I hope gt4 music doesnt suck like gt3 did..

• Thread starter GTO_VR4
  • 204 comments
Eagle my point was if GTs engine sounds weren't utterly crap, then yes, I may turn music off, but as it stands, the farty little buzz that GT has, I'd rather have music on. I like music when I'm racing on games, it can add excitement to a game, much in the same way music adds a certain something to films. The Cracker, I race perfectly fine with music thank you, nor do I suffer from a short attention span. Don't jump to such dumb ass conclusions.

I think you'll find that it's scientifically proven that the type of music you listen to will influence the way that you drive...

However I suspect that it's also proven that listening to Indy/Rock probably doesn't help!!

C.

tbh I don't care what genre it is, as long as it's not too intrusive and fits in. One thing I like about PGR games are the radio stations, you get to choose your own genre. I'd love to see GT have this kind of feature.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 had the option of selecting Rock or Techno genres specifically. I hated how you couldn't have both combined though. And the techno tracks consisted of The Humble Bro's and that was pretty much it.

More selection is needed if the GT soundtrack is going to be successful (this included more then 2 genres). Also a jukebox option has to be better. An on-the-fly radio which can be selected with a hotkey (pushing in L3 or R3?) in the HUD would be great too, so you may skip a song that's gotta little to repetitive.

I say that if PD is looking for some good music, there are two sources. One from my Gamecube, the other from a 6-CD Collection from an FYE store (that I should have bought, but elected not to). One was some sort of summer tour for Ibiza from 2001, the other is FIFA 2002. I don't know if I want to get the latest FIFA Soccer game from EA, the Winning Eleven Seven game, or Rugby 2004 (I'd probably want to play rugby more), but the music from soccer/football is really high-energy, and is highly appropriate to soccer because soccer is a high-energy sport. But then, auto racing can be high-energy. And as an avid fan of electronica whether it is generic or pulsating, GT4 should put in some more techno. I mentioned Ridge Racer V before because the techno in some of the Namco games has some good beats, even if they are a bit dull. I mean, play Tekken Tag Tournament or RRV and check out the music.

So my "suggestion" would be more electronica. I've gotten into techno since watching MTV show "Amp" back in the mid-late 1990s with Prodigy and Chemical Brothers and all. I've also gotten into it by playing games from the WipeOut series, which has to be the best futuristic racing game series ever. I wasn't very excited with F-Zero, even though Captain Falcon kicks ass (literally) in Super Smash Bros. Melee. I mean, I'd rather listen to some pulsating beats from Europe or America or even Japan than "Sweet Home Alabama." Now if you'll excuse me, I have a German Bundesliga (or however you spell it) match on my Gamecube going. Toodles!

code_kev
Don't jump to such dumb ass conclusions.

But then...

code_kev
Why would a TRUE gt player turn music off?

Oops.

code_kev
Eagle my point was if GTs engine sounds weren't utterly crap, then yes, I may turn music off, but as it stands, the farty little buzz that GT has, I'd rather have music on. I like music when I'm racing on games, it can add excitement to a game, much in the same way music adds a certain something to films.

Good for you, don't include us in your generalisation then.

I'm sure PD has plenty of money and space to devote to music, and I'm sure they'll come up with something useful. My only real complaint about the music in GT3 was that there wasn't enough of it: they should have combined the PAL and NTSC soundtracks into one large one for both versions. I think a really good soundtrack is one that's versatile and varied, that you can listen to whether you're drafting through the Test Course or white-knuckling your way around Cote D'Azur.

Also I think they should have longer songs in the menus.. the snippets they have are like 30 seconds long, and much as I quite enjoy the jazz/funk stuff they've used, hearing the same section of a keyboard solo 5 times in a row is enough to have any music fan reaching for the mute button.

code_kev
hearing what sounds like a bee stuck a shoe box for 10 minutes per race isn't very...interesting.

:lol: That I agree with.

If GT improved its engine sounds past GT : P, then I might just listen to engine sounds. But until then I'd definately prefer music, GT engines sounds are so monotonous & repetitive it sends me to sleep :crazy:

RalliSport Challenge 2 however, I turned the music off after 5 minutes & just listened to the engine sounds :)

But even so its nice to have the option of a soundtrack.

chaos95
I'm sure PD has plenty of money and space to devote to music, and I'm sure they'll come up with something useful.

This is the best thing about the GT series being PD/Sony Computer in house developed games. All other games that want 'commercial' music on the soundtrack have to get in to complex licensing deals with the publishers. PD on the other hand can stay 'in house' and only have to approach the Sony Music arm of Sony and request tracks, to put in the game, and as long as there well protected (i.e. can't be played outside of gameplay, that will be why there are only small clips in the pref's section) Sony Music wont have any real problem as it increases the exposure of there artists.
I would have never have bought some of the stuff that was on the GT2 soundtrack if I haden't listened to it constantly while playing.

GT 3 did have the worst music of the GT games, but "Turbo Lover" is the best song in the series!!

They better have some Garbage on the GT 4 Soundtrack. GT 3 just didn't seem right without it.

Other than that, I just wanna hear some driving tunes like Steppenwolf's "Born to be Wild" or Metallica's "Fuel". I like the techno tracks too, so a healthy dose of those will make me a happy camper. Actually, I wouldn't mind hearing some hip hop as well. I think a nice variety of loud, fast music will make everyone happy. :)

P.S: The custom soundtracks in PGR 2 are the best part about that game bar none. Nothing is finer than cruising down Nurb in a black Enzo while jamming to "Little Deuce Coupe"

capnlarge
Other than that, I just wanna hear some driving tunes like Steppenwolf's "Born to be Wild" or Metallica's "Fuel". I like the techno tracks too, so a healthy dose of those will make me a happy camper. Actually, I wouldn't mind hearing some hip hop as well.

As long as they are on a Sony affiliated label, than anythings a possibility.

I like that Goldfinger song (99 red baloons cover). And lets hope it doesn't have the same soundtrack as Need For Speed Underground. --that's Ludacris feat. lil john and biggie pimp masta--

Cosmic
Yes , I hated the hardrock/rock/metalica music or what should I call it for. Lets hope that GT4 would have better soundtracks/music.

Agreed! I love the music of GT and GT2, but I think they change the music a little to be more NA-ish for GT3. Not that I listen to them much, I turn off all the music anyway when I play or watch replays.

The exhaust note from an engine IS a form of music after all. 👍

Cosmic
Techno/Trance and nothing else!
DAMN STRAIGHT!

I wouldn't mind rock songs, that MOST PEOPLE HAVE HEARD OF. I mean, who the hell was 8 stops 7? I know Snoop Dog, and the guy who wrote "She Sells Sancutary" has had some cool songs. Lenny Kravitz, I had heard of, but haven't really heard much of his songs. I woould like songs from artists EVERY ONE is from.

nvm, found them on the Prologue forum, sorry.

Well for having songs on GT4, its better to leave them off when driving because when I drive on Prologue or GT3, its kinda a distraction and try to listen at the same time doing corners, it throws me off and messes me up. I could drive with the music but its better having them off and then listening after on replay.

but the bgmusic is important for surviving the endurance games ( like the famous pollargame )

lets hope that the music in gt4 will be as good as the music in gt1 (the best soundtrack i think)

Clearly PD is never going to be able to cater to everyone's musical taste, regardless of what they put in there. Am I going to expect OneSideZero, The Blank Theory, Earshot, Dredg or Drowning Pool to be in the game? Hell no, I'm not that dumb. If I want to listen to those bands whilst I play GT4, I'll play them on my computer. Not everyone can do that, but a lot of people have stereos. Don't have anything but a TV? Too bad. I always turn the music off so I can concentrate on shifting and driving anyway.

i just want HD MP3 support, other than that i'll listen to the music on the disc, got bored eventually (no matter how cool the soundtrack is, after hearing it 300 times it begins to pale), turn off music and run Winamp on my computer in the backround

I wouldn't mind an option the XBOX had. Such as, PD could come out with a music cord, that hooked up to the back of your PS2. Then you hooked your MP3 Player or whatever with the cord, and under music options, you could add the songs to th CD's music choices. I think that would be a cool idea, but knowing my luck with wishes, it'll never happen. Unless for some crazy reason, one of the workers suddenly got the idea to make that as an idea.

BUt like I said, knowing my luck with wishes.

It would be so easy to have support for streaming music of USB sticks whist playing a game.......you can fit quite a few MP3's on a 256mb one! :)

and if GT4 supported them i would buy one :D
what a great marketting strategy, email Sony right away and tell them about it, they could make Millions off Memory sticks alone with that kinda support

Real drivers don't listen to music ( Did you ever seen Ayrton Senna adjusting the volume of his cassette player ? NO )
GT4 is a sim is in't ? then no music. Specially if it's of poor taste, with yelling kids and 100% synthesizer instruments like the ones in GT3.
How about some useful crew pit messages instead.

Back