Need for Speed HEAT Revealed, Arrives November 8

• Thread starter Gr4ndy
  • 148 comments
MXH
Another 'leaked' picture. The HUD looks so much better now. It truly sucked balls in PB.

r33qce1czfg31.jpg
The lack of contrast in the HUD is gonna be annoying. They need to put a dark backing on it or else it's gonna blend in with the background during the daytime.

@Sage Ages For you it might be annoying, but for some it's great that they made it transparent. I really like the look of the hud and the fact that it is transparent without any background. Less distracting while playing.

The lack of contrast in the HUD is gonna be annoying. They need to put a dark backing on it or else it's gonna blend in with the background during the daytime.

I imagine that when you switch to daytime it'll have something rendered behind it to make sure it stands out

If they redesign the physics to have more grip, this would make the cars slower through corners, but they should at least make them faster in terms of speed and acceleration to compensate.

I hope they retain the ability where every car when fully upgraded, competes at the same level, but with improved speeds of more than 400km/h (Payback only allowed cars to reach around 230mph when fully upgraded, with the exception of the Koenigsegg Regera). Good thing speedcards are gone which makes the cars feel very unbalanced, due to perks that are obtained through random which require the use of tokens and a roulette-like mechanic (which fuels microtransactions).

Hopefully this NFS would also have cockpit view, and when cars are fully upgraded, we can convert them with full-on racing cockpits, to add to the variety of visual customization, and a more powerful livery editor where we can make our own shapes and decals, just like in GT Sport, and that we can save plenty of liveries, perhaps hundreds of liveries per individual car.

Oh, and they need more depth of upgrades in certain aspects, such as (recycling those from NFS 2015, but with new options, marked in bold):

Air Filter
Brakes
Camshaft
Chassis
Clutch
Cooling System
Cylinder Heads
Differential
Driveshaft
ECU
Electric System
Engine Block
Exhaust
Flywheel
Forced Induction
Fuel System
Handbrake
Ignition
Manifold
Nitrous
Suspension
Sway Bars
Tires
Transmission
Weight Reduction

Gameplay-wise, they need to return Quick Race modes (circuit, drag, drift, outrun, lap knockout) and free run (where you can do free-roam outside of the story/campaign), as well as "My Cars" mode where you can freely customize any car you want with anything for free outside of the campaign (for as long as they are unlocked). Also, the campaign should feature "new game plus".

Hopefully this NFS would also have cockpit view, and when cars are fully upgraded, we can convert them with full-on racing cockpits, to add to the variety of visual customization, and a more powerful livery editor where we can make our own shapes and decals, just like in GT Sport, and that we can save plenty of liveries, perhaps hundreds of liveries per individual car.

I woulnd't count for cockpit view... I would like to be surprised, but I don't believe that they would add it.

Also Livery Editor in Payback and 2015 NFS is pretty complex. I think it is on the same level as GT Sport.

Looking at the title card, I was expecting this to be set in Miami with lots of cyberpunk/synthwave aesthetics.

Imagine this:
khyzyl-saleem-widelmabo-1762web.jpg

Set to this soundtrack:

Instead, we got a mish mash of ProStreet's day events, NFS 2015 night cop chases (and a wannabe Cross) and an even cheesier story than Payback. Not to mention KS' talents are wasted on ricing up an electric saloon (which you can't buy anyway because the Polestar works on a subscription system in real life). I was so excited to see a new direction, but EA predictably chose the lowest hanging fruit yet again. I should've known better.

At least my 15 year old nephew is excited. I'll just try out the game when he gets it and save myself $99 ;)

I don't know if it was already said but that trailer remind me in some aspect 2 Fast 2 Furious in Miami and Fast Five in Brazil.. The sound of the Skyline at 1:06 i had that flash of the Skyline owned by Brian O'Conner in 2 Fast 2 Furious at the begging of the movie

Maybe the HUD lights up in the darkness like on a real car's dashboard gauges.

Looking at the title card, I was expecting this to be set in Miami with lots of cyberpunk/synthwave aesthetics.

Imagine this:
khyzyl-saleem-widelmabo-1762web.jpg

Set to this soundtrack:

Instead, we got a mish mash of ProStreet's day events, NFS 2015 night cop chases (and a wannabe Cross) and an even cheesier story than Payback. Not to mention KS' talents are wasted on ricing up an electric saloon (which you can't buy anyway because the Polestar works on a subscription system in real life). I was so excited to see a new direction, but EA predictably chose the lowest hanging fruit yet again. I should've known better.

At least my 15 year old nephew is excited. I'll just try out the game when he gets it and save myself $99 ;)

That would be 10/10 and insta buy for me. But well. We will see maybe this time they will nail it? I will wait for reviews.

Exactly, wasn't Need For Speed filled with cheesy cutscenes at its Black Box-era peak?

Even the 2015 cutscenes seem to be fondly remembered nowadays.
I thought all need for speeds were cheesy lol undergrounds: hot girl gives you keys, you magically do well, you street race your own car and win.
Mostwanted: street race some asshole, asshole "cheats" and wins your car, hot girl helps you get a new car, you're magically really good, you get your car back.
Carbon: you run a way because of a race gone wrong, you're old team mate gets an audi and controls a sector of 4 different sectors, you come back, hot girl helps you get a car and build a team, you control all sectors and tell audi guy to leave.
Pro street: you're already magically good and your S13 is magically fast, you beat all top people, you make man in evo that can drift and do wheelies apparently get kicked out of his own team.

I actually thought the runs story was pretty decent, the only thing that really killed the game was really stiff physics and LAG

I'd even argue that the stories after pro street, actually even starting from carbon started getting better, you started learning about the characters, why you should like them. Pro street obviously was just a big festival, a more competitive gridlife, but I really only see the career in undergrounds/ most wanted is just to unlock stuff. Theres really nothing to them.

Last edited:
I am playing Payback right now, and I am pleasantly surprised. Even the store isn't that bad in my opinion. It is unbelievable and stupid in some way, but I feel it is much better than "random" Fast And Furious style off story. This is pastiche of car action movies I am enjoying it

I think the problem here is that it looks like they're trying to do something serious, but just ends up looking dumb and cheesy.

MW 2005 presented itself the same way and everybody loved it. Bit early to judge from 1 trailer too but we will see.

Bad news guys. David Rutter has been promoted to Group General Manager in Europe for studios such as DICE Stockholm, Criterion, and Ghost.

For those who don't know, David Rutter was head of the FIFA team. He joined the team the same year that FUT (FIFA Ultimate Team) was introduced. This means is that titles under the studios listed here and potentially even more could suffer the same fate. Remember the stupid card system in NFS Payback and Battlefront II? Those originated from the FIFA and MADDEN series. While it has been confirmed that the card system was replaced in Heat, that still doesn't mean that this title and future ones are stupid-proof from EA. The clothing aspect can alone be affected in a big way.

And for those who say we don't know that this might happen, yeah, you're right. It doesn't guarantee that this will be the case, but come on. This is EA we are talking about. They're predictably bad. Evil, Bad-evil. Badevil.

Any hope, ANY hope (how small of a sliver it was) I had for NFS is now trashed...gone, nonexistent. I hate being negative, but with EA, what choice do we have?

Damn and I was actually looking forward to NFS Heat.

There won’t be loot boxes in NFS Heat and instead there will be surprise mechanics and kinder eggs.

This is EA we are talking about. They're predictably bad. Evil, Bad-evil. Badevil.
That same bad company literally ruined my childhood. I waisted thousands of hours playing games like NFS, Burnout, SSX, Mass Effect, FIFA, Dragon Age, Death Space, Medal of Honor... shame on you EA.
Imagine now they are trying to convince us there won't be any loot-boxes or microtransactions for the sole purpose of getting better reviews from the media. Who they think we are? Beside you already decided to not buy this product anyway. Now if only you could convince the others.
Too bad there are still a lot of fans that keep high hopes for this game.. How shameful.

What EA does with either Battlefront 2 or Apex. Either way, could just be cosmetics for now but it sets a dangerous path for the future games.
Thanks, but that didn’t expand anything about my question. What does that mean?

Thanks, but that didn’t expand anything about my question. What does that mean?
In EA’s logic, surprise mechanics are basically the same thing as loot boxes, just that they’re trying to refer to them as something else to try and avoid getting into legal problems with countries like Belgium where loot boxes are banned.

Everything you posted here is before the announcement I posted (about half a month before). What this means now is that at anytime, EA/Ghost (or any other developer listed or not under EA) can go back on this promise and pull an Activision (introducing loot boxes in an update after the initial release), or even have them at release. Those articles are now outdated and don't reflect anything on the game as far as I'm concerned. While it could potentially not affect Heat, it can and most likely will affect future titles of the series.

Also, notice how micro-transactions aren't mentioned at all. Even if there are no loot boxes or "surprise mechanics", who knows what could be tied into micro-transactions. We know micro-transactions will be in the game, but how far will it go? We just saw EA ruin Apex Legends (fortunately for me, I don't play that game), a game they had no influence with until they saw how successful it was, then sank their teeth into the game.

Because, after all, this is EA we are talking about. Nothing is beneath them. Whatever it takes to make that extra buck, and their actions only speak that, and this latest action only proves that even further. David Rutter is a monetization expert, not a game developer.

Of course, I really am hoping that there won't be anything nefarious here, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Fortunately, I don't care about cosmetics for my character. I care mostly about the cars. Will be waiting on proper reviews that I can trust. Still probably won't buy it anyways.

You simply cannot trust the word of any developer under EA, just their actions. And I'm talking about the higher ups, not the "grunts" that are actually developing the game in question.

Everything you posted here is before the announcement I posted (about half a month before). What this means now is that at anytime, EA/Ghost (or any other developer listed or not under EA) can go back on this promise and pull an Activision (introducing loot boxes in an update after the initial release), or even have them at release. Those articles are now outdated and don't reflect anything on the game as far as I'm concerned. While it could potentially not affect Heat, it can and most likely will affect future titles of the series.

People has been expecting that to happen way before the announcement of Rutter's promotion to EA Europe, during the Gamescom interviews the devs mention "no lootbox, no microtransaction at launch". It did happen with Battlefied 5 last year where a good chunk of the marketing said no microtransaction and it got added into the game April this year.

I still think the whole character customisation was made for microtransactions, they could easily made a Supreme set to sell it for $10 and people will buy it.

It's likely they'll do it like Forza with the avatars and the knick knacks from Payback.

I say keep one eye on EA because it's EA. I want to play that new Plants vs. Zombies but I fear EA will ruin that game, they didn't do it with the last 2 but I dunno.

It's likely they'll do it like Forza with the avatars and the knick knacks from Payback.

I say keep one eye on EA because it's EA. I want to play that new Plants vs. Zombies but I fear EA will ruin that game, they didn't do it with the last 2 but I dunno.

Forza didn't charge any real world money with the avatar stuff, it is just there to annoy the players and flood the wheelspins with crap. EA did sell the neons, tyre smoke colours and nos colours in loot boxes.

For AAA like EA and Activision, it is easier to just expect it to happen regardless how good the game looks to be.

Latest Posts

Back