Is Gran turismo 5 prologue the best looking racing game?

I guess it depends how you look at it, it's probably the most photorealistic and the car models are superb, at least in the garages anyway(in game could be better) however the thing that lets gt5p down is it's atmosphere and lack of effects like skid marks, exhaust fumes etc etc.... Looking at the gt5 trailer though it looks like a lot of this will be fixed, but i really hop they sort out the horrible cockpit shadows. I also played pgr4 for the first time the other day and i must say it looks superb, better than gt5 imo which is hard for me to say since i dont own a 360, granted the lighting and shadows, in cockpit view at least did not look as dynamics as gt5p but the environments and the fact that the cockpit was extremely well modelled and lit up brighter than gt5 i think makes it look more photorealistic. However although im a graphics haw i must admit ive realised gameplay>graphics in most situations, taking the bmw f1 around the track in rfactor with my g25 seems light years ahead in terms of realism, at least in terms of feel and feedback.

I don't mean to burst anyone's bubble but as good as Forza 3 screenshots been looking lately, most of them are not gameplay screenshots. If you look hard enough you'll find some real gameplay screen grabs:

fm301.jpg

fm302.jpg

screengrab_480.jpg

Just for the sake of comparison, here's a few of GT5P screen grab:

Detail.jpg

Detail.jpg

Detail.jpg

Detail.jpg

For obvious reason, it's much harer to find FM3 actual gameplay shots that you could GT5P.
Personally, while I do find FM3 environment to look richer than Prologue, the colour more saturated but somehow looking less photorealistic but more "gamey"- in that I mean it's the kind of texture and rendering I would expect to see in an action of FPS games. In Prologue the environment is a bit bland but I find the texture cleaner and what I would expect in a simulation game and a lot more photorealistic. But until I can actually see both these games with my own eye and on my HDTV set at home, it's just a casual observation.

Last edited:
I still think that GT5P is the best looking game and probably GT5 will be better on the graphics than Forza 3.
BTW Did anyone noticed that there are no spectators in the first picture ?

If you look at the R8 pic on FM3 then look at the engine bay on GT5P, you will notice a huge difference in detail. But I almost guarantee FM3 will sound better.

You know when Forza devs say the cars in Forza 3 have 10x the polygons of Forza 2 (making them roughly around 700,000 to 1 million polygons each) as opposed to GT5:Prologue at around 200,000 polys, you'd expect the difference of the cars to look miles apart. But no, something about Forza 3's cars still couldnt hold up against Gran Turismo 5 Prologue. And graphically, Forza 3 may even have trouble toppling GT5 Prologue, let alone the full game. And no offence here, just my opinion.

I still think that GT5P is the best looking game and probably GT5 will be better on the graphics than Forza 3.
BTW Did anyone noticed that there are no spectators in the first picture ?

Yeah - there's no fans because its not a real racetrack. So being non-existant and all, no one knows how to get there. :D

You know when Forza devs say the cars in Forza 3 have 10x the polygons of Forza 2 (making them roughly around 700,000 to 1 million polygons each) as opposed to GT5:Prologue at around 200,000 polys, you'd expect the difference of the cars to look miles apart. But no, something about Forza 3's cars still couldnt hold up against Gran Turismo 5 Prologue. And graphically, Forza 3 may even have trouble toppling GT5 Prologue, let alone the full game. And no offence here, just my opinion.
Don't trust the numbers, just compare the ingame:

oanec6.jpg

And Forza 3 interiors are a joke, only modeled on your car all the rest are at same level as Forza 2, always dark and with no detail.

Whilst I think GT5p is still better looking the two wing mirror pics are not fair comparisons as I am sure the resolution of the FM3 pic is lower.

Well GT5:P and GT5 in the future should be the best looking racing games since its the only thing that GT still does best. They are bypassed in all other features, so i another racing game looks better aswell they wont have anything left.
Ok, not completely right, GT5 will probably still have the most cars of any racing game (if you dont count GT Mobile).

You know what the funniest part is? GT5:P is 18+ months old and the competition is just now catching up.

Well GT5:P and GT5 in the future should be the best looking racing games since its the only thing that GT still does best. They are bypassed in all other features, so i another racing game looks better aswell they wont have anything left.
Ok, not completely right, GT5 will probably still have the most cars of any racing game (if you dont count GT Mobile).

You forgot the physics - probably the best on a console sim. For example, I just saw a fairly good lap of Fuji in the F2007 (youtube), and it was within half a second of the best lap in practice there for the 2007 Grand Prix there (which was a real F2007). No other games get this close as far as I can tell.

definatley right about physics though. Nothing is more rewarding to me then setting a good time with a wheel as opposed to a controller. With forza and there crappy MS wheel i was basically forced to use a controller to be fast IMO. As for GT the logitech wheels any of them are far superior. Only time will tell with FM3 and Fanatec (although pretty pricey) but i think physics will be pretty spot on or it could just end up like Race Pro (Joke of a sim racer).

Also i've seen that video also. Amazing how its almost a mirror image of each other.

Last edited:
Yeah - there's no fans because its not a real racetrack. So being non-existant and all, no one knows how to get there. :D

There's people at HSR, Trial Mountain and all ? I guess they know how to get there. :D

Talking about the other picture comparaison seems like GT5P is years away from Forza 3. That's what you get when you develop your game in less than 2-3 years.

In situations like this I miss a professional web where you can see the games analyzed only in terms of technical data, I mean: in-game resolution, frames, used filters,number of polygons per car ingame and circuit... I know cgsociety.org do something similar, but they are centered more on development process than on the final product.

I say this because is hard to see differences by a video camera movie, and your eyes sometimes can fool you :ouch:

For making good comparisons, I want numbers, statistics! ^_^

Do you know what I mean? Because if it is true that a Prologue car has 200.000 polygons and a Forza 3 more than 700.000, as skingg said before, in my 3D design experience I can say you that the difference must be huge, abysmal. And thats is not what I see... :confused:

You forgot the physics - probably the best on a console sim. For example, I just saw a fairly good lap of Fuji in the F2007 (youtube), and it was within half a second of the best lap in practice there for the 2007 Grand Prix there (which was a real F2007). No other games get this close as far as I can tell.

I find it funny how everyone keeps bringing this up, everyone seems to forget that the f2007 in prologue is producing about 200hp less than the real car, that will equate for a huge difference in lap times, so if both cars are getting the same times now then it's clearly BS.

As for physics rfactor is lightyears ahead, at least with the f1 car.
Also has anyone else noticed how the cars seem to slide sideways on banked corners and slopes in prologue, it's like the cars are on some kind of virtual pivot and the tires aren't really reacting to the ground properly. I just don't get why Kaz does not notice these kinds of things but us gamers do.

At the end of the day this is what pisses me off about gt games, it is constantly delayed and they spend so long trying to perfect it, but why? It is flawed in so many areas just like all games that they might aswell produce more good quality games then trying to perfect things when the hardware is creating limitations. They should produce within the constraints of the hardware instead of trying to squeeze every last graphical bit out and taking forever to produce games, just wait for next hardware then they can add more. Don't get me wrong i appreciate their attention to detail and strive for perfection but the fact is there are a lot of details that go unmissed that us gamers see which would probably go overlooked if polyphony didn't bang on about getting it perfect gt5 isn't perfect, neither will gt6 and onwards be. Just get the damn bloody games out. I mean gt5p is milers better than gt4 graphically, but i bet it was no more difficult to produce, polyphony needs to stop looking for that extra 5% improvement which takes twice as long to acheive. PGR, Forza, Enthusia and many more games are testament to that. Imo rfactor is way more fun than gt5p, i bet many people would not appreciate gt games half as much if they had the same level of graphics as that game. I admire polyphonys work as a technical acheivement but gt5p to me it lacks atmosphere and althogh games like PGR4 etc have worse physics they seem more fun because of there hyper realism, the rumble and judder when the wheels spin, the smoke and burnt rubber, the sounds especially, all add to a greater atmosphere. GT5 will never beat pc sims as a simulation so they should focus on finding a balance, Which is exactly what NFS shift has done.

A 2007 spec F1 car generally had about 750BHP so its about 70 BHP off not 200. Its still not right though.

the only difference is turn 10 is actually gonna release there game. Thats the funny part to me.
That is actually quite funny. In fact they have released 3 games in the time it is taking GT to make 1 game.

All jokes aside I truly believe the GT5 graphics will end up looking better than Forza 3. But F3 will win overall with better physics, all the content, and online multiplayer features. GT5 will have more cars, better graphics, but less content. I would much rather have gameplay over graphics any day.

Both games will be great once they are released and I will buy both. We just know Forza 3 will be out before GT5. I also hope GT5 uses as many of the Forza 3 features as possible because there are a lot of features in the Forza series that the GT series still does not have 5 games later. 4 of those games were not online. Forza had online with its very first game.

Regardless of the number of polygons, in the end, if GT5 keeps the same resolution as GT5P which is at 1280 x 1080 px, it will still be close to 400,000 pixels more than FM3 which happens to be a 720p game (1280x720) although undoubtedly upscaled (which basically streched the pixels but doesn't change'em). Although resolution doesn't guarantee superb graphics (in some cases it may even be limiting), it will at least offer better fidelity on a screen that supports it.

That is actually quite funny. In fact they have released 3 games in the time it is taking GT to make 1 game.

All jokes aside I truly believe the GT5 graphics will end up looking better than Forza 3. But F3 will win overall with better physics, all the content, and online multiplayer features. GT5 will have more cars, better graphics, but less content. I would much rather have gameplay over graphics any day.

Both games will be great once they are released and I will buy both. We just know Forza 3 will be out before GT5. I also hope GT5 uses as many of the Forza 3 features as possible because there are a lot of features in the Forza series that the GT series still does not have 5 games later. 4 of those games were not online. Forza had online with its very first game.

There is something to be said about a game that will actually be released in my lifetime, or atleast before cataracts sets it. ;)

Side note: Just wish it had G25 support.

To be slightly fair to PD in the intervening period they made Tourist Trophy, pretty much finshed GT PSP, made GT5P and apparently are nearly finished GT5 so its not really 3 for 1 ;)

Ok, first of all, quality over quantity of course ;)

Whether the physics is better in one or the other is a matter of opinion really, but as for content....I'm unsure whether F3 will have more than GT5. Surely by GT5 having more cars it already has more content?

As for copying Forza 3, I didn't ever feel GT needed to do this, and they never will, because apparently they don't play other racing games. GT also has its own features that many series didn't have years later, this is why you have a choice and why the consumer always wins. :)

I find it funny how everyone keeps bringing this up, everyone seems to forget that the f2007 in prologue is producing about 200hp less than the real car, that will equate for a huge difference in lap times, so if both cars are getting the same times now then it's clearly BS.

As for physics rfactor is lightyears ahead, at least with the f1 car.
Also has anyone else noticed how the cars seem to slide sideways on banked corners and slopes in prologue, it's like the cars are on some kind of virtual pivot and the tires aren't really reacting to the ground properly. I just don't get why Kaz does not notice these kinds of things but us gamers do.

At the end of the day this is what pisses me off about gt games, it is constantly delayed and they spend so long trying to perfect it, but why? It is flawed in so many areas just like all games that they might aswell produce more good quality games then trying to perfect things when the hardware is creating limitations. They should produce within the constraints of the hardware instead of trying to squeeze every last graphical bit out and taking forever to produce games, just wait for next hardware then they can add more. Don't get me wrong i appreciate their attention to detail and strive for perfection but the fact is there are a lot of details that go unmissed that us gamers see which would probably go overlooked if polyphony didn't bang on about getting it perfect gt5 isn't perfect, neither will gt6 and onwards be. Just get the damn bloody games out. I mean gt5p is milers better than gt4 graphically, but i bet it was no more difficult to produce, polyphony needs to stop looking for that extra 5% improvement which takes twice as long to acheive. PGR, Forza, Enthusia and many more games are testament to that. Imo rfactor is way more fun than gt5p, i bet many people would not appreciate gt games half as much if they had the same level of graphics as that game. I admire polyphonys work as a technical acheivement but gt5p to me it lacks atmosphere and althogh games like PGR4 etc have worse physics they seem more fun because of there hyper realism, the rumble and judder when the wheels spin, the smoke and burnt rubber, the sounds especially, all add to a greater atmosphere. GT5 will never beat pc sims as a simulation so they should focus on finding a balance, Which is exactly what NFS shift has done.

Well, first of all, 200bhp? At least PD try harder to be accurate than you do.

And then onto comments of apparently "gamers notice these things yet Kaz does not". Hmm, so gamers know more about what a car should handle like in a world than a person who has a lot of track experience and owns several of the cars in the game?

And then a big wall of text which is basically a big rant about how you prefer all other games, why care then? Why not just play those other games? Why is it you are so annoyed when apparently these other games do a better job already?
I find it rediculous you keep referring to "us gamers" as if you are part of some group who know everything there is about real-life driving and how all these game developers who in fact hire or personally experience the real thing don't know what they're doing. Seems to me you have an idea about what a driving game should be like and you expect the developer to think exactly the same way and are annoyed they don't meet your expectations.

And if you can't feel the difference in physics from GT4 to GT5P, I'm not so sure you are in a position to say whether they are "wasting their time trying to get the perfect graphics but nothing else".
Oh, and of course games will never be perfect. Perfection is impossible to achieve, its purely an opinion after all. Its merely something to strive for, not to actualy achieve. What one person considers "perfect" another will not. So to say that no GT will ever be perfect is a statement of the obvious, there is always something that can be done better, but you can't blame PD for trying to get close.

Last edited:
Back