If Gran Turismo had only fantasy cars...

  • Thread starter Thread starter AlexGTV
  • 53 comments
  • 4,141 views
Technically ALL of the cars in GT5 are fantasy cars.

Since none of the cars actually drive 100% like the real thing (Would be impossible on current hardware).
 
UH!.....let me see, what's the word I'm looking for?????? Oh yeah, NO.
 
Then it wouldn't be Gran Turismo anymore, simple as that. Now if PD could develop a racing game with fantasy cars, based off GT5 with a new name, I'd be interested.
 
Then it wouldn't be Gran Turismo anymore, simple as that. Now if PD could develop a racing game with fantasy cars, based off GT5 with a new name, I'd be interested.

Yeah, Kaz himself said that he sees GT as a virtual 'car encyclopaedia' and it just wouldn't be that with fantasy cars. They'll never be able to include every car, but they can include the best of cars, and I hope they manage that.
 
I don't think I would buy Gran Turismo 5 if it only contained fantasy cars, as it would lose the whole purpose of being "The Real Driving Simulator". Not to say that the game doesn't have fantasy cars in it at all. Look at the X2010 / X2011 for a start.

I dont get what you mean by fantasy car ? Is it like Motor Toon GP or the X1, FGT, all the LM car etc.. are fantasy car for you ?

No, what he means is that if Gran Turismo 5 only had made-up cars like the X2010 that don't exist in real life and no cars that exist in real life, would you still buy it?
 
If GT have fantasy cars...it wouldn't be the real driving simulator now would it?
Besides, if I wanted to drive futuristic racing cars (or in this case, fantasy cars), I can either pop in F-Zero or, staying with the PS3, Wipeout.
So my answer is...NO.
 
Those speaking of spaceships have never heard of LFS, which is what GT5 would be (minus the car setup options/detail), as pointed by another user, if it had only fantasy cars.
That LFS doesn't have real cars, doesn't make it less realistic in physics and driving behavior (in fact it's better than GT5 in several aspects).

Anyway, such GT would probably have less cars than we're used to, because creating and modeling original (=that are not slight varations of real cars with badges taken off) and believable fantasy "generic" models (GT isn't just about "exxxtremez" supercars) completely from scratch and imagination is way more difficult than modeling real cars from reference (photos, scale models, etc). So, given the same amount of selectable cars (3-400?) if would probably cost PD the same as acquiring licences and modeling real ones, if not more (factoring designing and modeling time).
 
Last edited:
Usually a game with fantasy cars don't have 1000 cars, they don't need them. LFS basically have models with different characteristics, FWD, 4WD, MR, Turbo, Aspired, Lightwight, Formula Cars like F. Bmw.. etc and this is what GT should focus, covering as much more "categories" as possible.
The Formula GT is a total fictional standard model but it has a big role in the game, covering the formula championship. What if PD create other fictional models covering particular Motorsport categories? What about a PD Formula 3 and a PD vintage 1950ish F1 ? You can't say they are useless.
 
Nah it wouldn't be the same
 
(time to update info) I should have posted this before hacked cars got banned but the "hybrid" cars (if used offline) were fun fantasy cars.
 
Why do people keep saying that TCs don't exist? Take an R-32. Gut it. Cage it. Add suspension bits. Now it's a TC.

TCs are based on Real cars, the R33 TC for example has bits of the 96 LeMans R33 LM Nismo and the JGTC (97?) R33.
 
Absolutely not!
 
TCs are based on Real cars, the R33 TC for example has bits of the 96 LeMans R33 LM Nismo and the JGTC (97?) R33.


The R32 TC is based off of the 1994 JGTC racer. I saw it in one of dem JGTC recap videos on Youtube.
 
Still doesn't mean those TC "exist" in real life. They may be realistic, they may be based on real cars but they do not exist. They're fictional.
 
I doubt it would sell as well - mind you the Batmobile suggestion has a lot of merit, so a DLC pack of similar fantasy vehicles for the pure fun would definitely be interesting.

That probably wouldn't happen though, due to the heavy workload they're already under at PD.
 
There is already a game like that... it's called Ridge Racer :)
 
Last edited:
There is already a game like that... it' called Ridge Racer :)

Actually, Ridge Racer games nowadays have strayed away from being a "classic" arcade racer that relied on pure driving skill into more of a Burnout Clone with weapons and "Environmental Events" that change the layout of the circuit every five seconds...:crazy::sick::yuck:

As for the question at hand... No, I wouldn't play a Gran Turismo game with purely fictional cars; The LM racers that are based of of real-life Touring and GT cars and cars like the Formula GT are fine enough as it is. Now, if PD were to make new game based on GT5's physics engine that had a old-school Ridge Racer feel to it? IE Fantasy cars that are grounded in reality, racing on circuits that are kinda-grounded in reality with an actual story surrounding it? Sign me up ASAP!
 
Still doesn't mean those TC "exist" in real life. They may be realistic, they may be based on real cars but they do not exist. They're fictional.

I guess you're right. :indiff:
Would be cool to see the LMs brought to life, I think the RX-7 LM and Ford GT LM Could work.
Maybe in the next GT PD can make them Premiums like they did the Ford GT Spec II.
 
Fantasy cars NO, Concept cars YES, I for one would love an up to date GT Concept, That pod race was a riot 👍
 
If GT had fantasy cars, im sure they would work with Hot Wheels...
They make a lot of small fantasy cars to uy, but PD would give them an engine
 
Back