GTS vs GT6 - Cars comparison

• Thread starter emula
  • 1,346 comments
I think they progressively got more cartoonish with better graphics, the limitations of PS2 hardware kinda forced them to use phototextures for a lot of stuff and the limited color range made for a really realistic image especially on old CRT TV sets. It's still crazy what they did with just 4 mb of RAM total.
I kind of agree but at the same time there is no doubt in my mind that GTS is one of the most realistic looking games ive ever played. I feel as though a lot of people have the odd idea that less saturated images look more realistic which I think is absolutely false. The example they used was that assetto corsa looked more realistic because the grass was a grayish green rather than actual green.

20181209_130206.jpg

The grass outside my house looks pretty green to me.

I think the problem is that GTS graphics are too perfect. The cars are perfectly clean, dentless, scratchless, and markless. Which is both a good and a bad thing. On the bad side they just dont look quite like they would in real life, but on the good side they are the most perfect representation of what the car should look like. So its kind of difficult to decide which direction the game should go.

I just rambled about nothing again didn't I.

I kind of agree but at the same time there is no doubt in my mind that GTS is one of the most realistic looking games ive ever played. I feel as though a lot of people have the odd idea that less saturated images look more realistic which I think is absolutely false. The example they used was that assetto corsa looked more realistic because the grass was a grayish green rather than actual green.

View attachment 785293

The grass outside my house looks pretty green to me.

I think the problem is that GTS graphics are too perfect. The cars are perfectly clean, dentless, scratchless, and markless. Which is both a good and a bad thing. On the bad side they just dont look quite like they would in real life, but on the good side they are the most perfect representation of what the car should look like. So its kind of difficult to decide which direction the game should go.

I just rambled about nothing again didn't I.
Sure grass can be very green in real life, although your picture is kinda overexposed. This also depends on where you live, in some countries the grass is not very green as funny as that sounds, so our real life environment and experiences can affect how we view digital art.
As I've said PD has achieved this super perfect polished shiny look that you would see in car commercials, cg movies. But in real life there will always be some scratches, dust, dirt, smudges, dusty tires, worn leather and other crap. So the higher the resolution of the image the more these things missing stand out.

Hands down the biggest improvement GTS presents over GT6 (and DriveClub) is the lighting model.

I’m finding now the biggest limitation when it comes to graphical fidelity is my TV. I’m playing on a fairly respectable 1080p Panasonic but the biggest upgrade to me would be an investment in a 4K panel and the accompanying PS4 Pro as opposed to a hypothetical PS5 and its accompanying Gran Turismo.

Hands down the biggest improvement GTS presents over GT6 (and DriveClub) is the lighting model.

I’m finding now the biggest limitation when it comes to graphical fidelity is my TV. I’m playing on a fairly respectable 1080p Panasonic but the biggest upgrade to me would be an investment in a 4K panel and the accompanying PS4 Pro as opposed to a hypothetical PS5 and its accompanying Gran Turismo.
Get a Samsung QLED or an LG OLED, it’s worth it, even if you only use it for GTS.

Don't get an oled because you'll burn the screen by playing games.
I would recommend you a tv from Sony, but if you want something cheaper you can go with LG.

They don't model all the cars in those games.
The workload is usually disributed between multiple outsourcing studios, the models they hand in are then polished up by internal art departments. All of the models are normally created according to individual developer requirements and specifications such as polygon counts and complexity, the reference data is usually provided by the developers, and final models belong to the game developer, so it's not like Glassegg models a P1 for Turn10 and then sells that model to other developers. Each one is created from scratch and to order.

Driveclub is impressive considering it was Evolution Studios' first attempt at a realistic racer with licensed vehicles since WRC games on the PS2. Polyphony is much more experienced, has stricter quality control and way more sophisticated material shaders pipeline than pretty much any other racing game. On the other side Driveclub has liberal use of screen-space reflections on different surface, volumetric lighting and clouds, 3D trees and much higher draw distance, as well as crazy weather and rain effects that are still not matched by anyone else.

Driveclub is impressive considering it was Evolution Studios' first attempt at a realistic racer with licensed vehicles since WRC games on the PS2. Polyphony is much more experienced, has stricter quality control and way more sophisticated material shaders pipeline than pretty much any other racing game. On the other side Driveclub has liberal use of screen-space reflections on different surface, volumetric lighting and clouds, 3D trees and much higher draw distance, as well as crazy weather and rain effects that are still not matched by anyone else.
For me visually DC is the best looking racer on the market. Shame the franchise was short lived because it has a lot of promise. Ironically it felt more “Gran Turismo” than Gran Turismo, thanks to its GT heavy car roster and open roads.

Driveclub still had more potential to be unleashed but sadly can't go through and die young. I mean Sony could have what Microsoft did with Forza franchise by separating Horizon title for casuals and Motorsport title for motor racing. Sony could do that with Driveclub had same focus as Horizon and GT stay focused on detailed experience with cars and racing disciplines.

By the way, nice comparison as always @emula ! 👍 Proved that GTS car model is indeed different than DC :cheers:

I used to think that with GT6 they had reached peak level of realism in photomode and that the only thing that was left to smoothen out rough edges and increase texture work.

But then came scapes and boy was I proven wrong..

@emula work reminds me of Dubsmb youtube series of GT6|in detail| only that it looks so much better!

For anyone interested:

I have had an LG oled for over two years and have spent 100s of hours playing all kinds of games many with static HUDs. I have not seen any screen burn issues at all.

Last edited:
Too bad most players don't only want graphics in the game. They also want content, too. And they definitely deserve that.

Friendly reminder that all the DLC up to this day have been free of charge.
Lol they have to be free obviously, since they're making up for the game's shortcomings compared to the previous titles. If they'll charge players for these DLCs in the future, I won't be surprised once nobody will play this game anymore.

Lol they have to be free obviously, since they're making up for the game's shortcomings compared to the previous titles. If they'll charge players for these DLCs in the future, I won't be surprised once nobody will play this game anymore.
I guess we could say that they released the game with low car count and most of the DLC are from GT5/6 but whose developer these days would give you 50+ cars and tracks for a year without a price tag. If PD was EA they probably charge you 5 bucks for 5 cars not including tracks, lol. Based on the comparison pictures on this thread the quality is much higher than the one in GT6, and I think that's enough for them to charge us for the DLC but they didn't.

I guess we could say that they released the game with low car count and most of the DLC are from GT5/6 but whose developer these days would give you 50+ cars and tracks for a year without a price tag. If PD was EA they probably charge you 5 bucks for 5 cars not including tracks, lol. Based on the comparison pictures on this thread the quality is much higher than the one in GT6, and I think that's enough for them to charge us for the DLC but they didn't.
The quality is obviously much higher since were already on the 8th generation of consoles. GT6 was released five years ago but only for PS3, a console from the previous generation. So of course, everybody expects to have better quality in GTS since the game was released on PS4 which is newer and more powerful than the PS3. Good thing it really did.

Back