GT3 Drift Guide now online

• Thread starter CudaMan
  • 299 comments
monouk: control ur throttle input.. so u don't do 5min burnouts in 1st..if u feel theres too much wheelspin, lessen the amount of gas n u should be fine.. don't need to change anything like gearing or tcs.. :/

speedy drifter: yea i do :P its a lot faster (imo) in the smaller turns than using sims, altho i've yet to try with a wheel.. its really just a cheating way to get to do some basic drift work, but if u really wanna work at it, try using sims as u can maintain the car a lot longer in a drift..

hope it helps :x

Originally posted by Monouk
I have my Sprinter here, ~350hp, and when I turn off my TCS, I cant even get off the line...takes me about a minute to got from 0 to 60 beacuse my wheels just keep spinning and spinning and spinning...the only way I can find to fix that is to turn my TCS on at 1. I think shortening my first few gears might help a little, but I hate messing with gear ratios...takes waaay to long, and autogearing is so easy....anything I can do to fix it?
Try giving it less gas, and/or starting out in 2nd or 3rd gear. Keep wheelspin to a minimum.

I used to be good at drifting in GT2 back before GT3 was out, but I got out of it...I've had GT3 for a long time now but just now tried drifting in it and I suck :( I understand all the basics and how and works, but everytime I try to drift a corner I end up going wide and off the outside of the track. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Hey all, my first post:D , anyway, me and my boy mastered the GT2 drifting concept and we have been into the drift since SS came out with its first drift issue in think 96' or 97', But he doesnt have a PS2 so now i have basically mastered the solo drift cause going Touge in 2 players with someone who hasnt had much GT3 expierence, theres alot of contact, lol, but i want to know how i can record my replays, i dont have a shark port or anything like that, and i dont think webcam would be that good of quality:P , but where do i get a shark port or somthing so i can transfer Downloaded cars into my mem card, but. anyway. nice to see theres more drifters in GT3 then just me:D , peace.

and yes ID does rule!

HKS_KiD, let me be this first to say welcome to GTPlanet.net! Nice to see another drifter, Im actually trying to learn (past few days) and Im looking for a wheel and some shark things. Ive seen GameSharks and SharkPorts at regular electronics stores like Best Buy, Circuit City, Blockbuster even. Just about any store with a GS would have a SP too. Now if only I could take my friends into coming over and drifting around Apricott Hill with me...

I'm new to this site but i've been playing GT 1,2,3 since they first came out. Just want to make sure, though. Everyone here turns off all the aids right? (ASM & TCS)
And I use analogue accelaration and braking, what does everyone else use? Does anyone else think that the cars all feel a little soft and vague, regardless of how you set them up, especially a few degrees each side of centre (straight)? Don't get me wrong, i love the game but i'd like GT4 to be a bit more knife-edge in terms of its handling and be able to lose control when i'm trying to go fast, and not just when i'm trying to go ultra-sideways ultra-fast.

Drifting is all about maintaing full control of the car even though it looks u have none what so ever so u must turn off all aids to get the full drift expierence:D , And i finally learned how to set up 4WD for the dori, took a while but i got it and its like cheating, lol, its so easy and its so fun, i like FR better thoug, gotta keep REAL:P , any way, this is the car i made that i usually drift with ((Looks nothing like this in the game but we can pretend, and sorry for the bad pic)):odd: ))
SS1202.JPG

Hey I got that issue somewhere around here...Someday Ill be smart and get a GameShark...but until then, Il be looking on eBay for a Logitech Driving Force :-D

YES!!!, i got my shark port, i need someone to send me their saved game so i can check your drift styls and car specs, thanks, off to go figure this thing out, haha, peace:D

LOL, FF Drifting in GT and in real life is almost im possible, but atleast in GT you have the E Brake:D , John Hotchkis was the only person to actually build a FF Drifter and he even said him self that it was a waste of time, so, keep trying maybe youll get it:)

Originally posted by J - [ Spec ]
Is there any special technique to drift FF cars? Because I was trying to drift the Type-R and FTO and they stuck to the road like glue.

Yes…

I find using Sport tyres in front and Sim tyres in the back; it made the back swing out. The E-brake helps in the start of the drift but just a jab is necessary after braking to the required speed. And more jabs to extend the drift in long turn.

Front wheel drive cars don’t drift. Thy drag-ass. LOL

Oh Yes!! FF cars don’t drift like MR, 4WD or FR. For example there is no “power-slide”, AND you cannot make it spin out by slamming the power. OR stop the spinout/drift buy lessening the power. You have to us the e-brake to make the back slide out and have to pull the nose back in line with power and counter steering.

Drifting a FF car is same thing too get use to. (Same of the normal techniques don’t work.)
The back will glide past the front if there is no acceleration to the driving wheels, and when you accelerate the nose will pull out, in front of the back.
With car side-ways and the steering in the neutral/forward position adding power will drag the car into a curve/arc…

The think is, I wish I can do a write-up and explain the technique. But I lack the best words so that I can build the sentences. Sorry.

But take my word, it is possible to drift a FF car. The best is to see the mini Cooper do same thing unusual… DRIFT… That is fanny!

not only can u induce sideways motion in a FWD by e-brake, but u can do it thru feint (scand. flick) and lift-off o/steer or a combination of the 2..

i can induce this in my normal car and so i don't see how it should be vastly different in gt3

Also haveing an offer steer set-ups on my FF car, doe induce the car to lose grip easer but also help to get the car inline again. I also find that the car will start to go backwards (drift backwards or change the direction of the arc) when it goes past 90 degrees sideway to the cars strait line motion (The direction in witch the car is travelling at the time.) and run of the outside of the turn.

LOL, You dont drift an FF car, when you get the rear to break out they are called ass drags, lol, FF drifting defeats the whole purpose of drifting, And for 4WD i do the rock and toss, enter a left turn stering in the opposite direction turning back into the turn and pinning the throttle and just take it from there, and remember, FF rear end breaks outs are not drifts, Drifting as i said before is all about control, and with an FF car your only in control of the Front portion of the car, which you use to control the rear, FR cars and 4WDs are drifters cause your using both ends of the car to Drift. Even initial D knows you cant drift a FF:rolleyes:;).

Originally posted by Power Slay`d
Front wheel drive cars don’t drift. Thy drag-ass. LOL

;) :lol:

But tell a new-by that when this car goes sideways with smoke coming out from the tyres it is NOT drifting...LOL... it's Dragging it's ass...LOL.

~slay'd~

Back