Kevin Ward

• Thread starter GTPorsche
  • 610 comments
Amazing that some are still talking about Tony supposedly trying to intimidate the kid, after all the times that has been debunked (based on explanations of how Sprint cars work and how merely turning the wheel does very little but getting on the throttle is how they turn). The video is taken from the opposite side of the track and in all the times I watched and listened carefully, I didn't see how people could definitively blame Tony's car as having a sudden mash of throttle. But even assuming it did, he would have been TRYING TO TURN AWAY from Ward. The problem is, Sprint car. As you turn, your car gets wider (sideways). And here comes that HUGE right rear tire.

Most of what I read from the family at the time of the accident admitted they didn't actually see what happened. Or watch the video. My heart goes out to them, but part of grieving is accepting the truth of what took place. Maybe they'd have a case if Ward had stayed right by his car, but he's the one who angrily ran down into the racing line and almost got run over by another car as well. While impaired by THC.

My feeling is if you use drugs, and you race, you probably have certain coping mechanisms so you can still race in a high-functioning way. But you are still racing, so even small lapses in judgment can have big consequences. And believe me, race rage is more than capable of overcoming even a drug that would normally keep you calm. The drug just might impair the part of your brain that would whisper "hey man, cool down, don't make this any worse than it already is"... He might be able to race more or less well enough so we don't suspect, but it still doesn't help once he is on foot and suddenly realizing he has run right into harm's way.

Back on the toxicology report. Yes, the Grand Jury would have seen the full report, and yes, Tantillo had disclosed that he had marijuana in his system, but what if the DA wasn't disclosing the full report because they knew that he had more drugs in his system than just the pot?

That's pure speculation, not needed now. A kid tragically died most probably because of his own doing. His parents are understandably in denial and trying to find someone to blame other than their own beloved son. I've seen this many times in traffic accidents, people have a lot of trouble to accept both a devastating loss AND that the "lost loved one" is the one to blame. So they blame the other(s) involved and listen to no reason. Very sad.

Just read about everything, a lot to take in. I'm just hoping that family's state of denial doesn't push them to take more dangerous action.

"I was gonna drive my car, then I got high...."
I don't think Afroman ever said anything about getting in the car anyway.

"Now I'm a paraplegic, and I know why-yyyy". I think he drove.

As @Pupik says the level of marijuana may not have been enough to distort Ward's thought at that point but its presence pretty much scuppers any chance of a legal comeback from Ward's family.

Watching the video again I still don't see a "twitch" in the car until the point where I believe Stewart's rear tyre "pulls" on Ward. Very sad altogether but time to draw a line under it all :(

Last edited:
The Ward family clearly isn't familiar with the concept of forgiveness. Ward's aunt just released a statement which sounds like she knows nothing about motor racing. They seem to be dogged on Stewart being punished, and are refusing to accept that it was an accident. Tony clearly feels horrible about what happened; he spent three weeks in isolation at home grieving and praying for Ward's family, yet they still want his head on a plate. The investigation was completed and found there was no evidence that Stewart did it on purpose. It's not like OJ or Casey Anthony where there was a bad trial; there was no trial. It was an accident. They need to stop acting like idiots; I can't imagine what Tony feels when the family is still giving him crap.

The Ward family clearly isn't familiar with the concept of forgiveness. Ward's aunt just released a statement which sounds like she knows nothing about motor racing. They seem to be dogged on Stewart being punished, and are refusing to accept that it was an accident. Tony clearly feels horrible about what happened; he spent three weeks in isolation at home grieving and praying for Ward's family, yet they still want his head on a plate. The investigation was completed and found there was no evidence that Stewart did it on purpose. It's not like OJ or Casey Anthony where there was a bad trial; there was no trial. It was an accident. They need to stop acting like idiots; I can't imagine what Tony feels when the family is still giving him crap.

Link please, hadn't seen that.

A very elderly neighbour said something interesting to me the other night; he mentioned the case (I was amazed, he's old and rich and so I'd always presumed he'd be into golf or polo), he said he'd seen that Stewart wasn't going to be charged and he thought it was right. Then he said "I suppose oval racing is the only time you come across the scene of your own accident". Slightly erroneous but I'm hoping to learn golf somewhere nice, so yeah...

I'm assuming that this would be the link.

I genuinely didn't see that in his post - sorry! And thank you :D

Wendi Ward
Why was the toxicology report even an issue? Seems to me the wrong man was on trial. Tell me why Tony Stewart was not taken in for testing, why his car wasn't impounded. Tell me how a man the size of Kevin can make a sprint car turn to the right on impact. Tell me how a lap before (the incident) everything was fine, but the following lap was poor lighting. Tell me how a NASCAR star totally forgot what caution means.

Was Tony Stewart tested? I presumed that he was. On the previous lap the lighting was sufficient to see the location of a significantly sized metal-and-paint racecar in one's line. On the next lap it was insufficient to see a darkly-clad driver making his way down the banking. Apples and oranges.

Explaining how a large radius sticky tyre takes a kick on impact with a human body... you don't need that explanation Wendi :(

Wendi Ward
Maybe he should get a different headset so he is able to hear on the radio that the car in caution is up high, so go low. Or was he low until he rounded the corner and saw Kevin Jr. standing up for himself?

I've never heard a spotter say "look out, he's heading down the track towards you". Not a usual incident, not expected behaviour.

Wendi Ward
I guess we will never know why all of this was not taken into consideration. Or will we never know why a fellow driver did not check on this young man or his family? Or do we know why? I do, because I have seen the video. It's there, and it's real.

In fairness I believe it was; the case was reviewed by experts and all sides will have had a chance to contribute legally to the discussions. I'm not sure on "check", does she mean decelerate or communicate-to-establish?

Wendi Ward
I can't speak for others. These are my opinions and concerns. I only hope some people take a minute to make sure they have done no wrong before throwing stones.

I'm not sure that's relevant, this is about establishing the facts of this case, this event, nothing more.

Wendi Ward
This means nothing to me, but I want to say it is my understanding that pot stays in a person's system days, weeks, possibly months. Rumor has it that it may be legalized and prescribed for some patients, so then will these people have their drivers' licenses taken away because it makes you react – supposedly -- in a certain way?

I think most users of weed would agree that it should be legalised; I equally think they'd agree that it has no place in the system of a race-car driver. 'Cept GT6, natch.

Wendi Ward
What we do believe is that maybe people react to certain situations because of anger. I've seen it in NASCAR, sports functions and even on our own roads. And yes, these people have to pay for their actions. Well, I guess it depends on who you are.

That's a sad thing to read because it so clearly goes both ways. It also depends on if you survive your angry reaction, it's my opinion that Ward's angry reaction was the overriding contributor to his own death.

Wendi then goes on to talk about the love and support for Kevin Ward, I don't doubt any of that and it just adds to the sadness really. But, as I said earlier, what went before isn't relevant when you look at the facts on the track in that moment.

Kevin reacted angrily and made his way onto the racing line. Regardless of the presence of marijuana I believe he was entirely at fault in the final actions that caused the contact with Stewart's rear tyre.

Wendi Ward
Godspeed, No. 13. Aunt Wendi loves you."

I concur; I wish this hadn't happened just like everybody else does, I'm sure.

In other news I now have a second verse for my Ward/Afroman collaboration.

I genuinely didn't see that in his post - sorry! And thank you .
It wasn't in his post, I just did a quick Google search and found it.

Google: What would we do without it.

The letter didn't exactly start in the best way possible;
Wendi Ward
First and most importantly, I want to say that no matter what people think or say, our family does not need others to determine what we feel or know about Kevin Ward Jr.
Yet you feel obliged to determine that Tony Stewart ran over Kevin Ward Jr on purpose. You feel obliged to determine what Tony Stewarts fate should've been. Right...

Then it gets even better;
Wendi Ward
Why was the toxicology report even an issue? Seems to me the wrong man was on trial. Tell me why Tony Stewart was not taken in for testing, why his car wasn't impounded.

Well Wendi, when a driver walks down a track like he did, there's gonna be questions whether the guy was on something. And as a part of an investigation, they're not gonna look into just one side of the event, they're going to, without a doubt, look into both sides, especially with circumstances like this. Stewart was probably taken into testing either directly after the event or sometime into the investigation. Why would his car need to be impounded, surely it was tech-insepected before the race.

I could go on, but why should I make a family that already looks incredibly bad for how they have acted due to the decision look even worse. Tony Stewart did nothing wrong and if we are to be pointing fingers, point fingers at the kid who walked down a track into traffic just to make a point... oh lets not forget that he was also under the influence of marijuana.

Last edited:
It wasn't in his post, I just did a quick Google search and found it.

Google: What would we do without it.

Ah, normally if one says something is said one sources it; that's what I meant by not finding it, not up to me to find his sources ;)

It's Monday morning and I'm grumpy. :D

Those cars don't have radios, or spotters. If you're gonna speak on the matter, at least do some research first before spewing off a bunch of nonsense. :rolleyes:

But I guess she just felt the need to get her thoughts out there, even though her or the rest of the Ward family wasn't present at the track that night.

Those cars don't have radios, or spotters. If you're gonna speak on the matter, at least do some research first before spewing off a bunch of nonsense. :rolleyes:

But I guess she just felt the need to get her thoughts out there, even though her or the rest of the Ward family wasn't present at the track that night.

I didn't realise that... I'm surprised she doesn't know though. When she mentioned the spotter it seemed natural that they'd have one, as it is her lack of knowledge (which should be greater than mine :) ) is very telling for the whole piece.

I didn't realise that... I'm surprised she doesn't know though. When she mentioned the spotter it seemed natural that they'd have one, as it is her lack of knowledge (which should be greater than mine :) ) is very telling for the whole piece.
Probably assumed that because NASCAR and other high-tier forms of motorsports use some kind of radio communication, so would the local dirt track series. Most of the tracks don't even have much in the way of spectator areas, so they definitely don't have the facilities for spotting. Only tracks that I definitely know of having places for spotting, even if they don't get used are Eldora Speedway, which does get used for NASCAR's Truck Series, and Knoxville Raceway where the Knoxville Nationals are held for World of Outlaws.

World of Outlaws, which is the top-tier dirt oval racing series in the USA doesn't even allow radio communication between the drivers and their crew.

Also, here is an open letter countering the aunt's open letter, written by a guy behind a parody account on twitter.

http://theorangeconesblog.blogspot.com/2014/09/an-open-letter-to-ward-family.html

My father once told me that cars are more dangerous than a saber tooth tiger. Once, on my way home from school, I saw a near-sighted boy struck by a car and fly 60 feet through the air. He lived, thankfully.

I predict this case will be settled before coming to trial.

I predict this case will be settled before coming to trial.

I wonder, I don't see what can be added to the findings of the investigators... and they found none of the claimed "diversion" in the accident videos (two of them?).

Why should Stewart settle? He's not at fault and they can't win a case for it.

Edit: Not to mention all they want out of this is money, so settling only gives them what they want.

Last edited:
I can't see them winning this. They have no way of proving that Stewart intentionally did it ontop of the fact that numerous testimonies as well as two very clear videos have already proven that there was no intent by Stewart. Also:

"Our hope is that this lawsuit will hold Tony Stewart responsible for killing our son and show him there are real consequences when someone recklessly takes another person's life."

While Stewart doesn't know what its like to lose a son that way, I'm pretty sure having to live with the fact that he took a life at all is already in itself a consequence.

Back