Votes: 55 20.6%
  • Step in the right direction, but rough around the edges

Votes: 113 42.3%
  • Major leap forward, but still missing something

Votes: 40 15.0%
  • Finally, now build on it

Votes: 33 12.4%

• Total voters
A full evening of Gr.4 racing and it was the cleanest I've experienced so far.

You could argue when you do get a penalty it needs to be easier to shake the penalty off, without slowing to the point you could become an on track hazard. But honestly, the penalties have been so few and far between, it hasn't been that great of an issue. Maybe that's the harshness we need for clean racing?

Last edited:
Disagree!

I was racing today side by side with another guy and suddently he hit me on the side, on propouse.

He and me take the penality! Thats wrong!!

Only he was responsable and should get penality, simple as this.

A full evening of Gr.4 racing and it was the cleanest I've experienced so far.

You could argue when you do get a penalty it needs to be easier to shake the penalty off, without slowing to the point you could become an on track hazard to others. But honestly, the penalties behave been so few and far between, it hasn't been that great of an issues. Maybe that's the harshness we need for clean racing?
re

This poll should be interesting.:lol:

Rough around the edge and a huge step forward.

What PD classes as contact needs looking at.

(If you get a penalty, don't scrub it on a fast section of track unless it's big and increasing. Use common sense and get way off line for them. For all other penalties, scrub them after a slow corner. Less impact on you and others.)

Disagree!

I was racing today side by side with another guy and suddently he hit me on the side, on propouse.

He and me take the penality! Thats wrong!!

Only he was responsable and should get penality, simple as this.

re
It is disappointing, but no computer code is going to be able to decipher intent.

I actually like how hard it is to scrub penalties now. I finished a race C with 3.000 sec penalty (first timetive ever finshied with a time penalty) which I got on lap one.

I like how now it's basically a choice between serve the penalty and scede several positons or carry it to the end. I used to think the penalties should not be scrubable (I like that word:dopey:) but now we have the best of both worlds... A choice.

I also had some of the cleanest racing ever tonight. Hopefully this continues...

I like how now it's basically a choice between serve the penalty and scede several positons or carry it to the end. I used to think the penalties should not be scrubable (I like that word:dopey:) but now we have the best of both worlds... A choice.

You only have a choice if you have less than 5 seconds penalty though, otherwise if you don't serve it, the amount keeps growing until you get disqualified.

My first race with the 1.13 penalty system :
Before the race i was DR-B SR-S
In the race i finished 2nd or 2rd gaining 7 or 8 positions :sly: , no time penalty during the race:sly: , BOnus +50% for CLEAN RACE :rolleyes: .... checking the (same) race summary ... DR-B SR-A (red) :odd:... :grumpy:

i don't believe this .. :confused:

IR

On B/S I barely see any changes, no penalties for bumps. Actually yesterday a guy dive bombed me out of the track on Interlagos and he didn't received any penalty :confused: I feel like its too much forgiving on lower ranks, and way unforgiving on DR A and S. For me it should be vise versa - unforgiving on lover ranks to teach people how to drive clean, and a bit less restrictive on DR A and S, cause people already know how to drive clean and it shouldn't penalize them for the slightest contact.

Last edited:
It is really a shame that it is so difficult for a computerised system to distinguish between an acceptable tap on the rear and a full-fledged brake-check. It's stuff like that which, I fear, will bring out the worst in some people. However, it is clear to me that cleaner racing will take place amongst those who want it to happen with the new system. When you get it right, overtaking is now rewarding; I just hope it doesn't cause too much frustration when you get it a bit wrong.

Very interesting results.

I voted: Major leap forward but needs tweaking. A bit on the harsh side but please do not revert it back to what it was.

I also prefer harder to scrub penalties, but this could be implemented better than it is at present i.e ghosting

I seem to benefit from penalties especially when i finish a rave. Few time i have been 5 seconds behind, only to find people with big penalties at the end.

Mixed bag for me, but I like it so far. Got punted once, got a penalty. Ran wide in the "Esses" at Lac M and got a penalty. Learned to stay on the track, and ran the next race from P2 to P2 for a personal best start/finish. (All GR4 at Lac M.) I like that there are harsh penalties for track excursions. There must be a STRONG incentive to stay clean for this to work for everyone. I do wish PD would remove the hand-of-god car reset. You ran off the track, you can drive yourself back on. I haven't been playing much, but this will get me to race more to see how it goes.

New system is useless. Got a minor tap in the rear from a driver and I get a 3s penalty. By the time everyone else stopped hitting me I had more penalties and I was in last. Absolutely ridiculous. Not even worth playing as is.

I've just realised this poll might be flawed as the people complaining about the new system the most are in higher ranks and seriously outnumbered by everyone else.

It's good to see everyone else is seeing the benefit of it straight away but now everyone else has to become an alien (or at least an astronaut...) to see the full picture and possibly a need to change their vote.

Get practising, everyone else!:P

Some background on my previous post- I got a 5 sec penalty for going (very far) off track in the esses. I lost 5-6 positions burning that off. My take away was "stay on the track". I raced back up to P4, I think. In the next race, when I got bumped, I was turning in for the last hairpin- I have to allow that I may have chopped the driver behind me. I was turning 1:29's mostly, (low 1:28 Q time...)started that race P3 and got bumped at the end of L1 from P3. Ended up 11th? I ran three races, and the grids were pretty even in both rank and q times- mostly all D/S and C/S, and all between 1:27 and 1:32 Q time.
I'm most definitely NOT an alien, and I enjoyed racing more last night than I have in weeks. I guess we see how tonight and the weekend go....

It is disappointing, but no computer code is going to be able to decipher intent.

Correct, it cannot decipher intent, but the current championship scoring system does score you based on your driving quality. It knows when you are on the brakes at the right time, on the gas at the right time, and when you are on the proper line. I can tell because the quality of your drive in the race will affect your score.

Blame can be derived from deviation of the proper behavior according to the scoring system.

@Voodoovaj that's an interesting bit of info.

It's also the system the penalties use to allow you to scrub off time. The game knows how much throttle/brakes should be applied at every point of the track. Since it knows what you SHOULD be doing. It can definitely extrapolate intent from there.

I don't wish to start an argument but that poll wows me. It's ruined every race I've been in so far since the update. It's ended the race I was having for the win once, messed up the race I was having in two daily races and turned the final one into a crashfest as everyone is dithering on the racing line trying to get rid of 5 second penalties for a tiny bump which no one cared about or even noticed. Possibly it works in the slower races where people are punting each other off all the time but in the top race it's giving huge penalties for little taps that don't matter or tiny cuts that maybe saved you 0.05s. I'm preparing a video showing how ridiculous it is. The old one was somewhat useless but this one has turned some races into penalty simulator 2018 and just ruined the racing in others. The only plus I can see is that it gets bigger the longer you don't take the penalty - that stops people from just carrying on as normal and naturally losing the penalty as they complete the race. However it also forces people to take penalties in stupid places that causes even more crashes and even more penalties.

Right so that explains it - it must be working nicely with the slower guys. Perhaps they need a 2 tier system - more lenient penalties in races with A S and above only?

Last edited:
It's also the system the penalties use to allow you to scrub off time. The game knows how much throttle/brakes should be applied at every point of the track. Since it knows what you SHOULD be doing. It can definitely extrapolate intent from there.
Based on that, which makes perfect sense, and your previous tidbit... it now makes me angry that a car bumped from behind, or dive bombed is given the penalty. Before, I was frustrated by the system, now... I'm plain angry.

Correct, it cannot decipher intent, but the current championship scoring system does score you based on your driving quality. It knows when you are on the brakes at the right time, on the gas at the right time, and when you are on the proper line. I can tell because the quality of your drive in the race will affect your score.

Blame can be derived from deviation of the proper behavior according to the scoring system.
From what I've read in another thread, that's incorrect. It seems as though it's based on strength of field according to this:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/championship-points-scoring-system.367630/

Back