GT6 Demo in July!

• Thread starter NCRthree
  • 1,286 comments
Just switched back to GT5 from the GT6 demo. Physics are so dull, and the car is lifeless in GT5, in the GT6 demo the car is so much more alive, and constantly moving.

The demo deem so much more crisp as well. Looking forward to getting the full version.

I couldn't agree with you more. :lol:

Finally got to play this yesterday and I'm impressed with the changes. Love the updated tracks, the new physics and I like how Silverstone looks.

The AI still need work as they are so poor but apart from that I'm looking forward to the full game.

However, my best lap of the GT time trial came from having TC on at 5. I switched it all off and the car became so twitchy and even under partial throttle the back end was coming out. I just don't understand how and why the physics have changed this so much. My highest place was 399, I've probably dropped since then and I'm around 4 seconds slower than the top time.

Just tried this "demo" today
First impression: mixed.

The design is quite cheap in my opinion, and the "advises" from Lucas O. that appear in blue text already gives a feeling of a 15 years old game. That's nothing, but it gives a first bad impression

Then I raced: OK, as advertised, the feeling of the car is very nice, with the car moving a lot from right to left in the turns (a little bit too excessive in my opinion, like in forza), and the feeling of the tire grip is amazing. BUT, I don't know how to say it exactly in engligh, the graphics are NOT SMOOTH at all, a feeling of "lags" and "image shaking" which is absent in GT5 for me (running on a slim PS3). Very very annoying. Second, that's a detail, but boring anyway, I cannot set the speed in km/h, it is in miles/hour; that's not too bad (but strange); but at the same time the car's speedometer (in the interior) is maxed at 180km/h, so on the straight line the meter already hits the upper boundary, not a real problem but come on, they include two cars and the quickest car's speedometer stops at 180km/h, already a bug or is that true in the real 370z (can't believe it). Same problem with the exterior view in the leaf: the speedometer stops at 80 (miles/h) but the car goes above, so silly.

I fear a lot for GT6 for the moment, but anyway, as many here I will buy and play it a lot anyway :-)

First impressions from demo is PD look like they need to pull of a miracle to get GT6 to a decent standard. Hopefully they manage to make many breakthroughs in the next few months. Also physics wise, suspension on the tuned 370Z is way too good to be accurate. Don't think rollovers are possible in this demo so that is maybe why and some sort of magic stability thing has been added.

Did this. Nothing.

Did this, and it unlocked some races with the GT-R.

Do you ever get the GT-R in your garage?

Ah, I thought the full lap only opened up once you'd done the sectors; I did them in sequence. Yeah, you have to do them all, either way.

No, you don't get the GTR in your garage, not that it makes a difference. There is one more race / "event" left to open up, though.

but at the same time the car's speedometer (in the interior) is maxed at 180km/h, so on the straight line the meter already hits the upper boundary, not a real problem but come on, they include two cars and the quickest car's speedometer stops at 180km/h, already a bug or is that true in the real 370z (can't believe it).

Japanese cars generally come with a limiter that won't let them go above 180kmph. That's why you'll rarely see speedometers on JDM cars go above that.

The limiters are only fitted in Japan, before someone asks. They're removed for export models.

Japanese cars generally come with a limiter that won't let them go above 180kmph. That's why you'll rarely see speedometers on JDM cars go above that.

The limiters are only fitted in Japan, before someone asks. They're removed for export models.

This is what makes me wish they'd include some form of interior customisation so we can fit an aftermarket speedo..

Hmm, about these framerate drops people have been having, a similar thing happened to my friend during the Crysis 3 MP beta, he would get drops but mine would run just fine. Anyway, we came up with a theory, he was playing it on a big TV (can't remember exact size), and I was on a 22inch one, so maybe having a larger TV picture causes it?
Of course this is probably complete rubbish, but it worth a try.
Oh also, when he got the full Crysis 3 game, it ran fine, so it was a problem with the not quite finished beta.

Hmm, about these framerate drops people have been having, a similar thing happened to my friend during the Crysis 3 MP beta, he would get drops but mine would run just fine. Anyway, we came up with a theory, he was playing it on a big TV (can't remember exact size), and I was on a 22inch one, so maybe having a larger TV picture causes it?
Of course this is probably complete rubbish, but it worth a try.
Oh also, when he got the full Crysis 3 game, it ran fine, so it was a problem with the not quite finished beta.

No, TV size is irrelevant. Some people are more sensitive to framerate drops than others.

I have 720p I never had some issues with the frame rates...

I do however have problems with GT6 demo itself.. my ps3 is turning off every 15 min, while in the menus and every 1 - 2 hours while in gameplay...

every other game still works perfect..

I managed to get into the top 5k of the first tests and then I noticed I had been doing it all with TCS at 7 :banghead:. Oh well...the demo has been a blast though. Really looking forward to keep thrashing it.

By the way, does anyone know if the speedometer unit can be changed? I have literally no idea what a "mile" is :lol:. My brain thinks in Kilometers PD!!! Also, do you get to drive a GT-R?

By the way, does anyone know if the speedometer unit can be changed? I have literally no idea what a "mile" is :lol:. My brain thinks in Kilometers PD!!! Also, do you get to drive a GT-R?

Try to change the language to a country with metric system - UK, you may need to change the language under XMB settings instead inside the demo. I tried to change mine to Greek - under demo options, and it changed the units to kmh/metric.

I'm a little angry with the graphics in this demo , the game doesnt look as sharp as GT5 and there're some serious AA downgrade too , Silverstone its the worst .

Its a shame because i love the new gameplay and the much faster menus .

Just tried this "demo" today
First impression: mixed.

The design is quite cheap in my opinion, and the "advises" from Lucas O. that appear in blue text already gives a feeling of a 15 years old game. That's nothing, but it gives a first bad impression

Then I raced: OK, as advertised, the feeling of the car is very nice, with the car moving a lot from right to left in the turns (a little bit too excessive in my opinion, like in forza), and the feeling of the tire grip is amazing. BUT, I don't know how to say it exactly in engligh, the graphics are NOT SMOOTH at all, a feeling of "lags" and "image shaking" which is absent in GT5 for me (running on a slim PS3). Very very annoying. Second, that's a detail, but boring anyway, I cannot set the speed in km/h, it is in miles/hour; that's not too bad (but strange); but at the same time the car's speedometer (in the interior) is maxed at 180km/h, so on the straight line the meter already hits the upper boundary, not a real problem but come on, they include two cars and the quickest car's speedometer stops at 180km/h, already a bug or is that true in the real 370z (can't believe it). Same problem with the exterior view in the leaf: the speedometer stops at 80 (miles/h) but the car goes above, so silly.

I fear a lot for GT6 for the moment, but anyway, as many here I will buy and play it a lot anyway :-)

The 370Z in game is rhd and they probably modeled it from the JDM model. Japanese cars are limited to 180kmh from factory thus why the speedo doesn't go above this.

[Full disclosure, I didn't feel like setting up my wheel last night, so I was only using the controller]

The driving experience is much improved over GT5, though I still feel it's a little bit lacking. I had a much better sense of when the tires were losing traction through a turn, something I felt was almost non-existent in GT5. I still don't get the sense that these cars are as powerful as they should be. If I grab second gear in a car with 320hp, how am I not breaking the tires loose? It only happens in a turn, and only then it's not consistent. Maybe it's because I'm not using a clutch?

I have to say, the loading screens are fantastic! From the transitions, to the inclusion of useful pre-race information, it's a welcome addition. The menus themselves are only decent. They're easier to navigate than GT5, but they still look really busy. Obviously there will be changes for the full game so I'm not going to judge it much.

Sounds were actually OK, and this is coming from someone who absolutely couldn't stand the sounds in GT5 (to the point of not wanting to play the game). I could tell that the synthetic whine was still there, but now they've mixed in a louder exhaust sound. The tire sounds seemed fairly realistic. My only real problem was the way certain sounds would decrease in volume when bumping into another car, or hitting rumble strips.

Is anyone else loving the "house" music in the menus as much as me?

Edit: I didn't really notice any difference in the graphics, except that the cars didn't look as sharp as they used to in GT5. Also, I had it set to 1080P on a fat PS3 and didn't notice any slowdown when in cockpit view.

Here's my take on the demo:

Physics is significantly better. In fact, it’s so bloody good that comparison with GT5 would be ridiculous and pointless. It was actually a lot of fun to drive the wild 370Z, unlike before.

BUT… that’s where it all ends…

Unless you’re a geek and know specifically what to look for in graphics improvements, it’s hard to notice any difference. The asphalt still seems like a smooth shiny surface as it did in GT5/GT4. No sign of any of the promised eye candies such as blowing leaves, etc. (hopefully because it’s a demo; hopefully). Shadows have improved. But camera control is still as awful (still no external side view, rigid left/right only eyepoint control).

The GUI and menu interface reminded of the early days of GT5 where we had to go back and forth between multiple race menus just so that we could start the next goddamn race. Y’know why? Because it’s exactly what we have to do now. Again. It’s not a grayed out feature that’s not in the demo. It just doesn’t exist. Finished your race, exit, wait for the main race menu to load, select the next race, wait for it to load, start. Instead of simply next, load, start. DUH!

I know it’s an early demo. I know it’s full of bugs and/or unavailable features (headlight icon in HUD, etc.). And I know they’ll probably release an update in 6 months, giving us a super duper “next race” button because they ‘value’ our feedback. But unfortunately, it seems to mee like the same old PD’s idea of game design all over again:

- Superb context and core experience that is light years ahead of competitors.
- Mediocre delivery and navigation experience that is light years behind lousy arcade games, let alone GT’s main competitors.

I posted this in the GT5 V.I.P. forum but I've figured it might get more notice here, has it been noted that user, Need4Speed685, has set a time for the final locked 15th Anniversary time trial using the GT-R NISMO GT3 N24 Schulze Motorsport '13? His time can be viewed on gran-turismo.com. It doesn't say what track the time was set on (presumably the full Silverstone Circuit) though.

I don't understand how some of you guys can like the cockpit's soft flickering shadows over the more impressive looking hard but slightly jagged cockpit shadows of GT5. The flickering is much more annoying, and the cockpit shadow rendering in general just doesn't look as complex as they did in GT5.

GT6 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV3lqL94OE4

GT5 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leL54U4Z4Qk&t=0m26s

Yup, it looks like an early Codemasters game, you know with the soft picture and a glowy feel to it but without the yellow filter. Gt5 just looks sharper and better, GT6 looks like a sub-HD game, like a stretched PS2 game.

I posted this in the GT5 V.I.P. forum but I've figured it might get more notice here, has it been noted that user, Need4Speed685, has set a time for the final locked 15th Anniversary time trial using the GT-R NISMO GT3 N24 Schulze Motorsport '13? His time can be viewed on gran-turismo.com. It doesn't say what track the time was set on (presumably the full Silverstone Circuit) though.

yep 2:09.393 with a controller

http://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/academy/2013/rankings/

-----
by the way...

> 185000 players in 30 hours....

gt6_last_trial.png

Disappointed, was hoping the Deltawing for the final trial, but oh well.

Too slow to be the GP track.

In the Blancpain Series at Silverstone GP track fastest race lap was 2:02.527 by Lucas Ordonez in a GT-R GT3

In the Blancpain Series at Silverstone GP track fastest race lap was 2:02.527 by Lucas Ordonez in a GT-R GT3

It may be just a test Sony made to fill the ranking table... the lap time was made with a stick and traction set to 5.
Also it is curious it is the only one record... they must entered it with some special access..

It might not have been a hot lap though. I'd only be counting out the GP circuit if it was considerably faster than real life.

Edit: I just noticed the time set in Boxout's screenshot. When I viewed the results, the time was about 2:09ish, I believe. I'm on my phone now so I can't really be bothered checking again but that's interesting...

OK, thanks for the reply, I didn't know that. I remember noticing that "problem" sometimes in GT5 but thought that it was a bug in km <-> miles conversions, but was surprised this bug appears in one of the few cars in a demo that we waited for 3 years ! ; I like driving with the interior view, so a speedometer on such cars stoping at 180 km/h is not far from an "on/off" indicator .... (especially since we tend to look at the speedometer more on straight lines than on curves...)

Have another question that troubles me since the start of GT5 (never tried previous GT) and never read (or understood) the information in the forum: why the cars don't lose speed (or so little) when putting lower gears (that is, if I am at 200 km/h and put the 2nd or even 1st gear, it continues at 190-200 km/h !). Is that also a Janapese thing ? It is still the same in this demo and is a feature that makes the game not realistic at all compared to driving a real car (in a real car, going down gears appropriately allow to lose speed and take turns in a much better way than in GT). In other words: why is there no "engine brake" (hope this is the good translation) in GT ?

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back