NBA 2012-13 Offseason Thread

• Thread starter Stavingo
  • 449 comments
Barg is already a beast as is :lol:

I actually really like El Mago (or Banana as my bro and I call him :lol:), he has a great offensive talent and his defence probably isn't as bad as people think, especially now with coach Casey getting in his head, but the rebounding numbers don't lie. He also has issues staying healthy. A healthy Bargnani could mean big for the Raptors this year.

That's true, probably likewise for my Hornets with Eric Gordon, if he can play out a full season then he will be lethal.

Hornets organisation resigned Monty Williams for another few years, smoove move.

Last edited:
NBA TV had an NBA Hardwood Classics show taking a look at a game between the Lakers at Clippers (at Clippers because the LAC graphics were on the floor). It was a game from March 6, 2000; the highlight was supposed to be on Shaq scoring 61 points on his birthday. The one thing that stung me about the coverage was... Kobe Bryant had hair? Dude had a full head of hair back in 2000 and looks a WHOLE lot different then compared to now.

Just wanted to show this bit of lighthearted material with you. According to my Rockets, we signed Forward Carlos Delfino to a one-year deal. I just want the Rockets to be a contender again. I want a team other than the Texans and Dynamo to be a success speaking as a Houston sports fan.

Arrgh! NBA 2K12 just glitched on me, losing Greg Oden at the player re-sign deadline. Now Amir Johnson is my starting Centre for the rest of the season!:crazy: Sorry, had to vent that, plus vent my boredom during the NBA off-season lull.:grumpy:

Arrgh! NBA 2K12 just glitched on me, losing Greg Oden at the player re-sign deadline. Now Amir Johnson is my starting Centre for the rest of the season!:crazy: Sorry, had to vent that, plus vent my boredom during the NBA off-season lull.:grumpy:

In other NBA 2K12 news using Afro Kobe in Create-a-Legend mode is fun :D

Something tells me Orlando will still hate him and boo the hell out of him.:sly:

Well, taking a ad out in the paper to say goodbye's nice & all....... except the fans still have the dagger stuck in the back, right where Dwight left it. :dopey:

For the first time earlier today, I actually saw a picture of the new scoreboard Toyota Center has. It's bloody massive, mates! The new scoreboard is told to be ready on November 3rd (our first home game of the 2012-2013 season), when we will take on a6m5's Portland Trail Blazers. Here is a post regarding this new scoreboard:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...oard-largest-indoor-arena-162735432--nba.html

All I got to say is... I don't care how big the scoreboard is- I care more about my team playing BIG and playing to be a contender. I don't want the Rockets to be the worst NBA team in Texas year after year. I don't want them to always look up at San Antonio and Dallas in the rankings (as far as Texas teams go) year after year. And why not? Dallas has all the fun with that huge football stadium; why not us Houstonians have a little fun with our own lovely big scoreboard? And the Houston vs. Dallas battles continue...

I did catch a headline referring to Houston's new IMAX jumbotron-thing. Supposedly being installed in Houston because of the 2013 All-Star Game taking place there.

It looks like Blatche will either be in Miami or Brooklyn next season, he'd help make either team that much deeper again.

What do Mexican basketball fans get at the concession stand? Shaquitos.

You better hope Dirk drains his shots, because the Kobe+Howard+Gasol combo is not gonna make it easy for you guys. Especially now that Nash is at point, so Kobe can be playing as a pure scorer now.

The only thing missing for LA is Phil Jackson.
That's been the claim going around for every team, though. Regardless, history shows that against some of the tougher teams in the league like LA, San Antonio, & OKC, Dallas still manages to do well, esp. at home.

And like Dallas' new players, Nash will have to find chemistry with Gasol & Bryant and then the team will have to find chemistry with Howard when he returns after the season starts. Then there's the question of Mike Brown learning from last year.

Anyway, bought a couple tickets to the pre-season game against the Rockets. Get to see Linsanity vs. Vinsanity. :D

It looks like Blatche will either be in Miami or Brooklyn next season, he'd help make either team that much deeper again.

I have a feeling that he'll choose Miami :P

Scratch that, apparently he signed for the vets minimum at Brooklyn.

Last edited:
Apparently there's a rumour going around the Raptors have signed Dominic McGuire and will re-sign Jamaal Magloire. I'm all for re-signing Malgoire as a locker room mentor/back-up in dire situations, but I don't really know anything about Dominic McGuire. Judging by career stats he's terrible.

Ron Artest (or Metta World Peace) talks about his Lakers could go 73-9 this coming season. Even if it makes me unpopular, I'm sick of the Lakers. Do you think the 2012-2013 Lakers could really win 73 games?

I just want to get SOMETHING going regarding the NBA. I know we have college football, the NFL, and baseball; but I wanted to get a little NBA chatter going.

Last edited:
73-9?! Wow, that would be a new record i think. Lose 9 in a row and the win 73 in a row + 16 in the playoffs. Lol

As amazing as that would be, not a chance. Jordan was at his prime & had Pippen and Rodman amongst a solid bench that were at their peaks as well.
The Lakers, as great as their superstars are, have a Kobe past his prime, an aging Steve Nash, & a Howard who is the key factor to the team's chemistry. Artest & Gasol will be solid players, but also past their prime.

If anyone is still capable of hitting those records, it will be the Thunder or the Heat & both teams are going to be crucial teams for LA to overcome.

According to NBA.com's Hang Time Blog, teams that could make a playoff run this season include the Cavaliers, the Bucks, the Timberwolves, the Hornets, and a team called... the Houston Rockets. Here's the article:

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/09/19/five-teams-on-the-rise/

I also read another piece about how Jeremy Lin is not real cool about being seen as the face of the Rockets. The same blogger behind the post I linked to earlier did the same piece regarding how Jeremy Lin is basically the face of the Rockets for as long as we keep him. So he'll probably be on the same wavelength as when we picked up Yao Ming, then when Tracy McGrady joined H-Town, and let's not forget when BOTH of them together helped out the Rockets. I am not make Jeremy Lin out to be the next big thing or the only big player. Even back in the 2000s, we had a handful of solid players: Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley, Stromile Swift, Kyle Lowry, Glen Rice, and people like that. Besides Jeremy Lin, I'm sold on Chandler Parsons from last season. Jeremy Lin is NOT the entire Rockets roster. Here's the piece on nba.com about how Jeremy Lin basically IS the Rockets:

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/09/19/believe-it-jeremy-lin-you-are-the-face-of-the-rockets/

This was just my contribution to this off-season chatter. Next thing you know it, it will be time to hoop it up again NBA style. MUCH different circumstances this season compared to last season. Us fans weren't even sure we'd get in any NBA basketball considering the lockout last season. Then, we got ourselves that 66-something game season even complete with back-to-back-to-backs. The 2012-2013 season should be a good one.

As amazing as that would be, not a chance. Jordan was at his prime & had Pippen and Rodman amongst a solid bench that were at their peaks as well.
The Lakers, as great as their superstars are, have a Kobe past his prime, an aging Steve Nash, & a Howard who is the key factor to the team's chemistry. Artest & Gasol will be solid players, but also past their prime.

If anyone is still capable of hitting those records, it will be the Thunder or the Heat & both teams are going to be crucial teams for LA to overcome.

Howard missed the entire pre-season and he is doubtful for the first games of the season btw. I don't know if this will affect his performance this year. Nash is way past of his prime, but he can still produce good numbers. Artest and Gasol are declining, too. Kobe needs to take fewer shots and to pass more, which is difficult for him lol. Anyway, this Lakers team is nowhere near the '91-'93 Bulls team in teams of quality and individuals.

I read something on ESPN's Bottom Line that Rasheed Wallace might come out of retirement and want to play for the New York Knicks. Many know Rasheed Wallace as a walking Technical Foul. Think 'Sheed would be a difference maker for the Knicks if he were to return?

If Rasheed Wallace's last year at Boston is any indication, then he is not going to be in good enough shape to play in the NBA.

According to a tweet I just read on Twitter, it's official- Rasheed Wallace is back! He signed a deal to play for the New York Knicks. 'Sheed is back.

[UPDATE] Another tweet I just read noted that there will be an anti-flopping rule to be implemented starting this season. So if you want to stay on the court, be a man- take a hard foul! What do you make of such anti-flopping rules?

Last edited:
A few more details about the NBA's anti-flopping measures... you can read about the new measures here:

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/10/03/nba-sets-flopping-penalties.ap/index.html

Basically, you get warned on your first flop. After one flop, you're fined $5K US dollars up until you flop for the sixth time- where you face suspension. What are your thoughts on the new flopping measures?

[UPDATE] Each flop is judged on video reviews. If you're suspected of flopping, then the NBA gets involved.

Last edited:
Baseball is over (for my team at least) so now I'm back into the NBA action.

Clippers are the best team in the Pacific Division.

Book it.

Back