GTA V - General Thread

• Thread starter Hollidog
  • 9,032 comments
Considering tgetting the game for the ps3 while I dont' have a PS4, is the game worth on the past gen? I've already played it on the ps4, and I know that it's pretty fun there. I'm just afraid that the lack of updates on content of the ps3 is too big. is there no new cars for the ps3 after launch?

The fun-ness is probably more or less the same. Graphics are worse (but great for being a PS3 game). Most vehicles does not have an interior view on the PS3, instead they have a camera in front of the windshield. Some vehicles have an interior when you ride as a passenger, such as the limo, the fire truck and the Savage.

There were plenty of updates for the PS3, but the latest bunch of updates (for the last year or two?) have been PS4-gen only.

Online: public lobbies are quite messy sometimes but if you find some friends to play with it's okay.

As for if it's worth it, I guess it depends on how much cheaper it is than the PS4 version.

@Rallywagon no no I know. Just decided to fire it up and see how big it would be.

Also, did they change something with the single player physics? I haven't updated the game yet, but I just noticed something completely different from the PS3.

I tried to have some fun drifting around with the Slidey Cars cheat but it's just undriveable on the PS4. Can't move anywhere. Maybe I lost the skill to operate the car properly or I have other memories. In terms of updates I'm still on the Lowrider's update.

The cheat has been broken since late 2015.

If there is one thing that I don't like about GTA V/O it's the lack of being able to properly drift. But.... I find it is kinda doable if I get an suv and shoot out the rear tires.

If there is one thing that I don't like about GTA V/O it's the lack of being able to properly drift. But.... I find it is kinda doable if I get an suv and shoot out the rear tires.

Same here. Cars have way too much grip/traction control or not enough stability to be usable (Slamvan, for example). Additionally, the automatic transmission always shifts at the wrong time.

Dan
Same here. Cars have way too much grip/traction control or not enough stability to be usable (Slamvan, for example). Additionally, the automatic transmission always shifts at the wrong time.
Just spam the handbrake and keep them tyres spinning.

Please tell me the slamming method still works. I can still shoot the hubcaps to lower the cars by two settings correct?

Please tell me the slamming method still works. I can still shoot the hubcaps to lower the cars by two settings correct?

Err, sorta. I heard that slamming cars was patched, but then it was half-brought back, but I have no idea what it's like now.

Dan
As stated above, I'm really not sure since I am not part of the drifting/lowrider/stance community in GTAO. Check on some other forums.

Understood just trying to gauge if the update is even worth the hassle. I just want some cheap fun on my down times. Like almost ano hour. But with GTA it's already a hassle to get it running. Half an hour to turn on :P

GTA does have some of the worst load times, even off of an SSD! But I'd definitely say it's worth it. I'll also hop on here shortly and see if shooting the rims drop the car at all.

Understood just trying to gauge if the update is even worth the hassle. I just want some cheap fun on my down times. Like almost ano hour. But with GTA it's already a hassle to get it running. Half an hour to turn on :P

GTA does have some of the worst load times, even off of an SSD! But I'd definitely say it's worth it. I'll also hop on here shortly and see if shooting the rims drop the car at all.

In the past, GTA V used to have an agonizing startup time. For me, it's much faster now on PS4, but trying to join online lobbies is pathetic. If there's more than one player already in the lobby, all bets are off. If the lobby has 29 other players, you might as well find another game to play.

I go to SP which automatically loads the last quicksave. Going to GTAO from there is pretty quick, especially if your spawn point is indoors.
I would recommend going from SP to an invite only or hitting join crew members/friends. Chances are somebody has a solo public session/crew session set up. Those load pretty quickly for me. Trying to connect to 20-30 players is a nightmare, even if you have a good internet connection.

The driving physics are pretty strange. V is a huge difference from IV's weird wobbly suspension physics. Hopefully VI can go more in depth and finally make drifting possible.

I feel like cars have a sort of traction control. It seems like power stops going to the wheels once you're sliding.

This is one of my biggest gripes with the driving physics. A powerful AWD car like a Zentorno should be able to smoke the tires when pulling a J-turn if you disable TC. In GT5/6, I did that with AWD cars constantly.

The driving physics are pretty strange. V is a huge difference from IV's weird wobbly suspension physics. Hopefully VI can go more in depth and finally make drifting possible.

IV's physics were a bit wonky at times (sports cars such as the Comet bounced along uneven hills like monster trucks) but could still be fun with experience. You had to play like it was a simulator. Flying into turns and braking at the last possible second would send you into a building. Braking zones had to be estimated, and power had to be managed. Let's not forget the abundance of cars that lacked ABS. I think R* could potentially make realistic handling fun as long as it's done properly.

Just tried it, 5 different cars. 2 SUVs, that mini thing, the lotus looking sports car and one of those 1970s Cadillac road boats. None of them moved that I could notice

You can drift cars in GTA 5, but it's not easy. Most cars aren't able because they don't have enough power, however supercars like the Banshee 900R and Itali GTB can do it. What I do in order to drift cars is modulate the handbrake and the accelerator, using one trigger then the other, practically spamming in order to maintain speed and angle. It's like "handbrake-throttle-handbrake-throttle" if you know what I mean - and work the wheel too.

You can drift cars in GTA 5, but it's not easy. Most cars aren't able because they don't have enough power, however supercars like the Banshee 900R and Itali GTB can do it. What I do in order to drift cars is modulate the handbrake and the accelerator, using one trigger then the other, practically spamming in order to maintain speed and angle. It's like "handbrake-throttle-handbrake-throttle" if you know what I mean - and work the wheel too.

Like I said before the last update I actively played was the Lowrider's update. I used to drift online using the Mercedes Coupe with the V12.

Slam it, and then have some parking lot fun

Can't believe GTAV on PS4 is still £40 in CEX. There are even plenty of popular AAA games released in late 2016 that are considerably cheaper. I would've thought it would've been less than £25 by now considering how long it's been released.

Can't believe GTAV on PS4 is still £40 in CEX. There are even plenty of popular AAA games released in late 2016 that are considerably cheaper. I would've thought it would've been less than £25 by now considering how long it's been released.
I'm guessing at this point, it should be called GTA Online with GTA V for free. I believe that is why it's still near the original MSRP. GtaO is still very popular and receiving regular updates.

Last edited:
Has anyone? I got the game a week after launch and still play fairly regularly. Even went through the story twice.

Last I checked I'd racked up 40 days online game play. Just passed level 250. Been playing pretty consistently since release on PS3.

I'm playing through Story Mode on the Xbone, and I have to wonder: does that parking space under Floyd's apartment ever save the cars you've parked? I swear it's never worked, either on last-gen or current-gen. :indiff:

DK
I'm playing through Story Mode on the Xbone, and I have to wonder: does that parking space under Floyd's apartment ever save the cars you've parked? I swear it's never worked, either on last-gen or current-gen. :indiff:

Never worked for me, but then again, I rarely saved any important vehicles in most of the safehouse garages anyway. If a car was significant to me, it would go into one of the secondary garages, that way it would actually save.

DK

It worked on last gen.
Then an update rolled out and it hasn't worked ever since.

I left the PS4 on standby for a couple of days and it turns out it downloaded all the updates... 17GB for GTAV, 12GB for War Thunder, 9GB for Rocket League...

Unbelievable :lol:

Guess I'll hop online and see what's what.

Dan
Has modding gone too far?!
Speaking of modding, it's annoying when you mod your game quite a bit, stop playing for a while, then try to fire it up after an update and the game won't load. Deleting and re-installing for the third time...

Back