NFL General Discussion

Both of my teams lost today. After having little success this playoff season, I might have to cut my losses and pick Indy for the big one.

The AFC Championship was a great game. It was really up for grabs until the bitter end.

Wow, the Colts are just going to steamroll the Bears. STEAMROLL. The Bears are the worst Super Bowl team since the Steelers or Seahawks last year and before that I don't even know.

I'd give big props to Lovie Smith if he plays Brian Griese. He'd go into my person hall of fame.

I'm really dreading hearing about two black head coaches in the Super Bowl for two weeks. Literally there isn't a single person in the universe, dead, alive or otherwise who cares.

I'm 1/2 for last week, but it's the one I really wanted.

Peyton Manning in the superbowl. And he goes through Brady in the championship game to get there... and he does it on a clutch performance setting a record for biggest comeback... oh man what a great game!

Colts FTW!

Where did the bears come from? They were hibernating recently and suddenly the saints seem to have woken them up. They showed up to that game on both offense and defense, something you rarely see from them.

I may never get the image of Drew Brees looking suicidal on the sidelines while the snow piles up on him. That was a tough loss for the saints for sure.

Sports Illustrated
Of the guys I've covered regularly in recent years, what's remarkable is the three players who stick out for their interest in constantly getting better and doing only what's best for the team. All three played this weekend. Manning. Tom Brady. Brian Urlacher. They love the game, respect the game, work at the game and treat other players with respect. It's what we all should be teaching our children, not that Reggie Bush crap we saw Sunday ... the pointing and taunting.

I'm a 49-year-old softie. I wanted to see Manning get to the Super Bowl for a very simple reason. It's absurd that he's been labeled as a choker. Patently absurd. He played a couple of poor games in the muck and mire of Foxboro against one of the best teams of all time. Big deal. Everybody else has lost to the Patriots over the last six years too. On Sunday, he led six second-half drives, five of which went for scores. The drives: 76 yards, 76, 67, 59, and 80. Against the mighty Patriots. And now he's got a three-game winning streak over them in the last 15 months. Good for him.

Biggest comeback of all time in a championship game. That means that when the stakes were highest and the situation grim, Manning came through with a record-breaking performance. How you can lump one of the best quarterbacks, a guaranteed hall-of-famer, in with Rex Grossman is totally beyond me. All I can say is that you must not watch much football.

amazing game. I was ready to change the channel before half-time. Colts to go. I like the bears, but they're young and have time; Manning needs to get this chip off his shoulder.

Parcells retired today. I have mix feelings over it.

Grossman and Manning are two ultimate choke artists. The final score could be 6-3.
Biggest comeback of all time in a championship game. That means that when the stakes were highest and the situation grim, Manning came through with a record-breaking performance. How you can lump one of the best quarterbacks, a guaranteed hall-of-famer, in with Rex Grossman is totally beyond me. All I can say is that you must not watch much football.
I agree with Danoff here. Manning is a great quarterback who occasionally has a bad game (as they all do). Grossman is a mediocre quarterback who occasionally has a great game.

Chicago's season is mostly due to their defense. Their biggest weakness has been Grossman himself, but Lovie Smith has stuck with him.

On the other hand, Indy's biggest weakness this season has been their defense, and Manning would have just looked better had they stepped up more often.

Recently both Grossman and Indy's D have stepped it up. I believe the winner of the Super Bowl will be determined by which one steps it up the most. It is possible that Chicago's defense can stop Manning, but if Grossman can't get the scores it won't matter. It is also possible that Manning can figure out Chicago's D, but if Indy's D doesn't stop Chicago it won't matter.

This Super Bowl will be a game of who shows up more, Grossman or Indy's D. If neither do then I thiink that it is likely that it will be a matter of kickers winning the game, and these two kickers are two I would love to watch go at it.

So, as I see it Manning's choking (or lack of) will not be a factor because he will play extremely well, as he always does. If anyone at Indy chokes it is their offensive line, because every time I he is accused of choking that is where I see the breakdown. I don't care how good a QB is, if blitzs reach you regularly you are going to have a bad game. It isn't that Manning chokes, it is that defenses step up to the challenge of stopping the Colts.

Unfortunately the quarterback position is routinely judged on number of wins rather than quality of play. In this case, the category is even narrowed down to "number of wins in the post season".

I don't totally know why QB's are judged by the performance of their team. I can see some minor arguments for it, like "leadership" or the fact that the QB is the first guy to touch the ball on each snap. But clearly teams have done well despite bad QB's, and some teams with good QB's have done badly... so I don't think it's fair to judge that position by the team's performance alone.

Actually, I think in the Manning case it is just the media's desire to compare him to Brady, and then ignore the facts.

Don't tell me I'm the first one sober enough to congratulate the Colts, Tony Dungy and Peyton Manning on their Super Bowl victory. At the begining of the season I didn't think that the Colts had the juice to make it to the Superbowl, let alone win the damned thing--my hat's off to them.
I think another tip of the hat should go to Manning because--despite what he said during his post game press-conference--looked totally stressed out during the course of the game. And when there the clock had zero seconds remaining in the game, he didn't look happy. It was more like relief!
Finally, what can you say about T. Dungy? As a Buccaneer fan he was my favorite coach--I mean, the man brought a sense of respectabilty to a team the was the NFL's laughing stock for more than two decades! I was saddened whne he got canned and was hire by the Colts. But I quickly recovered when the Bucanneers won the SuperBowl the following year. Needless to say, I thought that Dungy would get shipped off to another team if he couldn't lead Manning and the Colts to the Big Show--that's the way the NFL is. But it turns out that he did and the Colts won. Sorry Lovie, maybe next year--if you can find a quarterback.

Rex Grossman deserved the MVP, for the Colts anyway, he lost the game for the Bears more than anybody won it for the Colts.

Granted, but Peyton is now officially the best QB of all-time. Freakin' brilliant.

Grossman played like grossman has played all year (with the exception of the first 4-5 games). He threw interceptions, he fumbled snaps, he ran backward 50 yards for sacks, he heaved the ball in the air blindly, and he completed some difficult passes.

The bears team that showed up against the colts in the superbowl was the same bears team we've been watching all year. The defense was quite tough, the offense was lousy, and the special teams were... well... special.

The colt's defense gave up basically 1 play the entire game, and it set up a TD. The colt's special teams gave up 1 play and it was a TD. That's basically it for chicago that entire game.

Manning on the otherhand picked apart a very good chicago team. He was more effective at it against chicago than he was agains the ravens (which makes me think the raven's defense was better than chicago). He made chicago respect the pass, and that opened up the running game in a big way. There's a reason why two random dudes in the Indy backfield can carve up big games - and there's a reason why the Edge is having trouble in Arizona this year. Indy's passing attack keeps the defense occupied. Chicago relied heavily on stopping manning, and that meant the colts could dominate the running game (and they still didn't even stop the passing attack).

The Colt's defense on the otherhand relied heavily on stopping the run (because they knew Grossman wasn't a problem). They did that by bringing their safeties up to help out. It meant that when they did let a running back through, he was going to go for 50 yards - but it wasn't going to happen often.

Chicago might have lost the game at the coaching position though. I saw no adjustments on defense by chicago (what can you do? strong passing, strong running = dead). But more importantly I saw no adjustments on offense by chicago.

The colts were basically daring chicago to throw the ball the entire game, and they kept running it. I think lovie played the game a little too close to the vest. He needed to go ahead and let grossman try to win the game. The defense was occupied with the run, so grossman would have to step up. He didn't get much of a chance because the play calling was mostly run. I think lovie was counting on wearing down the colt's D - but you're not going to wear them down when they're almost never on the feild.

Decent game, much less competetive than the last two playoff games from the colts. I think the Ravens were their toughest post-season matchup. The patriots caught a few lucky breaks that put them in the lead, but the fact that the colts could overcome it is a testimate to the fact that they're a much better team. The ravens kept the game close the entire time.

Did you hear about this news guys:

Source: Wembley Stadium

Dolphins to host Giants at Wembley Stadium

The Miami Dolphins will host the New York Giants at London’s Wembley Stadium in the first NFL regular-season game to be played outside of North America, National Football League Commissioner ROGER GOODELL announced today.

Speaking in Miami two days before Super Bowl XLI, Commissioner Goodell said the game will be played on Sunday, October 28 – in Week 8 of the 2007 season – and will kick off at 1:00 PM ET (6:00 PM local time).

NFL owners voted in October to play up to two games outside of the United States every year for the next five years, with the series kicking off with a single game in 2007. London was named last month as the site of that game, with the new Wembley – due to open later this year – now confirmed as the venue.

“The international popularity of the NFL grows every year,” said Goodell in announcing the teams and stadium for the game. “That interest will be seen as the far corners of the world watch Super Bowl this Sunday. That is a fascination we will build upon. London and its international stature adds to the impact of the game.”

The Giants-Dolphins game will be shown live in the United States on FOX-TV. Both teams will have a bye scheduled for the following week.

The Dolphins and Giants are two of the most recognizable teams in the NFL, with four Super Bowl wins between them. In 1972, Miami became the only team in history to post an undefeated season on its way to winning Super Bowl VII with an overall 17-0 record. The Dolphins successfully defended their title the next year. The Giants have been NFL champions on six occasions, including victories in Super Bowls XXI and XV following the 1986 and 1990 seasons.

“The Dolphins are proud to be a part of such a historic occasion,” said Miami owner H. WAYNE HUIZENGA. “We were one of the first NFL teams to play in the United Kingdom with our American Bowl appearance in London in 1988. Dolphins games always have been among the most popular NFL telecasts in England. We have a great following there, including fan clubs throughout the country. We look forward to playing in front of our overseas fans, as well as our U.S. supporters who will make the trip overseas.”

The Giants owners were similarly enthused about the historic game: “We are looking forward to bringing our team to London, which has long been a center of attention and enthusiasm for the NFL overseas dating back to the league’s first game there in 1983,” said JOHN MARA, president and chief executive officer of the Giants. “Playing in London in late October means our fans there will see a midseason contest. It will signal the beginning of the second half of the season when teams begin their playoff run.”

Giants Chairman and Executive Vice President STEVE TISCH cited the game as one more step in the growth of the NFL internationally. “The NFL over the past 25 years has become a fixture for sports fans globally,” said Tisch. “First under PETE ROZELLE, then with the direction of PAUL TAGLIABUE, and now under Commissioner Goodell, our league has taken advantage of the popularity of the NFL on a worldwide basis to reach fans beyond our borders. There can be no greater commitment by our league than to play a regular-season game internationally.”

The Mayor of London, KEN LIVINGSTONE, said the city is excited to be hosting the game. “We are very pleased about having teams of the caliber of the Dolphins and Giants coming to London,” said Livingstone. “We are looking forward to giving them a memorable experience. We are expecting nearly 10,000 American fans to travel to London to watch the game as well as people from Europe. There will be many millions of TV viewers in the United States alone, so it will be a great opportunity to showcase London to new visitors and for people to see the way we uniquely enjoy our sport.

“After London’s success in winning the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, our aim has been to bring to Londoners the best of all sports. The Tour de France, which will start in London later this year, and now the NFL is a great step towards this.”

Wembley Stadium will open this year, resuming its position as the home of English soccer, as well as the site of other major sporting events and music concerts. The old Wembley, closed in 2000, hosted its first NFL preseason game in 1983 and eight NFL American Bowl games from 1986-93.

“It is an honour to have been chosen as the host venue for the first regular-season NFL game outside of North America,” said Wembley Stadium Managing Director ALEX HORNE. “Wembley Stadium is known around the world for having staged some of the biggest and most important events in sport and entertainment history and it is great to see American football return here. We hope that this fantastic event will help to bring the drama of the sport to a much wider audience and showcase London and the magic of Wembley Stadium to the US and the rest of the world.”

The NFL achieved a record average attendance of 67,738 during the 2006 regular season, with more than 97 per cent of games sold out.

Super Bowl XLI takes place in Dolphin Stadium, Miami, on Sunday, with the Chicago Bears taking on the Indianapolis Colts. The 2007 NFL regular season will kick off early in September.

Cool. The Patriots are playing the Seahawks in China, too. But that's just preseason and I heard that both teams will be using Chinese kickers. Maybe I didn't get the joke, but that should be pretty cool.

Too bad for Londoners that they only get to see two crap teams compete.

Cool. The Patriots are playing the Seahawks in China, too. But that's just preseason and I heard that both teams will be using Chinese kickers. Maybe I didn't get the joke, but that should be pretty cool.

:mad: *goes off to prepare angry mob*

Giants will not be insulted in such a way, lets see any foreign American Football playing team beat them! :mischievous:

At least it shows Wembley can host a full range of events.

Why do the Dolphins have such a huge following in London?

I just hope the stadium is ready, and I hope none of my Dolphins get stabbed or something.

I cant wait for the season. I'm anxious to see how Wade Phillips will handle the team and if Tony Romo is really the phenom people made him out to be.

Back