Project CARS 2 Rigs

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 180 comments
What? It seems like an awful lot to spend on a gaming PC. I've heard you can get top quality for under $2000. I don't know your salary so there's that... I don't know where I'm going with this post sorry

He's getting more than just the PC though. He's getting a sim rig and VR headset, the PC and several other accessories. He's actually getting a pretty good deal all considered.

Hell, I spent more than half of that just on my Fanatec wheel base, 2 rims and loadcell pedal set

I'll admit I didn't look at the details of every price but the overall total. I knew the gaming stuff would factor in but wow not that much. Enjoy it, I wish I could go to such extremes.

Added a Rift and a 50" 4k screen recently. Oh, and a gaming PC.
Playseat frame with a vintage Recaro from an RS Turbo. CSR-E wheel with Formula rim and Clubsport pedals. Two iphones, two tablets. 5.1 Yamaha amp.

CvKJDyQ.jpg

I've decided to do do some upgrades to my stand by attaching a dedicated seat so it's all one piece. I got some inspiration from http://www.crazy-cheap-and-easy.com/ and modified his design for my seat. The bottom actually has four drilled holes on the bottom but it's slightly curved so doesn't work when trying to mount it to a plywood base. Instead, I have this:

BL8slen.jpg

Sorry for the speaker blocking a bit on the right but you get the idea. A 2x4 extending out on the bottom with three support legs going up the sides. To keep from scratching the floor I will attach a strip of that stuff you put under furniture so it slides better on wood. Lucky for me the chair taken from a desk chair is two parts seat and back held together with what were the arm rests (which I cut off for better accessibility) and four hex screws. What I plan to do is cut 2x4s to the height of the seat so the holes to go through to the screw holes aren't too close to the edge of the wood. After that I will attach a horizontal brace from left to right on the front and back "legs". The seat may look low but I'm 6 feet tall. Now that you know what I'm doing, I have some questions.

When connecting the base rail to the stand I would like to use nuts and bolts and make multiple attach points an inch apart. This way I can quickly take the bolt out, slide to a different distance and slide them back in. At the two mounting points for the base rail to the stand, should I use one in the middle or two bolts near the ends? Should the bolt be smooth and the pilot hole just big enough so it's a snug fit OR should it be threaded and the pilot hole slightly smaller so the threads bite into the wood? If the latter, would it be just as successful to simply use four wood screws?

@David Brooks post what you have so far!
Alright.

Totally homemade. I used one of those office chairs that look like car seats for the seat. The party trick of this rig is that when the wife wants the guest room for guests (which is where I play) the whole thing folds up inside an ottoman (apart from the seat itself).

I wanted to make sure the driving position was right and I also wanted adjustability whilst maintaining rigidity which is what has taken the time.

Don't look too closely at the welds. Next steps are fine tuning the deck folding linkages, then finishing touches, painting, and building the ottoman. I have left space for a gear shift and handbrake but I don't have either right now.

I'll post more photos when done including folding up.

20170902_143515.jpg
20170902_143425.jpg

I think it is better angled up but i haven't actually played a game on it yet.

When designing this i tried mocking up the position with bits of wood. I was also working with a maximum height limit due to the ottoman. So what i found was the more the pedals are angled up the more I had to recline the seat or at least lift the front of the seat up to support my legs. Otherwise there is too much pressure on my knees. That in turn affects the seat to wheel relationship.

I have to say I think I might be a little too reclined and I am already at max height adjustment on the seat rear. However I think I'll give it a drive and if required I'll just modify the bracket under the seat to lift it up and get my adjustment back to mid range.

T300RS, TH8A shifter, T3PA-PRO pedals, GT Omega stand, very comfy seat (can't remember the make) with the wheels left off when I assembled it so it doesn't move, my old ps4 as a dedicated racing ps (as the pro is set up with the 4k tv in the living room. If the performance on pcars 2 is good on standard ps4 I'll leave it as it is, if not I might have a rethink) samsung 40" tv and a quickly knocked together tv stand from bits I had to hand.
...... All subject to change if I see something I 'need' :lol:

sim rig.jpg

Just cut and mocked up where everything will go. Do you think the middle one is needed? It couldn't hurt right? Milk crate height is surprisingly perfect. I'm also gonna put a horizontal beam across the front and back support legs under the seat, just to ensure support when I sit in it.

Next step is buying screws, sanding all surfaces, paint with black spray can, and then screw into place. Presto chango it's a full rig! I'm probably gonna paint the other bare wood you see.

J0ZXuHJ.jpg

IMG_0802.JPG
IMG_0806.JPG
My setup
Modded G920
• Quick release
• full size deep dish wheel
• F1 carbon wheel
• diy handbrake (old door handle and bike handle bars)
• Extended paddle shifters
• Inverted pedals
• bass shakers under seat and pedals

All on a gt omega wheel stand which I've added more bracing to to make it more rigid and mount the 42" Tv, inverted pedals,amp and Xbox controller too.

It's a ongoing process I think I spend more time tinkering with my rig than I race sometimes. Next up is a wheel base upgrade.

Does anyone have a setup with switchable gearbox to right and left hand drive?
I have thought about getting a second shifter to go on the other side because I prefer to have it as an H pattern on my left (the proper side :P), in sequential mode I prefer it on the right but it's a real pain to keep switching sides with it, it'd be far easier to just plug a different cable in

A lot of people praise the GT Omega Stand. But you braced it with more so that leads me to believe it isn't that great. I'm determined that a wood based rig is the best since teh weight will keep it in place better. I originally planned to use the Ricmotech plans but it's too big for my space and would require a lot more money for wood.

I have no issues with the gt omega cockpit. Originally I had only the wheel stand and it would move some during hard RallyCross gameplay on Dirt4 but once I got the APIGA rear subframe with seat box the rigidity went up 10 fold (obviously). I use the T300 (5.x nm tq) with it and have no complaints. I myself don't see the need for additional bracing. But I have noticed minor flex and I think if you were using a wheel with more than 7nm of torque you would want to consider a beefier rig.

What some may forget is that it's highly adjustable so if a friend happens to be much taller than you, then bam, gimme two minutes and we can adjust the seat back (on sliders) and many adjustments to the wheel height and tilt as well as being able to adjust the pedal placement (albeit pedal changes are a little more time consuming). And if you use your own seat the stand plus rear subframe and seat box is just a shade over $220 USD. I mean c'mon... no build time and it's sleek and clean looking. 2 day Amazon prime shipping and wallah... game on.

My two cents anywho.

Last edited:
IMG_0534.JPG
This how mine started life so obviously I've change and modded a lot from my pics in my 1 post. To be fair mine was fine after I fitted the rear seat frame. And it is a great wheel stand plus you can add to it if you wish. I found it just had a little sway in it with hard driving so wanted to brace it as didn't want to damage anything. The brace going across the front where you climb in is more to stop my one year climbing in it haha, obviously it helps and the more weight and rigidity the better in my opinion. But like I said the wheel stand was great I just like to tinker

$220 for some metal seems like a bit much. I'm also the only one using it so I don't need it to adjust, just size it to my liking and make it rigid. I think the more adjustable points the more flex potential.

My stand started as a night table with a drawer cut out. All the wood that's already attached I had lying around. The only things I've paid for so far are screws to mount the Logitech hardware, three 2x4s, and more wood screws for all the 2x4s. A 2x4 is 4.99. Box of screws is probably around the same. To think I made a wheel stand for roughly 20 bucks makes me insanely happy. Oh yea, maybe $8 for two cans of black gloss spray paint.

View attachment 670714 This how mine started life so obviously I've change and modded a lot from my pics in my 1 post. To be fair mine was fine after I fitted the rear seat frame. And it is a great wheel stand plus you can add to it if you wish. I found it just had a little sway in it with hard driving so wanted to brace it as didn't want to damage anything. The brace going across the front where you climb in is more to stop my one year climbing in it haha, obviously it helps and the more weight and rigidity the better in my opinion. But like I said the wheel stand was great I just like to tinker

I must admit how much better it looks .... and probably feels .... with the additions you've put on :eek: I think you've just spent £200 for me on the seat frame, RS9 seat and V2 gear mount :irked: :lol:

It does feel great I must admit. Save your self some money and search for a second hand racing seat off eBay etc. As long as the dimension are the same for the wholes it will fit, saying that mine didn't haha so just made a couple of brackets out of thick carbon to widen the seat fittings and that work a treat. The seat was only £20 off gumtree

It does feel great I must admit. Save your self some money and search for a second hand racing seat off eBay etc. As long as the dimension are the same for the wholes it will fit, saying that mine didn't haha so just made a couple of brackets out of thick carbon to widen the seat fittings and that work a treat. The seat was only £20 off gumtree

It's actually my birthday the day before pcars 2 is released so I think the shiny new seat can be a well deserved present to myself, kind of a new (virtual) car feel and smell :lol:

My brother's birthday too! He's driving up from Virginia to New York for a concert on the 21st and I'm gonna take the 22nd off to download and race all day.

g27
playseat challenge
my pc (i5 6600K, NVIDIA 1060GTX,12GB DDR4, 64GB SSD for OS, 400 GB SSD for games, 27" Eizo gaming monitor)0
8" Tablet for dashmeter app

My modest setup :bowdown::nervous::gtpflag::embarrassed:
A feeding chair for my baby, that was never used; removed part of it and fitted the G29 on it. I then attached an outdoor chair to it (to make it stable and fixed under my weight). G29 pedals are not fixed in place but they get fixed when used (on the TV stand); i left foot brake when using paddle shifter/sequential car, and right brake when using a manual H shifter car so like to be able to move the pedals sideways accordingly.
I recently added an H shifter to it.
Very modest but I like it and it works fine for me. The height is perfect, for my taste, as I don't like that the wheel blocks any part of the screen.
20170808_230550.jpg
20170808_230606.jpg
IMG-20170817-WA0074.jpg

Temp rig till i pull the trigger on an Rseat RS1 Alcantara and fanatec wheel base V2.5 with 918 rim.

- Fanatec CSP V3 pedals with brake performance kit
- T300rs wheel base
- TH8a used as analogue handbrake when rallying
- Ferrari 599 xx Evo 30mm Alcantara rim
- Msi nightblade X2 (spec below)
- PS4 with 1 TB SSHD (gathering dust atm)

Thrustmaster Ferrari 599XX EVO 30 & TH8A by M-Bimmer, on Flickr

SimRacing Hardware by M-Bimmer, on Flickr

Time for some Sim. Racing by M-Bimmer, on Flickr

SimRacing Hardware 2017 by M-Bimmer, on Flickr

Last edited:
That's why I have a second rig. I'm fortunate when it comes to my financial situation but many of my friends aren't and I want everyone that has even the slightest draw to racing to experience what I get to.

I have one buddy that comes over the most and yesterday after getting the new gear I called him up and said happy bday (not really his bday) and told him he had to come over cause I had a surprise. He was super grateful and we then raced for the next 4 or 5 hours.

Back