Shift 2 v1.02 Patch

• Thread starter BryantFC
  • 899 comments
Is there any evidence needed? You press a button but the game doesn't respond instantly, what else can it be?

You're using the "looking back" delay as proof that there is a steering lag. Like I said, I've never seen any evidence that there is any relationship between looking back and the alleged steering lag.

So, yes. Evidence is needed.

Well, I also don't get any noticeable lag(although, probably it is more difficult to judge using the pad-I'm on standard cockpit cam), but than again, I also didn't noticed it before this last patch.
What I think this patch has improved in the game is the handling of stock cars.
I went back to some of those first tiers loaner car events(muscle,etc-Autolog oblige;) ) and I found them more enjoyable than before the 1.02v. The cars seem less floaty, more steady and predictable-although the "go flat out" and slide through corners-I specially noticed it with Shelby Cobra "WORKS" @ Glendale or the Gumpert Apollo in Silverstone National), for example- is still there.:indiff: But probably that is something that will never get patched, it's part of the game DNA.

You're using the "looking back" delay as proof that there is a steering lag. Like I said, I've never seen any evidence that there is any relationship between looking back and the alleged steering lag.

So, yes. Evidence is needed.

Cause any button lags in Shift 2, looking back is just the easiest one to spot. Just use hood cam and move your wheel fast, or DS3 if you don't have a wheel. Should see the delay as well.

Cause any button lags in Shift 2, looking back is just the easiest one to spot. Just use hood cam and move your wheel fast, or DS3 if you don't have a wheel. Should see the delay as well.

Nothing of this proves anything about steering lag, just about a delay in certain cockpit graphics for all we know... There may be a relationship, but there may just as well not be.

This has been discussed before back when people were analyzing video recordings.

I don't get that argument at all. The processing used when switching views and responding to the wheel movement are likely to be totally different.

Last edited:
Firehuntah
To the ones saying they don't have any lag, are you really sure about this? Have you tried pressing your set button to look behind and see if the view changes instantly? Easiest way to spot if you have input lag or not. Reason you may not notice that there's any input lag on the steering is because you're already used to it. :P

Just seems weird to me that some people have lag and others don't

I think that is the point. I am sure the lag is still there but I am just used to it now and know to turn that fraction early.
(ps3 & dfgt)
Driving like that affects my gt5 driving as I got back online last night and was all over the shop hahaha.

Yes and this was the best way to tune my car. When my action corresponds with the graphics then i have tuned it right as i feel it (turning lock in car tuning, this can make the big differance for me). I normally end upp from 20 to around 5-8 depending on the car. Rest is fixed with suspension and downforce. Cars handle like they should. My cars dont slide in corners either when setting like this and the suspension is right.

So tune the turninglock so it corresponds to your actions with the ds3..no lag detected at all for me.

(PS3, DS# controller, Elite handling, all assists off, senssetting controller to 20, 0 deadzone)

Firehuntah

Does your throttle and brake input lag as well.
What your saying seems to be that all inputs at lagging, what about nitro?

It takes more time because the game has to stop rendering what is in front of us and start rendering what is behind...

So how come other games can do this fine without any lag? FPS drops I'd understand, would make more sense. But this input lag has nothing to do with it.

I don't get that arguament at all. The processing used when switching views and responding to the wheel movement are likely to be totally different.
The processing of the buttons to the game is where the problem is at not the actual functions of the buttons, or looks like it to me at least since it's happening to all buttons.

Brake definately has some input lag, throttle as well I think but hard to tell. Not sure how to check nitro since you don't see the effect of it immediately even if there's no input lag.

Just tried my DS3 controller instead of my DFGT wheel. For some reason the delay for looking behind seems bigger on my DFGT than with the DS3. Or I'm just imagining things..

Driving like that affects my gt5 driving as I got back online last night and was all over the shop hahaha.

I can go back and forth to GT5 and still drive without having to adapt first. I play it around once a week now (friends house). I'm sure I'm used to how S2U handle so if there is input lag I won't notice it. It doesn't matter if visual representation state otherwise (even that is near perfect here)

When my action corresponds with the graphics then i have tuned it right as i feel it (turning lock in car tuning, this can make the big differance for me). (...) no lag detected at all for me.

Same on my G27. That was a cool hint 👍

Plain and simple. NO. I have all my deadzones to 0 and telemetry show no different. Same with nitro. As soon as I press the button it shows :crazy:

my 2¢

Hmm just checked telemetry and shows instant response for throttle and brakes now. It even shows instant response for the wheel while the car's wheels aren't turning yet. When driving I definately notice the input lag though, but telematry still shows instant response..

Also been discussed previously. The difference is that after 1.02 is not noticeable while driving where previously it was cleary visible doing some simple tests.

After 1.02 Its either undercover :P or it has been fixed.

It takes more time because the game has to stop rendering what is in front of us and start rendering what is behind...
So how come other games can do this fine without any lag? FPS drops I'd understand, would make more sense
It does not need to take any time or incur any fps drops. In a 3D engine you can position and point the camera anywhere every single frame, and looking back along the track would not normally cause more rendering overhead than looking forwards.

...But this input lag has nothing to do with it...
It's is seemingly unrelated to the steering lag, I agree.

One can only wonder why there's such a terrible lag on looking behind. I can see no technical reasons for that. There are a few strange things with the S2U software...

DJ
--

I've found the patch 1.02 makes a huge improvement but I'm still experiencing the odd issue.

I'm playing on PS3 (slim) with a Fanatec Turbo S and clubsport pedals. Steering lag is much improved with the patch but every now and then (and it's not very often), there's a very noticeable delay between the game registering when I take my foot of the gas and apply the brakes. Basically, the engine maintains revs even after the brakes have been applied. This was a huge issue for me pre-patch (and post 1.01) and was a very regular occurrence but post patch, has happened once or twice.

One issue that is still occurring and bugs the hell out of me is the button lag when navigating menus (especially car lot/garage and tuning) with the D-pad on the wheel. I did an experiment the other day, pressing the D-pad once on my wheel. There was a delay of over a second before the game registered the input and then scrolled all the way to the bottom of the list! I was beginning to think I'd only unlocked one of two manufacturers until I used my PS3 control pad and was able to scroll through every manufacturer with no lag whatsoever! I don't have this issue with my wheel on other games (PS3 and 360) so I don't think it's a hardware issue (at least I hope it's not). I'm beginning to think I'm going crazy as I haven't seen this mentioned at all.

Does anyone think that the damage has been tweaked since the patch ?

I seem to be getting a lot more terminal damage e.g. wheels flying off, so I can't continue.

Or perhaps, now the feel is better, I'm just going in a bit more 'committed' :)

So how come other games can do this fine without any lag? FPS drops I'd understand, would make more sense. But this input lag has nothing to do with it.

Just a thought but I might be wrong though... Im not an expert on the subject...what I know for a fact is that after the patch the lag was significantly reduced in my PS3 and I was very septic about their hability to do so on the consoles...

Yes and this was the best way to tune my car. When my action corresponds with the graphics then i have tuned it right as i feel it (turning lock in car tuning, this can make the big differance for me). I normally end upp from 20 to around 5-8 depending on the car. Rest is fixed with suspension and downforce. Cars handle like they should. My cars dont slide in corners either when setting like this and the suspension is right.

So tune the turninglock so it corresponds to your actions with the ds3..no lag detected at all for me.

(PS3, DS# controller, Elite handling, all assists off, senssetting controller to 20, 0 deadzone)

Share your System and Car setups !

One issue that is still occurring and bugs the hell out of me is the button lag when navigating menus (especially car lot/garage and tuning) with the D-pad on the wheel. I did an experiment the other day, pressing the D-pad once on my wheel. There was a delay of over a second before the game registered the input and then scrolled all the way to the bottom of the list! I was beginning to think I'd only unlocked one of two manufacturers until I used my PS3 control pad and was able to scroll through every manufacturer with no lag whatsoever! I don't have this issue with my wheel on other games (PS3 and 360) so I don't think it's a hardware issue (at least I hope it's not). I'm beginning to think I'm going crazy as I haven't seen this mentioned at all.

I don't think its lag. In order to scroll faster some things keep loading in the background but the response is immediate.

you can check that but going to tune menu, change something save. Press to save while looking at the HDD LED. You'll see it starts saving the moment you press the button but the save icon takes about 2 secons to appear.

I don't know if its on purpose to give what matters the most the priority but "behind" the scenes everything is working FAST.

Another example is the car lot or the garage. You can scroll very fast while in the background the cars are being loaded. I prefer it this way actually.

I am having the exact same problems on my ps3 slim with the menus. Once I get into the actual driving, the game is fine, but tuning and navigating the menu systems is extremely laggy. I contacted EA about it, talked to some Support manager, and suggested I send the game back and get a new one.

Poop on that.

Any rumor about the freezy thing fix in the eventual 1.03 patch?

I wrote and e-mail to customer service congratulating them for the game after patch 1.02 and reporting the freezing issues, they told me they are going to look into to it but in the mean time they told me that I should erase the game data and do a fresh install (like that would help)

Interesting to hear that. To install patch 1.02, I saved the game to a pen, erase everything, reinstalled the game, started it, installed the patch. got to XML, copied the game save to PS3...

I have yet to have a freeze. Coincidence?

Interesting to hear that. To install patch 1.02, I saved the game to a pen, erase everything, reinstalled the game, started it, installed the patch. got to XML, copied the game save to PS3...

I wonder if you are onto something or just lucky.

Have you raced cars with performance ratings above 1800 for any length of time? This is the only time it freezes for me - not often, but enough that it should be fixed.
Is there a set of detailed instructions listed in the Shift forum for the maintenance overview you state? I would try what you suggest if the steps were clear. Example, "...got to XML, copied the game same to PS3..." - some of us don't know or have never had to restore game save data.
Thanks...

Really? have you done time attack on the «Ring with fast cars after that? if so I might try that myself.
Here is what he suggested

EA costumer support
Hello ,

We do appreciate your speedy response. Your feedback and concerns about the freezing issue are greatly appreciated. We will forward the information to our future development team for investigation. In the meantime try some basic console troubleshooting steps to ensure your game data and patch are functioning correctly.

Disable Media Server:

First go to the XMB then go to the system settings tab and then all the way down to network settings.
Then go to media server connection and disable it.

To Delete Game Data:

Then navigate to the game settings tab on the XMB menu.
Locate game data utility folder and delete the game data for the above mentioned product.

After that then power off the ps3 and wait about 3 minutes before powering it back on and reinstalling the game data.

To download the online pass you just need to go to the Playstation Network Tab>>>Account Management>>>Download List and then re download it there.

Should you require further assistance, you can update your ticket, add more information, screen shots, or other helpful documents, by logging into our support site at http://support.ea.com and clicking on the ‘My Questions’ link on the left-hand side of the page. Your reference number for this ticket is 110511-011505

Sincerely,

Last edited:
I did about an hour racing a work huayra on Catalunya GP and Suzuka east (one of the shortest). I did the last hour with at the CCX event (finally did it :D )

Every time I did the Ring (Invitational A) I had zero problems. I'm not into nothing.

I know its weird. But even the works Spyder that ALWAYS freezed the game while racing at Pergusa at night on the first lap now I doesn't although I have only tried it for 2 laps and I was with the DS3. But I don't think it matters because I just tried to reach top speed at the straights where it previously crashed.

[edit]
I just stated what I did. I just wanted to start fresh because of all the delete install of patch 1.01 while trying to recover the LE events. I did not read anything anywhere
[/edit]

PS: I can't do time attacks on the Ring... I'm not that good :D I can take the car to the straight and see what happens though.

I did about an hour racing a work huayra on Catalunya GP and Suzuka east (one of the shortest). I did the last hour with at the CCX event (finally did it :D )

Every time I did the Ring (Invitational A) I had zero problems. I'm not into nothing.

I know its weird. But even the works Spyder that ALWAYS freezed the game while racing at Pergusa at night on the first lap now I doesn't although I have only tried it for 2 laps and I was with the DS3. But I don't think it matters because I just tried to reach top speed at the straights where it previously crashed.

PS: I can't do time attacks on the Ring... I'm not that good :D I can take the car to the straight and see what happens though.

Im not that good either but I always try out my tunnes in the ring... and If the tune is good the game freezes :D

Im doing it... I erased the game data and Im reinstalling... Ill report back in a minute or two...

EDIT: ok Ive done everything they suggested, step by step, bla, bla, bla... started the game - went straight to the ring on a F1 Works and got a Freeze... Im really p&%$d... all that work for nothing.

Last edited:
So I took the Huayra (I don't have the 918 now) to Pergusa at night this time using the G27.

Damn. I had to talk and break the spell. This sucks. (read the game froze)

This is weird. I did Suzuka start/finish straight where I reached top speed and nothing. I was at Catalunya, reached top speed nothing happened. Same for Dubai. Top speeds are above 300km/h...

And I played for HOURS

I don't think its only the cars. Must be a combination of FAST cars at some tracks.

Thanks guys, now I'm upset :grumpy:

Back