Pokémon Games Discussion Thread (Gotta Discuss 'Em All!)

Well I just voluntarily Shiny Hunted for the first time :lol:

This was for a Bagon, as I wanted a second Salamence but wanted someway to tell them apart. I'm making this one a Special Attacker in contrast to my usual one which is a Physical Attacker. Both are meant to Mega Evolve

My Special Attacker (named it Yoshi):

6 HP, 252 Sp. ATK, 252 SPD.

- Draco Meteor
- Hyper Voice
- Flamethrower
- Roost

Which is in contrast to my Physical Attacker (named it Liam jr. way back in Pokemon Platinum):

84 HP, 252 ATK, 84 Sp. DEF, 90 SPD

- Double-Edge
- Facade
- Earthquake
- Roost

I normally don't have set teams when it comes to battling though and often pass and go them whenever I feel like, the exception is my pure Silvally I have now, which I really enjoy playing with a bunch of different Silvally.

If Triple Battles return for Pokemon on the Switch (I hope so much). My Yoshi is going to be main star and do a combo with Greninja and Malamar: Greninja uses Mat Block to protect my Pokemon for the turn, Yoshi uses Draco Meteor and then Malamar uses Topsy Turvey on Yoshi turning the -2 to a +2 :D

Those methods should work. You can chain basically any Pokemon in the game to get 4IV as well. I've heard of the swap breeding method but never tried it myself. I usually get a Ditto from another language and breed with another Pokemon that I caught using the chain method.

The destiny knot works by passing 5IV from both parents. You will have to keep swapping out the parents as better ones come along. Also, if one parent holds and everstone, the nature of all the eggs will be the same as the parent with the everstone. There's also Bottle caps which max out IV's when a Pokemon is level 100 but those Bottle capped stats don't get passed when breeding.

Ok, yeah I've done the everstone method in X and Y to get the best nature possibilities for every Eeveeloution. I didn't really care much about IV's at that point. So now that I know more about it, I really want to do it so I can battle my friends with stronger pokemon and beat them :)

Destiny Knot is acquired. Not to find a Smeargle with Refresh. I've also got to start catching a bunch of Abra's to get different Natures with their ability Synchronize. I hope I can get all the pieces in place to start chain SOSing without needing to look at the internet. I'll be doing that all 10 hours of my flight lol.

Does anyone know how to obtain a smeargle that knows refresh? After some googling it doesn't seem that clear really. I've got one on my copy of X but it doesn't know refresh.

Ok, yeah I've done the everstone method in X and Y to get the best nature possibilities for every Eeveeloution. I didn't really care much about IV's at that point. So now that I know more about it, I really want to do it so I can battle my friends with stronger pokemon and beat them :)

Destiny Knot is acquired. Not to find a Smeargle with Refresh. I've also got to start catching a bunch of Abra's to get different Natures with their ability Synchronize. I hope I can get all the pieces in place to start chain SOSing without needing to look at the internet. I'll be doing that all 10 hours of my flight lol.

Does anyone know how to obtain a smeargle that knows refresh? After some googling it doesn't seem that clear really. I've got one on my copy of X but it doesn't know refresh.
Smergle can learn almost every move in the game. You're meant to use Sketch targeting a Pokemon and Sketch becomes the move the Pokemon last used. (Although Smeargle can't learn Chatter, and while he can learn them, Smeargle can't use Dark Void and Hyperspace Fury as those moves are tied to a Pokemon)

Best way is to get into Double Battles and get Smeargle to partner up with a fast Pokemon that has the move you want Smeargle to learn.

Anyone know who the beach bottle on Route 12 is for?
For a Rising Star in the garbage disposal place on top of Heahea city, it's a random reference to an NPC Gym Trainer in HG/SS.

-------------------------------------------------------

It's been 10 years since Pokemon Diamond & Pearl came out, it got me so nostalgic that I'm playing through Diamond again. This is my team heading to the 2nd Gym:

Prinplup
Luxio
Murkrow

I don't know who else to add, I want to use a Rampardos, Skuntank, Drapion or Toxicroak however with Dialga (as apart of my rule) thrown into the mix, all my Pokemon bar 1 will be weak Ground. It wasn't as bad as my Platinum Team though since I had 4 that were weak to Ice and 2 of them were 4x back then, so not sure if I want to push through this or not.

Hey guys!

Hope everyone had a great Christmas. I kinda ghosted for a while because I was involving myself in a lot of last-minute shopping and the like. Going to be a similar story until the New Year but going to play through to the end on Ultra Sun and finish by at least the first week of January.

@RESHIRAM5 I didn't see your response to me from the other week. I'll let you know when I've gotten to at least the Elite 4, then we can have a wee skirmish with our Pokés.

Hey guys!

Hope everyone had a great Christmas. I kinda ghosted for a while because I was involving myself in a lot of last-minute shopping and the like. Going to be a similar story until the New Year but going to play through to the end on Ultra Sun and finish by at least the first week of January.

@RESHIRAM5 I didn't see your response to me from the other week. I'll let you know when I've gotten to at least the Elite 4, then we can have a wee skirmish with our Pokés.
Ah, I wonder why :lol:. I'll wait until then, hopefully :)

It's been 10 years since Pokemon Diamond & Pearl came out, it got me so nostalgic that I'm playing through Diamond again. This is my team heading to the 2nd Gym:

Prinplup
Luxio
Murkrow

I don't know who else to add, I want to use a Rampardos, Skuntank, Drapion or Toxicroak however with Dialga (as apart of my rule) thrown into the mix, all my Pokemon bar 1 will be weak Ground. It wasn't as bad as my Platinum Team though since I had 4 that were weak to Ice and 2 of them were 4x back then, so not sure if I want to push through this or not.
Can't remember the available D/P/Pt pokémon extensively enough to state a specific one, but a Grass or Bug type will have resistance to Ground. I'd say Leafeon but the lack of really solid moves to cover the Grass is a pain.

Am I missing something? I've decided to get the move recycle through munchlax but I've hatched about 2 pages of the little dudes and they all have the same moves. Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited:
Can't remember the available D/P/Pt pokémon extensively enough to state a specific one, but a Grass or Bug type will have resistance to Ground. I'd say Leafeon but the lack of really solid moves to cover the Grass is a pain.
Leafeon isn't in the Diamond Regional Dex and you can't get Eevee until Post-Game.

Am I missing something? I've decided to get the move recycle through munchlax but I've hatched about 2 pages of the little dudes and they all have the same moves. Am I doing something wrong?

Ignore this now, stupid me figured it out.

Which Pokemon are you breeding and what moves do the parents know?

I was trying to get a Munchlax that knew the move Recycle. Turns out you need to go to the move re-learner. Which I wasn't aware of until I found a YouTube video explaining it.

So, after 2 10+ hour flights I've managed to get a shiny Ditto and 4 Ditto's that have 4 Perfect IV's. From there I have now made my Alolan Raichu after hatching about a zillion eggs and giving up on 6 Perfect IV's. My Alolan Raichu has 5 Perfect IV's and the Sp. Defense IV is just below Perfect. Now I'm working on Crobat which will take some more time as a good competitive move set requires him to have an egg move. Been trying to read up on how exactly egg moves work so hopefully I can do it properly.

Massively behind on playtime I expected to have, yesterday pretty much ruined by some bad news; nothing for anyone to worry about just some crappy life lesson I needed to learn the hard way...

Ignore this now, stupid me figured it out.

I was trying to get a Munchlax that knew the move Recycle. Turns out you need to go to the move re-learner. Which I wasn't aware of until I found a YouTube video explaining it.

So, after 2 10+ hour flights I've managed to get a shiny Ditto and 4 Ditto's that have 4 Perfect IV's. From there I have now made my Alolan Raichu after hatching about a zillion eggs and giving up on 6 Perfect IV's. My Alolan Raichu has 5 Perfect IV's and the Sp. Defense IV is just below Perfect. Now I'm working on Crobat which will take some more time as a good competitive move set requires him to have an egg move. Been trying to read up on how exactly egg moves work so hopefully I can do it properly.
For non-Physical Attackers, it's best to have 31/0/31/31/31/31. This is so you can minimumize confusion damage and Foul Play damage which is based on your Physical Attack.

For non-Physical Attackers, it's best to have 31/0/31/31/31/31. This is so you can minimumize confusion damage and Foul Play damage which is based on your Physical Attack.
This is definitely worth taking note off.

Usually if you're going to have non-perfect IVs in anything its the attacking stat your pokémon is not geared towards, since a physical attacker isn't fussed with having SpAtk IVs and vice versa.

This is definitely worth taking note off.

Usually if you're going to have non-perfect IVs in anything its the attacking stat your pokémon is not geared towards, since a physical attacker isn't fussed with having SpAtk IVs and vice versa.
Unless you're like me and went bonkers with my Eelektross from my Black Team and EV trained it 252 in both ATK and Sp. ATK.

I decided to use my Golden Bottle Cap on it :lol:

Unless you're like me and went bonkers with my Eelektross from my Black Team and EV trained it 252 in both ATK and Sp. ATK.

I decided to use my Golden Bottle Cap on it :lol:
Nah, in B2W2 I went with:
Brave Natured, 252 in HP and SpAtk EVs, gave it Giga Drain and Drain Punch :lol:

Nah, in B2W2 I went with:
Brave Natured, 252 in HP and SpAtk EVs, gave it Giga Drain and Drain Punch :lol:
I think mine is a neutral nature (didn't care for Nature, EVs and IVs back in Gen V). Right now it's just an Assault Vest Poke that tries to as much damage as Possible :lol:

Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, Aqua Tail, Dragon Claw are it's moves.

I think mine is a neutral nature (didn't care for Nature, EVs and IVs back in Gen V). Right now it's just an Assault Vest Poke that tries to as much damage as Possible :lol:

Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, Aqua Tail, Dragon Claw are it's moves.
I should probably try an Assault Vest Variant now that it's available. Although I have to make sure I still have a Tynamo. Partly tempted to go 252 Def / 252 Sp.Atk if I do... run T-Bolt, Drain Punch, Giga Drain and Crunch/Aqua Tail.

I GOT A SHINY AND A LEGENDARY!

I'M FREAKING OUT.

IMG_20180106_115518.jpg
IMG_20180106_121442.jpg

How rare is an Infiltrator Zubat? I've maybe done 6 hours of straight slaughtering Zubats through S.O.S. method and Substitute and have yet to find one

Last edited:
So according to rumors/unverified leaks, the Pokemon games for Switch will be Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee... effectively Pokemon Yellow remakes, with some Pokemon Go integration.

People are turning into crybabies over the Kanto and Pokemon Go aspects, but personally I'm on board. I don't think the Pokemon Go integration is going to be that big of a deal, basically just a glorified Pokewalker. And as for Kanto, I'm ready to return since I didn't play FR/LG, and didn't reach Kanto in HG/SS. And even if I did, I'd still be down to revisit a much higher fidelity 3D recreation of Kanto.

What really has me excited is the names of the versions... Pikachu and Eevee. This seems to suggest that we'll play as Blue in the Eevee version. And if so, I can only assume that'll mean the journey through Kanto in that version will be different compared to Red's, which would be awesome and a nice way to make the experience fresh for people who've already played through Red's journey to death... not to mention a good way to help justify the continued existence of two versions after the jump to a full $60 pricetag.

I personally would rather see a DPPt remake, to be honest.

Can you imagine how intense the Spear Pillar incident in true 3D with modern graphics would be?

I still welcome whatever they release, though. Been replaying FireRed for the nostalgia and I think it'd be nice to see that...but Pokemon Go integration? Man, I am not for that at all, because I don't want to have to walk to play Pokemon.

The names for me are a little bit weird at first but I'm sure I will get use to them. I feel like the Pokemon Go integration isn't all that bad depending on how it's implemented. Until they announce what Pokemon Go aspects are in the game, I'm not too concerned.

I welcome any changes they do to the Pokemon games since I love the series and want to see what ideas are brought to change it up.
Also, hope they announce the games soon since all these leaks/rumors are fun and all, but this past week there have been new ones popping up every day and getting a little wild.

I personally would rather see a DPPt remake, to be honest.

Can you imagine how intense the Spear Pillar incident in true 3D with modern graphics would be?

I still welcome whatever they release, though. Been replaying FireRed for the nostalgia and I think it'd be nice to see that...but Pokemon Go integration? Man, I am not for that at all, because I don't want to have to walk to play Pokemon.
We'll still get this eventually. I personally see LG Eevee and Pikachu as an easy win for Game Freak and Nintendo. Release these 'remakes' of a region which is fondly loved (not by myself) using a slightly upgraded Sun & Moon engine and with branding similar to Pokemon Go in 2018 and make a mad profit. Then in 2019/2020, release Generation 8 on Switch with a full revamp of the graphics engine. Use that to remake DPP. That's just my theory though. :lol:

Rumours, rumours, rumours.

Probably someone got bored and makes something up. Go back to first gen third cartridge and add Go functions.

I'll believe it when I see it.

They are not slow in giving up details of the next game months and months ahead of launch. We'll all know soon enough.

Agreed, they'll get to Diamond and Pearl remakes eventually.

Probably someone got bored and makes something up. Go back to first gen third cartridge and add Go functions.

I'll believe it when I see it.

They are not slow in giving up details of the next game months and months ahead of launch. We'll all know soon enough.
Well rumor has it that we won't be waiting too long for confirmation... :P

Probably someone got bored and makes something up.

While the ideas are still rumors, the names of the games are semi-confirmed as they were registered domains by Nintendo in the last day or so. Assuming that it's for the Switch titles.

Back