Ride 4

• Thread starter Jtheripper
  • 738 comments
If I remember correctly the Series X/PS5 allows up to 20 riders in custom races, which really does liven things up a bit.

Although, if you don't really like racing against the AIs (and I wouldn't blame you if this was the case), then nah I don't think it'd be worth it.

As for the PS4/PS5 version confusion, I can't help you there sorry.
Yeah that's what's holding me from buying the ps5 version i don't really care about a little better graphics if i have to rebuy all the dlc stuff again no thanks.

I don't think you have to buy all of the DLC again it should carry over.

Last edited:
So that is incorrect. On PS5, I don’t know the whole back story but there are two upgrade paths devs can take and why all don’t take the same natural one is beyond me. Off course Milestone chose the worse. Ride 4 has 2 PS4 sku’s. The original if you purchased on the PS4 pre-PS5 release, does NOT transfer over. Saves, DLC, nothing. It’s considered it’s own game. If you purchase(d) the PS4/PS5 version then any DLC content or whatever you buy you only have to buy once. But again even with the PS4/PS5 version game progress and saves are not transferable between the PS4 and PS5 versions.

Is it worth the upgrade on the PS5? Depends on what you looking for? While it didn’t run badly on the PS4 it’s awesome on the PS5, shorter load times and it does run smoother. But the big difference is that it uses the dual sense feature so you get more feedback on the PS5 version that you don’t on the PS4. So when you lose traction you can feel it in the triggers. It didn’t seem like a big deal til I went back to the PS4 version to race a friend and all I did was crash as I’d gotten so use to that feedback. Is that enough to upgrade, maybe. To be honest initially it wasn’t because I didn’t feel like working my way back getting the bikes I’d acquired in the PS4 and didn’t want to have to try and recreate my custom helmets, liveries, etc……. But the HUGE payouts from the weekly races made it easy to get the $$$$ to get all the bikes back within a few hours. I didn’t really bother trying to go through the career again.

So that is incorrect. On PS5, I don’t know the whole back story but there are two upgrade paths devs can take and why all don’t take the same natural one is beyond me. Off course Milestone chose the worse. Ride 4 has 2 PS4 sku’s. The original if you purchased on the PS4 pre-PS5 release, does NOT transfer over. Saves, DLC, nothing. It’s considered it’s own game. If you purchase(d) the PS4/PS5 version then any DLC content or whatever you buy you only have to buy once. But again even with the PS4/PS5 version game progress and saves are not transferable between the PS4 and PS5 versions.

Is it worth the upgrade on the PS5? Depends on what you looking for? While it didn’t run badly on the PS4 it’s awesome on the PS5, shorter load times and it does run smoother. But the big difference is that it uses the dual sense feature so you get more feedback on the PS5 version that you don’t on the PS4. So when you lose traction you can feel it in the triggers. It didn’t seem like a big deal til I went back to the PS4 version to race a friend and all I did was crash as I’d gotten so use to that feedback. Is that enough to upgrade, maybe. To be honest initially it wasn’t because I didn’t feel like working my way back getting the bikes I’d acquired in the PS4 and didn’t want to have to try and recreate my custom helmets, liveries, etc……. But the HUGE payouts from the weekly races made it easy to get the $$$$ to get all the bikes back within a few hours. I didn’t really bother trying to go through the career again.
Thanks

That being the case i'll have to pass i have no interest in buying the same dlc again for the same game.

I ain't rich

:crazy:

Well I don’t know about being “rich”. But the PS5 special edition which includes all the DLC is only $20 and to me that’s a great price
Yup i saw that and will buy it over the weekend :)

Sony really wanted me to buy this game again :lol:

Last edited:
Think I might pick it up as well - I just love the PS5 controller. Hopefully the haptic feedback is in the triggers like the other games.
To me that is the main reason to get the PS5 version. I’ve mentioned it previously, but they did a good job with the haptics in Ride 4. It’s subtle but it works. Basically they used it to provide feedback for traction. So when you are losing traction or spinning up the rear, there is slip in the trigger. I noticed it immediately but really didn’t think much about it until I went back to the PS4 to race a friend and I kept crashing because I had gotten so use to the haptic providing feedback

Just a few ps5 shots
RIDE 4_20221007085159.jpg

With the DS i love when the bike bites :bowdown:
RIDE 4_20221007085547.jpg
RIDE 4_20221007085925.jpg

Wasn’t ride4 released not too long ago?
Yeah oct 5 2020 but by the time 5 comes out it'll be close to 3 years.

All i want from ride 5 is the following

Brakes fix
more 2021 to 2023 model bikes
Current gen only

Then i'll be more then happy to buy ride 5.

Last edited:
Noticed the special edition is on sale for $36AUD on the Xbox store and thinking of pulling the trigger but concerned by reading people’s comments online that it’s a very hard game and AI are really tough etc. I’ve been playing Ride 2 lately and I’ve found the physics to be fine. Quite enjoyable and and easy to play. Is Ride 4 that different then 2?

Last edited:
Noticed the special edition is on sale for $36AUD on the Xbox store and thinking of pulling the trigger but concerned by reading people’s comments online that it’s a very hard game and AI are really tough etc. I’ve been playing Ride 2 lately and I’ve found the physics to be fine. Quite enjoyable and and easy to play. Is Ride 4 that different then 2?
The physics are more realistic and more challenging, and it's a beautiful game to look at. But the AI can be a problem - they seem to have super-grip and can scoot through the most complex sequence of corners with ease.

The physics are more realistic and more challenging, and it's a beautiful game to look at. But the AI can be a problem - they seem to have super-grip and can scoot through the most complex sequence of corners with ease.
That made me lost all interest in ride 4 ps4 even when i bought the ps5 version it didn't last long before i deleted it just the thought of racing against that ai still gives me nightmares. :scared:

Love how the game looks but if the AI are that overpowered then that’s not gonna be enjoyable for me. After reading comments like this I think I’m gonna pass on 4 and keep an eye out for 3 when it comes on sale which is pretty frequent.

I finally got r4 after a long time being on r3, and honestly im disappointed big time, for mainly 2 big reasons.
1st, the physics i think are ridiculous, the bikes slide around like mx bikes on dirt at slightest touch of the brake, etc. And keep sliding without even falling lol, what a joke.
Like a 4wd rally car drifting at full throttle.

On sand traps etc, it will keep doing tht for 25 feet without even going down, as if i have super balance of a stunt rider.
The newer the bike, the worse.
Old bikes are a little better.

2nd, they didnt bother keep the hang low to the side of the bike views in helmet pov, even if u choose a shoulder out riding style like in r3.

And there is much less choices too, only balanced, old school, and shoulder out, which seem mostly affect animations maybe in 3rd person.

It ruins the thrill of leaning into a curve in helmet pov, and also you had a good view of where your bike is pointing to to judge your line.

Now it's useless almost, and hard to judge your line even.
I even prefer maybe the 1st fairing view in r4 maybe, at least it isn't ruined, even if it stays stuck centered sadly.
But you do feel the road more in that pov because the whole screen shakes when you go over curbs etc so you feel like you are on the road too, not just floating on top of the bike like the helmet cam, where only the bike shakes over bumps and your view stays perfectly still vertically.

The physics feel more complex yes, and you feel more the bike reacting, so that's good.

And the sounds of revs shifting down especially are much more dynamic, and good. Plus the clutch, which you can set analog.
Just too bad you can't adjust sensitivity because the range is so small on the stick, mostly using like the 1st 10th of range or movement.

Same for rear brake.
Even the front brake, it's ridiculously sensitive and short ranged, you can barely touch the trigger and it starts sliding.
Need pump it ever so slightly, and even then it's almost impossible to just brake in a firm line.

That's with game aids off, and bike aids off.
I tried tc at 1 and it lessened the sliding but then you feel less the bike, road, handling, and control.

Plus of course quality assurance of milestone, with bugs like auto tuckin not working, etc.

They change around handling etc like they have no clue, or no one that does checks things before release, and never patched, idk.

Glad i paid only 13$ cad for base game, even then pisses me off. And mostly disappointed in what could have been.

Now i was tempted to get motogp22 as well on sale, to upgrade from 19, but i worry it will be same thing.
At least that game and sbk22 seems to have kept the so nice hang to the side of the bike helmet gameplay povs, and they look superb in vids, and its not just the replay cam like in r4.

Even in menus, the bikes look not as nice as in r3, lighting, textures, its off, looks artificial.
In game it looks nice, tracks etc, but not much feel of road bumpiness except for curbs.
Better i tried sbk22, gp22 or rims, however others might feel of them.

Gp19 feels pretty good, you feel sliding just enough and have to adjust it fast or you fall.
Not exaggerated, even if physics might be simpler.

Anyhow, its a mess to me, and rushed like all their games, even if with lots less bikes than r3.
Shame as i love the shifting feel, sounds,and more lively physics.
Many bikes sound still crappy though, like it was just added in a rush.maybe the free bonus ones..

Many little things that are ridiculous, like powefull bikes that cant go over 200kph if not tucked in lol, engine braking barely affecting rear grip when off road etc, even at full eb setting on a powerful bike in power range.

Just a shame, was thrilled at 1st of the lively physics feel and crisper, livelier sounds and shifting.
Some bikes still feel squirrely like in r3, maybe not updated..
Still hard to follow a line in narrow street courses, because of controls, handling, not because of the challenge of riding fast, like in iom2.

The braking in r4, you should feel the front squeeze down on its front suspension, and keep a firm line, grip, until its too much, or a bump, and have to react fast or fall, not slide around like a skater.
You will scrub off speed of course and your line will straighten as you front brake,,in a gradual way..

Edit: one example of out of control physics in r4, on imatrajano road course, the part before the 2 hook chicanes where there is a middle road curb.
In r3 you could judge your speed, angle of approach and lean angle and rider balance/position, and throttle etc, to try ride over the bump, bit of a stunt way.

And it is reasonable at least in how it handles, even if r3 feels like simpler physics, you can check it in slow mo replay in tv cam and it looks more or less believable.
And you can try handle it to its limit.

In r4, it reacts in a mess, out of control physics.
Bikes feel like less mass, floating around.
Too bad cause it's nice to have more complex physics and dynamic sounds.
Like endos in r3 you stay in line even if you try go sideways, it's better in r4, and when you go off track in a curve it feels more sim in r4 often when you can fall down more etc. Although often it's opposite in r4 and you just drift sideways 30 feet balanced still..

Another disappointing aspect is courses lack character,,bumpiness and dips, at least i dont feel it much.
Bikes also wheelie so easily even at 0 rpm almost at slightest throttle but won't ever spin the rear at start even if you slip the clutch, keep weight forward etc.

There's also lag it feels like in controls, when you start to wheelie,,even if you off throttle before critical angle, it keeps going up and fall backwards.

When you slide the rear a little, the front will slide even more like to try balance it out, instead of destabilizing the bike or having to countersteer.

Edit: i noticed the physics go out of whack mostly when you come in too fast in curves and bumps, so they seem to have added a stabilizing aid, which makes bikes slide exaggeratedly.

So it's mostly ok if you go slower at least.

Also, the course do have bumps but they didn't bother put vibrations on ds4 for ps4 for them,, so even when i see the bike wobble over them, there's 0 feedback in the ds4, shame.

In r3 there is more vibrations on ds4.
Some dips and bumps do seem to add a very subtle vibration sometime. Too bad.., from what i read here before, seems they did add more feedback on the ds5 for ps5.
They didnt bother with ps4 seems.

Last edited:
I finally got r4 after a long time being on r3, and honestly im disappointed big time, for mainly 2 big reasons.
1st, the physics i think are ridiculous, the bikes slide around like mx bikes on dirt at slightest touch of the brake, etc. And keep sliding without even falling lol, what a joke.

On sand traps etc, it will keep doing tht for 25 feet without even going down, as if i have super balance of a stunt rider.

2nd, they didnt bother keep the hang low to the side of the bike views in helmet pov, even if u choose a shoulder out riding style like in r3.

And there is much less choices too, only balanced, old school, and shoulder out, which seem mostly affect animations maybe in 3rd person.

It ruins the thrill of leaning into a curve in helmet pov, and also you had a good view of where your bike is pointing to to judge your line.

I even prefer maybe the 1st fairing view in r4 maybe, at least it isn't ruined, even if it stays stuck centered sadly.
But you do feel the road more in that pov because the whole screen shakes when you go over curbs etc so you feel like you are on the road too, not just floating on top of the bike like the helmet cam, where only the bike shakes over bumps and your view stays perfectly still vertically.

The physics feel more complex yes, and you feel more the bike reacting, so that's good.

And the sounds of revs shifting down especially are much more dynamic, and good. Plus the clutch, which you can set analog.
Just too bad you can't adjust sensitivity because the range is so small on the stick, mostly using like the 1st 10th of range or movement.

Same for rear brake.
Even the front brake, it's ridiculously sensitive and short ranged, you can barely touch the trigger and it starts sliding.
Need pump it ever so slightly, and even then it's almost impossible to just brake in a firm line.

I tried tc at 1 and it lessened the sliding but then you feel less the bike, road, handling, and control.

Plus of course quality assurance of milestone, with bugs like auto tuckin not working, etc.

They change around handling etc like they have no clue, or no one that does checks things before release, and never patched, idk.

Glad i paid only 13$ cad for base game, even then pisses me off. And mostly disappointed in what could have been.

Now i was tempted to get motogp22 as well on sale, to upgrade from 19, but i worry it will be same thing.
At least that game and sbk22 seems to have kept the so nice hang to the side of the bike helmet gameplay povs, and they look superb in vids, and its not just the replay cam like in r4.

Even in menus, the bikes look not as nice as in r3, lighting, textures, its off, looks artificial.
In game it looks nice, tracks etc, but not much feel of road bumpiness except for curbs.

Gp19 feels pretty good, you feel sliding just enough and have to adjust it fast or you fall.

Anyhow, its a mess to me, and rushed like all their games, even if with lots less bikes than r3.
Many bikes sound still crappy though, like it was just added in a rush.maybe the free bonus ones..

Many little things that are ridiculous, like powefull bikes that cant go over 200kph if not tucked in lol, engine braking barely affecting rear grip when off road etc, even at full eb setting on a powerful bike in power range.

Just a shame, was thrilled at 1st of the lively physics feel and crisper, livelier sounds and shifting.
Still hard to follow a line in narrow street courses, because of controls, handling, not because of the challenge of riding fast, like in iom2.

The braking in r4, you should feel the front squeeze down on its front suspension, and keep a firm line, grip, until its too much, or a bump, and have to react fast or fall, not slide around like a skater.
You will scrub off speed of course and your line will straighten as you front brake,,in a gradual way..

Edit: one example of out of control physics in r4, on imatrajano road course, the part before the 2 hook chicanes where there is a middle road curb.
In r3 you could judge your speed, angle of approach and lean angle and rider balance/position, and throttle etc, to try ride over the bump, bit of a stunt way.

And it is reasonable at least in how it handles, even if r3 feels like simpler physics, you can check it in slow mo replay in tv cam and it looks more or less believable.

Like endos in r3 you stay in line even if you try go sideways, it's better in r4, and when you go off track in a curve it feels more sim in r4 often when you can fall down more etc. Although often it's opposite in r4 and you just drift sideways 30 feet balanced still..

Another disappointing aspect is courses lack character,,bumpiness and dips, at least i dont feel it much.
Bikes also wheelie so easily even at 0 rpm almost at slightest throttle but won't ever spin the rear at start even if you slip the clutch, keep weight forward etc.

There's also lag it feels like in controls, when you start to wheelie,,even if you off throttle before critical angle, it keeps going up and fall backwards.

When you slide the rear a little, the front will slide even more like to try balance it out, instead of destabilizing the bike or having to countersteer.

Edit: i noticed the physics go out of whack mostly when you come in too fast in curves and bumps, so they seem to have added a stabilizing aid, which makes bikes slide exaggeratedly.

Also, the course do have bumps but they didn't bother put vibrations on ds4 for ps4 for them,, so even when i see the bike wobble over them, there's 0 feedback in the ds4, shame.

Some dips and bumps do seem to add a very subtle vibration sometime. Too bad.., from what i read here before, seems they did add more feedback on the ds5 for ps5.
The game's physics were spot on at launch. Then people started complaining it was too difficult. They nerfed the physics. Twice. Causal player base appeased.

Great.....

Same for rear brake.

Looks like I'm sticking with R3 then.

Looks like I'm sticking with R3 then.
To be fair i still enjoy it, and hard to go back to stiff lifeless feel and sounds in comparison in r3.

I have a bug where 1 out of 3 races maybe i get a missing track texture on a portion of the track.
Have to go back to main menu to reset it.

Thats the ps4 version, on ps4 and in bc mode on ps5, even if on the ssd, but does fix the small stutters i got on hdd.

Im tempted to try the ps5 version, its on sale on psn.
For added ds5 feel, and hopefully get rid of that bug. Anyone know? Or a fix for that?

It does look superb at night on a track like northwest 200 with lightposts etc.

Edit: also the controls sensitivity does seem a lot more stable, to follow the line you want, i find it a lot better on fast narrow street circuits now.

Edit: tried a little more ride4, snetterton, and tv replay shows nothing, just close up of building sides, gates etc. Good job milestone lol.

Last edited:
To be fair i still enjoy it, and hard to go back to stiff lifeless feel and sounds in comparison in r3.

I have a bug where 1 out of 3 races maybe i get a missing track texture on a portion of the track.
Have to go back to main menu to reset it.

Thats the ps4 version, on ps4 and in bc mode on ps5, even if on the ssd, but does fix the small stutters i got on hdd.

Im tempted to try the ps5 version, its on sale on psn.
For added ds5 feel, and hopefully get rid of that bug. Anyone know? Or a fix for that?

It does look superb at night on a track like northwest 200 with lightposts etc.

Edit: also the controls sensitivity does seem a lot more stable, to follow the line you want, i find it a lot better on fast narrow street circuits now.

Edit: tried a little more ride4, snetterton, and tv replay shows nothing, just close up of building sides, gates etc. Good job milestone lol.
Haha, yeh Snetterton is bugged, they never bothered fixing it I guess.

Have you played sbk22 though? It's excellent. You'll like it. Turn up the sound on your amp!

I’ve always wanted to like Ride 4 because the track list, the features, the fact you can race the North West 200 and Ulster GP, it looks nice, it’s one of the first games - with the frame rate bump and increase in bikes on track - where I actually noticed the next gen version being better, because if I’m honest the first lot of X/S optimised games I couldn’t even tell. But my problem with Ride is always the same, the physics. The bikes just feel bouncy and imprecise, I’m constantly falling off and rewinding. Maybe it’s me and I’m just not much good at it, but playing it feels like a chore.

Back