NBA 2012-13 Offseason Thread

• Thread starter Stavingo
  • 449 comments
Australia
Sydney
Stavingo
Wow, Hornets are gonna have some fun after that salary cap trade. Sources say they're 20 million below the salary cap if they waive Rashard Lewis.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's talk that Nash is considering the Knicks, what do you guys think? Lin briefly showed that a good Point Guard (even though I still think Lin's run was a hot streak and didn't prove he was a star) can be really good for the Knicks.

If Josh Smith becomes free agents where you think he goes? If Garnett retires i hope he goes to the Celtics.

Stavingo
Man that trade we did with the Wizards, we got absolutely jacked, bad trade by Demps IMO.

We're in rebuilding mode, and Okafor and Ariza were good but not great players. By trading them we pick up a pick and lose roughly 18 million in cap, which could be used for resigning Gordon and picking up some other free agents. They will probably buy out Lewis' contract soon.

There's talk that Nash is considering the Knicks, what do you guys think? Lin briefly showed that a good Point Guard (even though I still think Lin's run was a hot streak and didn't prove he was a star) can be really good for the Knicks.
The Knicks would become my second team if they sign Nash. I still have love for Tyson Chandler & I thought the Knicks looked to have an amazing line up to rival Miami with him, Anthony, Davis, Stoudemire & even young Lin. And with Davis out for 10 months still, Nash could fulfill that role.

But, despite a6m5's hidden crush for Ms. Nash ( :P ), he has been my favorite player for a long, long time. And he sorely needs a new team to build with if he ever wants a championship because it's just not there in Phoenix. And rebuilding a relationship with Amar'e would be a fantastic first step.

I'd also prefer him as Knicks player over Miami, but I've always had a hidden feeling that if he wanted a ring, Miami may not be a bad place to do it as a 2nd string player. I know Dallas has talked about offering him a contract, but our team needs some young blood & Nash would only be temporarily replacing Kidd whose possibly got another year left in him. It'd be amazing though for him to retire as a Mav though (not in the way Modano retired as a Star, though). And I'd definitely be first in line to pick up his jersey. :lol:

But, god forbid he become a Thunder. Sure, he could show Westbrook what the hell a Point Guard actually does for once, but I hope he goes elsewhere. OKC already have veterans like Perkins & Fischer on their team and neither took on the role to teach the team about the Finals. Nash shouldn't have too, either.

It's really only to have the ability to keep Eric Gordon when he goes RFA this year. But then again Aminu can probably start at SF.
Ah, that would make sense. I think I did read that he was a FA this year. 👍
Oi! At least the Raptors don't tank games on purpose.:sly: BTW, some may not have noticed but Bosh man handled Perkins with ease this game.
That pump fake he pulled on Perkins, Bosh did make him look absolutely stupid. :crazy:

Blazers tanked games in 2005, but Raptors played through that season, also. I do respect that. 👍
Nash is great(and Mac's right :embarrassed:), but of course, give & take here is that we don't know how much more game he has left in him. I thought Phoenix was nuts to sign him long term in 2004, and he's still good, so who knows?

I like Lin, but isn't he uptempo? Uptempo basketball is fool's gold in the NBA. You might rack up wins during the regular season, but it is a small part of the post season. It's all muscle & execution come the Playoff time.

The problem with Lin though is the amount of turnovers he commits. Sure he may score 20 or 30 or however many but he still turns it over 6 or 7 times a game.

The problem with Lin though is the amount of turnovers he commits. Sure he may score 20 or 30 or however many but he still turns it over 6 or 7 times a game.
Which is fine during the regular season. You can commit turnovers and still win. Post season is a different story, and as much as I like Jeremy Lin, I don't think he can handle the physical Playoff ball either.

Which is fine during the regular season. You can commit turnovers and still win. Post season is a different story, and as much as I like Jeremy Lin, I don't think he can handle the physical Playoff ball either.

Thats true, but still I think most of his turnovers could be avoidable.

Thanks for that link Stavingo. 👍

It's certainly going to be interesting to see what they do in free agency. I wouldn't mind seeing someone like D.J Augustin in a Hornets jersey but I'd imagine the Bobcats would probably match any offer made for him.

Thanks for that link Stavingo. 👍

It's certainly going to be interesting to see what they do in free agency. I wouldn't mind seeing someone like D.J Augustin in a Hornets jersey but I'd imagine the Bobcats would probably match any offer made for him.

That's the thing about D.J being a restricted agent, he would suit a starting role rather than coming off the bench behind Kemba.

Last edited:
Report: Steve Nash has a three-team shortlist — Blazers, Raptors, Suns

Sportsnet 590 The Fan’s Eric Smith (via Sportsnet.ca) said on his radio show Friday in Toronto that he has been told that free-agent point guard Steve Nash has narrowed his list of possible teams for next season to three.

“I heard from national-media types from around the U.S., and at least one prominent agent as well, that believe that Steve Nash has a shortlist,” Smith said. “From what I have heard from these people, and they could be wrong, but these are coming from some pretty legitimate sources, it is a three-team race for Steve Nash in free agency: Portland, Phoenix and Toronto.”

The sourcing is obviously a bit suspect, but the teams certainly make sense. Nash is a Canada native and has a longstanding relationship with the Colangelo family, and Bryan Colangelo is president/general manager of the Raptors. Nash grew up in British Columbia, and Portland is the closest NBA city. And Nash has had his best years in Phoenix and wouldn’t have to uproot his family. link
Sounds bogus, but I guess I am hopeful.

It's not ideal for the Blazers, because we haven't even begun rebuilding. I guess Phoenix wants to keep him, but elite veteran like Nash, who is entering the end of his career, IMO, he should be considering joining a contender(Dallas, LAL, maybe potential contenders like the Knicks). Raptors, yeah, he's a Canuck, but Raptors have Calderon. If they are getting Nash to retire there, Blazers should trade for Calderon!

Wait, what?! C'mon Nash, he knows there's plenty of teams who will welcome the veteran.

Sounds bogus though, am I right? He might have casually mentioned it to someone or something, but things will change once the FA starts in July....... July, right? Who knows, they actually executed a trade during the Finals. I don't even know anymore.

I don't want the Raptors to pick up Nash, his age and remaining usefullness worry me a great deal, but his playmaking ability is definitely suited to a team like the Knicks who have great talent and poor structure. Calderon is still producing, it just wouldn't make sense for Nash to go back to Canada.

I'm telling you guys. Pat Riley is too hard a pimp to not sign Greg Oden, and for what it costs to buy a Volkswagen Passat. The giraffe at Metro Zoo just died in case Greg needs a new knee.

Now the wait until the NBA draft and free agency, I just want it all to happen already so I can see what my team's roster can look like :P

Now the wait until the NBA draft and free agency, I just want it all to happen already so I can see what my team's roster can look like :P

I know the feeling mate.:scared:

Given that the Heat doesn't hinge on the centre position that much, they quite possibly have the least to lose and the most to gain (inside presence) by signing Oden.

I know the feeling mate.:scared:

Given that the Heat doesn't hinge on the centre position that much, they quite possibly have the least to lose and the most to gain (inside presence) by signing Oden.

Oden is pretty much what the Heat needs, a defensive style Centre who is able to block shots and still be able to help on offense.

Also, are there any shooters on the market to replace Mike Miller?

I think I heard that Ray Allen will be a Heat next year. They are also trying to replace Juwan Howard with Kevin Garnett, but only if Dwight Howard turns them down. Phil Jackson will be the coach. :lol:

I think I heard that Ray Allen will be a Heat next year. They are also trying to replace Juwan Howard with Kevin Garnett, but only if Dwight Howard turns them down. Phil Jackson will be the coach. :lol:

Phil Jackson can coach a basketball team to an NBA title, a Superbowl, a Euro cup, and a World Cup all at the same time.

Phil Jackson can coach a basketball team to an NBA title, a Superbowl, a Euro cup, and a World Cup all at the same time.

Somehow we knew all along that he was Chuck Norris.

P.S. Playoffs for the Blazers, Raptors & the Hornets starts this Thursday. I hope we win! Maybe we'll get another Brandon Roy, Greg Oden, or LaMarcus Aldridge.

It is what it is. :(

My brother found a good site on the interwebs today called the Bleacher Report, has all up to date rumours, speculation and analysis on every team. At this rate it could well be acquiring Nash in free agency and trading Calderon and his expiring contract. So long as Nash is as effective or more so than Calderon still is I don't mind it too much, I certainly like and appreciate what he can do.
I also read that the Rockets are talking trade with the Raptors on draft to get their 8th pick.

Man, I feel sorry for Brandon Roy and him retiring early.

He was such a beast.
I was such a fan.

What I posted about him on the Blazers forum his rookie year actually ended up being featured on the Blazers website that year. Good basketball I.Q., and he played like a veteran. Deceivingly fast, very strong left or right. Only couple of his weaknesses has been his reliance on iso(then again, he didn't really have legit help), and maybe his average defense.

I am happy for him that he's coming back, even if in another uniform, and for limited minutes. If he goes to OKC, Miami, or Utah, I am still booing him though. You know, don't hate me man, hate the game. :sly:
My brother found a good site on the interwebs today called the Bleacher Report, has all up to date rumours, speculation and analysis on every team. At this rate it could well be acquiring Nash in free agency and trading Calderon and his expiring contract. So long as Nash is as effective or more so than Calderon still is I don't mind it too much, I certainly like and appreciate what he can do.
I also read that the Rockets are talking trade with the Raptors on draft to get their 8th pick.
I've ended up on that site many times, but like many blog sites, I've also seen some ignorant stuff on there, along with lots of good. Have they said what number Calderon will be wearing in Portland?

Back