GTP_WRS-Online : General Discussion

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 777 comments
I had lessons at Wednesday nights since September and now that they are over, World cup gets on the way! I sure will return to online after that though!

Taken from the Grip Sensei race thread, but answering here as that thread will be archived soon:
I have a suggestion for the online racing in general. Can we move the online race to be in sync with the time trial. I understand why it is staged the way it is and initially that made perfect sense to me, but having raced both for a while I'm starting to believe that doing it the way we do it is counter-productive.

The reason is that we end up juggling two very different cars on two very different tracks and so you have to decide where you want to spend your time. Especially now that we have the Saturday worlds race it would make a lot more sense to have the online race happen the same week as the TT.

For the people who do just one or the other this won't affect them. For people who do both you get a chance Wednesday to race the TT that started Sunday, and then again Saturday and time to perfect your TT through Monday. I think this would encourage more people to do both because if you're already racing the car in the TT why not give the online race a go and vice versa. I don't think it's going to be a spoiler for the TT because online racing with tire-wear and fuel has very different physics and lap times to the TT and it's also a different style of racing where drafting can improve your time but you also have to be more careful because the cost of an off is much higher.

The only other argument against it would be that you only get a few days before the first race to practice but I actually think that is enough and there are a lot of top-ranked online racers who seem to literally just turn up to the track cold and do rather well in the races. By the following Saturday most people have spent significant time learning the track and car so it should improve the quality of those races versus now where we're going back to a track and car that some of us haven't driven in anger for over a week.
We're compromising by shuffling things around so that the WW race will be the first of the timeslots for a given combo, which means it will occur about 51hrs before the TT deadline on Monday nights. Wed timeslots will be re-runs of that WW race.

This will start with the TT combo that will be posted this weekend - its WW race will be the following Sat instead of us doing the normal schedule, which would have been with the Alpine.

Special events on the weekends will still displace WW races if appropriate, so on certain weeks, the Wed races will be the only timeslots for a combo.

Has anyone swapped the brake pedal on T500rs with the clutch pedal? I have a playseat and the center column is the culprit!

I've been gone for a long while. Just to inform you guys what the reason for this absence is: I've been busy with fitness and football. I almost have no time to race :(. besides that, my wheel broke and I'm not going to spend money on a wheel until I know for sure it's compatible for PS4 and durable. I had the DFGT and it lost its strength. You guys will see me again in the future as soon as I get a new wheel. for now, I want to thank you all for the great time I had racing you guys.:gtpflag:cheers

I've been gone for a long while. Just to inform you guys what the reason for this absence is: I've been busy with fitness and football. I almost have no time to race :(. besides that, my wheel broke and I'm not going to spend money on a wheel until I know for sure it's compatible for PS4 and durable. I had the DFGT and it lost its strength. You guys will see me again in the future as soon as I get a new wheel. for now, I want to thank you all for the great time I had racing you guys.:gtpflag:cheers

That's unfortunate :( Hope to see you on the track soon.

Was this first time in WRS history when Kart was used in TT and Online?
Yes. 👍 We used a kart at Top Gear Test track in GT5 for TT #42, but instead of racing that combo online, we raced NASCARs at Indy Road:). We again thought about maybe picking a replacement combo when we saw shifter karts and Kart Space as the TT, but I'm glad we listened to @MadMax's idea to race them at Stowe, had a lot of fun and wouldn't mind using the shifter karts for online racing again sometime.

The Karts were fun, even though it took me quite a while to get up to speed. I kind of like Stowe with it's unpredictable jump, kept things very interesting :eek:. The run around the Ring after Stowe was also lots of fun.

Wonderful, as if the loss of sounds wasn't bad enough (and still unacknowledged by PD as far as I'm aware), now only 1 person in a race can safely have custom gauges installed. :rolleyes:

Link

We have confirmed an issue with Update 1.12 where the game may freeze during online races when 2 or more cars are equipped with additional gauges.

We are planning to fix this issue in a upcoming update. Until then, we kindly ask to avoid racing online with 2 or more cars equipped with additional gauges.

We deeply apologize for the inconvenience caused and ask for your patience while we prepare the update.

I had custom gauges on my Jag yesterday in NA and I saw on Bart's EU stream that he also did, so if anyone else in either race *also* had gauges installed, I guess we dodged a bullet. :dunce:

I had custom gauges on my Jag yesterday in NA and I saw on Bart's EU stream that he also did, so if anyone else in either race *also* had gauges installed, I guess we dodged a bullet. :dunce:

Another great "feature" from PD we didn't ask for... How did you like the colors of my gauges? :lol: I was intentionally going for the stun effect :P

Another great "feature" from PD we didn't ask for... How did you like the colors of my gauges? :lol: I was intentionally going for the stun effect :P
Consider me stunned. :ill:

I must say your stream is very smooth looking, sometimes the scenery moving by seems even smoother than on my system, viewing it directly. :odd: There are points where you can see it slowing down and then speeding back up to catch up to real-time, though. :lol: Seems everyone's streams end up looking slightly different depending on the the whole "capture-device/PC-power/internet-speed capabilities" of each of you (@Speedy6543, @WRP001, @oink83, and you).

Consider me stunned. :ill:

I must say your stream is very smooth looking, sometimes the scenery moving by seems even smoother than on my system, viewing it directly. :odd: There are points where you can see it slowing down and then speeding back up to catch up to real-time, though. :lol: Seems everyone's streams end up looking slightly different depending on the the whole "capture-device/PC-power/internet-speed capabilities" of each of you (@Speedy6543, @WRP001, @oink83, and you).

I am glad the stream is running smooth, without regular framedrops. Must be like that though with a 1 Gbps connection. I don't know where the periodical breaks come from though. What you discribe, I've also seen when I was watching my own stream. I was wondering if it was the same for the other viewers. How was the audio quality? Dutchy reported some kind of echoing going on?

I now have the ability to stream via YouTube. Seems like you don't need 100 subscribers anymore. I'll be setting that up for the next race. I hope the breaks will be gone then.

I am glad the stream is running smooth, without regular framedrops. Must be like that though with a 1 Gbps connection. I don't know where the periodical breaks come from though. What you discribe, I've also seen when I was watching my own stream. I was wondering if it was the same for the other viewers. How was the audio quality? Dutchy reported some kind of echoing going on?

I now have the ability to stream via YouTube. Seems like you don't need 100 subscribers anymore. I'll be setting that up for the next race. I hope the breaks will be gone then.
I'll check sound next time I watch...I've always left the sound off, since I'm usually watching from work. :D

The echo probably comes from you having your own stream up in a tab of your browser. Set the sound off there should solve the problem.

The sound of cars etc wad fine. Only mic chat was echoing. So it seems unlikely that solves the problem.

Also there was a 10 second lag in the ruf combo i saw u exiting the last corner but i heard the downshifts from the first corner

We've just published the full result histories and summaries for all 3 years of WRS-Online (the cutoff was Event 33 a couple weeks ago), which started off as 3D3 Racing in September 2011. That thread is locked so it we can add tables to it for many years to come. If there's any discussion about it, feel free to post that in this General Discussion thread.

GTP WRS-Online : Historical Results Summaries

I'd like to thank all the racers who have joined us for weekly races and Special Events over the years. :cheers:

Especially would like to thank the admins and stewards who put their all into these great events! :cheers::bowdown:

No particular order, of course. :)

@EDK
@Vaxen
@JoostBaksteen
@WRP001
@Hydro
@Speedy6543
@MadMax
@Sjaak
@jtv90069
@w-g-e
@Jump_Ace
@PASM
@hasslemoff
@Allibubba99
@GTP_Patrick1
@AspecBob
@oink83
@GTPorsche
@Racingworld68
@Ealirendur
@mcfizzle

Of course, the GTPlanet WRS started in early 2003, so there are many more that came before, and made it into what it has become today. :gtpflag:

As always, BIG THANKS to @Jordan for all the support!

I see a few of you guys record the video replay's and posting them on you tube etc, what is the method used to capture these?

I use a Hauppauge HD PVR

hdpvr_unit-front-l.png

It does come with a price though. Back in the day when I bought it I paid about 200€ for it.
There are other capturecards/modules on the market of course. Brands like Hauppauge, Elgato, Roxio all have new and more recent models out.

Last edited:
I use a Hauppauge HD PVR

It does come with a price though. Back in the day when I bought it I paid about 200€ for it.
There are other capturecards/modules on the market of course. Brands like Hauppauge, Elgato, Roxio all have new and more recent models out.
I was expecting that was going to be the answer but hoped it wasn't, thanks.

Back