GTP Sportscar: General Discussion

• Thread starter AJ
  • 589 comments
AJ
No it isn't, it is completely up to you, either share them or don't. There is no need to waste anyone's time posturing or throwing shade whilst doing so.
- Rookies lined up to race in an event are to attend qualifying as part of the grading process, but their teams need to field graded drivers sufficient to fulfill the fastest 2 drivers slots.
- Either the fastest Rookie and slowest Graded, or slowest Rookie and fastest Graded, have their laptimes used and averaged for Grid Classification for the Race after all QP sessions have been completed. Perhaps even add an extra requirement that one of the Graded drivers has to be of minimum require Rating, but that's discretion based.
- Rookies required to drive a maximum time equal to the minimum require time on track to score points (doubled for Le Mans) in order to complete grading process. They are not required to drive the maximum time set for Rookies and will not be penalised for not doing so, but do not finish the grading process and thus will have to start their grading process afresh at the next event they are lined up in.

There? Thoughts?

but their teams need to field graded drivers

I think this is your key point, and whilst optimal, with a significant number of new teams making their debut in the Series this year I don't want to force them to take on drivers outside their group.

One solution to this would be to say; "Rookie Times will only be counted for Teams that have completed "X" or fewer Events." This allows genuine newcomers to get up and running, but should limit attempts at abuse.

Watching the Dubai 24h right now,

Cant help but feel we aren't utilizing Project Cars right now...
I just got it (no wheel still) but even if driving with the controller is way harder than I thought it would be, it's worth it because the sound in that game is absurdly good. It actually surprised me how good it was (and how I got used to the sucky sounds of GT...).

Rookie rule ideas

1. no rookie may be credited with a time FASTER than the fastest BRONZE qualifier. Period.

or

2 No rookie may post a time faster than his teams lowest ranked qualifier.

Either squelches the SUPER SUB problem.

DART by its very charter has two resident Bronzes ,a very quick Gold, and two rookies of "normal" speed. The addition of SUPER ROOKIES is a circumvention of the whole idea of of an AM CLASS, and renders real AM teams in mortal danger of wasting one H of alot of time. If we are am AM class what are golds and platinums doing here anyway... they would be a better fit in pro.

stirring the pot as usual

on the other hand if they ever have a seasonal with the GT Ford lm Test car ( what a stupid name) it is TOAST.

I don't particularly agree with the "rookies can't be faster than graded drivers in qualifying*" rule ideas, for two reasons.

* - generalisation.

1. Having a rookie's fastest time be disallowed if it is faster than a graded driver's fastest time could seriously hamper a team if they only have one graded driver (bronze) and they're not the fastest on their team. It takes their potential best down to their bronze driver's best.

2. Along with Rookie's not being able to be their fastest (if they are faster than graded drivers), it could possibly put off new drivers knowing that they can't show off what they have immediately. If you can't show your potential then why wait three events to be graded to be able to do so?

I don't particularly agree with the "rookies can't be faster than graded drivers in qualifying*" rule ideas, for two reasons.

* - generalisation.

1. Having a rookie's fastest time be disallowed if it is faster than a graded driver's fastest time could seriously hamper a team if they only have one graded driver (bronze) and they're not the fastest on their team. It takes their potential best down to their bronze driver's best.

2. Along with Rookie's not being able to be their fastest (if they are faster than graded drivers), it could possibly put off new drivers knowing that they can't show off what they have immediately. If you can't show your potential then why wait three events to be graded to be able to do so?

To your first point the best potential qualifying time in the AM classes is supposed to be the Bronze and Silver. Which is why teams with Rookies could potentially have an advantage. No issues with Rookies being in the Pro class qp sessions.

To your 2nd point it's not about limiting them it's about fitting them into the existing ranks. Until they are graded their QP speeds should give them a temp grade for that event based on where they compare to the existing graded drivers for the event.

Last edited:
To your first point the best potential qualifying time in the AM classes is supposed to the Bronze and Silver. Which is why teams with Rookies could potentially have an advantage. No issues with Rookies being in the Pro class qp sessions.

To your 2nd point it's not about limiting them it's about fitting them into the existing ranks. Until they are graded their QP speeds should give them a temp grade for that event based on where they compare to the existing graded drivers for the event.
I definitely agree with your counter-argument! 👍

AJ

From a mangers point of view...what will be the normal delay ( ie can we use it for actual warnings to drivers for hazards seen On the stream) and....how much better will the actual positions indicated be.

AJ
I think this is your key point, and whilst optimal, with a significant number of new teams making their debut in the Series this year I don't want to force them to take on drivers outside their group.
I can definitely understand that notion, I think we all want more to experience this series without a "it's not what you know, it's who you know" element. I think it's great that a team like Storagetrunks, and their all-rookie line-up for Daytona 24, is competing like that. They all know and trust each other, and sometimes that's all that counts in a team, be them rookies or veterans.

Surprised and a little glad that you noted that particular point as optimal though. Can I assume that my idea as a whole was seen in a positive light? :lol:

One solution to this would be to say; "Rookie Times will only be counted for Teams that have completed "X" or fewer Events." This allows genuine newcomers to get up and running, but should limit attempts at abuse.
I think that's a good base to start from, but I'd still like to see teams that field a mix of Rookies and Graded drivers still have their times contribute to Grid Classification, regardless of events completed.

Personally though @AJ, I don't mind whether an IMMORTAL plugs polesitter laptimes as a Rookie and wins his team a Pole on the Grid, so I feel QP shouldn't be the focus of nerfing, but would definitely prefer a nerf on the driving limits of Rookies, which is something I think @StigsTC touched upon.

As I stated, minimum driving time to score points as maximum driving time for Rookies would be my 2 pence on a benchmark for completing the Grading process for Rookies as with the QP process I mentioned, but for 60-100% Rookie line-ups.. perhaps you'd like extending their max driving time for 6+ hour events so they aren't so restricted?

Watching the Dubai 24h right now,

Cant help but feel we aren't utilizing Project Cars right now...
While pCARS is a great game, the amount of people that have the equipment for it is heavily outweighed by the people that still haven't upgraded yet. At the moment, it's not worth doing a switch to pCARS

I love being able to watch the stream after a slog in the car, and some of the moments capture are awesome, but I do get a sense that just a little more tweaking when it comes to finding action on track. Missed some epic unfoldings during the night this race that REAALLLY would have made some hairs stand up on people's necks. I'm pretty sure everyone has moment that they really hoped had been caught on screen but didn't...

I guess I'm just saying, "can we have reduced time on cars in wide open air, please?" I think that there's a LOT of potential to pick up action that's either happening right now... or if we see something worth panning back to in a few laps time or whatever... if there's a little less time following a lonely car for 6 laps. I will openly admit that I have NO CLUE of the logistics behind the livestream, the coverage shown and who's involved with providing it, so please don't see this as digging you out. The work is astounding, the effort involved IS 100% appreciated, but is it something that can be discussed? It would definitely inspire more community-made montages, for sure!

Will the next round of promotions be announced soon

Yes, however please note the following;

- Rookie Drivers may be graded after their 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Race, or all of them or just one of them.
- Ranked Drivers are now only eligible for re-grading every 5th race, and are advised to contact me if they think they should be.
- Drivers who fail to meet the minimum Driving Standards or do not demonstrate a general understanding of the Sporting Regulations, will be placed on Probation. These drivers must show improvement in their next 2 events, or will be prohibited from further participation.

@AJ while I welcome the news of increased grids and more potentially qualifying teams, are there not concerns of regular stewarding duties suffering?nI can think of a few situations where one pair of eyes are not going to be enough i.e on track battle is being watched, a new driver joins the room needs spec checking all the while AJ is paying attention to 'y' time for another driver, and another car has just cut track limits every other lap for the passed 4 laps as the driver knows that a driver dc'd and potentially AJ's eyes and attention is elsewhere, and the battle that was occuring at the begining of these sequence events ends in tears with one driver clearly at fault but with no steward watching, any resulting punishments cant be dealt out.

I guess what Im worried about is that the racing may suffer?

Rather than siding with @rono_thomas right away on this one, instead taking into consideration this news and the concern rono has brought up... I'd be very interested to know why you feel confident about increasing the capacity whilst lowering the number of eyes on track?

@AJ, we know you're quite enigmatic when it comes to your ideas... I'd hardly be surprised if your answer was "wait and see ;)" but do you have a plan in place to take care of any contingencies mentioned above?

I was hoping that today's announcement would feature information on what is happening to LMP1/2/3, but it's still great to hear that grids will be expanded to 14.

Also, I'm extremely excited to field a team for the B12 in the top class, an all Aussie assault on the most Aussie of races! :)

Finally, Suzuka 1000km not on GT6? Last time I checked Pcars does not have Super GT cars and the Suzuka is... Well, not Suzuka lol.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back