I've missed it, but it's definitely not there.

First one. I guess you're old enough? (Had to ask...no offence).
Sign out then sign in again?

picture.php

Check your region by going to account settings, billing information, then the second screen showing your address. The Country/Region box is not adjustable and probably comes from the original registration info:

picture.php

Last edited:
First one. I guess you're old enough? (Had to ask...no offence).
Sign out then sign in again?

picture.php
Seeing that pic is pretty frustrating..lol Yes way above the minimum age. I've tried signing out and turning everything off and on, I also tried starting a new account but it's not showing up there either. I wonder if there is a game support I could email?
I'll get busy with google.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm completely out of things to try

Check your region by going to account settings, billing information, then the second screen showing your address. The Country/Region box is not adjustable and probably comes from the original registration info:
I just saw this part, ok thanks I'll go and check that.

hey, thanks again for helping :)

edit.
The region is correct it says United Kingdom

After some more research I think I've found the problem, there should be two code vouchers and I only have one. I'll get on to game support:tup:

Last edited:
Yes with the Academy Edition there should be one code for a bunch of DLC and another code for the Special Event.

I think the top times with people at 1:45.1xx aren't too safe of a top six finish, am guessing the last 24 hours will see a lot of activity and a drop in times by existing/new racers.

Hopefully a 45.0xx does make it cause I don't think I'm going to be able to go any quicker! In my mind I'm 5th at moment cause I fully expect Ti-Tech and outburner to go sub 45.

Hopefully a 45.0xx does make it cause I don't think I'm going to be able to go any quicker! In my mind I'm 5th at moment cause I fully expect Ti-Tech and outburner to go sub 45.

Am I right in thinking that Outburner976, Ti-Tech85 and Phenicks083 are brothers?
Well done btw and good luck. Some amazing opposition you've got there.

what are the chances of someone having passport troubles/criminal convictions in the top 6? xD

Seriously though, 45.0xx's are just insane. Let alone sub 45's... Its hard to think Ti-tech did a 45.3xx in the first 4 days of the competition.. mind bendingly fast!

Am I right in thinking that Outburner976, Ti-Tech85 and Phenicks083 are brothers?
Well done btw and good luck. Some amazing opposition you've got there.

Yeah they are brothers, and all made it to Silverstone race camp, I think outburner (Thibault) got closest to winning GTA in 2011 when he came in second.

Awesome lap by the way Rutter. 👍

Thought I'd repost something from Tidgney's video thread, his GTA Challenge tutorial!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFk3L0Mk_sU

Thanks again to Tidgney, a lot of very useful tips in there.

1:45 has been broken, congratulations.

1 vicentitoelchoco 1:44.989 25/01 03:55:21

Could this be the start of all top six times being sub 1:45 at the end of the month???

Wow, look at the time at which he set it, that must've been an all-nighter. :crazy:

But yeah, I expect that in order to finish in the top six, you'll either have to have a 1.44 or at least a sub-1.45.04 .

I'm already happy to be in the 1.46's, my goal is to have a low 1.46 by the end.

Back