Is it likely to get visual and mechanical damage available in career mode in GT7?

• Thread starter MadMax97
  • 23 comments

is it likely for both things?

• Yes

Votes: 21 43.8%
  • No

Votes: 27 56.3%

• Total voters
Mechanical damage. MECHANICAL DAMAGE? Yeah I don't think so.

Last edited:
I'm mostly fine with the mechanical damage model we have in GT Sport, with there being three options: off, light (where it basically regenerates) and heavy (where you need to pit to fix damage). I think that even just having it on the light setting provides a great further incentive not to drive recklessly in the FIAGTC races, and I think all Sport Mode races should have light damage enabled at the least.

Last edited:
They've been talking up amazing damage modelling since at least before GT5 came out, it never materialises for one reason or another. What they did manage in GT5 early builds had to be removed from final builds it was so comically bad.

gt5-bestbuy-damage-round2-3.jpg

I suppose like everything there is always a chance, but it seems slim based on history.

They've been talking up amazing damage modelling since at least before GT5 came out, it never materialises for one reason or another. What they did manage in GT5 early builds had to be removed from final builds it was so comically bad.

I suppose like everything there is always a chance, but it seems slim based on history.

If they put toggable damage for career mode for me is already enough. Just to not have only tire wear and nothing else in career mode.

GT5's physics-based procedural damage system was actually pretty impressive, more so than any other sim at the time with these types of licensed cars. You would never end up with the same pre-modeled damage parts like in other titles. It only looked comical when taken to the extreme due to collision colliders being expensive to compute so you would end up with a lot of body parts clipping through each other. This damage system should have been refined for future GT titles instead of just outright removing it.

Last edited:
GT5's damage model is so weird. Some cars had that degeneration/deformative model (shown above) and others had the typical 'parts fall off the car' type of damage model that you see in other racers. I remember the standards' damage having some bizarre bent look.

Now we're with Sport's lazy Need For Speed PS2 "scratched up" damage model.

Last edited:
GT5's damage model is so weird. Some cars had that degeneration/deformative model (shown above) and others had the typical 'parts fall off the car' type of damage model that you see in other racers. I remember the standards' damage having some bizarre bent look.

Now we're with Sport's lazy Need For Speed PS2 "scratched up" damage model.
I believe only the rally cars had more extensive damage with parts falling off.

GT5 still has the best damage we've seen in a GT game too.
granturismo5_16ydjte.png

The funny thing with GTSport (referred to as Gran Turismo 7 at the time) is that Kaz talked about it in 2015 having improved crash/damage physics and then nothing came of it. GTSport has a super basic suspension/engine mechanical damage that they don't even use in the FIA championships, and the visual damage is just a texture swap with no actual deformation that was seen in GT5.

2015: https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-7-to-see-improved-crash-damage-physics-coming-before-2017/

“Yamauchi has guaranteed that the seventh chapter will solve many problems related to the physical impacts and simulation of damage, two aspects that have always been taken seriously by fans of this saga. It also confirms a greater number of premium cars in Gran Turismo 7, although – for the moment – Yamauchi-san has preferred not to say too much about figures.

“Finally, when asked about the alleged arrival of Gran Turismo 7 in 2017, as initially feared by some sources, it came a blunt denial: “People will never wait so much.”

Last edited:
“Yamauchi has guaranteed that the seventh chapter will solve many problems related to the physical impacts and simulation of damage, two aspects that have always been taken seriously by fans of this saga. It also confirms a greater number of premium cars in Gran Turismo 7, although – for the moment – Yamauchi-san has preferred not to say too much about figures."
funny reading this knowing how bad is contact physics in gt sport, maybe reading interviews with Kaz is just waste of time ;d

tbh, I would prefer at the very least they focus on contact physics over damage model if they have to pick one. Gran Turismo's contact physics are best described as feeling like two 1/16 diecast models bouncing off eachother, that are both being pulled around by an imaginary string attached to the front bumpers.

You would think Polyphony would have wanted to fix this during the time period of GT Sport's peak and competitive play, but I guess they don't want dirty drivers to be able to perform pit maneuvers whenever they want to. Maybe it should be a track configuration setting like 'Wet Track/Track Edge grip' is.

Last edited:
Kaz likes to blow a lot of hot air around when it comes to these things. When will he act on it?

LoL looks like it's melting.

GT5's physics-based procedural damage system was actually pretty impressive, more so than any other sim at the time with these types of licensed cars. You would never end up with the same pre-modeled damage parts like in other titles. It only looked comical when taken to the extreme due to collision colliders being expensive to compute so you would end up with a lot of body parts clipping through each other. This damage system should have been refined for future GT titles instead of just outright removing it.

The procedural aspect was good, the problem was that it seemingly completely ignored materials properties so everything, whether plastic, steel, carbon fibre, fibreglass, it all just deformed in the same way. If they could get things to break or shatter when they should instead, it'd be ok.

The pre-build was bad but even the final game was still like this, as your McLaren image shows. That plastic grille should have broken/snapped. Plastic doesn't warp on impacts.

Last edited:
The procedural aspect was good, the problem was that it seemingly completely ignored materials properties so everything, whether plastic, steel, carbon fibre, fibreglass, it all just deformed in the same way. If they could get things to break or shatter when they should instead, it'd be ok.

The pre-build was bad but even the final game was still like this, as your McLaren image shows. That plastic grille should have broken/snapped. Plastic doesn't warp on impacts.
Even a basically crash simulator like Beam NG it is not perfect in this aspect , you can't expect that from a racing game that hasn't the priority on the damage system

Even a basically crash simulator like Beam NG it is not perfect in this aspect , you can't expect that from a racing game that hasn't the priority on the damage system
Nobody expects perfection, but there is a huge gap between what they were doing in GT5 dev and perfection.

To be clear though, other racing games don't really do it that well either. For instance I'll still never get why so many games give you a cracked/broken windscreen from a simple head on impact. The F1 games are pretty decent but they're a lot easier with less car to damage.

Nobody expects perfection, but there is a huge gap between what they were doing in GT5 dev and perfection.

To be clear though, other racing games don't really do it that well either. For instance I'll still never get why so many games give you a cracked/broken windscreen from a simple head on impact. The F1 games are pretty decent but they're a lot easier with less car to damage.
Yeah surely they can improve a lot the damage system that they have, but i don't expect to have something super detailed and in depth (it would be nice to have but i don't think PD will ever do that unfortunately)

Yeah surely they can improve a lot the damage system that they have, but i don't expect to have something super detailed and in depth (it would be nice to have but i don't think PD will ever do that unfortunately)
as long as it's a bit improved from gt sport and available to be toggled on in career mode, I'm fine

Back