Kaz: Pushing the Virtual Divide

• Thread starter sokira
  • 436 comments
Of course having not seen it you are in a much better position to state that than someone who has seen it.

Don't get me wrong, you may well be right (for yourself), but I'm sure you understand why I would value the opinion of someone who has actually seen it.
Mr Greer stated "No doubt, every GT fan needs to see this"; obviously his opinion is far from neutral as he has participated in, and contributed to, the production of the movie.
My experience of the GT series, and in particular its maker's recent lack of integrity and focus, induces me to believe the so called movie (though appearing very glossy and pseudo highbrow) will be little more than an attempt to reinforce the product's market position amongst a new generation.

I know, but shouldn't there be at least a trailer there?

That's what the trailers released on wider-reaching outlets (like Youtube) are for :)

And for those wondering about future release details (from here):

Ken Chan
There’s more info to come on a wider release. For 1/22, anyone can watch the film through Hulu, regardless if you’re a Plus member or not

Yeah, but considering its only releasing on Hulu, there should at least be some advertising on Hulu. It seems a bit....fishy :P

Yeah, but considering its only releasing on Hulu, there should at least be some advertising on Hulu. It seems a bit....fishy :P

It's only premiering on Hulu. I imagine once the details for the outlets are ironed out, there will be another advertisement push. Then again, I don't expect Sony to go crazy with it; this is very much a niche appeal product.

Mr Greer stated "No doubt, every GT fan needs to see this"; obviously his opinion is far from neutral as he has participated in, and contributed to, the production of the movie.
A point which he has made no attempt to conceal.

My experience of the GT series, and in particular its maker's recent lack of integrity and focus, induces me to believe the so called movie (though appearing very glossy and pseudo highbrow) will be little more than an attempt to reinforce the product's market position amongst a new generation.
Which doesn't change the point that you are pre-judging it based on very little knowledge, a bias no better than the one you are levelling at others.

Will the movie show us middle management 'overworked', the visits to their doctors, the pressures of modern Japanese life?
Will the movie show us the original motivations for Mr Kaz's foray into games and the creative sacrifices and compromises?
Will the movie show the frustrations of the devoted fanbase who only expect steady and modest improvements in line with the developments of technology and who are subsequently instead taken for granted and taken advantage of as Gran Turismo becomes an exercise in cashback?

Will the movie be a pointless and worthless exercise in self justification and personality culture?

Enough to base the movie on?
It appears that you are (mis)directing your anger towards Kazunori and the Gran Turismo series onto my opinion of this documentary. Just because the film doesn't fit into the critical narrative that you would prefer does not mean that a fan of the Gran Turismo series wouldn't enjoy watching it, which is what I stated.

I'm not sure why you would expect "KAZ" to be a critique or exposé on Japanese business culture, or why you would expect a documentary commissioned by Sony to focus on the negative reactions and frustrations of the "fanbase". It's fairly obvious from the trailers and official description that "KAZ" is about the history of Gran Turismo, Kazunori Yamauchi, and how/why they have influenced the automotive and video gaming industries, and I think it does a fine job of that.

Last edited:
a fan of the Gran Turismo series would enjoy watching it, is what I stated.
You actually said 'every fan' (implying all) not 'a fan' (implying one).

Truth be said, I probably do not qualify as a fan of the series, and I will freely admit that I am a cynic by the most Wildean of definitions, however, this 'movie' would have been more appropriately presented between the releases of GT3 and GT4.
The movie is titled KAZ, therefore, why would I not be expected to direct my antipathy directly towards him and his responsibilty for the dwindling overall standards of the franchise?
You Mr Greer, et al, should quit pandering to his personality and sense of respect and remind him that more people, on these forums at least, have more generally negative than positive sentiments towards the Gran Turismo since GT5 and this has continued with GT6. This movie, even as a trumped up advert, is irrelevant - make the games better.

You actually said 'every fan' (implying all) not 'a fan' (implying one).

Truth be said, I probably do not qualify as a fan of the series, and I will freely admit that I am a cynic by the most Wildean of definitions, however, this 'movie' would have been more appropriately presented between the releases of GT3 and GT4.
The movie is titled KAZ, therefore, why would I not be expected to direct my antipathy directly towards him and his responsibilty for the dwindling overall standards of the franchise?
You Mr Greer, et al, should quit pandering to his personality and sense of respect and remind him that more people, on these forums at least, have more generally negative than positive sentiments towards the Gran Turismo since GT5 and this has continued with GT6. This movie, even as a trumped up advert, is irrelevant - make the games better.
I think it is more appropriate they are releasing one now, "Pushing the Virtual Divide" part of title has more meaning now due to the great partnerships they have achieved after GT4 and accomplishments.

I doubt PDI including Kaz and Sony will decide to make a documentary that publicly humiliates the president of PDI who is also a senior vice president of SCEI and their most successful first party franchise. What the current documentary is about seems very logical given how the GT series has affected the real world. I was looking forward to the "Edge Effect" the most since GT6 was announced so will be exciting to see this documentary. It will interesting to hear from other PDI employees, I wonder if the guy who works on GPS stuff in the game will feature in it.

It appears that you are (mis)directing your anger towards Kazunori and the Gran Turismo series onto my opinion of this documentary. Just because the film doesn't fit into the critical narrative that you would prefer does not mean that a fan of the Gran Turismo series wouldn't enjoy watching it, which is what I stated.

I'm not sure why you would expect "KAZ" to be a critique or exposé on Japanese business culture, or why you would expect a documentary commissioned by Sony to focus on the negative reactions and frustrations of the "fanbase". It's fairly obvious from the trailers and official description that "KAZ" is about the history of Gran Turismo, Kazunori Yamauchi, and how/why they have influenced the automotive and video gaming industries, and I think it does a fine job of that.

Just make sure when you win that Oscar, you let Leo Di Caprio know about it. :P

But it hasn't really, has it?
As far as the world of Motorsport goes, yes it has.

The GTA programme is acknowledged quite widely as being both effective and innovative, in the Autosport magazine Christmas edition one of the editorials discussed how good the programme was at bringing people who otherwise would never have a chance to get involved in Motorsport at a higher level into the sport.

To the degree that it won the Pioneering and Innovation Award at last years Autosport award show.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111681

For a manufacturers view its had quite a significant effect on how new vehicles can be marketed and promoted (both production and concepts), from as far back as the BMW 1-series launch which had pre GT4 pods in dealerships and demo discs being used alongside demo drives (which I experienced first hand and still have the demo) right through to Toyota this week.

These are most certainly real world effects born from GT.

Last edited:
As far as the world of Motorsport goes, yes it has.

The GTA programme is acknowledged quite widely as being both effective and innovative, in the Autosport magazine Christmas edition one of the editorials discussed how good the programme was at bringing people who otherwise would never have a chance to get involved in Motorsport at a higher level into the sport.

That is most certainly a real world affect that has been born from GT.
Calling motorsport 'realworld' is a contradiction, however, I will endeavour to shut up now - I genuinely failed to appreciate, until relatively recently, how many GTPlanet users were also car and racing enthusiasts (not being something I really share beyond casual interest, which in itself inevitably leads to abject and contemptuous criticism) in addition to being Gran Turismo players.

If it wasn't for Kaz I wouldn't of had some of the best racing experiences since, I first played GT on Playstation thanks Kazunori Yamauchi for the GT games.:bowdown: I've had a blast all these years no other racing franchise has given me this joy. :P I'm looking forward to watching this movie:dopey:

Calling motorsport 'realworld' is a contradiction, however, I will endeavour to shut up now - I genuinely failed to appreciate, until relatively recently, how many GTPlanet users were also car and racing enthusiasts (not being something I really share beyond casual interest, which in itself inevitably leads to abject and contemptuous criticism) in addition to being Gran Turismo players.
Motorsport is not part of the realworld?

Given that in the UK alone its worth £9 billion pounds to the economy that statement is quite frankly absurd.

You may however have missed my edit in regard to the motor industry in general, which again has felt the effect of GT, and between them they are most certainly a part of the real world, one that from my own life have paid my wages for over two decades.

Motorsport is not part of the realworld?

Given that in the UK alone its worth £9 billion pounds to the economy that statement is quite frankly absurd.
Motorsport is a fantasy world, it isn't real. Worth to economy? Perhaps you meant waste of resources. Don't get me started.

Motorsport is a fantasy world, it isn't real. Worth to economy? Perhaps you meant waste of resources. Don't get me started.
Oh please do.

Now aside from the hyperbole in your post, remove £9 billion from any economy and its going to have problems.

Feel free to ignore that if you wish, the motor industry as a larger body is one you certainly can't; and neither is part of some assumed fantasy world.

Today I learned I didn't go to Le Mans last year - and no-one died.
Yep and at various points in the last twenty years I wasn't paid, people I hired didn't exist and work I carried out didn't happen at places that don't exist.

I love the irony of claiming that Motorsport is a fantasy world that doesn't exist on a forum about a video game.

However perhaps not as ironic as this.

Last edited:
Doesn't cost much to contribute here though, does it?
Well that went over your head.

£9billion wasted, so sad.
Yep, because keeping people employed and an economy functioning is a total waste, not to mention the developments from Motorsport that have carried on down into road cars.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/under...ations/top-10-car-tech-from-racing.htm#page=0

Speaking of which I notice you have ignored the impact GT has on manufacturers of road cars, or that only in Dec you were quite happy to consider funding this waste of resources.

None of which matters because regardless of your opinion on the validity of Motorsport, that doesn't stop GT as a series having a real world impact on both Motorsport and the Motor Industry.

Interesting? No. Hypocritical? Yes.

Last edited:
I've just had a chance to see the film, and I really, really enjoyed it. :)
Possible spoiler: Does it show Kaz in his earlier days when he crashed his Skyline?

Spoil it for me, I want to know! I can't watch because I'm not American, lol :(

Today I learned I didn't go to Le Mans last year - and no-one died.
It is all Simulated reality, don't you know we live in The Matrix. Talking about a simulation of a simulation does not affect the real world so the documentary should be about potentially this: Link or the fight against the machines if you know we live in a dream world :lol:.

Interesting? No. Hypocritical? Yes.
We're you conciously trying to make an objective discussion personal?
What you think has nothing to do with it, so don't be presumptuous.
I have an interest in offroad rally training to improve my driving ability, understanding, and skill in the realworld.

I suppose you think theatre, literature, and music are more than just fantasy?
Motorsport is conducted in controlled environments in highly regulated conditions, it is abstract from the realworld.

The world can and will survive without motorsport, indeed, the world will be a better place without it - it is a plague, a cancerous parasite.
Most people in the world would scarecely notice nevermind care if all of motorsport ceased to exist, and sorry for all of you working in the motorsport industry but your contribution to society is a measurably negative factor rather than positive.

Since the moderators here do not respect the idea of a seperation of powers and find it appropriate to trawl a user's posts to find material for use in personal arguements, I hereby end my association with GTPlanet.

Car is tool, not toy.

You're perfectly welcome to do that, but it still has no relevance to my opinion that a fan of the Gran Turismo series would enjoy watching this documentary.

And now, we get to the heart of the issue - you're afraid that a positive celebration of Kazunori and the Gran Turismo series will prevent the changes you'd like to see in the games.

The problem with that perspective is that it's rooted in egocentrism: "I don't like it, and you're not going to like it, either!" (This works in both directions, by the way.) It's not a constructive way to debate the merits or problems of something, and will typically only produce an argument - although the cynic in me suspects that's often the only intended outcome...

Regardless of what you think about Kazunori or the Gran Turismo series, he was the first person to overcome the mountain of technical, political, legal, logistical, and marketing challenges which stand in the way of producing a driving simulator, and he was the first to do it it in a way that generated wide, mass-market appeal. Meanwhile, he's created thousands of jobs for people (including all of the competing development shops and accessory manufacturers who are working on products in a niche legitimized by Gran Turismo), influenced the automotive and video gaming industries in a significant and positive way, and has provided countless hours of enjoyment and entertainment for tens of millions of people who have played his games. Whether you like it or not, that's something I will continue to celebrate and respect.

Back