Help with GT cup Gr3 Mount Panorama

• Thread starter Antezz
  • 66 comments
I hate this race. I used the M6 on FM6, no pit, just cheated at both sections every lap and won by 7 seconds. Once there is a clear car that can keep up with the terribly imbalanced AI cars I'll race it proper.

Update. Used the M6 first stint to the end of lap 4 fuel map 1 pitted, filled the tank and new hard tyre and I had to flick from fuel map 1 to fuel map 6 for 3 laps in the hill section as would have run out of fuel. Cheated in the hill section in the only place I know how and won by 00.993 from M. Chang chasing me in the Genesis X gr.3.

I hate this race. I used the M6 on FM6, no pit, just cheated at both sections every lap and won by 7 seconds. Once there is a clear car that can keep up with the terribly imbalanced AI cars I'll race it proper.
What two sections do you cheat in? I only found one in the hill section

Used the 911 RSR, 1 Stop for fuel and tires after 6 Laps did the job for me. Tire change ist not necessary, but the hill section just felt better on fresh rubber. Costs about 3 secs in the pits.
Failed the race at least 5 times due to idiotic mistakes.
Best Lap around 2:05, average 2:06-2:07.

One of the absolutely best events in the game. You should keep in mind that:
1) Some AI drivers are faster than others.
2) Some cars are faster than others.
3) So race can be very hard if good AI gets a good car. If you have troubles with the race, restart it(with leaving the event completely).
4) From my limited experience, I didn't see the need for new tires. Just refuel and go.

The hardest AI I've seen was on M3 sprint. Finished the race in 21:40.
Had a lot of fun trying to get a clean race bonus.

Really hope more and more races like this and the spa are added soon . Especially with VR , these races just look so immersive with the stars coming out and sun rise.

Not a massive fan of this track but this race is swaying me round to it , its fun .

Not cracked it yet mind.

Shame it appears to be one of them races where you get no slip stream ..... yeeeet get a AI behind you and whoosh

Grrrr

I eventually won this one with the Peugeot RCZ. Bloody difficult though, only won by 0.585 seconds. Glad to finally see the back of that series!

I appreciate everyone's input here. I feel like to win these GT3 races I'm going to need to get Gold in the licenses and the Circuit Experience before I have a chance to compete. Then choosing the correct car on each one helps since any tuning goes out the window. What car was used, fuel map/pit strategy, and lap time are crucial data to help benchmark our progress. I'm 85% on events but 0% on GT3 and GT4 cups. I don't have a single podium finish on any that I have attempted.

What car was used, fuel map/pit strategy
Generally speaking:
choose the car you feel most comfortable to stay with that. Comfortable beats meta if you cant pull out the meta potential (e.g a cars acceleration will propably make you spin out for stepping on the accelerator to hastily, whereas a car with better traction will simply make you more consistent and faster instead - also for triggering less TCS if used you will find more speed).
About fuel map: stay in FM1 and use manual shortshifting if fuel is a concern, this is faster for the same amount of fuel spend.
About pit strategy: if fuel is a concern, just fill up enough to match it to the tyre wear, otherwise if it is tyres only, here comes in the chessplay to master, which I have no experience with against players. Against AI simply choose the softest compound allowed and find out the limits of traction and then pit accordingly.

I drove the pink Porsche offered in their event this summer. I was pressed by the 1999 GT-R through part of the race but managed to lose him towards the end, winning the race by a country mile.
That car I used is the 911 RSR with a livery specific to the event I won it in. I've practically wore it out. It's not the fastest Gr3 car but it is absolutely planted. I've had similar success with the Group 3 McLaren F1, but that car trades higher top end for less grip.

Last edited:
The Gr.3 GT Cup used to be pretty hard but nice, now it's pretty hard and significantly unpleasant thanks to the fixed setups. One of the worst decisions by PD in my opinion, my best guess is that because little Billy was too busy watching cat videos on TikTok instead of figuring out how PP limits and car setups work they made everyone drive a turd instead of having to listen to Billy whine on every imaginable social media channel about how the races are too difficult.

Did this one twice today, once with the GTR and again with the AMG GT. Both times were second attempts after I spun the GTR on lap three, and there was a huge pileup in the downhill on lap one with the AMG. I left that one in the video.

I ran high 2:06s at the fastest with both cars, which would definitely come down if I had more time to practice with either car. Regardless, I love Panorama, and think the AI in this race actually drive relatively well. They still do their usual stuff, but they some of them keep a decent pace which provided some fun challenge.

I seem to be slow from the first tight uphill corner up and over the hill (I'm usually afraid of oversteer here, and run no aids), but once at the top of the hill you just need to keep your speed up and be smooth with little lifts to string the corners together. It's also easy to be much faster than the AI on the downhill, but not with them in the way. I find that backing off a bit and waiting until just after it to pass AI cars before the downhill corner that opens onto the straight. They're also pretty slow in this chicane after the straight, just don't miss your braking point.

Weirdly enough, in both races one AI would stay with me which added some nice tension to the runs and kept me on my toes. That said, both these races were still pretty messy, and I can do a lot better. I felt bad for tapping both the Ford GTs in the first race, but AI don't have feelings, and they were just lil bumps... haha.

No matter what, this is a super fun race, and one that I want to come back to a couple more times. I'd like to run the 911, the Mustang and maybe the Vette and RCZ. It's a good, fun challenge.

GTR run:

AMG run:

I'll be posting more if I can make some more time soon!

The Gr.3 GT Cup used to be pretty hard but nice, now it's pretty hard and significantly unpleasant thanks to the fixed setups. One of the worst decisions by PD in my opinion, my best guess is that because little Billy was too busy watching cat videos on TikTok instead of figuring out how PP limits and car setups work they made everyone drive a turd instead of having to listen to Billy whine on every imaginable social media channel about how the races are too difficult.
I love BoP in this series. It mostly levels the playing field. Everyone drives the same "turd", so just get good at driving the one you like. There's only "whining Billy" I see here... you want setups? Go to iRacing or ACC.

Did this one twice today, once with the GTR and again with the AMG GT. Both times were second attempts after I spun the GTR on lap three, and there was a huge pileup in the downhill on lap one with the AMG. I left that one in the video.

I ran high 2:06s at the fastest with both cars, which would definitely come down if I had more time to practice with either car. Regardless, I love Panorama, and think the AI in this race actually drive relatively well. They still do their usual stuff, but they some of them keep a decent pace which provided some fun challenge.

I seem to be slow from the first tight uphill corner up and over the hill (I'm usually afraid of oversteer here, and run no aids), but once at the top of the hill you just need to keep your speed up and be smooth with little lifts to string the corners together. It's also easy to be much faster than the AI on the downhill, but not with them in the way. I find that backing off a bit and waiting until just after it to pass AI cars before the downhill corner that opens onto the straight. They're also pretty slow in this chicane after the straight, just don't miss your braking point.

Weirdly enough, in both races one AI would stay with me which added some nice tension to the runs and kept me on my toes. That said, both these races were still pretty messy, and I can do a lot better. I felt bad for tapping both the Ford GTs in the first race, but AI don't have feelings, and they were just lil bumps... haha.

No matter what, this is a super fun race, and one that I want to come back to a couple more times. I'd like to run the 911, the Mustang and maybe the Vette and RCZ. It's a good, fun challenge.

GTR run:

AMG run:

I'll be posting more if I can make some more time soon!

I love BoP in this series. It mostly levels the playing field. Everyone drives the same "turd", so just get good at driving the one you like. There's only "whining Billy" I see here... you want setups? Go to iRacing or ACC.

I don't get why people grouch so much about tuning. It's not rocket science. The game tells you about half of what you need to know, the rest is learned from wrenching it out on an actual car. If you can change oil, you can tune a car in Gran Turismo and win races with it. There may be better tunes, but you can still successfully make your own.

I finally won this last night. After a dismal finish in the Subaru BRZ and coming in 2nd with the R8, I decided to try the new AMG. I got to 2nd on lap 4, then the 3rd place Supra whacked me into the wall at the top of the mountain. I figured if the AI cheats I will too. Bypassing the chicane at the crest gave me just enough advantage to get me into 1st. Curiously though, on lap 9 the Supra seemed to give up and I ended up with 4 or 5 seconds advantage on him.

I love BoP in this series. It mostly levels the playing field. Everyone drives the same "turd", so just get good at driving the one you like.
You're quick to assume that I have trouble with the races, while I've won them all. It just feels like having to run a marathon in shoes too small and shorts too big - doable, but could be so much better. The car wouldn't have to be sprung too stiff, underdamped, overcambered, equipped with a far too stiff LSD and geared less than optimally - but it is. They all are because someone at PD has decided that it's how they should be and it's simply dumb in the case of trying to simulate cars that are never raced in factory default settings in real life. Especially when the freedom to change the setup was there originally.

You're quick to assume that I have trouble with the races, while I've won them all. It just feels like having to run a marathon in shoes too small and shorts too big - doable, but could be so much better. The car wouldn't have to be sprung too stiff, underdamped, overcambered, equipped with a far too stiff LSD and geared less than optimally - but it is. They all are because someone at PD has decided that it's how they should be and it's simply dumb in the case of trying to simulate cars that are never raced in factory default settings in real life. Especially when the freedom to change the setup was there originally.
I didn't assume anything, I only referenced the embarrassing whining about "Billy". You're free to assume what you want, but it's clear that you're salty.

Unless you've driven a GT3 car in the real world you don't really have a valid comparison for your opinions about how they handle. These are the only references we have, and since you don't have a basis for comparison, your thoughts on how "terrible" they are is just that... opinion. I and many others work with what we're given and make the best of it. That's what I was telling you to do. Complaining based on unsupported opinion accomplishes nothing.

As for tuning, it's well known in GT7 that using real world knowledge of suspension setups does not translate into in-game results. It's very much trial and error, and while it definitely helps some cars to perform better, it's rarely a game changing thing that completely changes the nature of a car. That said, it's often that in-game lap times are very similar to real-world ones, so GT7 can't be terribly far off the mark when it comes to their models and physics.

There are inaccuracies, but what we have is still very good. Like I said before, if GT7 isn't "good enough" for you, there are better options. Go play those.

Last edited:
I drove the pink Porsche offered in their event this summer. I was pressed by the 1999 GT-R through part of the race but managed to lose him towards the end, winning the race by a country mile.
That car I used is the 911 RSR with a livery specific to the event I won it in. I've practically wore it out. It's not the fastest Gr3 car but it is absolutely planted. I've had similar success with the Group 3 McLaren F1, but that car trades higher top end for less grip.
This. I’m a massive fan of the 911 RSR, especially for races like this. It’s not the fastest in top speed, so you will have to learn how to get round the mountain top corners and chicanes quickly. And for that, the RSR is a God sent. ❤️

I finally won this last night. After a dismal finish in the Subaru BRZ and coming in 2nd with the R8, I decided to try the new AMG. I got to 2nd on lap 4, then the 3rd place Supra whacked me into the wall at the top of the mountain. I figured if the AI cheats I will too. Bypassing the chicane at the crest gave me just enough advantage to get me into 1st. Curiously though, on lap 9 the Supra seemed to give up and I ended up with 4 or 5 seconds advantage on him.
I found the “AI” on this race particularly during the WC rather nasty. Some of the driving styles were pure madness!

I appreciate everyone's input here. I feel like to win these GT3 races I'm going to need to get Gold in the licenses and the Circuit Experience before I have a chance to compete. Then choosing the correct car on each one helps since any tuning goes out the window. What car was used, fuel map/pit strategy, and lap time are crucial data to help benchmark our progress. I'm 85% on events but 0% on GT3 and GT4 cups. I don't have a single podium finish on any that I have attempted.
Don’t worry, you’ll get there soon! I also found the GT3 Cup races really difficult. And they still are for me. But it’s my chance to drive my beloved 911 RSR and get challenged in an exciting way, so every now and then it’s a real breath of fresh air.
The licenses are nice, because they give you many different tracks and many different cars to get used to and learn their different behaviours. But for those particular races, just keep doing them in your preferred car(s) and you’ll make progress in no time. 💪

Been watching this thread and working on this race for about a week. I finally won with AMG ‘20 on hard. My fastest lap was a low 2:07 with most low 2:08’s. I pitted @ 5 in p2, fuel only, and took 1st at the top of the mountain lap 9. Both P2 & p3 were Ford GTs. I probably ran this race 20 times and only finished it 3 times; the other finishes p7 and p3. I tried several cars. The AI are ruthless in the hill section and will take you out if you make minor mistake in front of them. I also cut the chicane at the top of the mountain. These BOP GT Cup races are a fun challenge; now on to Daytona Road.

... I also cut the chicane at the top of the mountain...
1704727467365.png

I think I've tried to block this race out of my memory because I don't remember doing it. I remember there being a Gr.3 race at Mt. Panorama as some sort of championship in the original single player game. Is this the race y'all you are talking about? Either way, you need to run 2:07-2:08 lap times to win the race. I do recall running the AMG Merc. and finding it to be the most balanced car for that track. I can't remember which Merc. it was though as there are 3 of them in the Gr.3 class.

I have only found a few places on that track to pass the AI. At the top of the mountain you can pass them on the inside of the first sweeping left hander, you can pass them on the inside hard on the brakes into the hairpin before the long back straight, and you can pass them on the brakes in to the 90 degree left hander at the end of the long back straight. I suppose you can also stuff them on the brakes in to turn 1, but be careful of the curb as it can easily spin you out.

Last edited:
I was passing them at the top of the hill, the sweeping left before the downhill, the 180 at the bottom of the hill, the esses and other random spots. I pass when an opportunity presents itself. The replay links are up there ^.

Like they say, if you don't go for the gap, you're not racing!

Standard operating procedure in this race. No penalty line means no holds barred.

I don't know if that's true for many of us. I personally wouldn't feel like I won the race if I were busy skipping sections of the course... to each their own.

I don't know if that's true for many of us. I personally wouldn't feel like I won the race if I were busy skipping sections of the course... to each their own.
Totally agree with you on this - what sort of personal challenge is the game if you’re going to cheat to win? There are times where it’s necessary to push track limits to their max, like at the end of the straight in a RB2019 at Trail Mountain (in Hard mode), but cutting a chicane is not on the list of things I’m comfortable with. The same goes for using tricked-up or overpowered cars to win a difficult race - where's the challenge in cheating, and if there’s no challenge, why bother in the first place? As you say: each to their own!

Totally agree with you on this - what sort of personal challenge is the game if you’re going to cheat to win? There are times where it’s necessary to push track limits to their max, like at the end of the straight in a RB2019 at Trail Mountain (in Hard mode), but cutting a chicane is not on the list of things I’m comfortable with. The same goes for using tricked-up or overpowered cars to win a difficult race - where's the challenge in cheating, and if there’s no challenge, why bother in the first place? As you say: each to their own!
I'm not as righteous as you two.

after a few failed attempts with different cars, I tried again last night..... failed with the 911 and the AMG '20, I won with the RCZ....finally.....

with the 911 and AMG, the AIs were going really fast and adding to that my driving mistakes, I had no chance of winning....needless to go all the way.

the RCZ, has good handling, doesn't eat its tires and doesn't use much fuel.....

as I wanted to win at least once, for the top shortcut, I practiced it for the first 2 laps, but then, as I saw that the leading Renault RS01 wasn't dropping me, I stuck to the normal route.....

I took the lead on lap 4, stopping on lap 5 to change tires (to be on the safe side) and refuel.

I've got 3 accounts, so I'll do it again with the RCZ the other 2 times, being clean from the start, I promise.😂

and I hope to come across a nice AI like the one last night....😂

I drive a "normal" ....at 74 that's enough...😂

after a few failed attempts with different cars, I tried again last night..... failed with the 911 and the AMG '20, I won with the RCZ....finally.....

with the 911 and AMG, the AIs were going really fast and adding to that my driving mistakes, I had no chance of winning....needless to go all the way.

the RCZ, has good handling, doesn't eat its tires and doesn't use much fuel.....

as I wanted to win at least once, for the top shortcut, I practiced it for the first 2 laps, but then, as I saw that the leading Renault RS01 wasn't dropping me, I stuck to the normal route.....

I took the lead on lap 4, stopping on lap 5 to change tires (to be on the safe side) and refuel.

I've got 3 accounts, so I'll do it again with the RCZ the other 2 times, being clean from the start, I promise.😂

and I hope to come across a nice AI like the one last night....😂

I drive a "normal" ....at 74 that's enough...😂
The RCZ is perfect for this race. Not so effective at the Red Bull Ring event though. Had to use the AMG for that.

Sometimes I really hate this stupid game

IMG_4103.jpeg

Thought I finally had this one sorted after many attempts in different cars. Got a grid where one car didn’t just disappear up the road. Was on the tail of the lead Alfa when they pitted on lap 5. Went one lap further, didn’t switch tyres at my stop to save time and preserve track position. In hindsight that was a mistake.

Came out with a 6 sec lead but that Lambo was realing me back in. Should’ve cheated and cut the chicane a few times. They caught me on the very last corner. I defended the inside, got around still ahead by half a length but they pitted me and managed to pull just ahead - apparently. The replay looked a dead heat.

Not sure I have the heart to go again anytime soon. At least I finally found a car I like round here. Not my best track.

Back