Modified Track Path Editor + Tracks/Discussion

@eran0004
I'm workin on a new desert Pass. I noticed that I cannot zoom down to the parts the extend outside of the border (Highlighted in yellow).
Capture.PNG
Is there a way I can do this without having to plot the road while zoomed all the way out?
Edit: I'm using the Eifle theme to get maximum space for editing.

@eran0004
I'm workin on a new desert Pass. I noticed that I cannot zoom down to the parts the extend outside of the border (Highlighted in yellow).View attachment 683044 Is there a way I can do this without having to plot the road while zoomed all the way out?
Edit: I'm using the Eifle theme to get maximum space for editing.

Sure, what version are you using?

Edit: Try searching for this line:

mapBorder = 500

Then change it to:

mapBorder = 2000

That should give you some additional scrolling area around the map.

Last edited:
Track Layout Creator 3.2 is now available!

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/course-maker-toolbox.352281/#post-11706459

Note that I implemented quite a few changes (like a semi-professional splash screen!), and I'm not sure if they will work across all platforms. On Windows 10 it works like a charm, but if you're using some other OS I'd appreciate if you could give me some feedback on what works and what doesn't, and any error messages you might encounter.

The changes in 3.2 are:
  • I fixed the broken zooming behaviour
  • Added a navigation panel, allowing you to quickly pan the view to a specific point on the track
  • Scrapped the panel on the left side and moved all of those options to File -> Preferences
  • Moved the toolbar to the top left corner inside the main canvas
  • Added an amazing splash screen (now it will almost feel like an actual program when you start it :P)
  • @Swift20B 's requested border margin option is now a thing! (It's in File -> Preferences)
  • Various fixes and improvements
  • Oh, and the warnings are flashing now, to annoy you into submission! (Actually, it's to make sure that you spot them...)
startupScreen.png

Yep, that's a 3D render of an exported screenshot, made with Blender :D

@eran0004 Is there any way to extract the location of the theme's decorations and place em on the height map?
That way we don't have roads with trees in the middle of them and we can build roads around the villages better.

Hey guys, I am trying to learn how to add decorations to my .TED file, can someone help me?

Get 010 Editor and the template for the location you are using (see the Course Maker Toolbox thread).

Decorations are placed at the end of the file, and each item is 24 bytes:

Bytes 0-7: The decoration ID (this is a long number, but don't worry, they are all in the template)
Bytes 8-11: Rotation flag (integer: 0 or 1)
Bytes 12-15: Start position (in meters)
Bytes 16-19: End position (in meters)
Bytes 20-23: Lateral position on the track (integer: 0 to 7)

There are 8 different slots for the lateral position:

0 = Left A
1 = Left B
2 = Left AB
3 = Right A
4 = Right B
5 = Right AB
6 = Left curb
7 = Right curb

Each decoration belongs to a specific slot by default (see @Mr Grumpy 's road and decoration codes in the Toolbox thread), I don't think it's possible to move an item from a slot A to a slot B. What you can do is to flip the decoration to the other side of the road, e.g. moving a Left A item to Right A, or Left curb to Right curb. To flip the side you need to toggle the rotation flag (set it to 1 instead of 0), which will rotate the entire object by 180 degrees.

This means that when you are placing a decoration consisting of a start, middle and an end section (usually rocks or banked forest), and you want to move it to the other side of the road, you need to reverse the order as well, so that the end section comes first, then the middle section and finally the start section. Otherwise they will be facing away from each other.

@eran0004 Is there any way to extract the location of the theme's decorations and place em on the height map?
That way we don't have roads with trees in the middle of them and we can build roads around the villages better.

The borders from the TPE app should be possible to locate somewhere, but I have no idea how. The exact location of the decorations is probably not available.

Works on Windows 7.

In case you don't have enough features to work on already here are some suggestions
  • automatically add track points with some specified spacing along imported reference path (I sometimes already draw the track once with http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/draw/ and then have to do the same one more time in the Track Layout Creator)
  • support for importing e.g. a png-image as a reference
  • support Bezier curves similar to how the original GT6 Track Path Editor works (to make long smooth intervals, to reduce spacing between points)
  • maybe merge in features from other tools (elevation editor, decoration editor, upload)

Last edited:
@eran0004 ok, so i downloaded the editor and @Mr Grumpy 's road and decoration codes, but i dont know how to add the objects, all i can do with my existing tracks is edit the objects that were already there. (P.S. is there any way to straighten out an object in a corner? i am trying to recreate old hockenheim and i would like to make the forests look good in the chicanes)

@eran0004 ok, so i downloaded the editor and @Mr Grumpy 's road and decoration codes, but i dont know how to add the objects, all i can do with my existing tracks is edit the objects that were already there. (P.S. is there any way to straighten out an object in a corner? i am trying to recreate old hockenheim and i would like to make the forests look good in the chicanes)

Put the cursor at the end of the file and then go to edit -> insert bytes and add 24 bytes for every decoration item you want to add (e.g. ten items would be 240 bytes).

Then go to the header of the file, and add the number of items you added to the decoration count. When you have done that, reload the template.

PD are up to something......

I'm finding it harder & harder to send track's to the server, the cookie method work's when it feels like it & then when I try to upload a track I have to push the upload button at least 10x before it's successful.

Damn you PD leave GT6 alone & give us the secret menu on your way out :)

Edit: pretty please with Nissan GTR's on top.

how would i add items to my decoration count?

Simple addition :)

If it says 0 and you want to add 10 items, just change it to 10.
If it says 42 and you want to add 5 items, change it to 47. If it says 100 and you want to remove an item, change it to 99.

The header tells the game how many items of each type to read. So when it has read this number of decoration items it will stop reading them.

PD are up to something......

I'm finding it harder & harder to send track's to the server, the cookie method work's when it feels like it & then when I try to upload a track I have to push the upload button at least 10x before it's successful.

Damn you PD leave GT6 alone & give us the secret menu on your way out :)

Edit: pretty please with Nissan GTR's on top.
Yeah, I noticed it too when I used the cookie method. Sport is out, people are saying it'll be anywhere from six months to a year before they cut GT6 offline.

I read somewhere that the FIA had an issue with GTSport containing a track editor (something to do with endorsements or certification) any how they would not FIA approve the game unless PD dropped it.

However I can't find the article again so I can't prove it sadly.

Edit: found it. Don't know how legit it is so...

https://www.destructoid.com/review-gran-turismo-sport-469111.phtml

To quote the line.....

I find it hard to believe the FIA had such a big issue with Gran Turismo 6’s track editor that they demanded it be removed from any future entries. Having such a feature would definitely have extended the life of this game, but the FIA requirements mostly stifle the ability GT Sport has with making a connection with anyone. You can only race the same courses so many times before you’ve seen it all and without different routes or variations, the lack of content is going to catch up to most people quickly.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that the FIA had an issue with GTSport containing a track editor (something to do with endorsements or certification) any how they would not FIA approve the game unless PD dropped it.

However I can't find the article again so I can't prove it sadly.

That sounds more like speculation than a statement that FIA or PD would make.

It's more likely that there's no course maker in GT Sport (yet?) because it's not at the top of the list of priorities.

Maple Valley room open if anyone fancies it, final online test.

I'm literally falling asleep, otherwise I would have joined!

Also, I discovered a good way to make the road surface a bit more natural. Using the elevation editor, I first resample the elevation with a resolution of 4 meters, then use the roughen tool with the magnitude set to 0.1 or 0.2. The final step is to use the smoothen tool with the maximum segment length set somewhere between 6-8.

The result is a smooth surface, but with some small variations

Back