GT Sport worth it in 2020?

I'd say it is... I'd say its the best time to buy. Heaps of content. However I would limit my expenditure if you were intending to go to PS5 so I would question spending too much on a Pro... if you find that std. PS4 performance acceptable.

I played since launch on a standard ps4, on a 46" 720p tv and that was actually great, only recently started playing on a 4k tv with a pro and honestly I was perfectly content in my old set up, yes a little higher res is nice, during gameplay the difference is barely noticeable.
The game will be playable on ps5 as well so yea its worth buying, but buy a used system if you can.

It depends what you are looking for in a racing game.

GT Sport is good, but at the same time there are some things that could be better.

I'll start with the good things

- Matchmaking system - as you progress in online sport mode races, you will be given a Driver rating that will put you against similarly skilled drivers. So, more intense and close racing.

- Daily races - 3 different online races available 24/7. Every week there are new races. 1st one is usually on small track with a slow cars and it's the shortest, 2nd one is on a larger track with faster cars and takes a bit longer to finish. 3rd one is the longest and it includes tyre wear and fuel consumption, so pit stops are available.

- FIA Races - My favourite thing about the game. These races are longer than the one in daily race and are the most enjoyable/intense races in the game.

- Good driving psychics - not the most advanced ones ( not on the same level as asseto corsa, iRacing etc ), but they good. From what I heard they are also more realistic and harder than the ones in Forza, so depends on you if you like it that way or not.

- Photomode - the photomode is really great.

- Livery editor and liveries - you can create some very nice and authentic liveries ( if you have the patience and skill of course ), but also find some liveries from other players that you can use.

Things that could be better:

- The penalty system - it's not particularly good. It's better than nothing, but sometimes it can lead to undeserved penalties. It is avoidable if you are careful enough though.

- Cars - the game has about 330 cars now, but there are still some iconic/popular cars missing. This is the biggest thing you'll miss from Forza. The car list in a bit...wasted. Over the years of support, they added some great ones that are used a lot by players, but also some that were a bit strange. For example, Fiat 500, Mazda Demio, Honda fiat and more, while cars liek lexus lfa, porsche Carrera GT, other sports cars and many great racing cars were left behind. However, the cars have better graphics and better sounds than the ones in forza.

- Tracks - Track list is not bad at all, but it still misses some great real life tracks. Also, there is no original GT track from older games included.

- Categories - Basically, in a category called Gr1, Group C cars from 80s are racing against modern hybrid LMP1 cars as well as older non hybrid LMP1s and fictional prototypes. Then in N class which is category for road cars, modern Mazda MX5 is the same class as old Volkswagen Bus. Categories are a good thing, but they are also strangely divided in some cases.

- Daily Races - The only issue with these races is that often, they are the same combos over and over.

- Singleplayer Mode - this depends mainly on if you like to play singleplayer. Even those it has singleplayer content, it's not larger enough nor on the same level as in older GT games or on Forza, Project Cars.

Hope this helps.

Also the addition of Assetto Corsa Competizione is coming to console. That's another game you could add if you want to buy a PS4 Pro.

I hav a base PS4 hooked up to a 7 year old 36" Sony Smartv. Games still look good enough for me. Can't wait to get a PS5 and upgrade my gaming tv.

Depends on your financial situation. But if you have the means and like to race against other people online, then yes - there is great fun (and sometimes frustration) to be had. Be aware that you have to pay for a PSN subscription also, to race online.

I'd get a used regular PS4 with the PS5 on the way.

The game is absolutely worth it, it has it's faultd but the ability to race reasonably evenly matched people every 10 or so minutes is intoxicating.

Back