How would you want a livery editor to play out?

Absolutely. Especially when playing online and seeing the same car over and over again. Probably the top thing I commend Forza on is it's ability to create unique cars between it's livery editor and aftermarket visuals... Plus it's always fun seeing what people can come up with
Even EA did it in the underground series, how hard can it be?

Even EA did it in the underground series, how hard can it be?

Hard enough, but not really that hard.

I suspect what's stopping them is that they have to prepare 1200+ cars to be livery capable. I believe it requires at the very least a special UV map, but don't quote me on it. For the standards, that would be incredibly time consuming and largely a waste of time. Even for just the premiums, that's a lot of cars to do all at once.

Once again in their hurry to get ahead of the curve they've hamstrung themselves by missing something important.

I suspect what's stopping them is that they have to prepare 1200+ cars to be livery capable. I believe it requires at the very least a special UV map, but don't quote me on it. For the standards, that would be incredibly time consuming and largely a waste of time. Even for just the premiums, that's a lot of cars to do all at once.

Once again in their hurry to get ahead of the curve they've hamstrung themselves by missing something important.

I think part of the issue is overcoming the fact a lot of the detail of Standard cars is actually part of the texture of the car (like the panel gaps, shading, badges, lights) so applying colours and shapes over the top would cause a number of issues (and some work would be necessary to fix that). At least with Premium models, all of those bits of detail are 3D modelled, so a Premium car would respond a lot better to having decals affixed to it. I suspect also the low poly count of Standard cars would cause issues trying to apply smooth curved shapes to things like wheel arches.

Since it seems like the whole Standard/Premium saga will be a thing of the past in GT Sport, it might improve the chances of a livery editor turning up.

Well one would hope that if they've had a livery editor in mind for a few years they've had UV maps added into their workflow for some time, ready for when they're needed. You'd hope. Otherwise yeah, that is 2-3 hours per car to get it done properly and then inevitable further time for fixing bugs.

Well one would hope that if they've had a livery editor in mind for a few years they've had UV maps added into their workflow for some time, ready for when they're needed. You'd hope.

I did think that, but then I thought that if they had then we probably would have seen a livery editor already. The fact that it might have only been usable on Premiums doesn't feel like it would have stopped them in GT5 or GT6, given the rest of the game design. Features that were only usable on part of the car list were absolutely fine to the designer of those games.

GTS will not have a livery editor, I just want to make that quote ahead of time. It might have a sloppy half-editor, but nothing "good".
Just my prediction, 3/17/2016

GTS will not have a livery editor, I just want to make that quote ahead of time. It might have a sloppy half-editor, but nothing "good".
Just my prediction, 3/17/2016

As much as I want it to be true... I'm pretty sure we won't get one for GT Sport either. Maybe half done like you said.

That said I DO fully expect for there to be a high quality one by the time of GT 7... whenever that may be lol

As much as I want it to be true... I'm pretty sure we won't get one for GT Sport either. Maybe half done like you said.

That said I DO fully expect for there to be a high quality one by the time of GT 7... whenever that may be lol
You expect one in GT7? I don't.
I'm not sure enough to predict it, but I think the time for saying "they have to, everyone else has had them for years" has come and gone. If it was a priority, GT6 would have more than number stickers, imho of course.

You expect one in GT7? I don't.
I'm not sure enough to predict it, but I think the time for saying "they have to, everyone else has had them for years" has come and gone. If it was a priority, GT6 would have more than number stickers, imho of course.

I really do and the reason why is Forza. Forza has turned out to be the direct competitor to the GT series and both Forza and GT have their own pros and cons. I feel like PD needs to and knows to an extent that they must compete with everything Forza offers from the visual standpoint. This will help Sony sell GT to an even larger audience and will begin to take Forza fans over to GT.

Sport seems too soon to me and too much to hope for. The most I see is perhaps the ability to add simple stickers or simple designs. It is GT 7 that I see something big coming but we'll see.

I really do and the reason why is Forza. Forza has turned out to be the direct competitor to the GT series and both Forza and GT have their own pros and cons. I feel like PD needs to and knows to an extent that they must compete with everything Forza offers from the visual standpoint. This will help Sony sell GT to an even larger audience and will begin to take Forza fans over to GT.

But Forza is not any more a competitor than it was when Forza 3 or even 2 came out, with livery editors. Why would they feel pressured to match them now? History has shown that PD do not care to follow others in the genre, they do what they like.

Sport seems too soon to me and too much to hope for. The most I see is perhaps the ability to add simple stickers or simple designs. It is GT 7 that I see something big coming but we'll see.

Too soon? They've had over a decade to get the basic principle of a system developed and 3+ years with PS4.

But Forza is not any more a competitor than it was when Forza 3 or even 2 came out, with livery editors. Why would they feel pressured to match them now? History has shown that PD do not care to follow others in the genre, they do what they like.

Too soon? They've had over a decade to get the basic principle of a system developed and 3+ years with PS4.

I suppose you're right on both accounts, but there's no way they don't pay attention to what the competitors are doing... That is simply good business practice to keep up with the competition and they would be stupid to not have a go at a livery editor as in Forza imo.

I suppose you're right on both accounts, but there's no way they don't pay attention to what the competitors are doing... That is simply good business practice to keep up with the competition and they would be stupid to not have a go at a livery editor as in Forza imo.
Kaz has publicly stated he doesn't care what the competition does.

You and I would both agree on that one but there are statements from Kaz in the past saying they don't.

http://www.qj.net/qjnet/news/yamauchi-i-dont-pay-attention-to-other-racing-games.html

His most recent statement was simply that he respects the competition but nothing more.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/11...i-on-forza-we-always-respect-our-competition/

Side note, have a good giggle at his statement in that 2013 article when he thinks GT7 could release.

You and I would both agree on that one but there are statements from Kaz in the past saying they don't.

http://www.qj.net/qjnet/news/yamauchi-i-dont-pay-attention-to-other-racing-games.html

His most recent statement was simply that he respects the competition but nothing more.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/11...i-on-forza-we-always-respect-our-competition/

Side note, have a good giggle at his statement in that 2013 article when he thinks GT7 could release.

Haha 2014 huh??? Well where's it at Kaz? :lol:

Seriously though, I just feel like choosing to not pay attention to the competition is bad leadership/business practice but whatever.:rolleyes:

Haha 2014 huh??? Well where's it at Kaz? :lol:

Seriously though, I just feel like choosing to not pay attention to the competition is bad leadership/business practice but whatever.:rolleyes:
It is a luxury one can afford when they are the industry leader. When money comes rolling in the door no matter what you do with your product it gives you a certain sense of confidence that you're on the right path. So long as the money continues to roll in it reaffirms this sentiment. This is why I mentioned several times in the past that the design of the next GT game will be determined by Kaz's impression of what caused the decline in sales with GT6. If it was based on the quality of the game he'll make big changes most likely. If he thinks it was just caught between consoles you'll likely get the next game being quite similar to previous games in many ways. IMO of course.

It is a luxury one can afford when they are the industry leader. When money comes rolling in the door no matter what you do with your product it gives you a certain sense of confidence that you're on the right path. So long as the money continues to roll in it reaffirms this sentiment. This is why I mentioned several times in the past that the design of the next GT game will be determined by Kaz's impression of what caused the decline in sales with GT6. If it was based on the quality of the game he'll make big changes most likely. If he thinks it was just caught between consoles you'll likely get the next game being quite similar to previous games in many ways. IMO of course.

I get this. I know we are starting to steer of topic... But don't you also think that just because it is the industry leader it still makes for bad practice? I mean a HUGE reason GT is the industry leader is simply because of the name it carries. We all know based on the feedback the games always receive after release, that it really isn't always up to the same caliber as other games and often falls short in many key areas. Unfortunately the blinders stay on Kaz and PD eyes and they only make changes they think are necessary because of the sales and money you spoke of which tbh can be kind of a mirage for the truth.

I get this. I know we are starting to steer of topic... But don't you also think that just because it is the industry leader it still makes for bad practice? I mean a HUGE reason GT is the industry leader is simply because of the name it carries. We all know based on the feedback the games always receive after release, that it really isn't always up to the same caliber as other games and often falls short in many key areas. Unfortunately the blinders stay on Kaz and PD eyes and they only make changes they think are necessary because of the sales and money you spoke of which tbh can be kind of a mirage for the truth.
I think regardless of where you are in the marketplace you're a fool not to be abreast of what the competition is doing. Just ask IBM, Blackberry, Blockbuster, Kodak etc. No one is too big to fail and it often happens very quickly.

I think you guys are asking for (or hoping for, if you will) a lot from PD. They can't even get the physics right and here you guys are hoping for/dreaming of a livery editor. Good luck with that. :lol: I can see all kinds of things going wrong (bugs/glitches) if they were to even attempt an editor.

I think you guys are asking for (or hoping for, if you will) a lot from PD. They can't even get the physics right and here you guys are hoping for/dreaming of a livery editor. Good luck with that. :lol: I can see all kinds of things going wrong (bugs/glitches) if they were to even attempt an editor.

It shouldn't/doesn't have to be that way if PD would just put their resources in the right places. We could have the full game that all us want, but unfortunately PD is so set in there ways that it makes it impossible.

Unless they make serious changes from the top down, I'm afraid that GT will always be lacking something somewhere

It shouldn't/doesn't have to be that way if PD would just put their resources in the right places. We could have the full game that all us want, but unfortunately PD is so set in there ways that it makes it impossible.

Unless they make serious changes from the top down, I'm afraid that GT will always be lacking something somewhere

True, but if PD can't even get the basics right, (I'm mostly talking about the physics and the ass backwards way in which you have to set up your car) I have little to no hope for them in putting together a full fledge livery editor and having it function properly without a bunch of bugs and glitches. I mean, I can see it now....you are racing around the track when all of a sudden your nicely created Pepsi hood decal just suddenly flies off landing on the road behind you disappearing into the track only to mysteriously pop up through the pavement on an entirely different track as you are racing around with your friends. :lol: (ala Eiger Nordwand where things mysteriously pop up through the track from another course. :lol:)

I liked the Livery editor from NASCAR The Game: Inside Line on Playstation 3.
I managed a very good looking replica of this car that I happened to have a a Die-cast of lying around.
View attachment 522818

For me, this was the best one by far:

upload_2016-3-23_23-11-8.png

As much as I despise this game, it had ONE excellent thing I wished subsequent console games had: Paint Booth. I"ve lost track with how much time I spent with that feature (I literally have tons of videos worth of stuff I made). For those that aren't that handy with Painting or photoshop, you had the simple in-game tools that worked great and were easy to use. For us that really wanted to take it to the next level (and were good in photoshop), there was the ability to download templates, create your paint scheme, upload TGA files and download them from your account in-game. Turning your completed flat:

upload_2016-3-23_23-17-26.png

into a full car:

upload_2016-3-23_23-18-4.png

Here's several examples I made rendered in a 3D Program:

Exide Chevy.jpg

God Of War Gamestop Toyota.jpg

Crown Royal XR Ford.jpg

I believe there is a thread here somewhere with one of them, which inspired someone to make a version for Forza :D I really wanted this in PCARS, but of course that didn't happen :guilty:

Clearly it can be done on consoles so I can't understand why, even with the current gen ones, it hasn't been done since.

Last edited:
For me, this was the best one by far:

View attachment 529670
As much as I despise this game, it had ONE excellent thing I wished subsequent console games had: Paint Booth. I"ve lost track with how much time I spent with that feature (I literally have tons of videos worth of stuff I made). For those that aren't that handy with Painting or photoshop, you had the simple in-game tools that worked great and were easy to use. For us that really wanted to take it to the next level (and were good in photoshop), there was the ability to download templates, create your paint scheme, upload TGA files and download them from your account in-game. Turning your completed flat:

View attachment 529671

into a full car:

View attachment 529672

Here's several examples I made rendered in a 3D Program:

View attachment 529673

View attachment 529674

View attachment 529675

I believe there is a thread here somewhere with one of them, which inspired someone to make a version for Forza :D I really wanted this in PCARS, but of course that didn't happen :guilty:

Clearly it can be done on consoles so I can't understand why, even with the current gen ones, it hasn't been done since.

In my opinion, this would be an alright alternative, but I still would hope for an on screen editor as it is in Forza. Personally, I don't want to use a seperate program, or create my design on a stencil then have it applied to my car. I'd rather work on it "live" if you will.

I like Forza's way. I can make my own stickers. I can make up a team name for each car and apply it. Online players have an infinite palette to work with.

I can make a replica
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_GetPhoto(74).jpg

and anything original
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_GetPhoto(64).jpg

Just make it user friendly.

Or:

upload_2016-3-24_15-31-7.png

Have the Forza system that people love AND have the ability to paint on a template and download it into the game for us that use Paint programs.

For sure. It would be great if those that are serious "virtual" painters and those with the know-how, can make cool creations.
I just feel, I personally can not go backwards after making some of the liveries I can today.

Like Forza 6's with all the community options, but with one major difference: to be able to import images. Don't know if this is possible, or the technical aspects of making it work, but that would make the Livery Editor nearly perfect in every sense.

Back