Pokémon Games Discussion Thread (Gotta Discuss 'Em All!)

NOOOOOOOOOO! Y U NO DO DIS?!?
Pokemon like Beedrill and Audino are likely holding a protest at HQ about why can't we get their Megas,

and my Triple Battle team is trying to burn it all down for the removal of Triple Battles.

I should pay more attention to when event end dates are announced. Forgot the Munchlax event ended Wednesday, restarted my Moon file yesterday and tried to get it. After patching... wasn't there.

Thankfully, my solution to exclusive events (i.e., non-North American) still works for this mistake (thank you Powersaves.)

I'm playing Pokemon Silver right now and I could do with some advice.

My current team* consists of an Espeon (Level 53), Poliwrath (Level 52), Dragonair (Level 52), Typhlosion (Level 51) and a Skarmory (Level 51). What level should I bring these Pokemon up to so that I can successfully defeat Red? I've tried battling him a few times but I usually only get up to his third Pokemon before all of my Pokemon faint.

Also, would it be worth holding off evolving my Dragonair until it learns Hyper Beam? Dragonair learns it at Level 65, whereas Dragonite learns it at Level 75.

*I had to swap out my Sandslash for a Psyduck as I needed a HM slave.

I'm playing Pokemon Silver right now and I could do with some advice.

My current team* consists of an Espeon (Level 53), Poliwrath (Level 52), Dragonair (Level 52), Typhlosion (Level 51) and a Skarmory (Level 51). What level should I bring these Pokemon up to so that I can successfully defeat Red? I've tried battling him a few times but I usually only get up to his third Pokemon before all of my Pokemon faint.

Also, would it be worth holding off evolving my Dragonair until it learns Hyper Beam? Dragonair learns it at Level 65, whereas Dragonite learns it at Level 75.

*I had to swap out my Sandslash for a Psyduck as I needed a HM slave.
In SoulSilver, Red's ace is lv. 88.

I'd recommend Lv. 80 for the Silver team.

In SoulSilver, Red's ace is lv. 88.

I'd recommend Lv. 80 for the Silver team.
This is his team in Silver, do you still recommend that I bring my Pokemon up to Level 80? That's a lot of Level grinding...

If I were to trade my Mew (Level 50) or Mewto (Level 70) from Pokemon Blue (to replace Espeon), do you think that I could get away with bringing the rest of my team up to Level 60?

This is his team in Silver, do you still recommend that I bring my Pokemon up to Level 80? That's a lot of Level grinding...

If I were to trade my Mew (Level 50) or Mewto (Level 70) from Pokemon Blue (to replace Espeon), do you think that I could get away with bringing the rest of my team up to Level 60?
That Pikachu will sweep your team unless you get them to 75 minimum.

The Pikachu was actually really easy to defeat, it's the third Pokemon that I'm having trouble with. So far, he's used Snorlax and Blastoise as his third Pokemon.

You sure? I mean, Thunder is powerful but its on a Pikachu. Not to mention it lacks the Light Ball. Get something that resists or is immune to electric and Pikachu is hopeless.

@TwinTurbo LM I'd recommend getting your Pokemon in at least the late 60s and early 70s.

The Pikachu was actually really easy to defeat, it's the third Pokemon that I'm having trouble with. So far, he's used Snorlax and Blastoise as his third Pokemon.
Both of which are bulky as heck. Which is why you need to be at 75. Fighting, grass and electric all help.
Edit: @RESHIRAM5 it carries a light ball in HGSS.

Both of which are bulky as heck. Which is why you need to be at 75. Fighting, grass and electric all help.
Edit: @RESHIRAM5 it carries a light ball in HGSS.
He's talking about Silver so, what Red does in HG/SS is totally irrelevant

Thanks for the advice @Obelisk and @RESHIRAM5. Also, would it be better if I were to evolve my Dragonair at Level 55, or wait until Level 65, which is when it learns Hyper Beam?
If you want it early than maybe, Hyper Beam can be a good move to use on some Pokemon like Venusaur who are more open Physical attacks,

Thanks for the advice @Obelisk and @RESHIRAM5. Also, would it be better if I were to evolve my Dragonair at Level 55, or wait until Level 65, which is when it learns Hyper Beam?

I wouldn't bother with hyper beam, especially against bulky types, for guys like pikachu sure, but the stats that Dragonite brings to the table and for wanting to fight red as soon as you do, compared to dragonair...it's too much to pass up on.

I wouldn't bother with hyper beam, especially against bulky types, for guys like pikachu sure, but the stats that Dragonite brings to the table and for wanting to fight red as soon as you do, compared to dragonair...it's too much to pass up on.
The only Pokemon that won't take much damage from Hyper Beam are Snorlax (due to its HP but you have Poliwrath for that) and Blastoise.

The rest are pretty open to Physcial Attacks. Not to mrnyion none of them know any Rock type moves so the only move to watch out for is Blizzard. However even though the stats are great Dragonite still won't be able to fight well in the 50s.

The only Pokemon that won't take much damage from Hyper Beam are Snorlax (due to its HP but you have Poliwrath for that) and Blastoise.

If you read my post you'll see how I say bulky types wont be all that harmed by hyper beam, and you've named those very bulky types I was talking about :D

The rest are pretty open to Physcial Attacks. Not to mrnyion none of them know any Rock type moves so the only move to watch out for is Blizzard. However even though the stats are great Dragonite still won't be able to fight well in the 50s.

If you read my post you'll see how I say how for guys like pikachu it's wonderful!!! I also mean everyone that wasn't a bulky by default :D

Dragonite will still be much better than dragonair, I'm not telling him to fight in the 50s that's just dumb.

If you read my post you'll see how I say bulky types wont be all that harmed by hyper beam, and you've named those very bulky types I was talking about :D

but his team mainly consisting of bulky Pokemon, only 2 are...

Hyper Beam helps to deal with 4 out of 6 of his team members, I'd say that is a great mathematical advantage, especially since he had Poliwrath which can defeat Snorlax. So that just leaves Blastoise

but his team mainly consisting of bulky Pokemon, only 2 are...

Hyper Beam helps to deal with 4 out of 6 of his team members, I'd say that is a great mathematical advantage, especially since he had Poliwrath which can defeat Snorlax. So that just leaves Blastoise

Yes but unless dragonite/dragonair is doing all the KO work for the other ~70%, then I see no point. Especially when it's a recharge move. Also Dragonite/Dragonair could easily defeat blastoise too, if set up with the numerous electric type moves it can learn. So realistically you don't need hyperbeam if you make it an all purpose fighter, which is why dragonite/dragonair is such a great pokemon in regular gameplay.

Also I never said his team mainly consisted of bulky, you read into that yourself for some reason.

Yes but unless dragonite/dragonair is doing all the KO work for the other ~70%, then I see no point. Especially when it's a recharge move.
Dragonite has really good stats and the only fragile one that can do massive damage is Espeon but Espeon is extremely fragile. Dragonite should be fine to recharge against the non-bulky ones.

Also Dragonite/Dragonair could easily defeat blastoise too, if set up with the numerous electric type moves it can learn
Blastoise has enough in it survive one electric move especially if its entering underleveled, then all Blastoise needs to do is hit the Blizzard and R.I.P Dragonite

Also I never said his team mainly consisted of bulky, you read into that yourself for some reason.
I wouldn't bother with hyper beam, especially against bulky types,
While you never specified the numbers, just because there is bulky Pokemon, doesn't mean there's no point in Hyper Beam.

Dragonite has really good stats and the only fragile one that can do massive damage is Espeon but Espeon is extremely fragile. Dragonite should be fine to recharge against the non-bulky ones.

Blastoise has enough in it survive one electric move especially if its entering underleveled, then all Blastoise needs to do is hit the Blizzard and R.I.P Dragonite

While you never specified the numbers, just because there is bulky Pokemon, doesn't mean there's no point in Hyper Beam.

To me there is, rechargeable or charged moves are a waste in most circumstances because there are moves even back then that were decent enough. If he actually waits until 70 or mid 70s he can easily two shot a bulky Blastoise with thunderbolt or thunder punch or. Blizzard's accuracy rate is low

To me there is, rechargeable or charged moves are a waste in most circumstances because there are moves even back then that were decent enough. If he actually waits until 70 or mid 70s he can easily two shot a bulky Blastoise with thunderbolt or thunder punch or. Blizzard's accuracy rate is low
70% is still a little to risky to say, it'll just miss. Especially since Thunderboly and Thunder Punch are Special moves which isn't Dragonites strong suit.

Well, if Dragonite manages to KO a Pokemon with Hyper Beam he can switch out before Dragonite has to recharge so he doesn't have to have that problem.

Last edited:
70% is still a little to risky to say, it'll just miss. Especially since Thunderboly and Thunder are Special moves which isn't Dragonites strong suit.

Well, if Dragonite manages to KO a Pokemon with Hyper Beam he can switch out before Dragonite has to recharge so he doesn't have to have that problem.
If only Hyper Beam had its Gen 1 mechanics.

70% is still a little to risky to say, it'll just miss. Especially since Thunderboly and Thunder Punch are Special moves which isn't Dragonites strong suit.

Sure, but if you set up dragonite to be a versatile pokemon which most people do for regular game play you're not going to want to sit there and have a recharge. If hyperbeam is all you're setting up for then that's different.

Sure, but if you set up dragonite to be a versatile pokemon which most people do for regular game play you're not going to want to sit there and have a recharge. If hyperbeam is all you're setting up for then that's different.
I do agree that a versatile Dragonite is great but I feel like a Hyper Beam user on 4 Pokemon, Poliwrath on Snorlax and the rest all on Blastoise is something that would be better choice for this battle IMO.

I do agree that a versatile Dragonite is great but I feel like a Hyper Beam user on 4 Pokemon, Poliwrath on Snorlax and the rest all on Blastoise is something that would be better choice for this battle IMO.

I'm saying dragonite can be used to sweep though...

I'm saying dragonite can be used to sweep though...
With Blastoise and Snorlax no, if Hyper Beam (and in the case of Blastoise, Electric moves since they'd just 2HKO) can't cut through them no point on using any other move especially since Blastoise uses Blizzard.

Hyper Beam is the move that does the best damage with Dragonite and you can counter the recharge if it KOs by switching.

Off topic: Anyone want to see random Pokemon Battle Revolution battles? I'm trying to train up a bunch of different Pokemon teams.

With Blastoise and Snorlax no, if Hyper Beam (and in the case of Blastoise, Electric moves since they'd just 2HKO) can't cut through them no point on using any other move especially since Blastoise uses Blizzard.

Hyper Beam is the move that does the best damage with Dragonite and you can counter the recharge if it KOs by switching.

Yeah you can, the blizzard isn't likely to hit, you're going to out pace the Blastoise anyways so you should get priority. So that would mean that it only has one chance to hit the blizzard, and that's if it even goes for it first move. Now you could designate a pokemon like jolteon or something as the blastoise destroyer and set up Dragonite/air for hyperbeam sweeper for the other four, but with the potential to sweep five, why pass it up. Unless you want a more interesting fight in game.

Back