Is a Hot Dog a Sandwich?

• Thread starter Joel
  • 400 comments

Is a Hot Dog a Sandwich?

• Total voters
Have never heard of it.

I did a quick search and apparently we do have it in stores. Guess I'll have to look for it and see if I can find it next time I'm at the store.
I think of Hellmann's as being more like Miracle Whip than not, because of its sweetness. Duke's is less sweet than Hellmann's. It also uses cider vinegar for its acidic punch instead of a neutral vinegar (which I believe is what Hellmann's uses) or lemon juice, and while I suspect it uses whole eggs like Hellmann's, there's a difference in richness that makes me think the Duke's uses additional yolks--it's richer, but not excessively so. It's an awesome mayo.

As I said, mayo is just so easy in a blender (and can be made exactly to taste) that I can rarely be compelled to buy it, but Duke's is what I buy if I do.

Yes those are sandwiches. And I don't even require the substrate on either side of the sandwiched layer to be uniform material. For example, a pizza, even with perfectly thin crust, is still a sandwich because it's a layer of tomato sauce sandwiched between dough and cheese.

We could even go down to the molecular level and call nearly everything a sandwich.
smiley_yes.gif
:lol:

All glory to the mighty sandwich!

Never! Tomatoes are fruit. So are eggplants and squash. Olives, too. And peppers! Legumes are fruit, which means peanuts aren't actually nuts, rather they're the seeds of a fruit. Walnuts, almonds, cashews and pistachios aren't nuts either, rather they're also the seeds of fruit (specifically drupes, like peaches), and in the case of the cashew, the seed is actually outside of the fruit body (referred to as a cashew apple). Pignoli (pine nuts) aren't actually nuts, instead they're gymnosperms--the unprotected seeds of the pine tree, carried by the cone. The cone is not a fruit. Avocados are large berries. Bananas and pineapple are fruit, as you're likely aware, but they're actually berries as well.

Where were you when I had that food round at trivia pre-COVID?

With a taco, the shell remains upright as the head is cocked.

Not always. See the presenter eating tacos below:

Not the only example.

There's not nearly enough vitriolic rage in this thread, and I'm frankly appalled by how prepared we are to potter about passing this debate football in our own half, never mustering the fighting spirit as a team to go for goal.

I will drop my bombshell now;

A hot dog cannot be a sandwich because a sausage sandwich is already a clearly defined and quite distinct dish. It's two or three cooked pork sausages, cut in half lengthways to prevent unwanted bread sliding, sandwiched between two slices of bread with a generous helping of a sauce of the consumer's choice - in my household, brown sauce.

Never have I been preparing such a meal and caught myself in a linguistic Schrödinger's cat scenario, slipping into inescapable existential dread as I question - am I really just making some kind of very wide, flat hot dog here? Likewise, never have I pressed a frankfurter into a clean sliced bun, drizzling it in barbecue sauce, and stood frozen wide eyed in horror at the realisation that I'm making an incomplete sausage sandwich.

Nay, they be separate entities, both the cookbook and the English language are clear on this. Further to that I say to those who would challenge this most noble example of the clarity of the language - shame, shame on you, may your hot dogs be soggy and your sausage sandwiches slide apart.

A firm stand must be taken by those with the integrity not to falter from what is right.

Further to that I say to those who would challenge this most noble example of the clarity of the language - shame, shame on you, may your hot dogs be soggy and your sausage sandwiches slide apart.
You're implying there that a hot dog or sausage sandwich made differently to your way is still a hot dog and still a sausage sandwich.

Which is probably correct but it's the opposite of what you tried to impose at the start of that post.

You're implying there that a hot dog or sausage sandwich made differently to your way is still a hot dog and still a sausage sandwich.

Which is probably correct but it's the opposite of what you tried to impose at the start of that post.
I disagree (that it is opposite) - just because the hypothetical person here does not construct their hot dog or sausage sandwich with the supreme skill and artistry of one such as I, does not mean they weren't making the same thing.

Say we have a house made of bricks and mortar, and I attempt to replicate that with the same materials. Lacking any skill in masonry, my house falls apart shortly afterwards. That event does not mean that I was trying to build a megalithic burial mound instead of a house.

A hot dog cannot be a sandwich because a sausage sandwich is already a clearly defined and quite distinct dish. It's two or three cooked pork sausages, cut in half lengthways to prevent unwanted bread sliding, sandwiched between two slices of bread with a generous helping of a sauce of the consumer's choice - in my household, brown sauce.
You're saying a hot dog can't be a sandwich because sausages and bread prepared an entirely different way already claim the sandwich title. That's laughable.

You're saying a hot dog can't be a sandwich because sausages and bread prepared an entirely different way already claim the sandwich title. That's laughable.
It's as clear a solution as you're going to get to this problem that threatens to turn brother against brother, and I would call anyone who calls it laughable a troublemaker and an agent of chaos. Did Putin put you up to this?

Where were you when I had that food round at trivia pre-COVID?
Very far away, I suspect.

Not always. See the presenter eating tacos below:

Not the only example.

Ah, this is fair. I suppose I've consumed tacos, at least in part, in that manner as well. The nature and/or quantity of the taco's contents likely plays a role here. Also the container.

Also, @Danoff indicated a propensity to utilize the head tilt when consuming hot dogs, and I may have done as well.

I confess it wasn't the most reasoned approach, but it seemed probative. I think there may still be some consistency, but exceptions surely exist.

Ah, this is fair. I suppose I've consumed tacos, at least in part, in that manner as well. The nature and/or quantity of the taco's contents likely plays a role here. Also the container.

Also, @Danoff indicated a propensity to utilize the head tilt when consuming hot dogs, and I may have done as well.

I confess it wasn't the most reasoned approach, but it seemed probative. I think there may still be some consistency, but exceptions surely exist.

And to be fair, I too generally consume tacos with my head cocked to the side and have eaten hot dogs both with my face upright or tilted.

I was thinking more about this though, and pushes what you talk a bit about further. What if we change the paradigm by which we discuss whether something is or isn't a sandwich? Rather than relying on a deterministic set of qualifiers (that in and of themselves are not necessarily precise) describing its observed state at a specific point in time, we introduce and use an additional probabilistic set of qualifiers describing other segments of a sandwich lifecycle, including construction methods and methods of consumption? We can include a time dimension if we would like, e.g., what if the sample spends 70% time eating it with one hand and 30% of time eating it with 2 hands?

If it meets a certain probabilistic significance, we can then categorize it as a sandwich, or whatever other category. Or alternatively, describe items as x percent sandwich likelihood.

A hot dog cannot be a sandwich because a sausage sandwich is already a clearly defined and quite distinct dish. It's two or three cooked pork sausages, cut in half lengthways to prevent unwanted bread sliding, sandwiched between two slices of bread with a generous helping of a sauce.

Regional dialect.

Let it be known that in parts of Australia, a “sausage sandwich” describes the following.
12F7C3BF-38B3-48B7-B815-19BF02C23E81.jpeg

Link to “sausage sandwich” stand on eBay.

Which may well raise more questions then answers :boggled:

12 Things You Didn’t Know About Hot Dogs

Along with burgers, the hot dog is one of those staple summer cookout foods, and everyone has a preferred style. Whether you top yours with mustard and sauerkraut or chili and cheese, we bet there’s still a lot you don’t know about this humble and classic American food.

They're a Purely American Invention

The sausages themselves are obviously German in origin, but nobody thought to put them in a bun until they began to catch on in popularity in America.

There’s a Difference Between Frankfurters and Wieners

Head to an authentic German sausage shop and you’ll see two different sausages: wieners and frankfurters. Frankfurters are made entirely with pork, and wieners are a mixture of pork and beef. And as the names might imply, frankfurters originated in Frankfurt and wieners from Vienna. To make things even more confusing: in the U.S., “franks” tend to be all beef.

The Story Behind Their Creation, and The Name, Remains a Mystery

Most people credit Charles Feltman, a German immigrant who ran a hugely successful restaurant in Coney Island, with being the first to sell hot dogs in buns in 1870, but a couple other contenders exist as well. The most popular alternate theory claims that a Bavarian immigrant named Anton Feuchtwanger sold sausages on the streets of St. Louis and provided his customers with gloves to prevent them from burning their fingers. But when the gloves kept getting stolen, his wife suggested using a roll instead.

As for the term “hot dog,” there are several myths and legends around that as well. The term “dog” was applied to sausages even before they made their way to America, because some German sausages actually contained dog meat. And because the sausages were thin and long, German vendors took to calling them “dachshund sausages,” which evolved into “hot dog.” The earliest use of the term “hot dog” appeared in the December 31, 1892, edition of the Paterson Daily Press in New Jersey. The story was about a local traveling vendor known as “Hot Dog Morris.”

Selling Hot Dogs at Baseball Games Dates Back to the 1880s

Baseball’s association with hot dogs is almost as old as the game itself. This dates back to a gregarious German immigrant, named Chris von der Ahe (pictured), who ran a popular saloon in St. Louis before purchasing the struggling Brown Stockings (today’s Cardinals). He sold tickets for just 25 cents and banked on fans (a term he’s credited with coining) spending their money on beer and food instead. He was the first to sell hot dogs at the ballpark, and the idea took off.

Nathan Was Encouraged by Two Legendary Entertainers to Open His Own Shop

Nathan Handwerker was an employee at Coney Island’s sprawling Feltman’s Restaurant when two of his friends, singing waiters named Eddie Cantor and Jimmy Durante, convinced him to go into business on his own selling hot dogs for five cents — half the price of

Poultry-Based Dogs are Made with “White Slime”

If you look at the ingredient panel of any poultry-based hot dog, you’ll most likely see that the meat is “mechanically separated,” which is just as frightening as it sounds. It’s made by puréeing the animal’s carcass after meat has been manually removed from the bones and then forcing this slurry through a sieve under high pressure. While the sieve removes most of the bone, the end result is primarily made up of bone marrow, nerves, skin, connective tissue, veins and blood vessels, and whatever meat was left on the bone. It’s nicknamed “white slime,” like its close cousin, beef-based “pink slime].” If any organ meat is used in hot dog production, it must be listed on the ingredients label. Although hot dogs can contain no more than 20 percent mechanically separated pork, according to the USDA, “hot dogs can contain any amount of mechanically separated chicken or turkey.”

There are Three Types of Casing

Like all sausages, hot dogs need to be forced into a casing before being cooked. “Natural casing” hot dogs are made from the small intestines of sheep or pigs, which have been processed until only the layer called the submucosa membrane, consisting primarily of connective tissue, remains (you can find all the unpleasant details here). Artificial casings are usually made with reconstituted collagen, and skinless hot dogs are made with cellulose casing that’s removed during the production process.

Hot Dog Styles Are Very Geographically Confusing

Michigan hot dogs are popular in upstate New York, Coney dogs are popular in Michigan, New York System dogs are popular in Rhode Island, and Texas hot dogs are popular in New York and Pennsylvania, but not Texas. It’s all a mystery.

Four Companies Sell More Hot Dogs Than Any Other

The World’s Longest Hot Dog was Insanely Hard to Construct

The world’s longest hot dog with both a contiguous sausage and bun was made in Paraguay in 2011, to commemorate its 200th anniversary as a country. At 669 feet long, making the record-breaking sausage was the easy part; in order to make the bun, the entire raw bun had to be fed by conveyor belts through an oven. The timing had to be perfect and there needed to be enough room to handle it, but in the end they pulled off the feat. After the measurement was taken, it was cut into 2,000 four-inch portions and distributed to the public.

Getting Into the Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest is a Lot More Complicated Than You Might Think

If you want to compete in the legendary Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest, held in Coney Island every July 4, you can’t just show up and jump in. All competitors must be under contract with an organization called Major League Eating, which sanctions professional competitive eating events, and must either be the defending champion or winner of a regional qualifying event. Fun fact: The zany master of ceremonies of the annual contest, George Shea, was the publicity manager for Nathan’s who, in the 1980s, turned the contest from a small publicity stunt into the massive spectacle it is today. He also founded Major League Eating.

17 Percent of Childhood Choking Deaths are Hot Dog-Related

Of all the children under the age of 10 who die of choking, 17 percent asphyxiate because of hot dogs. Because they’re nearly impossible to dislodge from a windpipe due to their size and shape, doctors recommend that they be sliced lengthwise and into small pieces.

12 Things You Didn’t Know About Hot Dogs

Along with burgers, the hot dog is one of those staple summer cookout foods, and everyone has a preferred style. Whether you top yours with mustard and sauerkraut or chili and cheese, we bet there’s still a lot you don’t know about this humble and classic American food.

They're a Purely American Invention

The sausages themselves are obviously German in origin, but nobody thought to put them in a bun until they began to catch on in popularity in America.

There’s a Difference Between Frankfurters and Wieners

Head to an authentic German sausage shop and you’ll see two different sausages: wieners and frankfurters. Frankfurters are made entirely with pork, and wieners are a mixture of pork and beef. And as the names might imply, frankfurters originated in Frankfurt and wieners from Vienna. To make things even more confusing: in the U.S., “franks” tend to be all beef.

The Story Behind Their Creation, and The Name, Remains a Mystery

Most people credit Charles Feltman, a German immigrant who ran a hugely successful restaurant in Coney Island, with being the first to sell hot dogs in buns in 1870, but a couple other contenders exist as well. The most popular alternate theory claims that a Bavarian immigrant named Anton Feuchtwanger sold sausages on the streets of St. Louis and provided his customers with gloves to prevent them from burning their fingers. But when the gloves kept getting stolen, his wife suggested using a roll instead.

As for the term “hot dog,” there are several myths and legends around that as well. The term “dog” was applied to sausages even before they made their way to America, because some German sausages actually contained dog meat. And because the sausages were thin and long, German vendors took to calling them “dachshund sausages,” which evolved into “hot dog.” The earliest use of the term “hot dog” appeared in the December 31, 1892, edition of the Paterson Daily Press in New Jersey. The story was about a local traveling vendor known as “Hot Dog Morris.”

Selling Hot Dogs at Baseball Games Dates Back to the 1880s

Baseball’s association with hot dogs is almost as old as the game itself. This dates back to a gregarious German immigrant, named Chris von der Ahe (pictured), who ran a popular saloon in St. Louis before purchasing the struggling Brown Stockings (today’s Cardinals). He sold tickets for just 25 cents and banked on fans (a term he’s credited with coining) spending their money on beer and food instead. He was the first to sell hot dogs at the ballpark, and the idea took off.

Nathan Was Encouraged by Two Legendary Entertainers to Open His Own Shop

Nathan Handwerker was an employee at Coney Island’s sprawling Feltman’s Restaurant when two of his friends, singing waiters named Eddie Cantor and Jimmy Durante, convinced him to go into business on his own selling hot dogs for five cents — half the price of

Poultry-Based Dogs are Made with “White Slime”

If you look at the ingredient panel of any poultry-based hot dog, you’ll most likely see that the meat is “mechanically separated,” which is just as frightening as it sounds. It’s made by puréeing the animal’s carcass after meat has been manually removed from the bones and then forcing this slurry through a sieve under high pressure. While the sieve removes most of the bone, the end result is primarily made up of bone marrow, nerves, skin, connective tissue, veins and blood vessels, and whatever meat was left on the bone. It’s nicknamed “white slime,” like its close cousin, beef-based “pink slime].” If any organ meat is used in hot dog production, it must be listed on the ingredients label. Although hot dogs can contain no more than 20 percent mechanically separated pork, according to the USDA, “hot dogs can contain any amount of mechanically separated chicken or turkey.”

There are Three Types of Casing

Like all sausages, hot dogs need to be forced into a casing before being cooked. “Natural casing” hot dogs are made from the small intestines of sheep or pigs, which have been processed until only the layer called the submucosa membrane, consisting primarily of connective tissue, remains (you can find all the unpleasant details here). Artificial casings are usually made with reconstituted collagen, and skinless hot dogs are made with cellulose casing that’s removed during the production process.

Hot Dog Styles Are Very Geographically Confusing

Michigan hot dogs are popular in upstate New York, Coney dogs are popular in Michigan, New York System dogs are popular in Rhode Island, and Texas hot dogs are popular in New York and Pennsylvania, but not Texas. It’s all a mystery.

Four Companies Sell More Hot Dogs Than Any Other

The World’s Longest Hot Dog was Insanely Hard to Construct

The world’s longest hot dog with both a contiguous sausage and bun was made in Paraguay in 2011, to commemorate its 200th anniversary as a country. At 669 feet long, making the record-breaking sausage was the easy part; in order to make the bun, the entire raw bun had to be fed by conveyor belts through an oven. The timing had to be perfect and there needed to be enough room to handle it, but in the end they pulled off the feat. After the measurement was taken, it was cut into 2,000 four-inch portions and distributed to the public.

Getting Into the Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest is a Lot More Complicated Than You Might Think

If you want to compete in the legendary Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest, held in Coney Island every July 4, you can’t just show up and jump in. All competitors must be under contract with an organization called Major League Eating, which sanctions professional competitive eating events, and must either be the defending champion or winner of a regional qualifying event. Fun fact: The zany master of ceremonies of the annual contest, George Shea, was the publicity manager for Nathan’s who, in the 1980s, turned the contest from a small publicity stunt into the massive spectacle it is today. He also founded Major League Eating.

17 Percent of Childhood Choking Deaths are Hot Dog-Related

Of all the children under the age of 10 who die of choking, 17 percent asphyxiate because of hot dogs. Because they’re nearly impossible to dislodge from a windpipe due to their size and shape, doctors recommend that they be sliced lengthwise and into small pieces.
The penalty for calling a Hot Dog a Sandwich is still hanging.

Passed into law by William I, conqueror of England, this law related to the use of French in the English court made misnaming a hot dog a crime equitable to treason. Those prosecuted were most often hung, drawn and quartered at a hot dog eating contest.

How did that get there?

I'm suddenly reminded of the following movie line exchange, lolz

"Remember hot dogs?"

"Yeah..."

"I never actually thought they were made out of DOG!"

"I don't think they're made of meat!"

"They taste the best when they fall in the dirt."

"Yeaaaaahhhh..."

The movie line exchange is from Homeward Bound. It's between Chance and Shadow as they're looking for food, being stalked by a mountain lion.

I recently became aware that there is an American council of the Hot Dog. Thanks to Joey D in another thread.

According to the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council, putting ketchup on a hot dog after age 18 is a "don't" per their hot dog etiquette:

https://www.hot-dog.org/culture/hot-dog-etiquette

Honestly, I don't really care how people eat their hot dogs, I just find ketchup to be absolutely disgusting for whatever reason. But can we stop for a second and appreciate just how American it is to have a council solely dedicated to meat in tube form?

So I became curious on their opinion of this topic. Their website had a contact email, so I got in touch.
14031D04-224E-48F8-B3ED-E240A26FFC42.png

I eagerly await their reply...

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back