Ride 4

• Thread starter Jtheripper
  • 738 comments
Nah what's silly is Milestone's bike physics. Basically braking in all of Milestone's bike games aren't just bad but are wrong. When braking they seem to think more brake power comes from gear selection than brakes. The gear that you're in determines how much braking power you have. I don't know if they are trying to simulate engine braking or something but if they are they're doing it wrong. Additionally they seem to think the largest amount of weight transfer is at the lowest speed. to which I say just go out on a bicycle, scooter, motorcycle or whatever. Get up to 60 mph and grab and handful of brake hard. Then if you survive grab a handful of brakes at 5 mph.

So anyway was trying to figure out some cornering and low speed drive issues and was wondering if the clutch worked. What I found was that while braking if you engage the clutch while braking (off throttle) the bike SLOWS down way more realistically. IT makes no sense because with the clutch pulled the transmission is disengaged (at least in real life) so I don't know why they have it working like they do. So what I did was remap the clutch which I previously didn't use to where the rear brake was mapped. So know I can actually brake like I want because the bike slows like I expect. More importantly I can now brake where the AI brakes and the bike actually slows down at the same rate as the AI so there aren't so many collisions.

It's really odd and stupid but it works. I don't think of the clutch as a clutch I just think of it as my rear brake. When the clutch is engaged, if you open the throttle the engine revs but acceleration. But when off throttle it seems to function like a brake. just another strange Milestone bike physics
Sounds to me like slipper clutches aren't modeled.

Given all the hidden aids, ABS in particular, this actually makes a lot of sense. With the engine braking, the bike is less stable, as though you are dragging the rear brake, which is not what you do as you turn into a corner unless you want to get lairy.

There was an issue in previous games with the combined braking not working very well with some bikes, but using just the front brake fixed this. Again, seems like a rear grip issue is at fault and the hidden stability aid preventing things getting out of shape. But also, crucially, preventing full deceleration.

Sounds to me like slipper clutches aren't modeled.

Given all the hidden aids, ABS in particular, this actually makes a lot of sense. With the engine braking, the bike is less stable, as though you are dragging the rear brake, which is not what you do as you turn into a corner unless you want to get lairy.

There was an issue in previous games with the combined braking not working very well with some bikes, but using just the front brake fixed this. Again, seems like a rear grip issue is at fault and the hidden stability aid preventing things getting out of shape. But also, crucially, preventing full deceleration.

This would certainly explain RZ05's clutch solution, and more or less the thought that led me to turn the engine braking right off that seemed to help both braking distances and turn-in (will have to experiment this weekend if I have a few spare moments, may be mis-remembering, been over a month since I've played now). Plus (agreeing with RZ05 again), I don't think weight transfer under braking or acceleration for that matter is right.

Quick blast around Mugello GP on my GSX-R 600.

[Forgot to crop off the banner at top... ]

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Enjoy playing through these games. Have a great weekend!

New patch released:
PS4 EU, PS4 US 01.10, PS4 Japanese 01.04 – XONE 1.0.0.14 – STEAM 1.0.0.8

-Improved tyres temperature system
-Improved Anti-Wheelie
-Some career thresholds have been revised
-Added support for add-ons (PS4-XONE)
-Minor fixes

https://ridevideogame.com/game-updates/new-patch-realesed-ps4-xone-steam-3/

What does it means "support for add-ons" UDP telemetry?
I'll check...downloading...

Last edited:
Thanks for video Exup, tried last night, got a lot better start. The Al can be raced with, just need to bit more aware, passing them.

MV Agusta Superveloce 800 (2019)
Triumph Daytona 765 – Moto2 (2020)
Yamaha YZF-R1M (2020)
Ducati V4 S Naked – Racing Modified (2020)
Energica Ego (2020)

@Griffith500 & @r_outsider . :) My biggest problem with Milestone's games is that I ride for real so it's hard to switch to video game style when trying to play their games. So the whole braking thing , turning thing lol just drives me nuts. Now that I've integrated the clutch things are WAY better for me. I can get the bike stopped like I expect CONSISTENTLY and my corner acceleration is smoother because I can roll the throttle and work the clutch. It's not perfect or realistic because clutchbraking only works if off throttle. But once I get the bike slowed right before turn in I can open the throttle to start matching revs for better exits.

In regards to the weight transfer it's just strange that low speed bias to the point where your more likely to endo trying to slow from low speed than from high speed. Where as the TT game is the exact opposite and a bit too sensitive. Something in the middle would be awesome. This is where a dedicated motorcycle controller with analog throttle and brake control would help TONs

The racing can be fun but the AI is still a pain, because they aren't aware. So if you are behind an AI rider the other AI riders generally don't adjust so they at least to me constantly run into you. I react to the AI riders, but the AI riders rarely react to the player. The last lap suicide lunges just make the thought of doing long endurance races worthless to me. Basically what I do is I'll "race" with the AI for most of a race (say 17 out of 20 laps) but then for the last laps I'll just check out because it seems like the goal of the AI on the last lap is simply to take me out and not to win the race.

As much as I hate this game I just hit the 87hr mark so obviously I don't hate it as much I as claim too !! lol Actually I've got the control to the point that I really just enjoy putting in laps outside of the career mode, which I'm still not a fan of. For me career is poorly designed with too much focus on street courses and bad conditions. I really wish they'd add offline single player stat tracking (fastest laps, race data, telemetry) and a custom championship mode

Last edited:
What are your camera settings? Mine always look washed out after the image processing

Pretty much what they are as standard. I might change the shutter speed, or focal distance a bit... I will always pick a spot to focus on. In the edit part (you hit X on the Xbox controller - what I use for PC), at the bottom it says "Edit", click that and then move your cross-hair to what you want to be the point of focus. Then I just "process" the image. That's how they come out.

I am on PC, I could never get Ride 3 "photos" to look worth a darn on consoles, either PS4 or Xbox... main reason I bought Ride 3 for both consoles. :lol:

Testing the game with the new patch, I find it easy to launch the bike from a standing Start, as also as exiting corners sliding without weird behaviors when the front wheel lift the ground .
Previously when exiting corners while still leaned, if the front wheel would lift the ground (despite the AW mode 1,2 or 3). the bike would crash.

It seems that weird behavior was improved (Doesn't seem placebo to me).

The tires now get toasted really easy when pushing hard on a time trial for example (with the new Energica, after one lap they are almost red)

Playing on the 600cc without TC and AW is really fun.

Maybe I'll buy Ride 4 when it get discount. I would gladly pay full price if Milestone has brought some significant changes that should have been fixed even on Ride 3 :
-unreal AI cornering on slow corners
-equal lenght of races on championship (to not drive 5 laps on laguna seca and on nordschleife)
-more gradualy set up championship, from easier races on start, and harder later in career

Maybe I am too spoiled because of years spent playing Gran Turismo, but releasing unpolished game reflects Italian philosophy, especialy compared to PD. Now I get impression that game from start was released only with season pass in mind to make more money bringing bikes that could be in game from the the begining.

Testing the game with the new patch, I find it easy to launch the bike from a standing Start, as also as exiting corners sliding without weird behaviors when the front wheel lift the ground .
Previously when exiting corners while still leaned, if the front wheel would lift the ground (despite the AW mode 1,2 or 3). the bike would crash.

It seems that weird behavior was improved (Doesn't seem placebo to me).

The tires now get toasted really easy when pushing hard on a time trial for example (with the new Energica, after one lap they are almost red)

Playing on the 600cc without TC and AW is really fun.

Seems like with the patch they have integrated some kind of launch control. You can see the revs sputter at the start. I still haven't figured out a setting for squatting issue on acceleration. that's why the bikes understeer. So the work around I have is to go in a gear higher and a bit faster, so the revs have to build a bit and causes less squatting. I try to use as little aids as possible. But on the RM models I have to enable AW until they come up with some kind of analog throttle.

The other thing is the suspension itself. The pogo stick bouncing needs to be addressed. Way over done.

Maybe I'll buy Ride 4 when it get discount. I would gladly pay full price if Milestone has brought some significant changes that should have been fixed even on Ride 3 :
-equal lenght of races on championship (to not drive 5 laps on laguna seca and on nordschleife)
-more gradualy set up championship, from easier races on start, and harder later in career

Maybe I am too spoiled because of years spent playing Gran Turismo, but releasing unpolished game reflects Italian philosophy, especialy compared to PD. Now I get impression that game from start was released only with season pass in mind to make more money bringing bikes that could be in game from the the begining.

Milestone is Milestone. They've been making bike games for 20 years and well, until they have competition they are just going to do what they do. I think Ride 4 is the best playing game they've done in a LONG time. probably ever. But its let down a bit by game design. The career mode is a mess. You can see they tried to do a GT Sport without understanding the thought process as to how GT Sport is laid out. That's what kills me about the track tests. They don't build toward an actual goal. They are just randomly placed. The game seems more task oriented than race oriented. Racing seems almost an after thought. But where the game is way worse than any of the previous Ride games is the career progression. Its just really draconian especially if you primary focus is on racing. To each his own but I'm not the biggest fan of street tracks and Milestone's handling model makes me even less so. So locking the game up and requiring only one route to access it means probably 70% is never going to be available to me. Plus with no championship mode at this point it's just running single races or time trails on the tracks I like. Which is very unfortunate. But this whole season pass /events is the current trend. Always companies to make money charging you for something you use to be able to do yourself

As for the DLC I do think Milestone is the worse because they pretty much sale the same DLC over and over. with each release. So yeah bikes that were in Ride 3 have been removed so that they can be sold as DLC in Ride 4. not cool but it is what it is.

Having said that Ride 4 is worth full price, unlike MXGP 2020 which was release yesterday and is a complete mess. For all my complaints about Ride 4 I've already got over 87hrs into it. Would be nice if I could find a regular set of decent people to race with, but on PSN it's like a ghost town.

Having the chance of trying the new DLC, I have decided to give it a go on the new Energica EGO and also to compare it with the Corsa version from MOTO-E in the MOTOGP20 game.

mixed feelings on this...
The "street" version (with Slick tires) and a kit1 upgrade, has more grunt than the MOTO-E variant...which shouldn't be the case.
Performance wise, the MOTO-E version is way better (although the lap times are worst) cornering and braking. The street sister is really bad on braking :-).

So, just did a short video comparing both of them on the Phillip Island Circuit. (Not a very scientific video...I'm sorry :-))

going back to back on both versions, the MOTOGP20 game has MUCH BETTER graphics and higher resolution (even on similar conditions - Time trial).
Both are running on performance mode (60fps) on Series X.

Hope you enjoy it.

Ride 4 Energica EGO

Ride 4 Vs MotoGP20 - Energica EGO Vs Energica EGO Corsa

@Griffith500 & @r_outsider . :) My biggest problem with Milestone's games is that I ride for real so it's hard to switch to video game style when trying to play their games.

As much as I hate this game I just hit the 87hr mark so obviously I don't hate it as much I as claim too !! lol Actually I've got the control to the point that I really just enjoy putting in laps outside of the career mode, which I'm still not a fan of. For me career is poorly designed with too much focus on street courses and bad conditions. I really wish they'd add offline single player stat tracking (fastest laps, race data, telemetry) and a custom championship mode

Yeah, for me it's kind of like the MX games, you just don't have that feedback or the same level of control as you do on a real bike, so I guess I just ignore some things and get on with it. I sort of ignore the differences and just enjoy the visceral nature of them, which is the one thing Ride does really, really well. Still beats shoveling in the winter. I think the thing that really drives us all the most nuts is they're just so, so close but just not quite there on enough things that it gets easy to nitpick, and the little things pile up in a hurry (we all basically aggressively agree with each other:lol: and I think everybody has identified genuine issues even if they aren't the same as the ones others picked out). Plus there's that career mode...

Really would like to do a PS vs. XBox vs. PC shootout on this game, I really do think there's something going on there.

(Riding since 1979, currently 11 machines in the garage)

Yeah, for me it's kind of like the MX games, you just don't have that feedback or the same level of control as you do on a real bike, so I guess I just ignore some things and get on with it. I sort of ignore the differences and just enjoy the visceral nature of them, which is the one thing Ride does really, really well. Still beats shoveling in the winter. I think the thing that really drives us all the most nuts is they're just so, so close but just not quite there on enough things that it gets easy to nitpick, and the little things pile up in a hurry (we all basically aggressively agree with each other:lol: and I think everybody has identified genuine issues even if they aren't the same as the ones others picked out). Plus there's that career mode...

Really would like to do a PS vs. XBox vs. PC shootout on this game, I really do think there's something going on there.

11 machines?

You might want to contact Milestone then so they can come round and do some scanning and sound recording :lol:

11 machines?

You might want to contact Milestone then so they can come round and do some scanning and sound recording :lol:

They'd be more than welcome to them, two of them are in 4 (and four of them were in 3), although, to be completely fair, to appreciate the sounds of 4 go back and play 1 or 2. Good grief those sounded awful. It's funny, they've made so many steps forward, yet I think 2 had the best career and AI of the bunch and they've been regressing since.

Ride 4 is currently on sale on XBox Live right now, in Canada at least, for you fence sitters, as is MotoGP 2020. Some pretty good deals on a lot of racing games right now actually, not sure if it's just us or not, though.

I agree 100% . It's just sometimes I get so wrapped up into a lap that I forget it's just a game lol. As much as I still love Tourist Trophy and consider it in the top 3 of bike games along with SBK2001 and GP500) I still occasionally curse it's handling physics lol But yeah that's what makes Milestone's game so frustrating, it's just little details that are easily fixed if they'd listen the players an put the effort in.

Sorry to say but being in SoCal means I don't have to shovel snow anymore so it's year round riding for me. Yeah I know I suck!!! lol

11 bikes....ok I don't feel bad anymore. I did manage to trim it down to 6 for me. If they would put the 05 R1 into Ride all of my bikes would be in the game.

The bikes I spend the most time with in Ride 4 are
  1. 1999 YZF R7
  2. 2016 YZF R6
  3. 2020 YZF R1

Yeah I'm a Yamaha guy. Just to gripe again. This latest DLC is what burns me about Milestone and DLC in general. That 2020 R1M should have been in the base game. sucks they charge extra for that bike. To me DLC should be either new additional tracks or bikes that have been announced or released after the game. Would be nice if they offered gear dlc to expand that gear selection. The only dlc I'm really interested in is the kyalami track pack and the Superbikes 2000 DLC which hopefully be the liveries of teh SBK 2000 season (namely Haga's R7). Given the partnership with Yamaha for Ride4 I would have like to have seen a Yamaha DLC pack or something that had the 2005 R1. Milestone's bike selection has always been questionable. Why include the 07 R1 when the 04-6 was a more distinct milestone model (underseat exhuast, underslug swing arm, first ram air, first real FI, etc.....) but even in previous games like with the SBK series they'd include all the bikes from a period except one which was usually a Yamaha and that would just burn me lol

Anyway to their credit I do think they did a great job with making the bikes feel different this time around. I do have to adjust and can't really ride them all the same.

Not a fan of the ebikes but is it me or does it seem like that Engerico bike has no brakes at all geez.

Last edited:
Why include the 07 R1 when the 04-6 was a more distinct milestone model (underseat exhuast, underslug swing arm, first ram air, first real FI, etc.....) but even in previous games like with the SBK series they'd include all the bikes from a period except one which was usually a Yamaha and that would just burn me lol

Anyway to their credit I do think they did a great job with making the bikes feel different this time around. I do have to adjust and can't really ride them all the same.

Not a fan of the ebikes but is it me or does it seem like that Engerico bike has no brakes at all geez.

I agree... I had a 05 R1 some years ago, which I loved (except the heat under the seat :-D ) and I can't understand why it doesn't appear on both Ride3 and Ride4...

Regarding the Energica brakes...Indeed...they suck. the MOTOGP version is much better on that department.

I never really rode my 05 on the street so didn't have to deal with the heat. It's pretty much been track only sense day one. Funny was thinking about it a couple months back I've had this bike for 15 years!!! Time freakin flies. It's got over 16k miles 98% of which are track and I've never had one issue with it. I had it out last summer and it freakin rocked!!!

if they added it to Ride 4 and added an offline custom championship I wouldn't complain about Milestone again. ok yeah I'm lying lol

You know thinking about it I think at some point this week I've go back and play all the Ride games back to back. I know they've made great strides but sometimes it's easy to forget because of the missteps with each version that shouldn't have happen. Unlike the MXGP games at least the Ride and Supercross games have generally gone forward even if not addressing a lot of the player reported issues/request. Where as MXGP which started out great has just gone down the toilet

Attachments

• 05R1BW2020.jpg
    05R1BW2020.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
lol yup priorities!!! My first bike was 2000 R1. I miss that thing

My trip down memory lane didn't last long. not fair to judge it today but Ride 1 is terrible!!! lol ok its not terrible but it does show that Milestone has made a lot of progress. honestly seems like the AI in 4 is the worst of all of them. In Ride 3 the AI seemed to react a bit better and wasn't hell bent on taking me out.

off topic, but after playing Ride and a few other older titles, to me it's still amazing how well Tourist Trophy holds up graphics obviously aside. Even now I think it has the most natural realistic feeling (at least from 1st person view). I wished they'd finally make a sequel or at least have the balls to stop teasing and just say its never going to happen

Last edited:
off topic, but after playing Ride and a few other older titles, to me it's still amazing how well Tourist Trophy holds up graphics obviously aside. Even now I think it has the most natural realistic feeling (at least from 1st person view). I wished they'd finally make a sequel or at least have the balls to stop teasing and just say its never going to happen
I'm much happier with the physics in Ride 3 over Tourist Trophy's quirky GT4-based concoction, but man do I wish other developers would learn from TT's wonderfully effective and immersive 1st person view. The on-board viewpoints in every other game are way too twitchy and/or generally disorienting.

(bump)
Okay, so after not really playing much of anything since November, I fired up Ride 4 for a few minutes this morning, ended up playing for three hours. Maybe it's some kind of placebo effect but it sure seems they have made some improvements and fixes.

First off, the license tests, they said they'd made some changes, so I went and did the Asian and European tests (already had Americas and World), while I didn't get gold on all of them, I was able to pass them all without much difficulty, usually with only one attempt. The track tests still suck and rewind was used copiously with most of them, but the times seem more realistic. @Scaff or anyone else who was having some trouble, if you do pick this up to give a try again I believe the Asian league is the easiest one to get into to start, the others will be easier with some experience.

Don't know if it's a physics improvement or just my engine braking experiment working, but I'm basically using the same braking points as I do in most games now. I also switched from the on-bike GoPro camera to helmet, it seems to have a better field of view which I believe helped immensely. Completely agree with Wolfe and RZ05 about the TT camera, someone at Milestone needs to play that and get it implemented STAT.

The AI- they have made some improvements here. Before I had them on super easy and they would a- horrifically murder me in every braking zone, and b- turn lap times that would have them at the front of almost every real-world grid in most top-level racing series (and I actually went and looked up pro Super Stock and Super Sport records at various tracks, they really were that quick). Now, while I still have them turned way down so I can learn the tracks, I CAN learn the tracks without battling them at every turn, and they seem to race much better when I am around them, but I will have to experiment with this a bit more before having a real opinion. At least they didn't take me out going into T1 anymore (I do enough of that on my own).

Anyway, loving it now, even with its blemishes, and it's such a pretty game Milestone may have just sold a new XSX .

Almost forget to write what drive me crazy in Ride 3 , menu music, on first seem like it 's cool, only until you realise it has like 2 songs all over again, and if you spend some time in garage (and you spend a lot) it gets anoying.
Did it get better in Ride 4?

Almost forget to write what drive me crazy in Ride 3 , menu music, on first seem like it 's cool, only until you realise it has like 2 songs all over again, and if you spend some time in garage (and you spend a lot) it gets anoying.
Did it get better in Ride 4?

Yeah I found the music in Ride 3 very annoying. And yes things are a lot better in Ride 4 - reasonable cool jazz.

The rate of dlc releases is a joke, work out you end up paying a fortune for what shoulda been in the game anyway, infact all that contents most likely already in game just needs unlocked, they haven't spent the last 6months making it, why not from games release.

Last edited:
The rate of dlc releases is a joke, work out you end up paying a fortune for what shoulda been in the game anyway, infact all that contents most likely already in game just needs unlocked, they haven't spent the last 6months making it, why not from games release.

It's this perceived concept of product support that is nothing but greed. But costumers eat it up and that's why I have little sympathy when people or the press complain about rising game prices. Because they are willing and seem to have no issue with paying for DLC that comes out right on release day. Too me any dlc within the first 3 to 6 months of a games release should be free. But we know that isn't happening. I mean look at dev diaries They are talkiing DLC 6 or 7 months before a game has been released. So yeah to me it's BS but that's gaming today. The worst part of Ride is that the DLC is usually rehashed from previous games. They take stuff out and charge to put it back in. It's just lame.

But it's also like these Season pass Event releases so common in racing games today. Which I again I don't get the attraction of. they are basically charging players for something that use to be free....custom offline championships. But people eat it up. Guess I'm old school. I'm not a collector, don't care about trophies or achievements or any of that stuff. I just want to race and/or put in laps. But games these days aren't designed to do that. Look at Ride. They price everything HIGH..way to HIGH and the only way to quickly get any kind of credits is through the career. Even if you create your own single race with the same (or harder) settings than a career event the payout is far less. It sucks. If that weren't the case I'd never play the career mode. but it is what it is.

Back