PS4: T300 GTE or T500RSPS4 

• Thread starter Brit999
  • 586 comments
gtp_brit999
I have my order placed with amazon for the T300 GTE and will have to wait another two weeks or so until it arrives. I got a very good price for it at £239. So I have been looking at the T500 RS in the meantime and am now undecided again. The problem is I am not sure of a few things.

As I want to use the wheel with Project Cars when it is released:

Is there a huge difference between the two considering the price difference of £130?

Does the T500 come with a shifter as standard, as the pictures show pedals with a clutch, but not of the shifter?

Will all the buttons be mappable for each wheel?

Will a T300 be expandable to take the 3 pedal and shifter?

Will I be able to use a keyboard alongside the wheel, as I have seen in some of the videos on this forum. If I have a keyboard setup to my PS4, would I be able to use it to a) enter text messages to other users in the lobby and/or b) use it to select other options that the wheel does not have enough buttons for?

Thanks for all of your help in advance.

Edit: An Update with some really good advice:

thegt500 said:

In a nutshell, the only real difference between the GTE and RS wheels is the button layout. The wheel base is identical for both models, it's only one is PlayStation branded (RS) and the other Ferrari branded. The 300 series wheels are 100% compatible with the PS4 with the share and option functions of the DS4 controller. The 500 series wheel, whilst it will work with the PS4 in game menus, it doesn't have the share/option functions so you will need to keep the DS4 handy to use these features.
The 500 pedals are a lot better than the 300's not only because of the addition of a clutch pedal, but also in build quality and the two different mounting options. You can upgrade the 300 pedals to the T3PA pro set (basically an updated 500 series set of pedals), or a cheaper option of the T3PA set. Neither the 300 or 500 wheels come with an H pattern shifter, so you'll need to get either a TH8RS or the newer TH8A shifter if you want to go fully manual.
Your final comment of the 500 having no 'vibration' is a bit confusing. It does have force feedback, not vibration (like some cheap, PlayStation wheels you see advertised). The 500 is and older design with a different type of motor than the newer, and some say, better brushless motor of the 300 wheel.
See this forum https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...me-consoles-ps4-xbox-one-ps3-xbox-360.318002/ for a more in depth explanation of the differences.

Also see this great post by Skazz with an in depth look at the differences between T300 and T500

skazz said
I just had a fun weekend with both my Thrustmaster wheels hooked up, swapping between them while playing AC, pCARS (beta), DiRT Rally and GT6. (T500RS+TH8A versus stock T300RS)...

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/ps4-t300-gte-or-t500rs.319404/page-19#post-10667385

Last edited:
I ordered the T300RS & it should arrive either today or tomorrow. I never had a T500RS so can't say for certain, but from what I've read the main differences between the two are; The pedals, the T500's are metal with a clutch & by all accounts are much better. The T300's are mostly plastic & have no clutch & seem to be a slight step up from a Logitech Driving Force GT's pedals. Also the T500RS has a bit more forcefeedback torque while the T300RS is a bit smoother, quieter & uses brushless motors.

The T500RS does not come with a shifter as standard (neither does the T300RS)

Not sure if all buttons will be mappable but I'd imagine it's possible if the software allows it.

Yes you can use the shifter with the T300RS and also you can use the T500's pedals with the T300Rs but, they are not sold seperately so might be difficult to find a set. You could also buy an adapter from Rimotech to allow you to use G25/G27 pedals with the wheels or a CPX adapter from Basherboards to allow you to use pedal sets from Fanatec.

Not sure about your last question but I'd imagine so if you are going to be gaming on PC.

Last edited:

Not sure about your last question but I'd imagine so if you are going to be gaming on PC.

Sorry I was not clear about the last question. I mean to say this: If I have a keyboard setup to my PS4, would I be able to use it to a) enter text messages to other users in the lobby and/or b) use it to select other options that the wheel does not have enough buttons for? I hope this clears up the question, I will edit the main post as well. Thank you for your answer though :cheers:

Can't comment on the T500, but I can say I had an email from Amazon telling me my T300 will be delivered this Tuesday instead of 24th-2nd Dec... now all I need is decent PS4 game to play it on. :rolleyes:

I do know the T300 has only 2 pedals, but you can upgrade to a 3 pedal set (about £100) and a shifter (about £100).

I can't comment on the t300, but I upgraded to a t500 from a g27 and I am nothing but impressed. Had to install the included brake mod as it was hard in comparison to be consistent without it.

I personally would have got the t300rs if I could find t500rs pedals seperately for it because running gt style pedals was important to me.

I own the T500RS, T300RS and the 458GTE rim.

I usually use the T500 with the PS3, but have plenty of experience with it on the PC. I bought the T300 purely for PC use and haven't actually tried it on the console (since my two rigs are in separate rooms)

I wrote a few comparisons last month:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ing-wheel-thread.311143/page-18#post-10142550
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/no-dfgt-its-a-sad-day.318139/#post-10144548

i was perhaps being a little unfair to the T500, which is comparatively less free spinning than the T300 (or a G25) but once warmed up it's definitely not bad. In the end both wheels have positives and negatives: I love the power of the T500, and I love the free spinning agility of the T300. Add better pedals to the T300 (e.g. The T3PA set once it finally arrives in this country) and they cost very similar amounts too.

Which one would I go for? Probably the T300 for the agility, smoothness and PS4 full compatibility. But both wheels are really good and a step up from a Logitech G25/G27 or Fanatec Porsche wheel.

Thanks for a great answer John, I really appreciate it! I will start saving for the add on pedals and H shifter!

You're welcome.

Add better pedals to the T300 (e.g. The T3PA set once it finally arrives in this country) and they cost very similar amounts too.

The T3PA aren't available from Amazon in my country yet (UK) but I was able to get them direct from the Thrustmaster shop a month or two ago for £89 so you might have luck there.

YEY! T300 has just been delivered. BOO! Don't have a decent racing game to try it out (PS4). I have a PS3, is it worth picking up a cheap copy of GT6 until Project CARS is released? If no, what do you recommend? Thanks.

YEY! T300 has just been delivered. BOO! Don't have a decent racing game to try it out (PS4). I have a PS3, is it worth picking up a cheap copy of GT6 until Project CARS is released? If no, what do you recommend? Thanks.
Yes. GT6 is fun to drive with a wheel, it's just not quite are refined as AC and other PC sims.

That's exactly what I did when my T300 arrived last week. Really fun!

I got my T300, and I have been trying to make myself like driveclub. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Its not working. I might give the crew a try out, otherwise I am going to put my PS4 on ice for a little while until Project cars comes out. I think I will be revisiting the joys of the used car dealership in GT5 and see how many cars I can have in my collection before the end of March....

The T300 is supported in the following PS3 games: http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/index.php?pg=view_files&gid=1&fid=2&pid=374&cid=12

I think you'll get the best experience with either GT5, GT6, DiRT 3, GRiD Autosport or F1 2014. Depends what you like.

Yes. GT6 is fun to drive with a wheel, it's just not quite are refined as AC and other PC sims.
Thanks for the help

I got my T300, and I have been trying to make myself like driveclub. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Its not working. I might give the crew a try out, otherwise I am going to put my PS4 on ice for a little while until Project cars comes out. I think I will be revisiting the joys of the used car dealership in GT5 and see how many cars I can have in my collection before the end of March....

I've been playing The Crew Beta, found it to be too arcady. Definitely won't be buying.

hi all, so after many years of service overseas my brother is coming home and he pre ordered PCars and he is a racing sim fan, would like to know what you all would suggest for a good investment and gift to my brother? What wheel should I get for him for him to be able to use on his PC and/ or PS4? Thank you all for your help!

hi all, so after many years of service overseas my brother is coming home and he pre ordered PCars and he is a racing sim fan, would like to know what you all would suggest for a good investment and gift to my brother? What wheel should I get for him for him to be able to use on his PC and/ or PS4? Thank you all for your help!

The only choice at the moment is the thrustmaster range. I know the T300 works on both as I have one myself now, I have read elsewhere that the T500 works. There is also the T100 with FFB, and T80 without, but they seem to be lacking in functions of their bigger brothers.

Logitech and Fanatec do not work at the moment with the PS4.

hi Brit999, thank you so much for your swift reply mate, appreciate it! great info and feedback. it is disappointing to see how companies are not building products to support all platforms!

I have to agree the T300RS is an excellent wheel (I also have one) for PC and PS4. If you have the funds then getting the optional T3PA (3 pedal upgrade) and TH8A (8 way gear stick/shifter) would make him a very happy sim racing brother.

rocafella - how about you adopt me as a brother instead? I already have a T300 so all you would need to buy me is the T3PA and a TH8A? I promise I won't take them overseas. :D

So no then?

While it's not officially no, there's always hope.

Mind you, the pedals are fairly reasonably priced, good value and might make a nice present from Father Christmas/your fairy godmother/. Worth it even without the h-pattern gear knob.

While it's not officially no, there's always hope.

Mind you, the pedals are fairly reasonably priced, good value and might make a nice present from Father Christmas/your fairy godmother/. Worth it even without the h-pattern gear knob.

I'm a bit too old for Father Christmas. I actually looked at getting the pedals and shifter this week, but the pedals are sold out. I can wait till new year, or even till pCARS comes out.

I'm a bit too old for Father Christmas. I actually looked at getting the pedals and shifter this week, but the pedals are sold out. I can wait till new year, or even till pCARS comes out.

Yes, plenty of time. I've been told by Thrustmaster customer support that there is a new shipment of the pedals due this week. They are sending me a replacement one after the brake pedal failed.

but is the wheel which is badly working or you don't like the game?

but is the wheel which is badly working or you don't like the game?
The wheel is working great. The game is a bit flawed still. I have stuck with it and got to like a few of the tracks. When the servers are working, it is OK. When the servers are down its a bit pants :confused::confused: (No multiplayer, no challenges, no TT ghosts of other people)

Your brake pedal on your T300 failed already? What happened? :crazy:

Stopped calibrating entirely after a few days. Both accelerator and clutch were fine. It started ok but then brake calibration started playing up intermittently. Then by the time I'd contacted customer services the brake had stopped working entirely. Customer service has been good (so far). The new pedals will hopefully arrive shortly.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back