SRT Tomahawk X VGT Super Lap: Nürburgring Nordschleife

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 423 comments
Could you please enlighten me to where I can find out about this hack??

My frustration with this even is starting to reach epic proportions. While initially not even being able to complete even 1/5th of a lap without a spectacular crash, I am now at least up to being able to complete a lap every 1000 tries or so....My best time is a 5:35 yesterday, so I'm putting in more time trying to better the time, but again am trying to complete a lap without some sort of incident that causes the lap to be flagged. While so many are having incredible luck and showing awesome skill in completing this, I find myself leaning toward the 'disgusted' side.

Maybe, if you think it does make that much difference, with the hack I can finally at least get silver on this. I would appreciate any pointing in a direction you might be willing to offer that you believe might help.

I find I use the fastest setting on the wheel. With the G25 that is pushing the two middle red buttons on the gated shifter while pressing the button that would be the triangle. Now let me warn you it seriously speeds up the wheel but for me it's a preference. My advice to anyone that wants to gold is forget about the rewards and just run clean laps. You will get faster and faster. I set my system to 3-TC, 3-ABS and 5 and 1 and 1-FFB. I have also ran fast laps with the power cord unplugged after all setups were done. Makes for easy control but you lose the centering help.

I have always found the key is to relax and just lay down good laps, the speed will come and before you know it the gold shows up. Stop resetting when you crash, finish the lap unless you allready know the track well enough. Have fun with it. Try your best to stay in the center of the track and before long you will drive the corners as if it's a lotus.

I appreciate the above comments and suggestions guys. Thanks much. I will be heading back into this challenge and giving all suggestions a go...FWIW, I have been trying the 'accelerate in a gear one higher than you typically would' already. It has been helpful, but for me, most of my problems stem from the car being so twitchy. I watch the video of the guy who's currently #1 and I know that if I even TOUCH a curb, my ass is in a spin. I swear, I've spent as much time facing backwards in this event as forward....How he or anyone for that matter can go around this circuit so fast is just unreal to me. I feel like a caveman watching the SR71 do a flyby. Of all the advice thus far, I do think the most relavent to me is to just do laps verses resetting every time. I know the track fairly well, but this would definitely force me to learn it much better.

All I know is this car seems twitchy as hell to me. The current settings are:

AS off
TC 5
ASM Off
ABS 1
SRF Off
Controller Steering Sensitivity 1
Force Feedback Max Torque 1
Force Feedback Sensitivity 1

Anyone see any glaring issues? I tried to turn down the force feedback simply because I felt like I was getting beat to hell by my wheel. But, am I hurting myself more than helping??

Up till last week, I just played the game pretty much bone stock. I never or rarely ever changed anything about the cars I was using. Needing help in the Silverstone GP event woke me up to the idea that this can be 1000X more fun by running tunes and not making it so difficult on myself. Unfortunately (and obviously), any adjustments to the car are not allowed in seasonals...

If I had a say in this game at all, I would say that this shouldn't be a seasonal...even one that lasts a month. I think the difficulty level of this is enough that it should have been part of the 'special events' section. My reasoning is that I DO want to conquer this...but having limited time and not the best of skills, it'd have been much nicer to have this as something I could go to again and again to try to gold. In a seasonal format, I am much more limited. I've read numerous posts talking about the sensation of finally golding this. Some even going so far as to compare it to the vettel challenges from GT6 and GT5. I too golded all of them...and it DID give me an incredible sense of satisfaction. But since this is limited time wise, all I will be able to do later (after the 24th) is to create my own challenge...and we all know that you won't 'fail' if you run off or anything else that would and does fail you currently in this challenge...so the challenge will no longer be there like it is now.

Thanks again!

Andretti

I appreciate the above comments and suggestions guys. Thanks much. I will be heading back into this challenge and giving all suggestions a go...FWIW, I have been trying the 'accelerate in a gear one higher than you typically would' already. It has been helpful, but for me, most of my problems stem from the car being so twitchy. I watch the video of the guy who's currently #1 and I know that if I even TOUCH a curb, my ass is in a spin. I swear, I've spent as much time facing backwards in this event as forward....How he or anyone for that matter can go around this circuit so fast is just unreal to me. I feel like a caveman watching the SR71 do a flyby. Of all the advice thus far, I do think the most relavent to me is to just do laps verses resetting every time. I know the track fairly well, but this would definitely force me to learn it much better.

All I know is this car seems twitchy as hell to me. The current settings are:

AS off
TC 5
ASM Off
ABS 1
SRF Off
Controller Steering Sensitivity 1
Force Feedback Max Torque 1
Force Feedback Sensitivity 1

Anyone see any glaring issues? I tried to turn down the force feedback simply because I felt like I was getting beat to hell by my wheel. But, am I hurting myself more than helping??

Up till last week, I just played the game pretty much bone stock. I never or rarely ever changed anything about the cars I was using. Needing help in the Silverstone GP event woke me up to the idea that this can be 1000X more fun by running tunes and not making it so difficult on myself. Unfortunately (and obviously), any adjustments to the car are not allowed in seasonals...

If I had a say in this game at all, I would say that this shouldn't be a seasonal...even one that lasts a month. I think the difficulty level of this is enough that it should have been part of the 'special events' section. My reasoning is that I DO want to conquer this...but having limited time and not the best of skills, it'd have been much nicer to have this as something I could go to again and again to try to gold. In a seasonal format, I am much more limited. I've read numerous posts talking about the sensation of finally golding this. Some even going so far as to compare it to the vettel challenges from GT6 and GT5. I too golded all of them...and it DID give me an incredible sense of satisfaction. But since this is limited time wise, all I will be able to do later (after the 24th) is to create my own challenge...and we all know that you won't 'fail' if you run off or anything else that would and does fail you currently in this challenge...so the challenge will no longer be there like it is now.

Thanks again!

Andretti

I had one of my settings on strong, not sure of the name of it. I wish I could explain how I lay down a lap but I can't. I drove this one as I drive every other one and that is by the seat of my pants. I didn't short shift or use special tricks I just drove it as I always do. At 3:30.784 I am in 54th and 20.699 behind the leader but I suspect most of the faster guys were like me in that they laid down their gold lap right away and then started taking time off with more laps. My first lap was a warmup to see what the car would do and then I golded on my second. My fastest lap was my ninth. I think we all drive to our limits but those limits are different for everyone. I knocked off ten seconds a while back but hit the guardrail on the last corner while trying to get my last corners for the green. I know I can do it but can't seem to relax enough to duplicate it. To take off the 10 seconds I was on the button every little spot where I could. I find the button is in an uncomfortable spot on the G25 as I tend to use 10-2. For that lap I used 8-4 hand position so the button was within reach easily but again an unatural position for me.

Well, after another hour or two of driving, I definitely am working faster laps. My fastest lap at one point was a red 4:50, which completely blew my mind since that was such a drastic improvement (for me). A few more red laps here and there and I finally got a 5:07 and change. So thanks for the encouragement and suggestions. I've yet to decide if I should push for the gold. I'm nursing a rather large headache from working so intensely on this.

Even with a silver now, I still wish and think this should not be a seasonal, but a 'special event'. The difficulty just cant be matched again setting up a race any other way where you are penalized like you are in this.

Just got to decide if I want to put myself through more torture to push for a legal gold time or not.

Hi, a while ago I got around 4:50 after the first few attempts and I think a method to understand the car better is to look at the technology it uses. The active aero parts rise when cornering, but only after it has registered the input. I used a ds3 controller to achieve my time, so I was basically going from zero to full lock straight away and my sensitivity was set on 7. What I found was when starting to turn, the downforce did not kick in straight away because the aero parts still needed to rise but when they did I found myself flying off the track through the inside of the corner. therefore instead of aiming to hug the apex like I usually would with any other car, I aimed for the dead centre of the track and the car found the apex itself.

After far too many failed attempts, including one agonising one where the car suddenly under-steered on the final corner, I managed to put down a time of 4:12.678.

Insanely fast car, but surprisingly weak in low-speed corners...

Between this and the expert challenge I am running 5:56.568 although on this I am spinning still but not giving up lol right back to the game...

Only been able.to.cross the line once (without having à red time)
using no driving aids except abs at 1.
wheel setting 10 10
time so far 3'21"

I got a 3:44.564... And I think it cost me my wheel.

After three straight weeks of practice, I finally got my first - and only - clean lap at full pace during this challenge. About 30 minutes later, my DFGT steering wheel controller suddenly lost all force feedback function and then began to emit a burning odor, indicating a destroyed FFB motor from excessive use.

Guess I'm done with GT6 for a while. :(

Settings used:
  • Automatic transmission
  • TCS 1
  • ABS 1
  • no active steering
  • no ASM
  • no driving line
  • FFB Torque=1
  • FFB Sensitivity=3

Only took about 200 tries by able to get gold by 4 seconds. Had to feather the throttle the entire time. Pretty much rode in about 2nd gear. I actually bought the car for 1M credits cause I was 4 minutes away from bronze and thought there was no way I was ever going to be able to do this even though I have golded everything else, but after much dedication I got it. Never want to pick up this event again.

Last edited:
Here's one of the posters up for grabs in our Tomahawk X Challenge, which ends tonight at 2:00AM Eastern Time.

Submit your lap time now if you haven't already!

srt poster.jpg

In my opinion, this car was great in terms of looking and speed. But in my opinion, the SRT Tomahawk X handled like a Red Bull X2010, which took me about 4 tries. But despite of the difficulty, I have managed to get gold in this seasonal event. I just did it today, a few minutes ago...

My time was 4'46.xxx (I don't remember the lap time very well, but I know that it was in 4'40's...).

I set my fastest lap time a few weeks ago and didn't make any additional attempts until yesterday. Couldn't improve. This car really takes some time to get up to speed (pun intended). Not sure my 4:45.9 will stand for a prize. :guilty:

Well, that's that. I feel plenty of disappointment, grief, anger, etc. A month's time spent trying to gold this hellish, yet blissfully difficult challenge, and I still end up short of the goal. I can't believe how much I let it screw with my head! I think about all the close attempts, about how much faster I was going, even on track to gold and then some; only to red lap at some point, some how. 👎

I did manage a 5:18.9xx some weeks back, but again, since I have submitted to defeat, I never posted a clean faster time!:banghead::mad:🤬:mad:🤬:mad:🤬:banghead:

If only I could stop being like a typical 2nd place whiner and remember Silver is really not bad at all! We see and hear it all the time on podiums around the world, and usually think, I would never feel that way! But oh, does it sneak up on you!

I honestly will be surprised if I pop GT6 back in before another week or two is up, even with F1 and the Spa 24 over the weekend to fuel my racing needs. I feel like I need a total vacation from it! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Well, that's that. I feel plenty of disappointment, grief, anger, etc. A month's time spent trying to gold this hellish, yet blissfully difficult challenge, and I still end up short of the goal. I can't believe how much I let it screw with my head! I think about all the close attempts, about how much faster I was going, even on track to gold and then some; only to red lap at some point, some how. 👎

I did manage a 5:18.9xx some weeks back, but again, since I have submitted to defeat, I never posted a clean faster time!:banghead::mad:🤬:mad:🤬:mad:🤬:banghead:

If only I could stop being like a typical 2nd place whiner and remember Silver is really not bad at all! We see and hear it all the time on podiums around the world, and usually think, I would never feel that way! But oh, does it sneak up on you!

I honestly will be surprised if I pop GT6 back in before another week or two is up, even with F1 and the Spa 24 over the weekend to fuel my racing needs. I feel like I need a total vacation from it! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

There is no such thing as being the best all the time. No matter how fast you are there are always going to be others that are faster on any given track on any given day. So you do the best you can and hold your head high. I would rather come in dead last than not place at all because I was intimidated by the car or track and gave up. I truly believe that all of these experiences help to make us better drivers in real life. Yes some of it is so far from reality but I also think that every time I see someone has died from losing control of their vehicle from putting a wheel in the grass. How is that possible that they don't know how to control that situation?

Anyway, you did your best and I for one applaud you and all that did the same.

So it ends. The top guy (khmnt) managed in the dying hours to pipe G-string_Hal which has dominated the number 1 spot for the last few weeks. 3.10.001 :eek: Those two guys are insane. The third place guy only manages a 3.16 :lol: If you look at the replay khmnt drove 1600km (around 80 laps) in that session alone. That's around half the amount of laps in the VLN 24h race, or 4 hours of getting your brain assaulted by the Tomahawk X monster. Just pure craziness. What a skill 👍

I'll be going over the results of the aforementioned Tomahawk X Challenge this weekend and reaching out to those of you who made the cut. Keep an eye out for a private message from me with more information on the next step of verifying your PSN screen name and sending over your mailing address.

So it ends. The top guy (khmnt) managed in the dying hours to pipe G-string_Hal which has dominated the number 1 spot for the last few weeks. 3.10.001 :eek: Those two guys are insane. The third place guy only manages a 3.16 :lol: If you look at the replay khmnt drove 1600km (around 80 laps) in that session alone. That's around half the amount of laps in the VLN 24h race, or 4 hours of getting your brain assaulted by the Tomahawk X monster. Just pure craziness. What a skill 👍
I wonder how many wheels he went through??

How do you see the Kms he drove?

How do you see the Kms he drove?
When looking at the replay, under "Information Display", turn it to all, then watch in "Normal View", and you'll see the mileage in the speedo.

Top dude is at 3:11, which matches the best time I can see that's on YT for the X2011.

Could this car actually be faster than the red bulls? Probably not on tracks with short straights and lots of curves, but it remains to be seen.
It is faster, the fastest Red bull car is the X2011, and as far as I know, the record with that car around the Nordschleife is 3:14, done in GT5 wich has far less bouncy kerbs, so you can attack the corners alot harder without loosing control, and on top of that, SRF was on.

Now I'll admit, the X2011 has more grip, especially in slow corners, and is a far more stable car, but the fact of the matter is that the Tomahawk has so much more accelerating, top speed, and braking capabiliteies than the Red Bulls, it more than makes up for it.

That's ** amazing..... 👍
As is #235 by the way, who managed a time of 3:45, using the controller. Japanese guy (of course..).

...And this is what happens when you finally manage to conquer a 2,600-HP beast:

LdbdhYf.jpg

Looks like the FFB motor nearly caught fire from overheating after 8 years of hard use - good thing I unplugged it when I did. May look at getting a T300RS later on to get ready for PCARS and F1 2015.

Still, at least I won a poster for it. ;)

I'll be going over the results of the aforementioned Tomahawk X Challenge this weekend and reaching out to those of you who made the cut. Keep an eye out for a private message from me with more information on the next step of verifying your PSN screen name and sending over your mailing address.

Will the winners and their times be announced?

Why weren't us Canadians eligible? Not like it was a advertised formal contest. Do all the usual laws apply to a forum challenge?

Here's a different angle to this Time Trial.

Even though it was very difficult to get a clean lap in
this is still one of my favorite TT's I've done.

Last edited:
Back