GT5 Sound Thread

• Thread starter Marry_Me_GT
  • 5,638 comments
One thing i do have a problem with in GT5P... You get a sound in the cockpit view. But the bumper/roof/chase cam all have pathetic sounds. (the chase view sound is especially disappointing, as this is indeed outside of the car and you should get the sound of the exhaust).

In GT4 you got the best sound out of chase view. I had a go at bumper cam and you cannot hear the engine unless you crank the volume right up.

I'm not going to say "fix it PD!", but i am going to say, at least make the sounds loud enough to hear from any view, not just the one view you think appropriate.

storage space is one thing, actual RAM is another. PS3 doesn't have too much of that I'm afraid

not much left after holding textures and models for the cars and tracks, and then try and have high quality sounds for 16 cars....

Having better sounds in GT5 would be nice, but honestly, I'm one of those who think Prologue is pretty darn good. I like the tire squeals. They communicate to me how well the tires are riding the grip envelope better than any game I've played yet. Better than GTR, better than rFactor. I think LFS might be the same. And like it or not, agree or not, these sounds are pretty realistic.

If anyone haven't already, I recommend checking the Audio Setting option on your PS3. The default setting is atrocious for stereo only. Since I'm running my audio straight out of the HDMI cable onto my TV speakers in stereo, I check all the stereo options in the setting.

Prior to doing this, all I heard was midrange to upper midrange from most cars and which makes the V8 from BMW M3 sounded like a hairdryer. Another thing I also adjusted since the speakers are just inches away from me is the treble balance. We all know that the upper range of the frequency travels faster so the simple solution is to turn it down a bit (-2 to -3db in my case).

I'm happy to say with these few tweaks the sound has largely improved. I'm sure if I got a better seperate speakers, even if it's just 2.1 stereo, it would be better than what I'm running right now but for now this is good enough. The Audi R8, however, needs work to give it the same harmonic as the real thing.

One thing I thought of is that GT4 and GTPSP only have so much space in the disk to work in. That may be why they had the cruddy sound in GT3,4,PSP. Now, they have the blu-ray which has 50 whopping gigabytes of space! Im betting that they are gonna use that to improve sound in addition to all what is going on. I also think that they wouldnt have put what they had so far in GT5P for people to speculate like we are right now...

Another "low space on disc" theory. Wrong again. In fact, on the disc of GT4 there was lot of unused space.

I still think that the sound is going to be better. I have GTPSP and if you wear headphones and play it, it sounds a heck of a lot better... they just need to tone down some of the sounds and it will be great!

Yeowzers... this interests me. Still, I can't help but imagine that Gran Turismo has such a negative stigma from so many people, often unfairly, that I have a feeling people will complain no matter what.

That's where that sentence should have ended.:lol: For some the world is not enough.

Sound hardware has very little to do with realism of car sounds as long some crappy youtube video sounds better than GT5.

Sound hardware has very little to do with realism of car sounds as long some crappy youtube video sounds better than GT5.

Yeah, my 2.1 setup on youtube sounds way better then my 7.1 surround on GT5Prologue! Sound really adds to the whole experience, Kaz promised improved sounds for GT5 game, I hope he does them right this time.

all the sounds in Shift sound very distorted to me, a real car doesn't sound like that.
They added distortion either in the recording process or deliberately to make things "sound" louder.

Me I want pristine audio...

If GT5 has the Lexus LFA, I sure want it to sound like the real thing - best noise for a road car ever!

Well after playing Forza 3 and PGR4 now on my 360 while waiting for GT5 , I can tell the sounds of this racers are very spot on , I guess PGR4 has the most realism sounds in a videogame and I played many racers . The carsounds are in every view different . When you on the hoodview you hear the turbos and the engine. In the chaseview you have the muffler screaming , and the cockpit sound is just real. I know its hard to record all original sounds for GT5 its too many cars but Forza did it with over 400 so PD could do it better :D .The sounds make alot of feeling even for the sense of speed, you don't move faster but it feels faster when your car scream like in reallife. When i hear the BMW M3 in the cockpit view ... I am about to cry in GT5P... :(

Well lets hope !! GT5 isnt here yet :)

Well after playing Forza 3 and PGR4 now on my 360 while waiting for GT5 , I can tell the sounds of this racers are very spot on

PGR4 had great sounds. The supercharger sound on the Ariel Atom is just absolutely amazing. Why isn't there a PGR5...:(

PD Should get the sound team from PGR

PGR4 had great sounds. The supercharger sound on the Ariel Atom is just absolutely amazing. Why isn't there a PGR5...:(

PD Should get the sound team from PGR

yeah PGR4 has the best sounds of all racers IMO.

Yeah PD should take this soundteam :D

Too bad The PGR developers making now that crappy BLUR game mario kart with real cars instead of a PGR5 :grumpy:

just listen to the R8 in PGR4 and to the R8 in GT5P ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XeHtpzIAeA

Sound in that video is nice, accurate in tone but it is excessive, the noise by far overbears the tyre and wind sounds at speed. Stock R8 isn't that loud from the cockpit.

Standard production cars generally are not all that loud in standard form in the cockpit, Ford has even gone to the point of adding sound tubes under the dash to put more engine sound in the cockpit.

This to me is how it should be done - just a humble Fiat...

Realistic and flowing. Not overdone or hollywood like

And enough variation in the sound. I hate static samples!
Every gear and change should result in a different tone over time

Last edited:
Well, first of all let me tell you guys that as like many of you, I´m a GT fan for life. It is really cool that at last someone discusses such important topic like the sound in GT. Like most of you, I have noticed how this feature is very dissapointing in what is supposed to be the Ultimate Driving Simulator. First was GT1, with its fake engine sounds(there were like three engine sounds only), that nobody cared about since by that time, there was nothing like GT. GT2 brought all of us the maximum experience in racing sims in that time, and it was beautiful to see that most of the cars had "realistic" engine sounds, and you could notice that diference in, lets say, 75% of the cars. Then it was GT3...No complaints, except for a few cars (v8 race cars with the "vaccum cleaner" engine and others), but I was expecting that in GT4,things were going to change for good...GT4 came and not only I was dissapointed on the small downgrade on the grafics, and the harsh driving physics, but along came the same fake engine sounds from the previous two GT´s. I notice it not imidiatly, but only when I completed the American All Stars Championship(I think it was), and got the LM Camaro...I almost cried when testing the car expecting a roaring V8, I got...yes...the racing vaccum cleaner...after that, with alot of dissapointment, I discovered that only like 25 percent of the cars sounded like there real counterparts, and the rest were recycled from the previous titles...Be cause of this, I coulnt enjoy most of my favourite cars like the C5 corvette, the old Viper(GTS, not SRT10), the Sallen S7, and many more who don´t even get close of how they sound in real life...GT5P came to the market and I got it even before I got my PS3...It was a jawdropping experience, but after alot of playing, I noticed the same problem. Even if the cars sound really nice on the sound fx and the different possisions of the camera, they are the same horrible sounds from previous GT´s, and not only that, even having my PS3 with optical cable directly to a 5.1 Sony Bravia theatre, the sound of the wind is too much, and on the chase camera, cars sound terribly weak . As like many of you guys, I cannot understand why if Mr. Yamauchi states that he is such a perfectionist, he cannot get this right...Other thing is that when you modify a car in previous games, when changing the exhaust, the engine sounded even worst. For example: Try putting a racing(or semi) exhaust on a Camaro, and it will instantly change to an inline six cylinder!! Come on!! Even NFS gets the engine sounds right!! If you change the exhaust on a V8 car, it still sounds like a V8, but louder!!! And its NFS for crying out loud!!!(nothing against NFS. I had them all) I really hope that on the final version, we get at last what is keeping GT from being the Real Driving Simulator. I´m not expecting mind blowing FX but at least make every car sound like they have the engine that they have...I´m a car guy, and having a corvette that sounds like a vaccum, is like going to a musseum blindfolded...

To El Drifto and DonZonda:
You guys are right! The R8 not only does it sound weak, but in the first pages of this discussion, I was reading that the R8 was being recorded for GT5P on a press show, or something. Thats not true...If you guys have GT4, please undust your PS2´s(or force your PS3´s) and play the game. Go to Audi and buy the RS6...listen to the engine sound...I know that cars have similar if not the same engine block, but COME ON , Polyphony!!! Its the same sound efect! the only diference is that the turbo effect has been deleted in GT5P!

Last edited by a moderator:
Their sound team is just the weakest part of Polyphony Digital. Physics, graphics, presentation, all this is two or three classes beyond sound part of the game. And that's just very bad, PD should change the sound team if they don't work up to standards of GT.

I'm pleased with the advance in sound you can hear in the GT Academy time trial of the 370z! Much better tyre sounds. Different interior and exterior tones, with gear box whine in the interior. No more short loopy pitch shifted type sounds. More meat to it, and it's realistic sounding. The type of tone you expect from a street car

even the relative volumes of the various sounds seem good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DuafoCfHbk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OLN8FyavhA

things are looking good for the full GT5 experience!

I'm pleased with the advance in sound you can hear in the GT Academy time trial of the 370z! Much better tyre sounds. Different interior and exterior tones, with gear box whine in the interior. No more short loopy pitch shifted type sounds. More meat to it, and it's realistic sounding. The type of tone you expect from a street car

even the relative volumes of the various sounds seem good

things are looking good for the full GT5 experience!

I see people are still complaining about the engine/exhaust sounds, but IMO it sounds like the real thing! Even the tyre noise sound similar

see 1:02 for example and compare to the 2nd vid above

Last edited:
Back