Pokémon Games Discussion Thread (Gotta Discuss 'Em All!)

I guess that explains the Thunder Wave you have, I go for Choice Specs.

I often hate Choice items because it locks me and forces me to switch but Jolteon gets decent power output from it, that he is an exception.

Exactly I'd run choice specs, rather than electrium z, but I've been out of the game since July

I run Elec Z because my Jolteon has a speed boosting nature and it's my go-to when I want something dead.

No not really, several Pokemon I have, have higher priority on the Bottle Cap list, out of all the ingame teams, my Black Team has first dips after I do my individual mons that need it, also I'm burned out grinding for Level 100 after doing it for both Tornadus and Thundurus :lol:
Ah I see... that's fair enough then, although I just ran a quick IV check on my Jolteon and :lol: not great.

What was your Elite 4 team again?

Mine's going to have:
Decidueye
Jolteon
Ninetales
Houndoom

The other two are an unknown although Hawlucha and Mawile are looking likely ti fill that 5th slot.

I run Elec Z because my Jolteon has a speed boosting nature and it's my go-to when I want something dead.
Fair enough, I respect interesting choices like this :). I use my Jolteon just for some quick damage.

I actually made my Shiny Floatzel a Special Attacker for a similar reason, it's base stats support ATK but it has a Modest nature, I must say though, Floatzel using Ice Beam is the most juvenile thing I have ever seen :lol:

What was your Elite 4 team again?

Mine's going to have:
Decidueye
Jolteon
Ninetales
Houndoom
Not really just an E4 team, I used these Pokemon throughout the entire game with no substitutions, rotating or anything similar but here it is:

Incineroar
Dewgong (I can tell Dewgong isn't going to like this)
Garchomp
Lopunny
Sylveon
Necrozma ( I won't be using it for this battle because of how ridicolously OP it is :lol:)

Incineroar
Dewgong
Garchomp
Lopunny
Sylveon

Necrozma
That Garchomp is going to be somewhat tough to get around, but Sylveon is probably my bigger worry; honestly. Will be an interesting matchup if Houndoom and Incineroar end up coming out against each other.

Anyone you're not looking forward to? The team doesn't look as formidable as yours, mind.

If you include Hawluncha, probably that. My teams surprisingly have a common weakness that only one of my team seems to counter against. This time it's Fighting with Sylveon being my only response. Another trouble Pokemon would likely be Ninetales, I know I have several ways around it but Ninetales can be tricky to get around, after personal experience of owning one :lol:

@Storm_SP17 Found out that the Alolan Ninetales side quest simply unlocks the ability to play with it on Mount Lanikila

Has anyone noticed that Shaymin Sky Forme is just a Mythical Togekiss? Had one all this time since catching it in Platinum and had no idea you coul pull Togekiss tactics :lol:. Ah, I've noticed I love pulling sacky wins over people. First evasion stallers and now flinch spamming.

I'm at the point where I just feel like I've done everything I need to do in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, nothing to do except outer stuff like EV/IV trainings and battles. Overall, the post-game isn't as massive as the directors was hyped to be comparing it to Platinum, I had fun with it and there were a lot more Pokemon only found in Post-Game (although that would be because Pokemon like Misdreavus were actually moved back to post-game only). I feel like Zygarde was better treated in this game although still not really enough to justify shoving it into a different generation in a totally different region, still wish it can finally have its own game someday.

So glad Necrozma didn't fall into this and was much better treated, although I really wouldn't call Necrozma a third legendary at all. It's more of a duo of Necrozma and Cosmog and even them the parralels are only minimal. The story of Necrozma is completely different to Solgaleo and Lunala and Necrozma only really interacts with it all because Solgaleo and Lunala give out light and it's not like Solgaleo and Lunala were created after Necrozma lost its light. Outside of that, Necrozma is on its own. Which I found interesting.

@RESHIRAM5 it what!?!? I was hoping it would join my team... I guess that's nice too though.

I knew Sky Forme Shaymin with Seed Flare was a nast piece of work but I didn't know that about it... So it pulls Serene Grace shenanigans?

Shame to hear about the post game, but thats what this game falls desperately short on in practically every game.

The Switch is the best chance for Pokémon to make a console game; not to make a jump to, but to try something a bit different... even if they do just beef up sidequests and post-game content.

I've already expressed my interest in them wanting to make a Breath of the Wild-style RPG with battling being more dynamic, and I have a fair few ideas... but that topic is for another time. I think everyone wants an MMO or at least a co-op element to Pokémon.

So Necrozma isn't given the Kyurem treatment this time around? That's good... at least it means they're not performing copypasta nonsense.

Shame to hear about the post game, but thats what this game falls desperately short on in practically every game.
It's still better than X and Y, ORAS and Sun and Moon so there is that.

The Switch is the best chance for Pokémon to make a console game; not to make a jump to, but to try something a bit different... even if they do just beef up sidequests and post-game content.
I just hope the added power allows Triple Battles to return. Not sure about doing things differently, I know Black and White as well as Sun and Moon were steps outside the formula, though I expect the first games on the Switch to be more like X and Y since a more experienced team was working on it.

I mainly hope for some added difficulty and didn't rely on level skips for non-EXP. Share players. If more fights were like Ultra Necrozma and had to make me use my noggin for once in a single player playthrough, I would be happy. Problem with Gen VI and Gen VII was that you were allowed to exploit the mechanics of Mega Evolution and Z-Moves to hearts content while it was reserved to big bosses for the A.I. Black 2/White 2 included Challenge Mode and was sad this couldn't be expanded upon in these later games.

So Necrozma isn't given the Kyurem treatment this time around? That's good... at least it means they're not performing copypasta nonsense.
Still kinda is, Necrozma was the ultimate being of Light before it lost it all, like how Kyurem was the ultimate dragon before his truth and ideals were split, both seek to reclaim their former glory. However Kyurems lore ties in with Reshiram and Zekrom. Necrozma doesn't and only seeks of Solgaleo and Lunala because they produce their own Light.

Shaymin gets the move Follow Me, correct?
No, I was mainly referring to King's Rock + Serene Grace + Air Slash. Besides, everyone knows Pachirisu is the best Follow Me user anyway :lol:

Taking a quick break from UM so I can work on my Nuzlocke.

Could someone give me a hand with certain rare mons on Akala Island when I'm back on UM?

Taking a quick break from UM so I can work on my Nuzlocke.

Could someone give me a hand with certain rare mons on Akala Island when I'm back on UM?
I need something to do with Ultra Sun anyway :lol:. What you looking for?

Ever since it's announcement, Dusk Form always rubbed me the wrong way, I didn't know why but after watching a video from Bird Keeper Toby, I think I know why I'm not a fan plus more.

Midday and Midnight were perfect counterparts, they both did something different, you had to choose either the speedy good loyal best friend, or the more bulky independent edgelord. They both look completely different as well which adds to this.

Dusk Form just completely kills the point of choosing Midday or Midnight, especially Midday (although I wouldn't be surprised if a Dawn form came someday and did the same to Midnight to those Midnight fans). Why bother with choosing Midday over Midnight when you can have Dusk Form which looks the same but has some Midnight properties. It kills off the point of Midday, which is sad as I really do like Midday and it is still my preferred form, but I don't like how GF was simply encouraging dropping Midday just to pick up Dusk.

Even the stats seem like GF was just trying to make Midday redundant (although this time it failed), It has the same stats as Midday but 2 more ATK and 2 less SPD, and with Accelerock and Tough Claws it would seem like there is no point of using Midday which disheartened me until a couple of massive competitive players told me that the tiny loss of SPD actually makes it less viable since it now makes it tied with a lot of 110 SPD Pokemon that Midday could easily get over. I'm glad that Midday wasn't completely shunned out but this feels like more of an accident that GF didn't intend because everything else was going in Dusks favour.

Ever since it's announcement, Dusk Form always rubbed me the wrong way, I didn't know why but after watching a video from Bird Keeper Toby, I think I know why I'm not a fan plus more.

Midday and Midnight were perfect counterparts, they both did something different, you had to choose either the speedy good loyal best friend, or the more bulky independent edgelord. They both look completely different as well which adds to this.

Dusk Form just completely kills the point of choosing Midday or Midnight, especially Midday (although I wouldn't be surprised if a Dawn form came someday and did the same to Midnight to those Midnight fans). Why bother with choosing Midday over Midnight when you can have Dusk Form which looks the same but has some Midnight properties. It kills off the point of Midday, which is sad as I really do like Midday and it is still my preferred form, but I don't like how GF was simply encouraging dropping Midday just to pick up Dusk.

Even the stats seem like GF was just trying to make Midday redundant (although this time it failed), It has the same stats as Midday but 2 more ATK and 2 less SPD, and with Accelerock and Tough Claws it would seem like there is no point of using Midday which disheartened me until a couple of massive competitive players told me that the tiny loss of SPD actually makes it less viable since it now makes it tied with a lot of 110 SPD Pokemon that Midday could easily get over. I'm glad that Midday wasn't completely shunned out but this feels like more of an accident that GF didn't intend because everything else was going in Dusks favour.
See, now I'd have played it like this:
80 HP
117 or 115 ATK
70 DEF
55 SPA
70 SPD
95 or 97 SPE

Not quite as fast as Midday, not as bulky as Midnight, but with a superb Ability to make up for it.

See, now I'd have played it like this:
80 HP
117 or 115 ATK
70 DEF
55 SPA
70 SPD
95 or 97 SPE

Not quite as fast as Midday, not as bulky as Midnight, but with a superb Ability to make up for it.
Also, doesn't Midday exclusively get Sand Rush?

Sand Rush especially in Single Battles, requires a bit too much set up to be properly used since Lycanroc can't even learn Sandstorm, compared to Tough Claws which also makes Accelerock hurt even more.

To be honest, I just think Dusk Form really shouldn't have been made, it killed the charm of Lycanroc in the first place and it didn't even succeed at its job of being more competitvely viable because GF didn't think 112 SPD mattered compared to 110 which worries me that they bothered thinking it in the first place.

A third form, I think could've been something different and done right. Make it's design more different and instead of being a "mix" make it a Special Attacker and make it's different move Power Gem instead of Thrash (as well as NOT getting both Middays Accelerock and Midnights Counter). That way you have an actual third option instead of a "why not both"

The third form is supposed to be a hybrid of the two, so going for a special attacker doesn't really comply there, since neither are... it just wouldn't make sense.

Lycanroc-Dusk is currently OU but probably by virtue of being new. That said, 117 Atk with Tough Claws and STAB priority speaks for itself.

It was GF trying to make it more of what the show makes it out to be; at the cost of making the other forms almost completely redundant.

Back