Jurassic World - General DiscussionMovies 

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 126 comments
https://twitter.com/JurassicPark/status/596458128683630592

So, this new TV trailer shows a few small hints of new things. One thing I hadn't noticed until now (possible spoiler):

There are small chips on the raptor pack's heads. Have those been there this entire time and I just didn't notice? It's also on there when it attacks the man in the ambulance, so I'm very curious about what its purpose is.

https://twitter.com/JurassicPark/status/596458128683630592

So, this new TV trailer shows a few small hints of new things. One thing I hadn't noticed until now (possible spoiler):

There are small chips on the raptor pack's heads. Have those been there this entire time and I just didn't notice? It's also on there when it attacks the man in the ambulance, so I'm very curious about what its purpose is.

"tracking and controlling or subdueing the dinosaurs? more effective than lysine?"

My expectations might be extremely low, but none the less, I've just ordered tickets for the midnight premier in Denmark.

Most of the reviews I've read have been kind of... stupid, though. The consistent thread seems to be "man, screw those original sequels. Glad that this movie ignored them", then go on to praise this film for mangling the original movie just as much as they did.

So after seeing the midnight premiere. It's not as bad as I had feared, but not as good as I had hoped either.

I'll start out with things I liked or outright loved.

I liked the introduction of the park in general. The JP gate was a nice throwback to the original movie, and the island itself looks gorgous, with a bunch of establishing shots. We're introduced to the Raptors fairly early on, and immidiately, one of my biggest concerns with the movie is addressed. I was really worried the Raptors were going to be less threatening in this movie, do to them being trained and such, but the movie actually pulls it off nicely. Explaining how they've been trained from birth, and how they clearly still show a lot of aggressive and strong willed behavior. I thought they are were genuinley terrifying in that first scene. Pratt did nicely in the first scene, and maintains good screen presence throughout the movie.

The hybrid dinosaurer, known as the Indominus Rex, is also introduced quite early, and while I'm still not very fond of the idea that a hybrid was needed, the movie does at least give an adequate explanation for its existance. It also looks pretty neat, although the head is perhaps a bit too similiar to the Spino in JP3. Furthermore, I quite liked the various features it had, such as the ability to camouflage. This too was explained fairly well.

The breakout scene itself is okay, although I had problems with two things in particular.

First off, how could this thing possibly construct such an elaborate escape plan? Scratching the wall to make it look like it climbed over it, while the camouflage it's IR signature, is just plain silly. I don't buy it for even a second. I also find it hard to believe that Pratt and the gang would't have questioned how no one saw or heard a massive dino climbing over the wall, and falling down on the other side, considering this place was seeminly undergoing continued construction, and I assume they'd have guards standing by as well, given the ongoing work, and the fact that they were dealing with something completely new.

Its rampage throughout the island is quite well done however, and I like the idea of it figuring out its place in the foodchain. The encounter between the Indominus and the first security team, is pretty awesome, even if I question the idea of not bringing perhaps a 50/50 ratio of lethal/non-lethal weapons.

I absolutely loved the kids and their super nostalgic moment at the old park's visitor center. The Jeep Wrangler has a very nice cameo, even if I'm a bit sad its screen time is so limited. Would've loved a chase scene with it.

Once everyone get back to the park, the movie starts falling apart for me...

The flying dinos and their attack on the visitors was super generic, and even worse is that after a while, the flying dinos simply disappear. Seriously? You have 'em being a massive threat for a little while, and then the screenwriters just forgot about them? Where the hell did they go? The scene with the assistant seemed completely forced, but hey, who gives a damn anyway, right? It's not like we get to know her at all...

And that's another major problem in the movie. In the original, 5 people die, 1 of which is off screen. Every death was memorable, and had at least some degree of investment from the viewer. In Jurassic World, you don't give a damn about anyone who dies. The various security guys, be they from InGen or park secuirty, have zero personality, and just serve as dino fodder. Same goes for the park visitors and the assistant. None of them receive any character development, so why should we care? You could argue that the first person to die in the original also didn't receive any character building, but his scene was detailed and long enough for us to care about his survival. In JW, everyone dies so damn quick, that it's hard to give a damn.

And did this movie really need a genuine cartoonish villain? I don't remember his name, but every time he opened his mouth, I wanted someone to hit him. Such a frustraiting character, who's only purpose in the movie is to set up the next one, and to be a dick.

You'd also think that the fact that almost 20.000 visitors were on the island, would factor into the endgame. But no. After the attack of the flying dinos, they are barely ever seen or heard from again. They're left to chill inside the visitor center, leaving our protagonists to fight it out, alongside pointless InGen dino fodder. What a waste...

Then comes the showdown between Pratt, his Raptors, and the Indomines. At first, I actually thought it was a cool plots twist that the Indomines was part Raptor, and as such, was percieved as the Alpha. But this was the followed by an incomprehensible and short battle between InGen personnal, and the Raptors. Gotta save on that effects budget, and make such the rating stays at PG13, I guess... Who cares if it hurts the quality of the movie...

The final fight between the Indomines, and the Raptor/T-Rex was such complete bull, I don't even know how to describe it. It was halfasses, the CGI wasn't that good, and ultimately, the Indomines suddenly didn't seem like such a huge threat.

Ultimately, the pratical effects in the original, were better than the CGI in JW.
The character deaths mattered in the original, and don't in JW.
Aside from that first scene with the Raptors, the dinosaurs were far more menacing in the orignal, than they are in Jurassic World.

I will probably pick it up on Blu-Ray once it releases, but I do think they could have done a lot better than they did.

Last edited:
Watched it last night at the 7:00pm showing and I absolutely LOVED it!!! I went in with medium expectations. As a huge Jurassic park fan this movie did not disappoint me at all. I will buy the 3d bly ray of this the day it comes out for sure. 👍

My only minor complaint was in the beginning with the excessive focus on Zach's character being overly flirtatious and overly attractive to other females. It never tied into the story at all and was not necessary. Luckily it was only a few times early on and then they moved away from that focus.

Other than that minor complaint in the beginning, it was an absolutely excellent movie. I really liked the throwbacks to some parts and areas from the previous JP movies. At times very intense. I think Chris Pratt did an excellent job in this too. Plenty of humor to help ease the tension.

Special effects, environment, and just how vast the movie felt did not disappoint. I really felt immersive and small in the world they created. The first introduction to the enormous water dinosaur was quite epic too. Especially how the entire area was able to lower down and view it up close. Reminded me of my visit to Sea World. The end battle was absolutely epic IMO. Just loved the movie. Also GO BLUE!!!!! :)

Last edited:
Probably the only thing saving this from being an absolute disaster was:
The idea that Indominus Rex was created to satisfy the demand to be bigger, bolder and badder for the sake of keeping the attractions fresh and the crowds up, only for it to spiral out of control - it's exactly the sort of thing that Michael Crichton would have written.

Watched it last night & a 2nd time today. I felt the end was a bit cheesy, but anyone who had seen the 3rd & the backlash it received for the Rex to go down could tell how the end would play out. So, ignoring that, I enjoyed it the 2nd time a lot more.

Because of this & the fact it parallels whilst paying small tribute at the same time to the first movie (which is why I think it's doing so well), I'm not going to attempt to pick apart the dinosaur logic or the CGI. The CGI in the Jurassic Park franchise will always be up for scrutiny because JP1 just absolutely set the bar by not using CGI, and overcame a lot of tough odds to pull it off.
Watched it last night at the 7:00pm showing and I absolutely LOVED it!!! I went in with medium expectations. As a huge Jurassic park fan this movie did not disappoint me at all. I will buy the 3d bly ray of this the day it comes out for sure. 👍

My only minor complaint was in the beginning with the excessive focus on Zach's character being overly flirtatious and overly attractive to other females. It never tied into the story at all and was not necessary. Luckily it was only a few times early on and then they moved away from that focus.

Other than that minor complaint in the beginning, it was an absolutely excellent movie. I really liked the throwbacks to some parts and areas from the previous JP movies. At times very intense. I think Chris Pratt did an excellent job in this too. Plenty of humor to help ease the tension.

Special effects, environment, and just how vast the movie felt did not disappoint. I really felt immersive and small in the world they created. The first introduction to the enormous water dinosaur was quite epic too. Especially how the entire area was able to lower down and view it up close. Reminded me of my visit to Sea World. The end battle was absolutely epic IMO. Just loved the movie. Also GO BLUE!!!!! :)
Agreed on the first paragraph. Same with the divorce. They brought it up & then never mentioned it again. The parents really made no hint at, either.

Other than that, it seems like the entire breach could have been avoided if they had checked its tracking beacon immediately after being unable to pick up its thermo. instead of Claire running off crying the dinosaur is out.

Probably the only thing saving this from being an absolute disaster was:
The idea that Indominus Rex was created to satisfy the demand to be bigger, bolder and badder for the sake of keeping the attractions fresh and the crowds up, only for it to spiral out of control - it's exactly the sort of thing that Michael Crichton would have written.
Was basically sort of a subplot in the original book already, until Wu got offed.

I saw this on Friday and quite enjoyed it.

However, it suffers from one issue that all the sequels have suffered: No awesome dinosaur reveal.

Just remember, in JP they are riding the jeeps in, Dr. Sattler is trying to figure out how the leaf of an extinct plant existed (actually creating a plot hole, but it was forgotten immediately), when the jeeps stop and Dr. Grant stands up and takes off his sun glasses, Dr. Malcolm is right behind him, and then Dr. Grant grabs Ellie's head and turns it, where we then hear a loud noise, and the point of view adjust to look from behind them. And then we see this:

We see the dinosaurs with the main characters. The entire story sounds just as crazy to us until that moment. That scene, that shot, made me fall in love with movies. I was 14-years-old and home on a 24 hour pass from the physical rehabilitation center after my second surgery, and I went to see this with all my friends. I viewed movies differently from that moment on.

In the second film Dr. Malcolm even makes a comment about how it starts with oohs and awes, but then there is the running and the screaming.

In Jurassic World:
We have forgotten the oohs and awes. The first dinosaur we see on camera (if memory serves correctly) is in a petting zoo. By that point we have already heard them talking about creating a new dinosaur that is bigger, faster, and has more teeth. After that you just wait for the bad to start. The only attempt at ooh and awe is a giant oceanic dinosaur that eats a great white shark. That's just more of the bigger and more teeth.

Now, why do we need the ooh and awe of the non-threatening dinosaurs? To be reminded of why anyone would try this again. The magic of viewing these great creatures is amazing. People will be swept up in the siren song of these majestic creatures and not see the dangers right in front of them. Instead we jumped straight into 'you got to make it seem dangerous,' and even had them get upset at Jake Johnson's character wearing a vintage Jurassic Park shirt.

Doing that makes it seem as if they just stared at the money and ignored everything else. At least John Hammond acted like a kid in a candy store. He was caught in the majesty of it. To him Dr. Malcolm was being no fun. He loved seeing a child's eyes light up.

As for the ending of the movie:

It's a boy and his raptor.

Seriously, as soon as Blue came running around the corner after its bark honk I started laughing. That felt so utterly cheesy. Blue should have just charged in, all vicious and out for blood, but we had to pull a scene straight from Lassie.

Then to add to this was the scene of the T-Rex climbing on top of the helipad and looking out over the park. "Look, Simba. Everything the light touches is our kingdom."

Those are my biggest issues, but overall it was fun, didn't feel forced the way the other two did, where they had to contrive some reason why these people wanted to go hang out in a dangerous place, and how things went bad because of some melodramatic nonsense.

In Jurassic World
I think that ties in with the idea of indominus rex being bigger, badder and better than anything anyone had ever seen before - what should be a spectacle isn't a spectacle anymore. What was a miracle of science is now something we are indifferent to; hence the perceived need for indominus rex.

I think that ties in with the idea of indominus rex being bigger, badder and better than anything anyone had ever seen before - what should be a spectacle isn't a spectacle anymore. What was a miracle of science is now something we are indifferent to; hence the perceived need for indominus rex.
I also think it says a lot about the writers though.

The only way you can awe me with giant dinosaurs is to make one up? That's the ultimate crux of this, is that their attempt to impress us was basically dinosaur fan fiction. "I know! What if a T-Rex and a Velociraptor had a baby?" "That would never work. We can't explain that using the established genetic science in the story." "Genetic science. That's it. They filled in DNA gaps with other creatures. Lets splice them together. It's a GMO dinosaur!"

A good filmmaker can make his audience have an emotional response. I see puppies and kittens every day. They are still cute as hell and make me say, "Awe." I've seen a million deaths on screen, but every now and then one makes me feel very sad for the fictional characters involved.

I see some reviews already. Just wondering is it honestly worth the money to everyone that went? I'm thinking about seeing it, just wondering if it's worth the money.

I see some reviews already. Just wondering is it honestly worth the money to everyone that went? I'm thinking about seeing it, just wondering if it's worth the money.
Try and go during the day when ticket prices are slightly cheaper.

I just got back from seeing it and I will just say that if the first 3 movies had never existed and this was the first JP movie, it would be pretty good. But knowing what I know about the first 3 movies, this one just doesn't fit well into the story line. I mean, who in their right mind would build this park after having multiple incidents in the past? I thought a lot of it was over the top, and although it was enjoyable and entertaining, I'm just going to give it an OK rating.

I mean, who in their right mind would build this park after having multiple incidents in the past?
That's the point - the assumption that we can not simply control, but master our environment to the point where it overrides every other stimuli.

Try and go during the day when ticket prices are slightly cheaper.

I just got back from seeing it and I will just say that if the first 3 movies had never existed and this was the first JP movie, it would be pretty good. But knowing what I know about the first 3 movies, this one just doesn't fit well into the story line. I mean, who in their right mind would build this park after having multiple incidents in the past? I thought a lot of it was over the top, and although it was enjoyable and entertaining, I'm just going to give it an OK rating.
It ignores the two sequels' existence. They are never referenced in any way.

well, this film is similar to Mad Max Fury Road in terms of continuity then.
Possibly. There is also the possibility that the public never knew about the second and third incidents. Neither visit was publicly known or part of a large corporate investment that the market watchers would know about.

Possibly. There is also the possibility that the public never knew about the second and third incidents. Neither visit was publicly known or part of a large corporate investment that the market watchers would know about.

The 2nd incident ended in a T-Rex walking about in San Diego, and the 3rd movie had the US Navy and Marines involved. I'm pretty sure the general public got word about what happened ;)

The 2nd incident ended in a T-Rex walking about in San Diego, and the 3rd movie had the US Navy and Marines involved. I'm pretty sure the general public got word about what happened ;)
I totally forgot about the T-Rex in San Diego.

As for the military involvement; the military does things all the time that no one knows about. I remembered it, but didn't feel it definitely meant public knowledge.

So, it goes back to this film just ignoring the other two sequels. Although, I think a smart investor and entrepreneur could argue the case to try to build the park:

Incident 1: Corporate Sabotage
Incident 2: Trespassing
Incident 3: Trespassing

Yeah, I don't see a reason why at least The Lost World shouldn't be considered canon in Jurassic World. Aside from the Spino, there really is nothing about JP3 that could extend into Jurassic World.

Yeah, I don't see a reason why at least The Lost World shouldn't be considered canon in Jurassic World. Aside from the Spino, there really is nothing about JP3 that could extend into Jurassic World.
Well some of the flying dino's (excuse me for not knowing their name) got out of their cage. Who knows where they ended up.

Well some of the flying dino's (excuse me for not knowing their name) got out of their cage. Who knows where they ended up.
I'd like to believe that they would have trouble finding lysine to supplement their diets in an all new ecosystem.

Back