Lewis Hamilton DLC challenge is almost impossible with controller

• Thread starter saggzz
  • 242 comments
Whut? Wheels only purpose should be realism otherwise it would be literally the definition of pay2win.

Umm, is realism not an advantage? I'm confused...

Is more degrees of angle and smoother more nuanced inputs of pressure in the braking/accelerator threshold not an advantage?

Is not being able to adjust your turning w/ differing degrees of graduality from 0° to 34° down to 15° then 12° then back to zero through one turn with optimal smoothness while modulating throttle and brake input w/ the same degree of finesse a perceived advantage?

Heck, some might perceive being able to shift your gear from 5th directly into 2nd as an advantage in some scenarios.

It's all subjective.

Still, wheels might be too complicated for some, while others might find controllers too restricting.

My point is/was, there are advantages and possible disadvantages to both, and they are entirely dependent on the individual. Some will be better w/ a wheel, some worse. Some just as good w/ either, and some terrible either way. The choice/option is there, as GT Sport aims to be accessible to a wide range of inputs methods.

For people who use the analog stick as a preferred steering method, do you remember GT 1 days? When the Dualshock controller was first introduced? What would you say to someone who only steered using d,pad w/ the same complaints? Can you revert back to D-pad steering now, with no issues? The difference is similar, & jump is even bigger from controller to steering wheel.

Can you revert back to D-pad steering now, with no issues? The difference is similar, & jump is even bigger from controller to steering wheel.
This video shows someone setting a world number 1 time in FH4 on the PC using the keyboard:

To be honest, there's no substitute for skill whether you're on a wheel or not. If you have the speed and the talent, the times are possible to beat on a controller. I managed to do a 1:36.794 on Dragon Trail, which is exactly 0.3 seconds faster than Hamilton's time. So, if a disabled 19 year-old on a controller can beat the time, anyone can.:lol:

I'm glad you've bought it too mate 👍. Even if we don't get all diamonds we can still have fun trying to beat each others times. I'm sure that you (the controller user) will be above me (TGT user) on our friends list, and are more than capable of rising to the challenges ahead of us (Guaranteed you'll have all diamond before me). :)

Edit: Just on a side note, here in Australia its $15 for the highest value cars in the PS Store. It's only $12 for this DLC and with only getting all golds, you get way more credits (about double I think) than what's needed to purchase that one $15 car.... and there's a great challenge on top aaaannnnd other bonuses! That puts things into perspective to me.:)

My pleasure, Mic ! I'm not in a hurry tackling the challenges, will do the other stuff first. Next is a full lap on Spa - maybe tomorrow if I find some time :). Regarding your bets on who'll finish first, it seems like you've forgotten how quick you definitely are 👍.
Lucky me, I'm in a situation where I don't have to think twice about spending 7 € for some game DLC and I never calculate pros and cons. These challenges "belong to GTS" so to me it's been a must to buy them, no doubt.

I am a low level driver with a pad. I am sure I could get diamond on at least one track if I spent long enough but it just wouldn't be worth it to me so I think I will wait until the DLC is on sale, which it probably will be eventually. Maybe as soon as Xmas/NY?

If I pay half price or less then it won't matter that I won't win half the prizes, I can just enjoy racing Lewis's ghost and get some easy extra credits for bronze/silvers and try and get some of the easier golds.

Fh4 has arcade physics you know so i dont think this is a valid comparision.
FH4 was the main game I played before changing to GT Sport, and the physics is no more arcade than GTS, if we define the physics as being the equations used, as opposed to the parameters fed into those equations. If anything, I'd say it's more sim than GTS in terms of the equations behind it. The parameters used, e.g. the fact that trees are easily broken by the car, are arcade, but they behave like trees would in real life if they had those parameters. Fundamentally you still need to be alien to be at the top, and it's actually a lot trickier than GTS, I could never get as close to the people at the top of the leaderboard in that video as I can get to the top people in GTS. That video makes it look much much easier than it is to do what he's doing, because he's so expert at maintaining control of the car, it's 100% alien territory to be able to do what he's doing there.

I haven’t played GT6 for a year, and I haven’t played GT with a controller for over 10 years. Still managed to silver them all and gold in 5 a couple of hours.

Last edited:
Gold is for me possible on most tracks but not easy diamond I can forget never gonna happen. Since all the updates iam getting slower and slower for some reason also Sport mode I can't get pole times anymore..... P5 at best but most p10 or lower

If the PS4 didn't come with a default controlling device, like a PC doesn't, this would be a non-issue, like it isn't on a PC. I don't here of people running out to buy PS4 type controllers to race on a PC, no, they buy a wheel. If you like to fly, you buy a hotas, if you like fighting you buy a fightstick. Don't bring a knife to a gun fight! The world isn't fair and equal for all, get over it! Leave us alone to enjoy our wheels!

I got all Diamonds with the controller, but it was harder than i expected, so i can understand the frustration. The car doesn't help either, the gr3 AMG has even worse understeer on the controller.
Hej Matt i am also a DS4 user could you place yours DS4 setting i would like to test them, my best time sow far on Dragon Trail is 1:38,9xx. Thanks.

Whats your time on Willow springs?

1:11.284, it was very close, but doable.

Hej Matt i am also a DS4 user could you place yours DS4 setting i would like to test them, my best time sow far on Dragon Trail is 1:38,9xx. Thanks.

I have sensitivity on 7, throttle/brake on R2/L2, shifting on X/Square. A little bit of rear brake bias helps with both the Mercedes and Sauber.

On a controller I simply lack the last 0.5s-1s needed for Diamond. Who knows if a wheel would make up that difference. I suspect it would help. But lack of talent & age/reflexes is a bigger hinderance.

These days I just pit myself against PSN friends of a similar standard. That gives me the motivation and a realistic target to improve my driving.

Few hours this morning were enough to gold all up to The 'Ring... I'll do that one after the F1.

Platinums might be beyond my pad skills, but Golds are far from impossible... and this is for a 52 year old wheel user, who hasn't 'driven' with a pad for over 10 years.

Few hours this morning were enough to gold all up to The 'Ring... I'll do that one after the F1.

Platinums might be beyond my pad skills, but Golds are far from impossible... and this is for a 52 year old wheel user, who hasn't 'driven' with a pad for over 10 years.

Have you retired from the game now? You were at the sharp end of leader boards for quite a while and had some serious pace.

Have you retired from the game now? You were at the sharp end of leader boards for quite a while and had some serious pace.

Pretty much, yes.

About 18 months ago I got a bored of it to be honest - same repeating weekly races, coupled with manic work life at the time.

Then I decided to make a big life change, and after 31 years in corporate life I retired back in July. I packed up my UK life, and moved to Spain in August. Brought my PS4 with me, but didn’t have room in the car to bring my wheel and stand (it’s in storage back in the UK).

Enjoyed this, and as much as it was fun relearning the pad, I now wish I had my wheel here!

Considering semi-retirement instead now then?...:P

We’ll see.

Priority is finding some consultancy work to tide me over for a few years so I don’t have to drain my savings. If I sort that I might get another wheel... it will probably be cheaper to buy a new one than have mine shipped down here!

Back