SRT Tomahawk X VGT Super Lap: Nürburgring Nordschleife

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 423 comments
Aftet many attempts on Monday I ran a 4:30, which I then lowered to a 4:24. Gave it another go today and I'm running a faster lap, but keep messing up at one point or another. Will definitely keep trying in a few days.

edit: after a couple of beers to calm my nerves ;) I lowered my time by almost 12 seconds. To me the Nordschleife is divided into two sections by the carousel. I think I lost a bit of time in the first section compared to my previous lap, most definitely through the first bunch of corners. However, I gained a lot of time in the second section (after the carousel) even though I'm much less confident about maneuvering those turns. I'm quite pleased with a 4:12 here.

Last edited:
I finally reached my goal of getting gold without Active Steering. I had a small track excursion in the Pflanzgarten 3 area but was able to finish the lap with a RED 4:58.xxx. Next lap was a new PB of 5:01.1xx and I immediately followed that up with my gold lap of 4:58.xxx.

Sorry to hear about your wheel. Is Thurstmaster the only wheel that is PS3 & PS4 compatible?

I'm kind of sad to have reached my goal but I don't think I enjoyed the torture enough to try and improve my time. I wish more of the seasonal events would keep me engaged days rather than minutes. Guess I'm back to grinding the WRS time trials in the meantime.
There are a few wheels, but I can pm you with the details. For the section or 2 of the track try letting off the gas some while holding a higher speed through the corners. The car does hold pretty good at higher speeds, to make it easier I turned down the force feed back down to 1 and the other one to 3, and turned controller sensitivity to 5. I hope this helps.

Had a 5:22 with the ds3 then got a 5:03 on my next lap. I'm giving in at that, too much adrenaline near the end and my hands start to shake. I could get the gold but it would only be worth my time if that were the medal the car was awarded for.

Ahh .. so the Nitro will enable this low-drag mode

Ima gonna get my max bonus tonight and tackle this frightening sucker !!!

I honestly thought this TT would be a complete pain, but it's actually exhilarating because even taking a deep breath can make you go off the track. Not to mention I love the Nordschleife, it's the greatest race track on Earth.

I honestly thought this TT would be a complete pain, but it's actually exhilarating because even taking a deep breath can make you go off the track. Not to mention I love the Nordschleife, it's the greatest race track on Earth.

Another one that loves this challenge huh. I am having a blast with it too. My only problem is the fastest american is on my friends list so... :) Man is he fast.

Another one that loves this challenge huh. I am having a blast with it too. My only problem is the fastest american is on my friends list so... :) Man is he fast.
.....I have about 45,000 miles around the Ring....mostly in the Focus RS....time down to a 3:38 now....been shadowing a friend of mine with a 3:36...have just started using the right (button) on my wheel for slippery assistance...got a couple days off....will see what I can put together....The track brings back memories of my MX days when I was kid....lots of elevation changes....off camber....banked...rough (just missing the dirt)...skinny....love it with this car....

.....I have about 45,000 miles around the Ring....mostly in the Focus RS....time down to a 3:38 now....been shadowing a friend of mine with a 3:36...have just started using the right (button) on my wheel for slippery assistance...got a couple days off....will see what I can put together....The track brings back memories of my MX days when I was kid....lots of elevation changes....off camber....banked...rough (just missing the dirt)...skinny....love it with this car....

Yeah I figure I have about that on the ring as well and yu are just behind me. I did a 3:30.784. I did a 3:20.xxx the other night but hit the armco on the last right hander and went red. I didn't feel the hit but it said I hit it and I only save green laps.

I hate this car. It embodies everything that's wrong with GT6 and Gran Turismo as a whole.

Finally golded it last night with a sub-5 Minute lap (4:30-ish while only using the aero reduction on the long, long back straight) without driver aids though.

I hate this car. It embodies everything that's wrong with GT6 and Gran Turismo as a whole.

Finally golded it last night with a sub-5 Minute lap (4:30-ish while only using the aero reduction on the long, long back straight) without driver aids though.
Wish I could get more than 5 seconds into the lap, never mind doing 5 minute laps - can't get beyond the first few corners without going off........

Gold. Stoked. This has to be the greatest test in the game. Initially thought that the car was un driveable, but with a little thought and patience, it becomes arguably the best car in the game. Well done PD, a true test for the Nurburgring fanatic. As someone said in an earlier post, this car loves to be driven hard. The vehicle's responsiveness is unparralleld and coupled with the tech that's been introduced gives handling on a whole new level. Great car for a great track.

After many, many, MANY expletives I've finally got gold with this car random set of numbers in a spreadsheet.

DS3 novice settings
Transmission: Manual [allows you to hold a specific gear to limit speed]
Driving Line: On
Active Steering: Strong
Traction Control: 8
Active Stability Management: Off [turning it On makes the car less stable!]
ABS: 3 [always wondered...why isn't this one spelt out? Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS).]
Controller Steering Sensitivity: 5

This allows you stab the brakes then point it around each corner, easing on a tiny bit of throttle. Then, when the track straightens, full power!

I only use the Drag Reduction System (DRS) on the very long final straight. I return to normal mode just before the bridge. Then I coast until the straight just before the final hairpin. Tweak and wiggle the steering as needed through this section - the aero and electronic aids mean you don't have to be smooth. (A dab of brake before the slight left-right chicane can help your confidence.)

I drive most of the track in 3rd gear, as recommended earlier. After one valid but slow lap I'll start adding 4th in a few places. Once I know where I can and can't do that, I do another valid but slow lap. Then I try for a better careful time. (Still being very, very careful.)

Gradually I learn where I had to be ultra slow and where I could merely be very cautious. Never pushed the car. Never, ever push the car in high speed areas!

Lots of coasting in high speed turns in 4th. 10% throttle stabilises the car through corners and seems to increase steering a bit.

Give it a big, BIG stab on the brakes before ANYTHING that looks like a corner. With 2,500bhp you can get the speed back in no time!

My time was an entirely unremarkable 4m44.654s and the gold target is 5 minutes. Just fast enough for the 1.1 million credits a Gold gives, on top of any other awards you may already have.

"Win at the slowest possible speed."

Last edited:
Managed to get down to 3:49 with the DS3 currently, the DS3 times seem to peak in the 3.40s.

To anyone wanting to try this event, this car seems to have three different personalities based on whether it is going fast, medium or slow. Driven hard and fast, this car rewards greatly while it's also possible to drive very slowly and make it around in one piece. It's at medium speeds that the car becomes a mess, not enough speed to get the aero systems working while at the same time the mechanical grip limit of the car is being exceeded.:yuck:

Whatever your goals, a completed lap in this event is possible. Just experiment with the available options and settings to find what is comfortable for you and find out where to lock away those nerves when on track. This is one of the experiences in gaming today that cannot be missed.👍

This is fairly difficult for me, only managed to spin off or hit barriers. Help at all please? What can I do? Note: using controller not wheel :-)

Last edited:
My 7-month old G27 broke. I'm wondering if this event (and the 2015 GT Academy Round 4) were part of the reason why. Hmm...

My 7-month old G27 broke. I'm wondering if this event (and the 2015 GT Academy Round 4) were part of the reason why. Hmm...
They come with a 3 year warranty...I would not consider using them in the game abuse....when you talk to them let us know what they say......been using it a lot for this Tomahawk challenge

After many, many, MANY expletives I've finally got gold with this car random set of numbers in a spreadsheet.

DS3 novice settings
ABS: 3 [always wondered...why isn't this one spelt out? Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS).]
--
--
--
Thanks for sharing. Might be stupid.. but what's DS3?

This is fairly difficult for me, only managed to spin off or hit barriers. Help at all please? What can I do? Note: using controller not wheel :-)

Also using a controller (DS3) for this event. After driving any normal road car, the Tomahawk can be a real pain at first because certain actions like braking and turning have to take place much later. A good place to start when using the controller is controller sensitivity, a high sensitivity between 5 to 7 seems to help to control this car better than lower sensitivity which often results in little turning at first and then full lock when you don't need it.

Enabling ASM and Active Steering in the driving options can help with the spinning off and stability problems. But ASM is working for some and not for others with this car. Also it helps to think about the sequence of corners (a chain of two or more) on this track as you approach them in order to make it safely thorough. Having a rough idea of where you are on the track can help keep your speed in check. Hope it helps.:)

I tried, maybe not as many times as I should.. but damn! This is too fast for my current skill level. I'm not giving up though, this is a challenge I have to get through.

Shame it's a passing seasonal as I think it'll take me some time to be able to do this.

Also using a controller (DS3) for this event. After driving any normal road car, the Tomahawk can be a real pain at first because certain actions like braking and turning have to take place much later. A good place to start when using the controller is controller sensitivity, a high sensitivity between 5 to 7 seems to help to control this car better than lower sensitivity which often results in little turning at first and then full lock when you don't need it.

Enabling ASM and Active Steering in the driving options can help with the spinning off and stability problems. But ASM is working for some and not for others with this car. Also it helps to think about the sequence of corners (a chain of two or more) on this track as you approach them in order to make it safely thorough. Having a rough idea of where you are on the track can help keep your speed in check. Hope it helps.:)

Thank you for your help, it has worked was getting a faster time, but span off just before the last corner, so will try again later :-)

DS3 novice settings

This allows you stab the brakes then point it around each corner, easing on a tiny bit of throttle. Then, when the track straightens, full power!

I only use the Drag Reduction System (DRS) on the very long final straight. I return to normal mode just before the bridge. Then I coast until the straight just before the final hairpin. Tweak and wiggle the steering as needed through this section - the aero and electronic aids mean you don't have to be smooth. (A dab of brake before the slight left-right chicane can help your confidence.)

I drive most of the track in 3rd gear, as recommended earlier. After one valid but slow lap I'll start adding 4th in a few places. Once I know where I can and can't do that, I do another valid but slow lap. Then I try for a better careful time. (Still being very, very careful.)

Gradually I learn where I had to be ultra slow and where I could merely be very cautious. Never pushed the car. Never, ever push the car in high speed areas!

Lots of coasting in high speed turns in 4th. 10% throttle stabilises the car through corners and seems to increase steering a bit.

Give it a big, BIG stab on the brakes before ANYTHING that looks like a corner. With 2,500bhp you can get the speed back in no time!

My time was an entirely unremarkable 4m44.654s and the gold target is 5 minutes. Just fast enough for the 1.1 million credits a Gold gives, on top of any other awards you may already have.

For me, the Silver worthy 5:18 (Or maybe 5:15...can't remember at the moment) I got was possible with lower settings.

Manual of course
Driving Line: OFF
Active Steering: OFF
ASM (Assisted Stability Management): ON
Traction Control: 1 (0 is doable, but I still played it safe)
ABS: 1 (0 is still very doable, but again, playing it safe to not even need to think about lockups)
Controller Steering Sensitivity: 0 (I've tried everything from -2 to 3. -2 and -1 require a bit too much input for my tastes, and 2 and 3 require much too little AKA too sensitive for me. I use 2-3 for virtually every other car, including the FGT and other fast racecars.)

I'm at the level of being confident I can get achieve gold, I just need to put in the blood, sweat, focus and tears!

There are some small sections, such as the section after flugpatz (Kottenborn I believe it's called) where you can use the DRS. Kesselchen is another flat out section, only lifting during the kinks.

5:22.xxx at the moment, using half accelerator and 3rd/4th gear for most of the track. ABS @ 1 all other assists off. Didn't use 1st or 2nd at all.

May I ask what wheel you have if any? I can't say it enough but for those with Logitech if you can use the wheel hack to put your wheel in 240 degree m

Could you please enlighten me to where I can find out about this hack??

My frustration with this even is starting to reach epic proportions. While initially not even being able to complete even 1/5th of a lap without a spectacular crash, I am now at least up to being able to complete a lap every 1000 tries or so....My best time is a 5:35 yesterday, so I'm putting in more time trying to better the time, but again am trying to complete a lap without some sort of incident that causes the lap to be flagged. While so many are having incredible luck and showing awesome skill in completing this, I find myself leaning toward the 'disgusted' side.

Maybe, if you think it does make that much difference, with the hack I can finally at least get silver on this. I would appreciate any pointing in a direction you might be willing to offer that you believe might help.

Put the car into a higher gear than normal for each turn.
You can get through this event by going straight to 7th or whatever the highest gear is and rolling around the course slowly.
You can get a gold by making sure you shift into a higher gear all the time.
Example: you normally go through Bergwerk in 2nd? Use 3rd. Maybe even 4th.
Go at it slowly, the car will start to show some recognisable driving traits, like some of your favourite cars, it will actually start to behave like another car you know and crucially, know how to drive.
Once you've felt that level of control, your confidence will increase and the gold will come.

Lap.

Don't restart.

Lap.

:irked:👍

Back