On which plattform do you think/do you want GT6 to be released?

• Thread starter ch3ng
  • 636 comments

PS3 or PS4?

• I want a PS3 release, but think it'll be on PS4

Votes: 167 28.1%
  • I want a PS3 release and think it'll be released on PS3

Votes: 200 33.7%
  • I want a PS4 release and think it'll be released on PS4.

Votes: 141 23.7%
  • I want a PS4 release, but think it'll be on PS3

Votes: 42 7.1%
  • I don't care

Votes: 44 7.4%

• Total voters
In the long run the PS4 would be better.

And in the very long run, PS5 even better ;).

There will always be better hardware, but Kaz' attitude of constantly blaming that as a barrier on his quest for his dream to be realized shouldn't be echoed by fans of the game. No matter how powerful the hardware, at some level, every developer needs to make sacrifices. At least with a PS3 title, they know where the system limits lie, and know which sacrifices can even be made.

Considering the amount of time it took GT5 to be released, something tells me 6 will be reserved for PS4.

Kaz also mentioned that Gran Turismo 6 shouldn't take as long as Gran Turismo 5 took to produce because the jump from console to console usually makes the production time a lot longer. Gran Turismo 5 took 5 years to make. Assuming that Kaz wasn't lying when he said that Gran Turismo 6 was confirmed in production shortly after Gran Turismo 5's release, they have had about 3.5 years of Gran Turismo 6. I would expect it in about 1-1.5 years if PD are going to keep their word.

And in the very long run, PS5 even better ;).

There will always be better hardware, but Kaz' attitude of constantly blaming that as a barrier on his quest for his dream to be realized shouldn't be echoed by fans of the game. No matter how powerful the hardware, at some level, every developer needs to make sacrifices. At least with a PS3 title, they know where the system limits lie, and know which sacrifices can even be made.

They will also achieve more sales with a PS3 release as well, considering the PS4's price when it debuts.

ezejx.jpg

Is that sort of insane detail 'nice' and 'cool' when you're taking close up photos like that? Maybe. Is it necessary for the overall enjoyment of the game, bearing in mind you will never see that sort of detail in game? Not in the slightest. They spent far too long detailing cars to extreme levels that nobody would see in the main part of the game and so wasted a lot of their time.

If you have the time and huge resources to model cars to such extreme detail and still crank out a large number of them by all means go for it but PD clearly did not, and the game suffered for it.

Even though they did spend a seemingly preposterous and costly amount of effort and money into modeling the cars with such insane detail, the game does noticeably suffer from lack of features. Sure, it has its A-Spec and seasonals, and I'm not saying the game can't be enjoyed. I had an absolute blast playing through the seasonals with an underpowered car, trying to catch the leader.

However, the game is still stunted by a noticeable lack of content, especially when compared
to something like GT4. This may have been, if not avoided, then partially alleviated by giving people the option to actually see the glorious modelling and design present in this game. Why go through such hard work and attention to detail if you're not going to let people see it? Has anyone, anyone seen the backseat belt buckles in a single premium car? Hands up? I sure as heck haven't, but apparently they've been modelled. I'm sure at least a few of you remember the months before the game was released, waiting for the announcements, and there was a promotional picture comparing an actual photograph of a Challenger's backseat and the same shot in-game. The dualtone seat covers and belt buckles were all lovingly modelled. Why not give people the option to actually see this, and shoot it with the game's powerful camera tool, instead of forcing clever individuals to discover a mild glitch that forces the camera inside the car? This absolutely ludicrous level of detail and finish, while not unwelcome, does not need to be improved upon, and does not need to be such a focus when the lack of working resources within Polyphony Digital restrict its ability to produce more content.

Second, I think the audio is fine. I hear people complaining about the car sounds constantly, and half the time I struggle to figure out why. Now, I know some, usually standard cars have much of a "standard" sounding exhaust note, and often it's very disappointing. However, on many of the premium vehicles, I found the sound to be absolutely wonderful! Do any of you own a set of headphones? With my cheap-o, 60 dollar Turtle Beach's, I can hear all the wonderful roar of the Lamborghini's, the sceam of the Ferrari's; even the Murcielago has that high-rpm waver, where the engine sounds like it ripples a bit on upshift, that I heard on the Top Gear review of the LP640. The sound design is, in a lot of cases excellent, so I am often confused when confronted with numerous complaints about it.

As for PS3 or PS4 being the console of choice, I have to side with PS3. Sure, the next generation is all but guaranteed to be vastly more powerful than its predecessor, but like I said before, what this game does not need are improved graphics, what it needs is content. Perhaps a slight physics rework, is in order, as it can always improve, but to have it be kept within the confines of the PS3's capabilities I think would be ideal. The huge success of GT5 brought many new people to the playstation field, a good number buying the system solely for the game, myself included. Subsequently, I purchased roughly 10 more games for it, and made purchases on the PSN store for things entirely unrelated to GT5, bringing more revenue to Sony. I think it would be a proverbial slap in the face of many of these new fans to up and announce its release on the PS4, just 2-3 years after they had just bought the PS3.

On a more personal note, I recently bought a $1400 gaming laptop from Asus (far, far more powerful than my PS3, by the way), and I can hardly justify buying yet another console when I still have 3 or 4 games on the PS3 that I haven't even played yet. I think a PS3 release would be more in Polyphony's interest, and perhaps further in the future (5-6 years), a real, highly advanced GT7 to be released on the up and coming PS4.

They will also achieve more sales with a PS3 release as well, considering the PS4's price when it debuts.

I thinks that's the main point of the discussion. I think they know that, with the current financial crisis, PS4 cant be released any time soon. And even if they do release it soon, people wont buy it because at the time of the launch, it will be too expensive. So, if few people buy the PS4, even fewer will buy the games.

Besides that, lets take a minute to think about some other stuff. Those gaming platforms need to be a major improvement over the previous generations and introduce some new technical gadgets to distinguish their product from the monotony installed. Sony launched the PS2 with DVD when the common CD become accessible to everybody and did the same with the PS3 and BR when the DVD became accessible to everybody. But, is the BR right now accessible to everybody?! 95% of the people I know dont have any sort of BR player or recorder! BR still has a long way to rule. Plus, TV manufacturers are now introducing TV's with higher resolutions than the current 1080p. The next generation of consoles have to explore that tech, but if the TV's aren't still on the market, they cant even test the new console prototypes properly.

I really believe the PS4 wont be on the market in the next 3 years, and because of that, I think there is a higher probability of the GT6 be launched in the PS3. Of course, this is just me assuming a lot of stuff. If, for instance, PD takes again 5 years to develope the game, it will almost certainly be launched in the PS4. And, if that happens, I'm very sorry but I will not buy a new console and, almost for sure a new TV, just to play GT6...

Kaz also mentioned that Gran Turismo 6 shouldn't take as long as Gran Turismo 5 took to produce because the jump from console to console usually makes the production time a lot longer. Gran Turismo 5 took 5 years to make. Assuming that Kaz wasn't lying when he said that Gran Turismo 6 was confirmed in production shortly after Gran Turismo 5's release, they have had about 3.5 years of Gran Turismo 6. I would expect it in about 1-1.5 years if PD are going to keep their word.

This.

Do you think 1 -1.5 years if PS3 or PS4?
If you think PS4 I'm afraid you are way too optimistic. PS4 not even announced yet.

Do you think 1 -1.5 years if PS3 or PS4?
If you think PS4 I'm afraid you are way too optimistic. PS4 not even announced yet.

But lets assume it's announced on next year's e3 and released one a half year afterwards (xmas 2014). That way GT6 could be a console seller.

Now add delays and ps4 is released in June 2015, gt6 June 2020

I hope GT6 is on the PS4. I got my PS3 just so I could play Gran Turismo and ended up having a long wait for GT5. I'm looking forward to GT6, but if it ends up on the PS4 I will not be buying it. The PS3 despite it's limitations is still very good hardware and it wasn't cheap to buy. The 360 is cheaper and slightly older, yet Microsoft believe it will last until 2015, so I can see the PS3 lasting till 2015 as well.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news for those PS3 hopefuls, but it isn't going to happen. Or at least, it shouldn't.

The time line just doesn't make sense. Some people have convinced themselves that the PS3 is going to remain top dog until 2016, as Sony stated the console would have a "10-year life cycle". Wrong. All Sony was saying with that statement was that they will continue to support the PS3 for a decade, much like they did the PS2.

Sony will launch the PS4 Q4 2013 if they're smart, Q4 2014 at the latest. But as Nintendo is moving for Q4 2012, Sony and Microsoft aren't going to let them have more than a year unchallenged on the market.

It's not like Sony has been twiddling their thumbs since the launch of the PS3 and now they've decided to throw together a console last minute. They know what the target specs and system architecture are going to be. In all likelihood, they have development kits in the hands of first-party developers so they can start cutting their teeth in the new ecosystem.

Right now, we know very little. However, I think the best way to look at how the future will play out is to look at the past. So let’s just look at some dates and figures for a minute.

Time between GT1 and GT2: 718 days (2 years)
Time between GT2 and GT3: 504 days (1 year, 4 months)
Time between GT3 and GT4: 1340 days (3 years, 8 months)
Time between GT4 and GT5:P: 1080 days (2 years, 11 months)
Time between GT5:P and GT5: 1077 days (2 years, 11 months)

Now, I'd like to look at the launch of each generation of console and the date before a Gran Turismo title appears:

Playstation 1 and GT1: 1116 days (3 years, 2 weeks)
Playstation 2 and GT3: 399 days (1 year, 1 month)
Playstation 3 and GT5:P: 397 days (1 year, 1 month)

Now, looking at the last two GT games, GT5:P and GT5, they both took about 2 years, 11 months to reach store shelves. So, if we take that number (2 years, 11 months) and add it to the release date of GT5, we arrive at the beginning of our “window”.

Time from GT5 + 2 years, 11 months: Late October, 2013 (Q4 2013)

Now, we’ve seen referenced above that for at least the last two console generations, a Gran Turismo title has appeared no later than 1 year, 1 month from the launch of the console. So if by going by my prediction of a Q4 2013 console launch, that gives Polyphony Digital a window roughly between October 2013 and November 2014 to launch a new Gran Turismo title. Given the sheer scope of the game, the new level of graphics that will be achievable, and Yamauchi's penchant for insane levels of detail, it isn’t out of the question that Polyphony may need a little more time to hone the game before release.

But given the time lines, it just doesn't make any sense for Sony and Polyphony to release another iteration of GT for the PS3. At best, it gets maybe one year to shine on the PS3 if the PS4 doesn't show until 2014. But if they launch the PS4 in Q4 2013, why would they have their marquee racing franchise release on what will essentially be a lame-duck console. All people will want to be hearing about will be the PS4 and PS4 games, they won't really care about GT6 on PS3.

Not to mention, if they really are devoting the resources to putting out another GT on the PS3, they are only pushing back the date for the first appearance of the GT series on the PS4, which using the development times above, means GT6 in Q4 2013, GT7 in late-Q3 2016.

If the rumours of a GT game for the PS Vita are true, I just don't see where they have the manpower to make it work. I think Sony is going to want to see a GT game for PS4 within its first year on the market. They learned their lesson with the PS3 about launching a console without any marquee franchises.

So right now, I think Polyphony is going full steam on two fronts, GT6 for PS4 and GT for PS Vita. I mean, given the overall lack of DLC content, it really seems they've got their resources focused elsewhere right now, and I just don't see it being a future PS3 iteration of the game.

Just my opinion :)

November 2014 for GT6 on PS4 = Bloody late.

They better prepare themselves to loose a good amount of customers in the next Sim racing PC generation and new Forza titles.

I thinks that's the main point of the discussion. I think they know that, with the current financial crisis, PS4 cant be released any time soon. And even if they do release it soon, people wont buy it because at the time of the launch, it will be too expensive. So, if few people buy the PS4, even fewer will buy the games.

Besides that, lets take a minute to think about some other stuff. Those gaming platforms need to be a major improvement over the previous generations and introduce some new technical gadgets to distinguish their product from the monotony installed. Sony launched the PS2 with DVD when the common CD become accessible to everybody and did the same with the PS3 and BR when the DVD became accessible to everybody. But, is the BR right now accessible to everybody?! 95% of the people I know dont have any sort of BR player or recorder! BR still has a long way to rule. Plus, TV manufacturers are now introducing TV's with higher resolutions than the current 1080p. The next generation of consoles have to explore that tech, but if the TV's aren't still on the market, they cant even test the new console prototypes properly.

I really believe the PS4 wont be on the market in the next 3 years, and because of that, I think there is a higher probability of the GT6 be launched in the PS3. Of course, this is just me assuming a lot of stuff. If, for instance, PD takes again 5 years to develope the game, it will almost certainly be launched in the PS4. And, if that happens, I'm very sorry but I will not buy a new console and, almost for sure a new TV, just to play GT6...
A 2015 PS4 release and at the same time GT6 release for the PS4, acting as the first Sony exclusive game for the PS4. That would get some mad sales.

I think GT6 will be on the PS3, as GT and GT2 were PS, GT3 and GT4 were PS2...
And I hope it's on the PS3...

SimonK
PS4 will be before 2015.

This. I think the new generation will be released 2013 or 2014. We have a lot of rumours and leaks. If PD or Sony want a GT6 PS3 release they have to hurry if the rumours are true.

"Poll Options
PS3 or PS4?
I want a PS3 release, but think it'll be on PS4
I want a PS3 release and think it'll be released on PS3
I want a PS4 release and think it'll be released on PS4.
I want a PS4 release, but think it'll be on PS3
I don't care."

Strange options. Which exclude many others. Such as:
I don't care,but think it'll be on PS4
I don't care,but think it'll be on PS3
I don't care, and I don't know which it will be on
I want a PS3 release, but I don't know which it will be on
I want a PS4 release, but I don't know which it will be on
I want to care but I can't until I know which it will be on
I want a PS3 release, but think I'll change my mind when I see it
I demand a PS4 release or If not I will say goodbye to GT and never buy it.
I demand a PS3 release or If not I will say goodbye to GT and never buy it.
Vita or nothing
Vita
Neither
Neither including Vita
Neither and I don't care.
PS3, but only with Vita
PS4.....

I have spent some of my time reading through stuff in the actual playstation news, and I read in one of the articles, which was an interview, that Sony haven't even started work on the playstation 4 yet and they are focusing on the vita. They also stated that the playstation 3 is only halfway through its life cycle.
Keeping this in the Grand Turismo 6 theme, I'm not keen on waiting another 5 years for the next title. I believe they can suck a lot more out of the system they have now with different engines for the game (thinking of what frostbite 2 did for BF3)
Just my opinion!

I want it on ps3 as I am getting older and just can't keep buying consoles i only bought the ps3 two years ago just for gt I can't keep doing it now I want one last game to finish on the best gran turismo ever

Right now the poll says 66% want a PS3 release while 28% want a PS4 release

I want a PS3 release for a variety of reasons. I use to want a PS4 release but decided against it. Its unlikely PD can take real advantage of new PS4 hardware if GT is released within 24 months of it's launch. So that means a Holiday 2015 release for a proper PS4 GT6.

Right now the poll says 66% want a PS3 release while 28% want a PS4 release

I want a PS3 release for a variety of reasons. I use to want a PS4 release but decided against it. Its unlikely PD can take real advantage of new PS4 hardware if GT is released within 24 months of it's launch. So that means a Holiday 2015 release for a proper PS4 GT6.

I'm against it because at this point with PS3 it won't be a wallet killer with PS4 well it would.

As for whatever GT is on PS4 the #1 thing PD needs to do is set the gold standard like they did with GT3 and even GT1 before it. I still feel like that's where they lost most people at.

JoRdY105
I have spent some of my time reading through stuff in the actual playstation news, and I read in one of the articles, which was an interview, that Sony haven't even started work on the playstation 4 yet and they are focusing on the vita. They also stated that the playstation 3 is only halfway through its life cycle.
Keeping this in the Grand Turismo 6 theme, I'm not keen on waiting another 5 years for the next title. I believe they can suck a lot more out of the system they have now with different engines for the game (thinking of what frostbite 2 did for BF3)
Just my opinion!

The interview must be very old. Sony already said they work on PS4 games and a Sony staff has a profil and according to him he works on the PS4. But it gets even better. He edited it but he wrote that he works since 2010 on the PS4.

A new console isn't build in 1-2 years in my opinion.

BlisteredHand
Strange options. Which exclude many others. Such as:
I don't care,but think it'll be on PS4
I don't care,but think it'll be on PS3
I don't care, and I don't know which it will be on
I want a PS3 release, but I don't know which it will be on
I want a PS4 release, but I don't know which it will be on
I want to care but I can't until I know which it will be on
I want a PS3 release, but think I'll change my mind when I see it
I demand a PS4 release or If not I will say goodbye to GT and never buy it.
I demand a PS3 release or If not I will say goodbye to GT and never buy it.
Vita or nothing
Vita
Neither
Neither including Vita
Neither and I don't care.
PS3, but only with Vita
PS4.....

I can't cover every option :(

I want a early PS4 release, and then time for PD to develope a big new GT for PS4
PD can use all the good premium content of GT5 and put it on the new hardware. Can you imagine a premium car with more AA, filters and DX11 effects on a track with the same filters and HD textures??... awesome for sure.
The real improve i want to see on the next release is a real IA to race with.
GT5 has a lot of good things, but race against CPU is quite boring in my opinion.
Something like that will give us a GT6 with 300 cars, with a large number of tracks (all upgradable via DLC) and time for wait for the next release, a real new GT release.

ch3ng
The interview must be very old. Sony already said they work on PS4 games and a Sony staff has a profil and according to him he works on the PS4. But it gets even better. He edited it but he wrote that he works since 2010 on the PS4.

A new console isn't build in 1-2 years in my opinion.

I can't cover every option :(

No the interview was just round the time of the vita release!

JoRdY105
No the interview was just round the time of the vita release!

To old. They just didn't want to hurt the Vita and PS3 sells. You can't believe them.

After the E3 2012 they said that games for next gen are in development.The Third Party showed some Next Gen games on PC and some Engine. Next Gen will come before 2016.

I want a early PS4 release, and then time for PD to develope a big new GT for PS4
PD can use all the good premium content of GT5 and put it on the new hardware. Can you imagine a premium car with more AA, filters and DX11 effects on a track with the same filters and HD textures??... awesome for sure.

The real improve i want to see on the next release is a real IA to race with.
GT5 has a lot of good things, but race against CPU is quite boring in my opinion.
Something like that will give us a GT6 with 300 cars, with a large number of tracks (all upgradable via DLC) and time for wait for the next release, a real new GT release.

This. But I think that they can give us more than 400 Premiums or even more with GT6.

To old. They just didn't want to hurt the Vita and PS3 sells. You can't believe them.

After the E3 2012 they said that games for next gen are in development.The Third Party showed some Next Gen games on PC and some Engine. Next Gen will come before 2016.

2016 is too late. 2013 is 100 % the year of the next Xbox. If it is true that the next xbox has the basics of Windows 8 under the hood, then they will release it before christmas 2013. The PS4 will be right behind the competition and probably around christmas 2013 and early 2014. I bet that Sony screw with us western players again and only give the japanes a 2013 release.

The possibility to get a PS3 release is not that small, but PD is the master of letting us wait. I just throw the word "soon" out there to let everybody shiver :nervous:.

Back