Ride 4

• Thread starter Jtheripper
  • 738 comments
Jumped on this in the sale on PS5. Well worth the £15. Graphics are stunning, really like how it feels to play as well. All the little nuances of the dual sense are really cool too, the kick back on the trigger when you hit the limited is really cool, and the way the controller feels like a bike vibrating as you power up is well recreated.
Ride 4 is awesome man, although I'm on Xbox and have the throttle and rear brake mapped to right analogue stick for those late trail braking maneuvers.

Oh and yeah: turn up the volume. Wayyyy up. 👊😁

Last edited:
In 2005 I started riding, on an '04 blade for 3 years. Rode plenty of other bikes, but all modern sports bikes...

Then my friend's Dad let me take his 1980's-something Kawasaki on a breakfast run. Can't remember if it was an 1100 or 1300 but it was a heavy old thing..

1st thing... Starting it from cold. Yeah, carbs.

2nd thing, felt waaaay heavier than it actually looked!

3rd thing... The flexing frame was hilarious! Taking any corners at speed, it was weird. Felt very weird, like alternating between needing to let things flow, and having to make constant corrections!

4th and biggest thing... The non-existent brakes!

Loved it!

Pulled the trigger on ultimate version of ride 4 in sale and it’s actually really good.
Even the first cockpit view works really well, at least at default difficulty and for that first gold star trial thing.
Sounds are really good, great graphics, overall I’d put it ahead of motogp21 for fun.

It doesn’t try to hard to be overly realistic which is hard to pull off for a bike game anyway and is all the better for it.

I have a question what's trail braking? and how is it use in ride 4.

It's where you keeping braking beyond turn in and gradually come off as you get to the apex. You'll use it to carry more speed in to a corner and effectively elongate the braking zone.

Last edited:
Ride 4_20220223183426.png
Ride 4_20220223183821.png
Ride 4_20220223184023.png
Ride 4_20220223184403.png
Ride 4_20220223184616.png
Ride 4_20220223184848.png

This concept of trail breaking is gonna take some time to understand.

I tried it. not sure if this is even right.

Looks like you had a bit too much brake pressure but you seem to get the idea. Like the article says, release pressure sloooowly as you're tipping in and by the apex you should be off the brake completely. It's do-able with the XBox controller both on trigger and stick, if you're on PS I'm not sure how well it works. I sort of understand all the mechanics behind it but really, the article does a better job of explaining it than an old moron who's landed on his head too many times.

Yes, the AI is terrible. I run them on the lowest setting in career and try to holeshot and hide. Judicious use of rewind is often required. Completely understand how that's game breaking for some but I'm some sort of masochist.

There was an old riding guide/book I read when starting out, called "Twist of the wrist"... Said words to the effect of, 'imagine you have a max of $10 you can spend on grip at any time'...

So basically, as you braking as hard as you can (all $10) for a turn, you start bleeding off the brakes when you start turning, $9 brake/$1 turn into &$8 brake $2 turn and so on...

Same when you coming out of a turn, $10 turn/$0 throttle turns into $9 turn/$1 throttle and so forth...

Spending $11 means you'll lose traction in some way. And the max $10 value obviously depends on the surface grip... Like, oh there's sand. Damn, the dollar value tanked today hahaha

Looks like you had a bit too much brake pressure but you seem to get the idea. Like the article says, release pressure sloooowly as you're tipping in and by the apex you should be off the brake completely. It's do-able with the XBox controller both on trigger and stick, if you're on PS I'm not sure how well it works. I sort of understand all the mechanics behind it but really, the article does a better job of explaining it than an old moron who's landed on his head too many times.

Yes, the AI is terrible. I run them on the lowest setting in career and try to holeshot and hide. Judicious use of rewind is often required. Completely understand how that's game breaking for some but I'm some sort of masochist.
Yeah i went back to that race and won it.

I play on 20% easy but i noticed while the ai is god like in the corners there super slow in the straights is like if the ai doesn't use drs aka tuck in

kjb
I see Ride 4 special edition is on sale on the PS Store. I am seriously thinking about getting. The problem is I am still working my way through 2. I bought 3 when it was on sale and I haven't even downloaded it yet.
Skip 3, it's such a grind. Especially compared to Ride 4. You'll thank me, well, maybe not if you don't grind though Ride 3... your choice though. You ain't missing much in Ride 3, Ride 4 is just that much better.

VXR
I've jumped on the PS5 Special Edition whilst it's on sale on PSN. Hopefully more enjoyable than I found the 3rd game.

Night and day from my first 12 hours or so with the game. Ride 3 wasn't fun at all to me, Ride 4 feels like closest thing to a complete motorbike game we've ever had.

My one bugbear? I didn't get the edition with the season pass, and holy hell there's a lot of extra content that shows up in game that you can't use, I'd rather it just didn't display stuff I haven't paid for.

Night and day from my first 12 hours or so with the game. Ride 3 wasn't fun at all to me, Ride 4 feels like closest thing to a complete motorbike game we've ever had.

My one bugbear? I didn't get the edition with the season pass, and holy hell there's a lot of extra content that shows up in game that you can't use, I'd rather it just didn't display stuff I haven't paid for.
Yeah, it's so egregious when they do that.

For the first time, I feel the same sort of experience as I get playing Tourist Trophy. I'm still on Simplified physics, with driving line and rewind off, but it feels really wholesome and some of the heavy machinery sure doesn't like a place such as Cadwell, but the challenge is there.

So won over by the jump in visual quality, most notably in the menus with the GT-esque black space to present new bikes. Very slick. Motion blur in photo mode is finally present, and not before time.

I agree about 3, it was an absolute mess of a game. Very impressed overall with this newer version.

Was doing some custom races using one Historic GP bikes. The Al were miles a head, even on super easy, I couldn't keep up. On MotoGP19 on same level can race with them easily.

I really need to get this game but just haven't been able to align disposable income times with 'on special' times.

And the 'on specials' haven't seemed as special as I'd like.

Both of those look fantastic VXR. That blue on the first bike really pops. I'll have to grab this when it next goes on sale.

My one bugbear has been cured. The season pass is on offer at a very reasonable £9 so I've purchased and feel a bit happier now I have everything.

The physics in this game are deeper than I thought. When you run onto the edge of the tyre the revs rise, didn’t expect that to be modelled.

Sticking with 1st person view, initially a lot slower than 3rd person but much more enjoyable so gonna keep at it.

Ktm 390, 1st person view, headphones volume way up, dual sense controller haptics with buttkicker on rig, so so immersive, so glad I gave bike games another chance!

The physics in this game are deeper than I thought. When you run onto the edge of the tyre the revs rise, didn’t expect that to be modelled.

Sticking with 1st person view, initially a lot slower than 3rd person but much more enjoyable so gonna keep at it.

Ktm 390, 1st person view, headphones volume way up, dual sense controller haptics with buttkicker on rig, so so immersive, so glad I gave bike games another chance!
The 390 is an awesome little machine, proper little weapon. There's one in my garage, R4's is reasonably convincing, actually.

I think the suspension modelling seems quite a lot better than the previous titles as well, maybe it's all in my head. I've played around with suspension settings a little bit and got some interesting results.

I finally played this with the Pulse 3D headphones and wow, what an aural experience. The sound stage is a lot more visceral than it is on GT7. Those strokers really scream and the throb of the Harley twins makes riding in 5th gear appealing.

I also turned off the haptic triggers, as I simply don't like them. A lot more satisfying for me now.

rsz_20220323_004345.png

Some Cadwell shenanigans for colour.

Last edited:

How would you compare it to r3?
Tempted by base game price but better wait for low enough deal on complete ed. i guess.
Kyalami track, loved it in superbike 1998 i think it was in. Maybe it was a different layout than now a little.

In 2005 I started riding, on an '04 blade for 3 years. Rode plenty of other bikes, but all modern sports bikes...

Then my friend's Dad let me take his 1980's-something Kawasaki on a breakfast run. Can't remember if it was an 1100 or 1300 but it was a heavy old thing..

1st thing... Starting it from cold. Yeah, carbs.

2nd thing, felt waaaay heavier than it actually looked!

3rd thing... The flexing frame was hilarious! Taking any corners at speed, it was weird. Felt very weird, like alternating between needing to let things flow, and having to make constant corrections!

4th and biggest thing... The non-existent brakes!

Loved it!
Could be a kz1300 yh, i remember that from around 1980.
Cool times for me, in 83 i got a new suzuki gs1100es, blue and white. Was one of 1st to have that sporty look, half fairing, blacked out engine, exhausts. I loved it, even it did twitch yh hehe, in curves at high speed or breaking hard sometimes. I miss that..
Got it brand new, had lot fun, pulling wheelies always haha. It lost some power after the 1st summer already.

Last edited:
Back