Is Dirt 3 worth it?

• Thread starter ghsnu
  • 13 comments
United States
Tucson, AZ
spedy7
Been eyeing the game for some time, but took my preorder off to buy Black Ops for the 360.

Also, is Gymikana basically a freeroam-type mode? (by that, I mean can you just drive around the place with no objectives and do stunts?)

What do you mean by "is it worth it"? What exactly are you looking for in the game? If you're after a simulator on par with GT5, you're going to be disappointed.

As for Gymkhana, it is both free-roam and competitive. After completing certain parts of the game, you can enter the Battersea Compound. Completing more of the game opens up other sections, and by completing certain objectives in the Compound, you will eventually be able to access everything at once.

It's also competitive. There are eight other gymkhana arenas; four in (and around) the LA Coliseum, and four on the Monaco waterfront. You then get ninety seconds to drive around and perform as many tricks as you can, which you are scored for. These arenas are smaller than any of the three Battersea zones, and there are no competitive events in Battersea during the Dirt Tour (though it is used for three of the four party mode games).

As an arcade racer. It's probably the best arcade game.

As for a sim experience look elsewhere.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it an arcade. Rallycross and Landrush are very much arcade modes, but the rest of the game has a feeling much closer to a simulator. So it's really a simulator with arcade physics, or an arcade game with simulator physics.

Ok more simulator with arcade physics.
They never intended to make a sim. They didn't want to change a winning formula.

You're asking people who like this game if it's worth it....so why would we say no? :lol:

In other words, we (most of us) have a positive bias towards this game. You may like it, you may not like it... no one knows, not even yourself. I always have to question why people ask others if they themselves will like the game... To truly know, you should try it yourself via rental or anything else similar

If you like rally races, and have a wheel then you will like dirt3. With a wheel, physics is more sim than arcade.

If you love rallies you'll like it - one way or the other. There's only a big problem with this game: there's just 4! 4 rallies! Are you kidding us, Codies? It's a bit like a Dirt3 Prologue, but full price. Yes I feel I got 1 third of what I paid for.

Consider this: DIRT 3 had four locations with eight stages each. That's thirty-two stages. DIRT 2, on the other hand, had six locations with four stages each. That's just 24 stages. So DIRT 3 is already 33% bigger than its predecessor.

Consider this: DIRT 3 had four locations with eight stages each. That's thirty-two stages. DIRT 2, on the other hand, had six locations with four stages each. That's just 24 stages. So DIRT 3 is already 33% bigger than its predecessor.

👍 :)

Four locations with eight stages?
It still feels like 4 locations with 1 stage, broken up into little pieces.

On the other hand, Finland is really damn great, sound is pretty impressive as well, a little less grip and the WRC license with lots of locations and this would be the perfect Colin McRae Game of the Century.

sorry, just daydreaming...

I like D3 online quite a bit (hardcore mode is great), but the career is pitiful IMO. I still think D2 has much more track variations. Mulitple Routes on some point to points (landrush?), Technical Rallies (later China rallies are awesome), and even the RallyX.

I feel they watered down D3 quite a bit. Even the graphic on the PS3 are washed out compared to D2.

IMO, if you like online its worth it, if your looking for a decent single player career, get D2.

Back