New Gran Turismo 5 footage from AGS! 4 minutes !

  • Thread starter Thread starter Micxster
  • 128 comments
  • 11,153 views
Jay
Nice spot with the Prologue Spec heading.


The F458 has fixed paddles on the steering colomn, although the paddles are long so in most regular steering positions you can still just flick them, in tight corners the hands will have to come off (or atleast will have to slip the hands in a new position) to use the paddles.

This is why pd has placed the hands lift as you change gears, this allows any sudden movements of the wheel to not interfer in anyway with the gearshift animation.


Cars like the Mercedes SLS that have the paddles fixed to the wheel itself don't have this problem and the hands animation looks more natural. Go watch the SLS video to see for yourself.

Thanks, was to lazy to explain it again.
 
Cool vid, but I hope those arent the physics in the final release. I know the car certainly feels more alive in the TT demo. I don't think he had one instance of oversteer.
 


I am at least curious how are these wonderfully controlled real drifts corresponding with new physics engine.

Shifting animation is awkward, I can still hear F430 sound in F458 (yes, that old and raspy, weird one).
 
@cjmodiano: Because of the R3 tires.
 
Cool vid, but I hope those arent the physics in the final release. I know the car certainly feels more alive in the TT demo. I don't think he had one instance of oversteer.

It's because he blocked the Mclaren to early, and got himself clipped.
 
I think the 458 italia's paddles aren't actually attached to the steering wheel (therefore they don't rotate when you turn the wheel) so therefore the driver would have to move his hand to flick the paddle if the wheel isn't aligned with the actual paddles and I'm guessing it would've been too difficult for PD to make 2 different animations for that 1 car.

Personally they don't bother me at all.. I don't know why people are fussing.. It's better than no animation.

Most paddle shifts aren't connected to the steering wheel. One of my gifs with the G25. Ok when your only turning 90 degrees, but beyond its annoying.
 
That always depends on the car, i find the movement in both cars very realistic.
It looks a bit stiff (and of course far from perfect), but show me one game where it is better.
 
Why are we fussing? Because the animation is unnatural and unrealistic. You don't have to take your hands off the wheel.

*vid*

I agree but there's a problem. The paddles are on the upper part of the wheel. You can't shift without removing you hands off the wheel if you're turning and you hand is on the lower part.

I believe PD went with the fail safe approach that will work on every case to make it simpler for them. It will probably work on nearly every car also. When you have 1000 cars you better do such a thing or prepare to waste a lot of time on such a detail that won't really add to the experience at all.

I too would like it to be changed but for now I'm more concerned with the 180 degrees steering.
 
Jay
Nice spot with the Prologue Spec heading.


The F458 has fixed paddles on the steering colomn, although the paddles are long so in most regular steering positions you can still just flick them, in tight corners the hands will have to come off (or atleast will have to slip the hands in a new position) to use the paddles.

This is why pd has placed the hands lift as you change gears, this allows any sudden movements of the wheel to not interfer in anyway with the gearshift animation.


Cars like the Mercedes SLS that have the paddles fixed to the wheel itself don't have this problem and the hands animation looks more natural. Go watch the SLS video to see for yourself.
Again, everything is explained perfectly there, no need for further explanation.
 
what use for centre finger other situation?lol
everything seems OK and keeping better and better..
Kazunori Hurt me More Hurt me Moreeee while waiting GT5.
 
I wonder if it will be possible to finish gt5 without racing on the tokyo track, because iam just damn sick of seeing the place.
 
I love how PD is showing the Tokyo track yet again...

It's probably because it's the best looking track in the game.

Turn 10 did the same thing with Forza 3. Every time FM3 was previewed it was that mountain track (Forget it's name). And when you play the game, you noticed that the graphics on that particular track were better than all other tracks.
 
Really nice cockpit, as always, but the animations and sounds...:yuck:
(Those in the sls are better, but still slooow and stiff...no one changes gears like that!)
This is how you do it properly. And btw, who changes gears in full lock???
Stop apologizing for PD, it's getting quite sad, the level of fanboyism.....and I'm a big fan btw...

 
It's because he blocked the Mclaren to early, and got himself clipped.

Good eyes. That is just the way it looks in the rear view mirror.
 
This is how you do it properly

1:22 and again at 2:02 in the first video.... he's downshifting.... hitting imaginary paddles at almost 12 o' clock position, way to kill your own argument! ;)

Jay has summed up nicely why PD have done what they have. We'd all like more animations, but if we want to see GT5 this year then we have to live with small things like this.
 
1:22 and again at 2:02 in the first video.... he's downshifting.... hitting imaginary paddles at almost 12 o' clock position, way to kill your own argument! ;)

Jay has summed up nicely why PD have done what they have. We'd all like more animations, but if we want to see GT5 this year then we have to live with small things like this.
Small to you perhaps. Unless they allow us to remove the driver from the cockpit view, I don't want to drive that 458 Italia in GT5. That's my opinion.
 
It's probably because it's the best looking track in the game.

Turn 10 did the same thing with Forza 3. Every time FM3 was previewed it was that mountain track (Forget it's name). And when you play the game, you noticed that the graphics on that particular track were better than all other tracks.

So expect the other tracks not to look as good then.
I notice that the cockpit roof is as dark as the tt demo, I was hoping for a bit of detail or another colour than black on the interior roof.
 
Anyone figure out why GT5 Prologue is there?

And wow at the Tokyo hate, I love that track. 👍
 
Why are we fussing? Because the animation is unnatural and unrealistic. You don't have to take your hands off the wheel.



Look again, and look hard, see the paddles behind the wheel? Are they moving with the wheel? I think you will find that every wheel on the market that has the paddles move with the wheel is un-realistic, thats why I removed them from my G25 and will be doing the same if I get a G27, why aren't you having a go at Logitech as well?
 
1:22 and again at 2:02 in the first video.... he's downshifting.... hitting imaginary paddles at almost 12 o' clock position, way to kill your own argument! ;)

Jay has summed up nicely why PD have done what they have. We'd all like more animations, but if we want to see GT5 this year then we have to live with small things like this.

I've seen that, yes, it's flawed, but it looks much much better than GT. There needs to be more animations, but please give me a break with the whole if you want this done properly, you'd have to wait until X, it's getting really old!
Just stop making excuses. It's crappy and unrealistic, and needs to be corrected. End of story.
 
Some of you really need to get out more if a shifting animation in GT5 can give you an aneurysm. I came to watch the video, not read the senseless bitching by people who own nothing more than an old beat up honda civic cuz they think they know how to drive a ferrari based on their experience in need for speed.💡
 
It's probably because it's the best looking track in the game.

Turn 10 did the same thing with Forza 3. Every time FM3 was previewed it was that mountain track (Forget it's name). And when you play the game, you noticed that the graphics on that particular track were better than all other tracks.
By judging from videos, the mountain track in Forza 3 looks like crap IMO. Good graphics, yes, but not one bit realistic looking I think. You can tell right away it's not a real life location. The same can be said about High Speed ring in GT5P as well.

This on the other hand, looks realistic in my eyes:
wsscd3.jpg
 
Small to you perhaps. Unless they allow us to remove the driver from the cockpit view, I don't want to drive that 458 Italia in GT5. That's my opinion.

I understand your opinion, and I too would like a more animations for different hand positions on the wheel. It isn't ideal, but there's no (realistic) way PD could accurately animate the gear change, and still account for sudden wheel direction change, without complicated multiple animations. It's either this, or keep the hands fixed, and hitting imaginary paddles as in the SHIFT video posted before, which in my opinion is far, far worse!

I've seen that, yes, it's flawed, but it looks much much better than GT. There needs to be more animations, but please give me a break with the whole if you want this done properly, you'd have to wait until X, it's getting really old!
Just stop making excuses. It's crappy and unrealistic, and needs to be corrected. End of story.

Fixing things takes work, which equates to time, which equates to..... waiting! I'll give you a break, but I'm sure there's much to be done that is higher on the priority list. As for your preference for imaginary paddles... :D

I think sometimes people expect far too much from a videogame, which unlike real life, have a finite number of fixed scripts/actions. Just as there's no way to get around the manual shift lag in GT5P, there isn't a (viable) way to get around this. Get over it, move on!
 
Last edited:
Some of you really need to get out more if a shifting animation in GT5 can give you an aneurysm. I came to watch the video, not read the senseless bitching by people who own nothing more than an old beat up honda civic cuz they think they know how to drive a ferrari based on their experience in need for speed.💡



Couldn't agree with you more! There will always be nit pickers, i think that's how they get off!!!


:grumpy:
 
It's probably because it's the best looking track in the game.

Turn 10 did the same thing with Forza 3. Every time FM3 was previewed it was that mountain track (Forget it's name). And when you play the game, you noticed that the graphics on that particular track were better than all other tracks.

It doesn't necessarely have to be a better tracks than the rest. It just may have more things to show than other tracks, which is why it's the preferred track.

By judging from videos, the mountain track in Forza 3 looks like crap IMO. Good graphics, yes, but not one bit realistic looking I think. You can tell right away it's not a real life location.

Asuming you are talking about Monserrat... I suggest you to take a look at pictures of it. Otherwise, I'll keep my mouth shut.
 
Turn 10 accepted That mountain track best looking track in forza 3.Forza 3 engine shows ıts power wıth thıs track.I don't think there will be same situation in gt5..All GT Track can be same quality coz Gt5 developing by NASA(PD) :)
one more thing kazunori doesnt accept difference between tracks.At least they wil develop same structure.
 
Paddles shift animation... just sucks :yuck: TOTALLY unreal. I've driven a Modena F1, and there is NO WAY that you have to move all your hand to just touch the paddles. I hope that was the same build we saw months ago... :guilty:
Oh well, best not buy it then... What is it you want? Should they have, as already mentioned, animations for all the various positions the hand could be in and the way they hands could move? Should the animations be specific to each wheel ineach car? How relevant is it to the actual driving simulation aspect? For me, not very.

Even though I prefer using hood or bumper cam, when I do use the cockpit view, the animation of the hands is the last thing I focus on. Having said that, people will need things to argue and nitpick about... I can just imagine the fury as people drive with manual gears and stare in horror as the driver animates his hand despite you being several seconds off changing a gear because you want to hold the revs. Must be terrible for you.

Small to you perhaps. Unless they allow us to remove the driver from the cockpit view, I don't want to drive that 458 Italia in GT5. That's my opinion.
Don't want to, but will. So, why bother spitting out your dummy?
 
Last edited:
Back