GT Sport Beta - Update 1.08

• Thread starter Jump_Ace
  • 240 comments
Buy a DS4 2.0, they do have pressure sensitive face buttons.

Last saturday (8th of july):

Race 1 @ dragontrail Gr.3:

End of first lap when exiting the highspeed chicane in sector 3 someone put me into the side-railing: +1,5second penalty (i was banged into, couldnt keep car from hitting the barrier).

Race 2 @ dragontrail Gr.3:

Race starts; the entire pack moving to the first chicane -i started in p3 & held my place into the braking zone-, as i nailed the apex someone used me as a brake -smashed right into my rear bumper- instant 10second penalty given to me... I quit the race and lost S sportsmanship ranking and my A driver ranking.

I haven't raced since. There's no point in me trying to race if I nail my braking & apex just to receive a 10second penalty because someone else decides to use my ride as a brake (braking mistakes happen but this was a clear case of banging into the guy ahead of you without using brakes).

I really hope PD fixes this... otherwise there'll be no point in playing sport mode for me, :/
If this kind of thing isn't fixed, sport mode will be chaos in the full game. It would also, by itself, be enough of a reason for me not to buy the console and the game.

Yes, once I got a great push from the back. I got an orange SR rating in addition to 10 sec of penalty.
So frustrated.

Wow, really?? This is ridiculous. I better avoid sport mode and stick to lobbies, PD really screwed up. Who knows what kind of bad sports there'll be... imagine the usual good sports pulling a 🤬 move just to win, they probably will abuse this.

I have issues with my crappy internet and lag,now i don't know how the other people see it but this is how it is for me.Sorry to anyone who think i am doing this deliberately,yes i cop the penalty and keep moving on.This has happened several times lately.

I always find this curious.

By definition, games have instant access to telemetry. It'd take a human or three a couple of minutes to have a look at throttle, brake, steering and g-meters of any two cars in any given situation and work out who boinked who and where and be almost always right*. Why can't games do the same thing and give an appropriate penalty in, say, 15 seconds?

*It's not a simple matter, but most of the time the car that suddenly experiences forward acceleration while braking in a braking zone with the throttle closed is the one that has been hit, while the one that suddenly experiences deceleration beyond what the application of the brakes should allow or with the throttle open is the one that has done the hitting. That's going to account for at least 75% of incidents - but even if it's only 50% of them and the game gets it wrong 10% of the time, that's better than 100% of collisions giving both of you penalties...
As a programmer who works in a field of rudimentary AI (hvac controls), I can tell you that what most don't realize is how hard it is to program a computer to "see" or "figure out" what is "going on" with just hard data. The human brain is so adept at interpreting input data (senses) that we don't even realize it and thus much of what we process seems obvious or self evident. Computers are dumb, that is, they are only as capable as the programming inside them. There are certain tasks they can do WAY better than people (number crunching, drawing pictures, anything that can be reduced to basic math) and others that they are weak at because they require so much programming in order to interpret the data properly (because there are too many variables and special cases to consider). In this case, this falls in the the AI embodiment issue where, as evolutionary creatures, our brains are highly specialized in processing things like spacial orientation and movement analysis and prediction of ourselves and other objects in the world because our survival depends on it. This is highly linked to our vision as well. For a computer to do this is like trying to teach trigonometry to a five year old (not the best analogy but there you go). There is so much that we just "know" that becomes a non trivial task to "explain" to another.
It is not an impossible problem, but there may be a limit of (realtime) computing resources issue here with GT (and of course their quality and abilities to program as well in this area).

I have issues with my crappy internet and lag,now i don't know how the other people see it but this is how it is for me.Sorry to anyone who think i am doing this deliberately,yes i cop the penalty and keep moving on.This has happened several times lately.

First, are you using Wifi on your PS4? If so, shame on you, lol. 2nd, I think you can clear your internet cache to help with that, IIRC. 3rd, shoulda known not to pass there of all places especially if the lag semmingly put the car out wide for every turn. You would've probably had to put all 4 on the dirt to pass there IRL.

Jerome

First, are you using Wifi on your PS4? If so, shame on you, lol. 2nd, I think you can clear your internet cache to help with that, IIRC. 3rd, shoulda known not to pass there of all places especially if the lag semmingly put the car out wide for every turn. You would've probably had to put all 4 on the dirt to pass there IRL.

Jerome

Thanx,Yeah i only have wifi (yes i hate it)at the moment still waiting for land line,who knows how long that will take.Aussie NBN seems to be taking forever to get here,200 yrs behind the rest of the world.

Computers are dumb, that is, they are only as capable as the programming inside them.
That's where a deep neural network would come into play and help in such situations, since we don't need to write code but *only* feed it with reliable data. Here, the learning data in/out could be:
- Input data: for a given player's car, the positions of surrounding cars preceding an incident, the track geometry, brake/accel input, all this over a short period of time.
- Output data: that's the tricky part, the penalty that humans would likely gives to that player.
And all this in a massive amount (maybe 10,000 (?) cases for a start, then more to get something better).
The only way to build that learning database today would be to submit to each GTS online player a few cases (for example between races) consisting of a short video of an incident (not one they would have been involved) and a responsibility (blaming) rating for involved cars as an input.

The trained neural network would then be injected in all servers running the race (or client if the client do that).

Hi guys.. probably the wrong place to post this but cant find a thread regarding this issue?

I have been busy for a few days and have not used my PS4 in about a week, anyway in that time the 1.08 update was released and I finally got around to updating last night and tried 2 events... in both events my throttle is stuttering between 75-90% throttle and that's even in 3rd 4th and 5th gears? I tried the Genesis @ Willow and the GT-R @ Dragon Trail and both events hampered by this horrible issue 👎

So whilst I was away from my PS4 for a few days did my pedals break or has this update done something to my set up? I am using a G29 and never had issues like this until now :( have any other G29 users experienced a similar problem? have the pots gone in my pedals? just need some feedback before I start taking my pedals apart unnecessarily.. Thanks in advance for any help :cheers: because my gaming is stopped dead with this issue 👎

Did you bounce it off a wall or something. The new update now has damage and it drastically slows the car down. I have a G29 as well and I noticed a few updates ago that the throttle wasn't as responsive but it's been fixed.

Hi guys.. probably the wrong place to post this but cant find a thread regarding this issue?

I have been busy for a few days and have not used my PS4 in about a week, anyway in that time the 1.08 update was released and I finally got around to updating last night and tried 2 events... in both events my throttle is stuttering between 75-90% throttle and that's even in 3rd 4th and 5th gears? I tried the Genesis @ Willow and the GT-R @ Dragon Trail and both events hampered by this horrible issue 👎

So whilst I was away from my PS4 for a few days did my pedals break or has this update done something to my set up? I am using a G29 and never had issues like this until now :( have any other G29 users experienced a similar problem? have the pots gone in my pedals? just need some feedback before I start taking my pedals apart unnecessarily.. Thanks in advance for any help :cheers: because my gaming is stopped dead with this issue 👎
Do you have other games to try it on? Can you hook it up to a pc or lap top or tablet and test calibrate the pedals?

Not sure if i hit a wall at Dragon Trail and there's not many walls on Willow.. I have a PS3 with GT6 downloaded version so will hook it up to that and see what happens 👍 Just wanted to see if it was my issue alone or something multiple G29 users were experiencing since the new update and it seems to be a hardware issue of my own rather than software error for all.. boo :(

Thanks for the suggestion guys :cheers: off to try out other compatible games and download the logitech software to hook it to my pc and hopefully find a fix 👍

Is it just me or anyone else not unlocking any cars when hitting the daily 42km drive? I seem to still earn them but when I reach the daily limit, nothing unlocks and if I go to my profile, it still shows 0km driven. This has persisted for the past four days save for one which I was still able to unlock a new car (Vision GT Volkswagon iirc).

Is it just me or anyone else not unlocking any cars when hitting the daily 42km drive? I seem to still earn them but when I reach the daily limit, nothing unlocks and if I go to my profile, it still shows 0km driven. This has persisted for the past four days save for one which I was still able to unlock a new car (Vision GT Volkswagon iirc).

Same here but I think that's because you have all of them.

Not sure if i hit a wall at Dragon Trail and there's not many walls on Willow.. I have a PS3 with GT6 downloaded version so will hook it up to that and see what happens 👍 Just wanted to see if it was my issue alone or something multiple G29 users were experiencing since the new update and it seems to be a hardware issue of my own rather than software error for all.. boo :(

Thanks for the suggestion guys :cheers: off to try out other compatible games and download the logitech software to hook it to my pc and hopefully find a fix 👍
The Logitech software will tell you if the pedals are working as they should. If you experience the same issue in the software then you know it's the pedals. If not, then it's the game. I don't know if you can get a firmware update for the G29. I know you can't on the G27.

Australians playing japanese... how many ping you get in there?
You guys are usually screwed up in this, you are quite isolated from the rest of the world and your pings are usually high. You better be playing only with other australians or new zealanders.
This is not really an issue of the game

Could it be related to the game being unable to sync with the cloud? I noticed that sometimes i get a car from the previous session when i restart the game.
If you didn't try yet, quit the game completely (with "Option button > Close" from the PS4 home menu GTS icon) and be sure that your PS4 system is updated. Hope that helps (i'm not very optimistic, but why not trying)

I was using a tmaster rs300 with g27 pedals and the same happened to me a couple of updates back, i will try them again this week and let you know if it was update or maybe they are worn out, but they did work ok on the crew afterwards.
Stewy

Last night, I raced in Willow Springs
I notice that the value of the penalty timer will decrease if you:
-run 2 wheel on sand (off the track)
-spin out

Australians playing japanese... how many ping you get in there?
You guys are usually screwed up in this, you are quite isolated from the rest of the world and your pings are usually high. You better be playing only with other australians or new zealanders.
This is not really an issue of the game

It's usually just me vs Asia with the odd Aussie here and there and i think i have only raced against 1 from NZ,my pings are anything from 135 to over 200 but usually hovers between 140 to 150 + and have been disconnected a few times as well.Hopefully when land line gets here it will improve slightly,i just try and cruise around and hope not get in way if i know it's going to be like that.Nothing worse than getting slammed by a car that pops out of no where and you get 10 sec penalty.Onwards i will go and i am having fun. Also thanx for the reply.

I always find this curious.

By definition, games have instant access to telemetry. It'd take a human or three a couple of minutes to have a look at throttle, brake, steering and g-meters of any two cars in any given situation and work out who boinked who and where and be almost always right*. Why can't games do the same thing and give an appropriate penalty in, say, 15 seconds?

*It's not a simple matter, but most of the time the car that suddenly experiences forward acceleration while braking in a braking zone with the throttle closed is the one that has been hit, while the one that suddenly experiences deceleration beyond what the application of the brakes should allow or with the throttle open is the one that has done the hitting. That's going to account for at least 75% of incidents - but even if it's only 50% of them and the game gets it wrong 10% of the time, that's better than 100% of collisions giving both of you penalties...

I would think a lot of the front to back stuff would be easier to figure out. Defined braking zones, for example, where blame is automatically assigned to the rear car in a two car incident, would be a simple one. I would also think that deliberate incidents, where on car turns into another, would be relatively easy as well.

Solution would be collecting user driving telemetry from offline and/or online and analyse current driver normal braking points, opening throttle and lines, combining those on car positions on race row position (earlier braking, later acceleration due queue driving), overall turning smoothness on certain corners, after all these they could count rate percentage for every basic driving situation for current driver. When driver fails to stay on those before accident, considering all previous percentages collected from him they could put percentage vs. Percentage and punish with that.
Also punishment would be easier to give after race when you have full data of behaviour during last race and full data log from earlier races, data log doesn't have to collect more than counted succession percentages.
Penalizing directly after accident leaves more room to give wrong penalties, but after race there's better sum to count, and those accidents between two particular cars would be way easier to count after "seen" (by percentages) how they behave before and after accident.

Solution would be collecting user driving telemetry from offline and/or online and analyse current driver normal braking points, opening throttle and lines, combining those on car positions on race row position (earlier braking, later acceleration due queue driving), overall turning smoothness on certain corners, after all these they could count rate percentage for every basic driving situation for current driver. When driver fails to stay on those before accident, considering all previous percentages collected from him they could put percentage vs. Percentage and punish with that.
Also punishment would be easier to give after race when you have full data of behaviour during last race and full data log from earlier races, data log doesn't have to collect more than counted succession percentages.
Penalizing directly after accident leaves more room to give wrong penalties, but after race there's better sum to count, and those accidents between two particular cars would be way easier to count after "seen" (by percentages) how they behave before and after accident.

Then they could apply either time or grid penalties.

stewy

Would it be impossible to have some human spectators that gave the penalties? I think that would be so cool.

I'd rather have a penalty done by the system. I just don't trust people. They may want to sabatoge the race and give the winner a penalty for nothing just to 'make it more interesting'. No thanks. #preventtrolling

Jerome

Then they could apply either time or grid penalties.

stewy
Which is more realistic than forced time penalties during race.
They're anyway getting driver "best effort" for each one from qualification, which can be used on short term baseline comparison chart, on long term collecting more percentages for current driver and penalty system would work better, driving ranks and sportsmanship rating are one part of his baseline chart.
After final release there could be "quick races" with baseline from qualification only, not combined on SR/DR, and combinations of using qualification baseline plus SR/DR as needed rank for entry, or full baseline based on qualification plus full data collection from every raced race and qualification.
That data would result several percentage values for current driver, i.e. Track 1, average brake point on first corner, average speed thru first corner, average point of acceleration out from corner, average distance from optimal line, which could be counted first from coded line and then from fastest median line recorded from all drivers.. And so on. There's many ways how they could do proper penalty system by using data available already,, they just have to combine big data to useful data, they are anyway processing needed data, why not use it on better way? They don't have to keep recorded races on server, just processing it once and saved user data is few kilobits size and accurate.

I've yet to see a penalty system in a racing game that works better than having no penalties, either that or have cars ghosting through each other if they are approaching each other at a high enough velocity.

It's so frustrating when you drive faster and cleaner than an opponent but finish behind them due to a huge time penalty.

Back