GTP Sportscar: General Discussion

• Thread starter AJ
  • 589 comments
Question for comms team or AJ (whoever gets there first).

There was a questionaire for drivers to fill out (posted by @GTP_Dutchy jan 23rd in archived general discussion, have been trying to copy and paste on my tab unsuccessfully so...) will there be a similar form for this season? It would be a nice way to introduce the new teams and drivers and give some topic of interest for the comms to talk about during broadcasts?

Yeah you missed the deadline by a few months mate. Best to check with the organiser that sort of information first before announcing anything.

Unless you've been personally invited? But that would be counter-intuitive to having a deadline date of November...

But what do I know? I just do the racing here... :lol:

Yeah you missed the deadline by a few months mate. Best to check with the organiser that sort of information first before announcing anything.

Unless you've been personally invited? But that would be counter-intuitive to having a deadline date of November...

Okay, thanks for letting me know.

There was a questionaire for drivers to fill out (posted by @GTP_Dutchy jan 23rd in archived general discussion, have been trying to copy and paste on my tab unsuccessfully so...) will there be a similar form for this season? It would be a nice way to introduce the new teams and drivers and give some topic of interest for the comms to talk about during broadcasts?

I am thinking about doing that. But not in that form i'd like to do more with the information then and poor it into an short interview form. but then again i'm short on time and have enough difficulties fitting the pieces of the puzzle as is. So I still have to think about this one. Thanks for bringing it up :D

I'm also thinking on doing that. It would be awesome we would introduce our teams and drivers, in my opinion. 👍

nearly half a year :lol:

Anyone else have thoughts on Article 5.3h aka "The Rookie Rule"?

As it stands for Daytona if a Rookie driver is .999 of a second faster than the fastest Bronze his time will count as Bronze. If it's over that it still will count as Bronze but only .500 seconds faster than the fastest Bronze, essentially gaurenteeing that team qualification.

Same for Silver, Gold, ect, depending on team construction.

While this is 100% ok in the "Pro" classes, I don't see what the point of allowing someone faster than a Bronze/Silver to be classified as a Bronze/Silver. In my approximation there is no way this driver is truly a Bronze/Silver if they are half a second faster than the fastest ranked driver, at least around Daytona.

If you are unranked and faster than the fastest Bronze/Silver/Gold during the session you should be assumed the next level up until further being evaluated during the race.

My $0.02.

DZM D24.png

With Qualifying for Daytona this weekend, I'd to introduce my franchise and drivers for the 2nd annual Daytona 24 Hours.

When I joined this series a year and a half ago, there were barely 12 teams in the series to do the races. I never thought I'd be in the position I am today back then. I've seen this series grow into what I believe is the best endurance series out there. I've always just been a driver in the series and I've always liked the idea of running my own team, ya know, just having something you create become successful. Now I get that chance.

DZ Motorsports will be a contender in everything we do and we will never give up. Good luck to everyone in 2016! Let's make it a great one!

Joke solution!
The solution to the "rookie" rule is to handle it somewhat like LeMons handles ridiculous cars that are "$1000". If you field drivers that are ridiculously over powered for a Bronze/Silver slot the event organiser reserves the right to hand out "BS" Penalty laps for the race. Yes it would see teams unfairly starting the race, but when you're opening lap puts you at -99 laps (100 laps behind the competition). The rule would somewhat force teams to field appropriate drivers, as starting some ridiculous number of laps down takes the fun out of it, just as fielding ridiculous drivers takes the fun out of it for everyone else.

Serious Solution.
I agree with Ning that we are currently not at the correct balance of Rookies being used in qualifying/race. The original wording of rookies having to be slower than that team's Bronze made rookies impossible to field, however current rules imply fastest Bronze in class can be beaten by a second, and have the time still count as "Bronze".
Something in the order of a rookie in a designated Bronze/Silver/Gold slot cannot complete a time faster than the fastest Bronze/Silver/Gold time and will thus receive a time of 100.5% or 101.0%.
This level of monitoring and penalties needs to be carried through to the race, as much as the rule is to stop rookies being too fast in qualifying, however if one is to sandbag in qualifying, once in the race there is currently nothing stopping a TRL_Immortal for example being used for 14 hours in GT3-Am doing Platinum pace.

Last edited:
Anyone else have thoughts on Article 5.3h aka "The Rookie Rule"?

As it stands for Daytona if a Rookie driver is .999 of a second faster than the fastest Bronze his time will count as Bronze. If it's over that it still will count as Bronze but only .500 seconds faster than the fastest Bronze, essentially gaurenteeing that team qualification.

Same for Silver, Gold, ect, depending on team construction.

While this is 100% ok in the "Pro" classes, I don't see what the point of allowing someone faster than a Bronze/Silver to be classified as a Bronze/Silver. In my approximation there is no way this driver is truly a Bronze/Silver if they are half a second faster than the fastest ranked driver, at least around Daytona.

If you are unranked and faster than the fastest Bronze/Silver/Gold during the session you should be assumed the next level up until further being evaluated during the race.

My $0.02.
I think it coincides with Article 2.3.d in that Rookies will be graded after completion of either their 1st, 2nd, 3rd event or after all three.

While they might show higher grade pace in qualifying, together with their race performance all needs to be assessed and after qualifying the event has still not been completed yet if they qualify into the race.

I can see yours and @StigsTC 's point but. Could have a reevaluation right after QP in extreme cases perhaps...

Last edited:
Joke solution!
The solution to the "rookie" rule is to handle it somewhat like LeMons handles ridiculous cars that are "$1000". If you field drivers that are ridiculously over powered for a Bronze/Silver slot the event organiser reserves the right to hand out "BS" Penalty laps for the race. Yes it would see teams unfairly starting the race, but when you're opening lap puts you at -99 laps (100 laps behind the competition). The rule would somewhat force teams to field appropriate drivers, as starting some ridiculous number of laps down takes the fun out of it, just as fielding ridiculous drivers takes the fun out of it for everyone else.

Serious Solution.
I agree with Ning that we are currently not at the correct balance of Rookies being used in qualifying/race. The original wording of rookies having to be slower than Bronze made rookies impossible to field, however current rules imply fastest Bronze in class can be beaten by a second, and have the time still count as "Bronze".
Something in the order of a rookie in a designated Bronze/Silver/Gold slot cannot complete a time faster than the fastest Bronze/Silver/Gold time and will thus receive a time of 100.5% or 101.0%.
This level of monitoring and penalties needs to be carried through to the race, as much as the rule is to stop rookies being too fast in qualifying, however if one is to sandbag in qualifying, once in the race there is currently nothing stopping a TRL_Immortal for example being used for 14 hours in GT3-Am doing Platinum pace.

Hahaha! I love it lol.

The race is an issue too and honestly I hadn't thought that far ahead. Only 5 of 7 teams make the race in GT3-AM so 2 with bronze/silver drivers could get kicked out by ungraded silvers/golds very easily.

Yeah I'm quite worried about that myself. I noticed that the regulations never really dealt with the race situations and in future events where qualifying isn't as significant it doesn't do anything to prevent a walk-over in the actual race.
We just have to trust AJ makes the right decision that strikes a good balance and we have to trust our respective teams to perform at their best to make the grid.

I'm just a simply guy, but would it not be easier to just have 6 teams per class and 2 classes per race so that every team couldd race in their assigned race. Gt3am has 3 races. So it's possible that some teams may only run 1 or 2 races this season

Another thing that I have been keeping to my self is implementing a British GT style to racing. GT cars race for one hour with 2 drivers. That would be allot simpler and would give the team who don't qualify something to race and be a part of.

I don't understand why the term "Rookie" doesn't get used in the proper fashion? Rookie denotes a lack of experience at the current level of competition, regardless of how talented they are. With that said, you would naturally put a Rookie on track for a very minimal amount of time to assess how well they do.

I have ideas that could work. Whether AJ or the stewards want to hear them or not is completely up to them. It's one that surprisingly doesn't go all trigger happy on warnings and penalties either. But, I think the crew would much rather fumble around in the dark amongst themselves that inquire my idea, so... Good times. :)

I need to clarify one thing.

Are the championship classes spots full? I'm also planning to sign up into TCN-1 with my team.
gtpss.JPG

Re; Rookies. I will write up a post later. The regs currently in place could be better communicated, and there is also probably room for refinement. To keep it short for now, there is a fine balance between welcoming newcomers and rewarding returnees.

TMR
I'm just a simply guy, but would it not be easier to just have 6 teams per class and 2 classes per race so that every team couldd race in their assigned race. Gt3am has 3 races. So it's possible that some teams may only run 1 or 2 races this season

If your team had paid an entry fee of $62.99 for last year's N24, don't you think you would have been better organised and prepared, and wouldn't have withdrawn during the opening hours, effectively denying another team a space on our very limited grid that would have completed the event fully?

Another thing that I have been keeping to my self is implementing a British GT style to racing. GT cars race for one hour with 2 drivers. That would be allot simpler and would give the team who don't qualify something to race and be a part of.

GT6 struggles with 12 DCs over a 3 hour period, condensing that window to 30mins is not going to work. There is a reason the support races got scrapped last year.

Whether AJ or the stewards want to hear them or not is completely up to them.

No it isn't, it is completely up to you, either share them or don't. There is no need to waste anyone's time posturing or throwing shade whilst doing so.

AJ
If your team had paid an entry fee of $62.99 for last year's N24, don't you think you would have been better organised and prepared, and wouldn't have withdrawn during the opening hours, effectively denying another team a space on our very limited grid that would have completed the event fully?
We've spent way more than that on things specific for the series, so no. Hell we spent that on a UPS for that specific race. No one wanted it to be that way and there is no reason to take a shot at TMR, who wasn't involved in that decision.

Last edited:
We've spent way more than that on things specific for the series, so no. Hell we spent that on a UPS for that specific race. No one wanted it to be that way and there is no reason to take a shot at TMR, who wasn't involved in that decision, like that.

Not having pop, just using the example to highlight our policy of having more entries than grid spaces. It's the basic concept of consideration. For example, if you have bought tickets for a show and on the day it's pouring down with rain, you are much more likely to go anyway than if you were given the tickets for free. If you don't go, in the former case that is your right as you have entered a contract, the seats are yours whether you sit in them or not, in the later case there is no contract and the show promoter is left with empty seats he could have given to someone else.

Our competitor charges an entry fee for each team and for each driver. They also have capacity for 40 cars.

We offer a free service, and are limited to 12 cars.

If a team doesn't turn up to one of our events, or quits early during a race for reasons other than force majeure, firstly that's 8% of our grid vs 2% of theirs, and secondly both the promoters and the other competitors are completely let down.

To attempt to prevent this, teams have to qualify to have a chance to get to the grid, it's still not a guarantee that everyone will turn up and participate fully, but it is the model and the road we have decided to go down.

As is the current situation with regards to events on PC, if there is enough demand (for events to be run using a different model), we will consider it.

Back