Project CARS: Head of Studios Reveals Tons of Information About the Game’s Upcoming Patch

somebody should look up the words "game breaking " if it was game breaking you would haven't know about the clio cup A.I.
Just saying your playing it

Oh, I see. It's game breaking when it happens with others.

Like, ok, the game crashes, freezes, collision physics are wonky, you simply can't access info on the game by an idiotic UI design, controller input with a pad is utterly broken and the wheel support is unstable (in a "simulator"). But never mind any of that! You are playing it, ergo the game is ok.

No one is ok with the bugs and no one wants the devs to get away with it. We are just urging patience and let's see what happens in the next couple of weeks.

I'm ok with that, really. But I can't stand this patronising, that "oh, it is not broken or buggy", "you should be glad that they are damaging control this mess", "if you are playing it, even if it doesn't work properly, it's not broken/unfinished" and etc.

'Game Breaking' is an entirely subjective term. Everybody is entitled to find different things 'Game Breaking', so it doesn't make sense to argue about it.

Like, ok, the game crashes, freezes, collision physics are wonky, you simply can't access info on the game by an idiotic UI design, controller input with a pad is utterly broken and the wheel support is unstable (in a "simulator"). But never mind any of that! You are playing it, ergo the game is ok.

.. THIS is game breaking. That will completely ruin your race. It's not a big deal in the short offline races... But in endurance races.. Or in an online racing league.. It certainly is..

Not being able to use your wheel on the PS4 or Xbox is not game breaking. At least not as much as not being able to use the default controller for that console.

No one is saying, that the all the issues are OK... I, and others, just say, that they cannot fix everything at first, so they have to prioritize. Now, things are as they are. It's promising to see that SMS are aware of most of the issues. Yeah, you should be glad about that.. Some developers don't communicate stuff like that with the players... So.. You should be glad! That does not mean "everything is OK and the game is perfect. Just that it could be a lot worse. And seriously, it's a complete waste of time and a first world problem to be so upset about bugs in a game. (Seriously, have you seen some of the threads on other forums? It's like people's lifes are ruined because of these issues...)

You said you were a PS4 user. Does this mean controller input with a pad is utterly broken on the PS4 as well?

Hopefully they'll get around to fixing all the bugs. But they have to fix the ones which affect a great many more people first, hence they're releasing the Xbox controller patch first.

I really wish we wouldn't take this apologist stance where we let people release insanely buggy titles. If I was given a software project to do, I'd be told to do it right or face the consequences. game developers should be facing the same fate at the end of the day. It is possible to release games without bugs, just wish we wouldn't have people saying that isn't possible anymore because the majority of devs are choosing to over-shoot and miss their targets, quality standards and most importantly, make people regret their purchases.

It's not, not with this generation of games. The best you can do is to give players an easy way to report the bugs and then try to fix them as fast as you can.

And it's not an apologist stance, it's a realistic stance.

Says the driver can no longer be switched during multiplayer races? Does that mean no online driver swaps for endurance races? Also no news about Logitech support 👎

Well the logitech support is Not really a project Car Issue, but a Logitech/sony Issue. Logitech wheels is not supported at all for PS4

That's plausible, but the GT3RS v2 is not lower end. Sure, it's not as high end as the others, but it's not low end.

Lower end wheels? Does Fanatec even make a low end wheel? I know they rant about their CSW but the CSR Elite is almost the same thing and while those are a bit higher end than the GT3 GT2 TurboS and CSR wheels they are all high end wheels and all should work.

All bar the CSW V2 use $2 motors. They're low end.

I have a GT3RS and think it's great, but it's low end. Doesn't mean they shouldn't work properly with PCARS though, since it was an advertised feature.

I have not had any real bug/glitch issues that have given me remorse in my purchase as others have. I do feel that some things about the design of the game come up well short though. The lack of drafting. Not enough or no info in certain menu's or in parts of the game such as career. How long do you want the race to be? Who knows because it only gives you info on how long the practice will be as you move the little slider. Some cars feel numb and detached from the track. It's enjoyable, but.

Lack of drafting? This is the second time I've seen someone say that, and it confuses the hell outta me. What do you mean exactly?

Please stop pedalling this myth that all games this generation are buggy/incomplete, it isn't true. :lol:
It's not, not with this generation of games. The best you can do is to give players an easy way to report the bugs and then try to fix them as fast as you can.

And it's not an apologist stance, it's a realistic stance.

'Game Breaking' is an entirely subjective term. Everybody is entitled to find different things 'Game Breaking', so it doesn't make sense to argue about it.
Yup, and I would consider not being able to use your wheel pretty game breaking. Even if it only occurs with 1% of the player base, it's still game breaking for the people that have it.

When you are in someone's slipstream you should be able to catch up with them.
And you can in Project CARS. But beware of 'dirty air' effect too. :)

VBR
Maybe not for you, but it is for some. I only play simulators with a wheel, if I have no wheel then I am 100% not interested in using a controller, period.

I know. But... That makes it game breaking for you because of your personal preferences. It's not really top priority.

Of course wheels should work perfectly :) But, as I said before, everyone has different top priorities. Not everyone can have their wishes granted at first. The best thing for SMS is to fix the most game breaking issues that affect most players.

You do, it's just a realistic amount of gain so it's not very noticeable, best way to tell is by looking at the gap between you and the driver infront in the bottom left of the screen, it should gradually decrease by a tenth or two down the straight, assuming you both get the same run into the straight :)

As a couple of people have already said, you do. This is why it confuses me to see people suggesting it's bugged or doesn't work at all. I use the slipstream to overtake more often than not in pCARS. I find it realistic, I need to be quite close coming out of a corner, not to mention I need as good an exit as the leading car, and I'll be able to use the slipstream to get alongside for the braking zone. Works perfect for me. Perhaps people are too used to the GT style of being able to get in someone's draft from 200 metres behind. It always bugged me how overpowered the drafting was in gt5 and 6, made it feel like midnight club or something.

Edit* I also agree on the point of the dirty air effect being present. It caught me off guard, but I was pleasantly surprised. Also had to get used to getting out of the slipstream as late as possible, as a few times I felt I had the run to get alongside, got out a bit too early to overtake, and got hit by a wall of air, and found myself having to tuck back in behind for the braking zone (no way would I attempt a dive bomb in this game, can't bounce off the AI like in gt!). The aero physics are very nice in this game. Best I've experienced in any game so far!

Please stop pedalling this myth that all games this generation are buggy/incomplete, it isn't true. :lol:

Well, let's see.

Are any of these games bug free?

• iRacing? No.
  • Assetto Corsa? No.
  • DriveClub? No.
  • Gran Turismo 6? No.
  • Forza 5? No.
  • Forza Horizon 2? No.
  • F1 2014? No.
  • GRID Autosport? No.
  • WRC 4? No.
  • Mario Kart 8? No.
  • Need for Speed: Rivals? No.
  • The Crew? No.
  • GTA V? No.

If it's not true, then I suppose you know of some game that is bug free. Which game is that?

Well, let's see.

Are any of these games bug free?

• iRacing? No.
  • Assetto Corsa? No.
  • DriveClub? No.
  • Gran Turismo 6? No.
  • Forza 5? No.
  • Forza Horizon 2? No.
  • F1 2014? No.
  • GRID Autosport? No.
  • WRC 4? No.
  • Mario Kart 8? No.
  • Need for Speed: Rivals? No.
  • The Crew? No.
  • GTA V? No.

If it's not true, then I suppose you know of some game that is bug free. Which game is that?
It really depends what you mean by a game being 'bug free', if you literally mean that a tiny issue that does not effect gameplay or enjoyment of the title then that's just pedantic. I'm curious to know what you define MK8's 'bugs' are?

The Slipstream effect is dependent on the car and is most noticeable in the Lotus 98T (@monza) for me. Cars with less Aerodynamic Drag (i.e. Road Cars) only gain a very little bit of speed while drafting.

Yup, and I would consider not being able to use your wheel pretty game breaking. Even if it only occurs with 1% of the player base, it's still game breaking for the people that have it.

And you can in Project CARS. But beware of 'dirty air' effect too. :)

You do, it's just a realistic amount of gain so it's not very noticeable, best way to tell is by looking at the gap between you and the driver infront in the bottom left of the screen, it should gradually decrease by a tenth or two down the straight, assuming you both get the same run into the straight :)

All good points well made, I guess when all I've had to go by is DriveClub or GranTurismo, and by watching how easy it's done in F1, I lost a realistic perspective. Of course a boxy Clio is not going to have the same aerodynamic properties as a Formula A. 👍

By bug free I mean free from bugs.

Here are a couple of Mario Kart 8 bugs:

http://www.mariowiki.com/List_of_Mario_Kart_8_glitches
http://techforums.nintendo.com/thread/33106
Half of those bugs don't even have sources and sound like terrible creepypastas while the other ones are literally seeked out and would never impact regular gameplay.

Aside from the online one which I do believe has been patched already.

I'd consider a 'bug' to be something that impacts gameplay on a regular style of playing, not an 'oddity' found by doing things like driving backwards and bashing yourself off a wall for 45 seconds in the hope of falling through. For example, in Project CARS I caused my car to have a seizure by speeding into the pits and being the first car on the pit wall. I wouldn't classify this as a bug as it didn't impact gameplay or my enjoyment of the game at all. However, the Clios exploding when hitting a curb on Azure Coast? That's a bug.

Aside from the online one which I do believe has been patched already.

It doesn't matter if it's been patched, because you said that you could release a game without bugs.

I'd consider a 'bug' to be something that impacts gameplay on a regular style of playing, not an 'oddity' found by doing things like driving backwards and bashing yourself off a wall for 45 seconds in the hope of falling through. For example, in Project CARS I caused my car to have a seizure by speeding into the pits and being the first car on the pit wall. I wouldn't classify this as a bug as it didn't impact gameplay or my enjoyment of the game at all. However, the Clios exploding when hitting a curb on Azure Coast? That's a bug.

That's a game breaking bug. The pit seizure you're describing is a bug as well, just not as serious as the exploding Clios.

It doesn't matter if it's been patched, because you said that you could release a game without bugs.

That's a game breaking bug. The pit seizure you're describing is a bug as well, just not as serious as the exploding Clios.
The online one didn't even directly effect gameplay, it was down to miss-handling of data transmission packets online presumably.

Clearly, we disagree on what is a 'bug' and what is not. I'd argue that the pit-seizure is an imperfection.

The online one didn't even directly effect gameplay, it was down to miss-handling of data transmission packets online presumably.

So "miss-handling of data transmission packets online" isn't a bug in your book?

Clearly, we disagree on what is a 'bug' and what is not. I'd argue that the pit-seizure is an imperfection.

Clearly we do.

So "miss-handling of data transmission packets online" isn't a bug in your book?

Clearly we do.
Dealing of online transmissions isn't related to gameplay if you took the time to read the
sentence.

Also, dealing with the occasional 1/100 network anomaly isn't a bug in my opinion. Certainly not on the scale of bug discussions on this sub-forum and for any of the other games you mentioned.

Dealing of online transmissions isn't related to gameplay if you took the time to read the
sentence.

So it is a bug in your book? You just don't want to count it because it didn't occur during actual gameplay?

Also, dealing with the occasional 1/100 network anomaly isn't a bug in my opinion. Certainly not on the scale of bug discussions on this sub-forum and for any of the other games you mentioned.

When it comes to scale, I think you'll find that it's proportional to the complexity of the game. For Mario Kart 8, the most serious bug when it comes to vehicle dynamics is probably the firehopping glitch, where you can extend the time of speed bonuses by jumping. But MK8 also has extremely simple vehicle dynamics, compared to Project Cars.

It's extremely easy to avoid, say, suspension bugs if you leave out the suspension entirely. And you can do that if you're making an arcade racing game such as Mario Kart, but for games like Project Cars that's just not an option.

Back