Shift 2 v1.02 Patch

• Thread starter BryantFC
  • 899 comments
Hi all, after much communication with EA the problems are issues with the code; NOT the PS3, however in the beginning EA told me it was a dirty disk then, a hard disk problem, then the PS3; again after much more communication EA in their wisdom said is was a problem they were fixing (NO eta) though! for me its full mods and fast/long tracks,
are the cause.

After reading this I went to my autolog settings and turned off everything and the went straight to the ring with the F1 works and got a freeze in the exactly same spot as the last 10 times so it has nothing to do with autolog
Hell I dont even play connected to the internet most of the times. But I though I would give it a go anyway...

EDIT: when I restarted the game I went to the autolog settings and they were all on again so just to be sure I turned them all off again and went to the garage and changed some cars livery so that the game would save all my changes - then I went to the ring again with an F1 works and for my suprise the game didnt freeze with that car on the ring for the first time - and I was able to set my fastest time of 6:40 without any freezing - I tried two more times and no freezing so far.

EDIT2: I guess I was just lucky before because I tried it one more time and it froze in the exact same spot as the 11 times before so it definitly has nothing to do with autolog - from what I can tell it has to do with - car - track - high speed - placement of the car on a specific part of the track and luck (or lack of luck)

Yes Confirmed -It still freezes ! But it seems like it's not that often !:rolleyes:

Hi all, after much communication with EA the problems are issues with the code; NOT the PS3, however in the beginning EA told me it was a dirty disk then, a hard disk problem, then the PS3; again after much more communication EA in their wisdom said is was a problem they were fixing (NO eta) though! for me its full mods and fast/long tracks,
are the cause.

I hope they can fix the bug without ruining anything else (like FF on Xbox with the last patch).

are the cause.

That's their "standard procedure" it seems. I got the exact same treatment.
In fact I think this is standard procedure for most support centres these days. They try their best to push the customer away, and if he is still there after a few weeks they have to admit that it's a problem with their product.

Spagetti69
Never had a freeze on Xbox.
Gumpert works + ring should create one right?

Raced that last night ok.

Speaking of which. I had my arse handed to me. Is hard mode super hard in A class?
They pulled away on straights and through corners.
Road America and the ring I came last.

How's every one else coping?

To quote myself I reduced the difficulty to easy and got totally beaten.

Turning on telemetry showed that my pedal is only producing 80% power.

No Shift 2 or Dirt 3 for me for awhile. 8^(

To quote myself I reduced the difficulty to easy and got totally beaten.

Turning on telemetry showed that my pedal is only producing 80% power.

No Shift 2 or Dirt 3 for me for awhile. 8^(

Thats a problem with your wheel pedals Im afraid...

FLX1981
What the hell?! What could be a possible reason for that? :crazy:

Not too sure TBH.

Looking around the webs seems to indicate a bad sensor maybe?

Looks like I'll be late to the Dirt 3 party as I was with the Shift 2 party lol.

Can't keep up with the bloody youngsters destroying my autolog times without my setup.
Just started making in roads with autolog. Got a couple of 1st positions.
By the time I get back it will all be in vain. Lol.

Young upstarts.

Not too sure TBH.

Looking around the webs seems to indicate a bad sensor maybe?

Looks like I'll be late to the Dirt 3 party as I was with the Shift 2 party lol.

Can't keep up with the bloody youngsters destroying my autolog times without my setup.
Just started making in roads with autolog. Got a couple of 1st positions.
By the time I get back it will all be in vain. Lol.

Young upstarts.

Do you have the clubsports? are they new?

are the cause.
Same old story, customer EA trolling support. Thanks to all the people here reporting their bugs you saved me lot of frustration. I know it's a great game but I'm not going to pay for a broken product anymore. Let's hope they fix it.

tribolik
Do you have the clubsports? are they new?

Yes, received them in February. Never got to play until my wheel arrived in mid March.

Had some issues but finally around the Shift 2 release I was set to go.

The pedals and wheel haven't had much use.

I had a works gumpert apollo at around 2354 PI.
Struggled to get last in A class events lol
Threw up the telemetry to find only 80% throttle and could have cried.

Damn it sure does happen alot with clubsports the bad loadcell issue- dont they have QA or QC or something... thats one of the reason Im not considering Fanatec, even though the produtcs are great they are only great when they work and the time you wait for them added to the time you wait for a fix.... they should throw in the new culbsport shifter for free for all your trouble... threat them that youll go public with it... it shouldnt happen that often...

Hmm double post time.

Just realised that the wheel came with a G27 pedal adapter.

Now to dig it out if I can find it.
Hook up the old faithful g27 pedals.
Pray to the god of sim racing and power on.

Edit sorry no double post thanks to Trib.

The Gods of sim racing say no you will not race.

Switched my wheels over. Plugged in the Fanatec adapter and transformed my G27 pedals into a non working product.

Very Fanatecerish.

Arghh

if you have a pc, see if it's also showing same input data in the fanatec control panel.

Have you checked 911wheel.de to see if others have had issues, cant say i remember seeing this before ... (I'm not sure I pedals can be recalibrated/reset)

Did you update the firmware and do a full reset ? Might be worth a try.

(btw trib, there is no load cell on throttle ;))

Thanks for advice Tech,
How would I go about a full reset?

Edit.

Hooked up to pc. latest driver installed.

Seems like a dodgy adapter to go with the dodgy power supply, missing paddle shifter and non functioning throttle issues i've had or having.

Oh well, live and learn.

Last edited:
Reset, i think is tuning + start ? , it's says in the patch notes.

But sounds like you have been very unlucky.
What have fanatec said?

Most seem to have had replacements where there were issues, I think the poor support reputation was more from the early delivery issues they had... I've heard good reports of them replacing units.

Hope you get yours sorted out soon, its great kit, I'm sure you'll be happy once your sorted out

I dont think this bodes well, especially for console patches.

Griff
It's scheduled to get submitted to EA before the end of the week.

I'd like to qualify some of the comments made here about what we decide to fix. A few people have observed that there is a discrete line between technology fixes and gameplay elements.

It really boils down to the fact that SMS owns the core-tech and has choosen to enhance parts of the game that they own in a forward looking way. So if there is a disjoint here it's because of publisher apathy on their IP elements - from their point of view the game is 84/85 meta-critic and furthur investment isn't a good business proposition with a normal sales curve. ( Note, that's my opinion - it's somewhat more complicated, but I'm happy to support the game for another few patches either way)

I dont think this bodes well, especially for console patches.

Didnt know that about the load cell - it only brakes then?

I think he was talking about the improvements they had planned for the AI and graphical options for PC... because they have to fix the freezing issues... I can assure you that if they dont a lot of people will return the game to the vendor (me included)and wont buy any more EA products - who wants a game thatcant be played?

I don't think that's particularly surprising. SMS would be happy to keep working on improvements as long as EA is willing to pay for them to. EA knows that there's diminishing returns on adding content over developing a new game. Essentially patches are for fixing major bugs and then for buying goodwill. At some point they have to call it a day and develop the next game.

It sucks, and not all bugs will be fixed before they move on, but that seems to be the reality of games these days.

Sorry, post was from nogripracing, where pc lead from SMS has been posting.

I guess my concern, is although SMS are happy to keep developing the core, they may just at some point push patches directly to pc players... Whereas this is not an option for consoles.
But hey, we have to wait and see...

@trib, yeah the load cell is the way you provide a harder push at end of pedal travel, which is only applicable to brakes. It's actually pretty effective, i like it a lot.

It seems I was wrong and there might not be a fix or a new patch for the freezing issues on consoles because of this »
EA costumer service
Hello ,

At this time it seems there may be an issue with your console. Possibly you need a newer firmware update that is unavailable due to the current issues with the PSN. It may be that your system has an issue that is not allowing it to work as it should. Could you try this on another console?

If it is still happening on another console it may simply be an issue with the disc itself. If this is that case you can contact us back if you need the warranty process for your region. Thank you.

Should you require further assistance, you can update your ticket, add more information, screen shots, or other helpful documents, by logging into our support site at http://support.ea.com and clicking on the ‘My Questions’ link on the left-hand side of the page. Your reference number for this ticket is 110511-011505

Sincerely,

^ Tribolik, I don't know the pretext for that e-mail (got one?), but it sure sounds like EA is giving you a don't-admit-anything-just-cover-your-ass-and-blame-something-else -answer. If the pretext was the freezes that we all have, it has nothing to do with PSN or the state of the console. S2U is simply buggy and crashes on a lot of occasions.

DJ
--

^ WOW that's some huge customer trolling.

I don't think that's particularly surprising. SMS would be happy to keep working on improvements as long as EA is willing to pay for them to. EA knows that there's diminishing returns on adding content over developing a new game. Essentially patches are for fixing major bugs and then for buying goodwill. At some point they have to call it a day and develop the next game.

It sucks, and not all bugs will be fixed before they move on, but that seems to be the reality of games these days.
In other words this mean they want we buy their buggy products no metter what, who care if the game freeze.. what a great company 👎 Problem is a major bug is still there, the game freeze. Too many people get fooled by the hype, the fancy videos and all those marketing BS. If users will stop buying their buggy stuff, next time EA will care about patches.

Last edited:
^ Tribolik, I don't know the pretext for that e-mail (got one?), but it sure sounds like EA is giving you a don't-admit-anything-just-cover-your-ass-and-blame-something-else -answer. If the pretext was the freezes that we all have, it has nothing to do with PSN or the state of the console. S2U is simply buggy and crashes on a lot of occasions.

DJ
--

That was a reply I got (5th now) to my costumer support question about the freezing issues

EA costumer support
Hello ,

We do appreciate your speedy response. Your feedback and concerns about the freezing issue are greatly appreciated. We will forward the information to our future development team for investigation. In the meantime try some basic console troubleshooting steps to ensure your game data and patch are functioning correctly.

Disable Media Server:

First go to the XMB then go to the system settings tab and then all the way down to network settings.
Then go to media server connection and disable it.

To Delete Game Data:

Then navigate to the game settings tab on the XMB menu.
Locate game data utility folder and delete the game data for the above mentioned product.

After that then power off the ps3 and wait about 3 minutes before powering it back on and reinstalling the game data.

To download the online pass you just need to go to the Playstation Network Tab>>>Account Management>>>Download List and then re download it there.

Should you require further assistance, you can update your ticket, add more information, screen shots, or other helpful documents, by logging into our support site at http://support.ea.com and clicking on the ‘My Questions’ link on the left-hand side of the page. Your reference number for this ticket is 110511-011505

Sincerely,

So I followed all the steps - deleted the game data and installed it again.. and I still had the same issue so I contacted them again and told them just that... and there reply was...

EA costumer service
Hello ,

At this time it seems there may be an issue with your console. Possibly you need a newer firmware update that is unavailable due to the current issues with the PSN. It may be that your system has an issue that is not allowing it to work as it should. Could you try this on another console?

If it is still happening on another console it may simply be an issue with the disc itself. If this is that case you can contact us back if you need the warranty process for your region. Thank you.

Sincerely,

I allready replied... thanked them because they were quite helpfull.. they in fact without saying it told me they wont patch the game to fix the freezing issues - and also told them Im trading the bad coded game for Dirt 3... what is the point of having a racing game when we cant go fast in it?

^ WOW that's some huge customer trolling.

In other words this mean they want we buy their buggy products no metter what, who care if the game freeze.. what a great company 👎 Problem is a major bug is still there, the game freeze. Too many people get fooled by the hype, the fancy videos and all those marketing BS. If users will stop buying their buggy stuff, next time EA will care about patches.

And if everyone does what Im going to do and trade the game for dirt 3, Im willing to bet that this is the last time they pull something like that...

Last edited:
And if everyone does what Im going to do and trade the game for dirt 3, Im willing to bet that this is the last time they pull something like that...

What makes you think EA cares what you do with the game once you buy it so long as you don't make multiple copies available to other people? They already have your money.

What makes you think EA cares what you do with the game once you buy it so long as you don't make multiple copies available to other people? They already have your money.

really? If I trade in the game because it is a menace to my system allways freezing the PS3 and get Dirt 3 in return EA gets my money not Codemasters???

That's not what I said. I said that patches are for two things, fixing bugs and gaining goodwill through adding DLC. And that there is diminishing returns on the value of DLC. There are no such on fixing bugs, it's important to their image that they bring the game up to a standard at which there are no major bugs remaining.

I suppose it could be debatable whether they consider the freezing to be a major bug or not. I don't get it much, but a lot of people do. They'd certainly be wise to at least attempt to fix it or risk losing part of their customer base for Shift 3: Super-Extreme. If I was EA, I'd be paying SMS the money to fix it. It's the only major thing left though, and I suspect it might take them a while to nail it. If it was an easy fix, they'd have bundled it in with an earlier patch.

Personally, I haven't seen EA being any worse with patches than any other company. F1 2010 had issues (Codemasters), GT5 had issues (PD), I recall Ferrari Challenge having issues (Eutechnyx, I haven't bought any of the more recent Eutechnyx titles). It's trendy to rag on the latest game for sucking, and it's true that they should be released in a more stable state than they are. But it's false to pretend that this is a problem that only exists with EA games. It exists with ALL games, it's the truth of this generation of consoles. Your game will need a patch after purchase. It just will.

Back