StepMania

boiltheocean

Premium
Samoa
Samoa
Can anyone knock that guy off the top of any course record in either physics. I know most people here don't approve of the drifting points system but i've checked out some of his replays and its still rather impressive.

Some of his drifts are amazing... When I leave GT5P doing it's own demonstation his drifting replays are always showing up, he uses different cars all the time. I know a lot of people here will probably snub him off as "Bah points system bah" but he doesn't just drift in the points areas some tracks he almost has a constant drift the whole way.
Whatever the case I am impressed.

Oh and I bet if anyone does manage to bump him off 1st place in drift score he will be right back soon enough.

I remember seeing some of his replays quite a long time ago and yes, he is good. :)
But does he use a wheel. Atleast before the update it was easy to tell that by looking the wheels, but I'm not sure if the update fixed it to look smooth even with rapid moves with a pad.

In any case, if he's using a wheel, then he's truly skilled indeed. :)

Edit: Btw. who knows if he's lurking here and if he is, he must be proud to see a thread named by his tag and about him.. So maybe he should join the forum and come to discuss drifting with everyone else here. :)

Last edited:
He is good end of story and if he is using a controller i am even more impressed cause i think it is harder to get the car to do what u want it to wit the controller. so props to him!! but just to b an ass i will say that the Japanese version of the game gives more points than all other versions hahaha so yea thats y he is on top hahaha

JvM
Edit: Btw. who knows if he's lurking here and if he is, he must be proud to see a thread named by his tag and about him.. So maybe he should join the forum and come to discuss drifting with everyone else here. :)

He is Japanese so he might not know any english, I have sent him a PSN message once but never got a reply as he may not have understand. I remember when putting his username in the message box it converted it into Japanese characters.

Anyway I think he uses controller but does a real smooth job of it, hard to tell.

Why does everyone keep saying the points system is all whack? Can someone please point out what's wrong with it to me? So far from what I can gather it rewards speed more than angle, and does it penalise grippier tyres? What else?

Yeah I often leave GT5P running on the menu and soon as I hear huge amounts of tyre sqeual I know he's on.

I noticed the sixaxis sticks and buttons are better modulated since the update, but I'm not sure what stepmania uses lately, still impressive and I think with a slightly modified wheel he/she could the same. He goes for points but I seen him link the Fuji hairpin beautifully in the clio I think.

What happened to Drift_________tashio something, is it the same person?

Why does everyone keep saying the points system is all whack? Can someone please point out what's wrong with it to me? So far from what I can gather it rewards speed more than angle, and does it penalise grippier tyres? What else?

No it doesnt reward speed over angle. If that was the case then why is everyone using N2 Front, N1 Rear and some people even use N3 Front?

The way the points system works is the more time you spend at such angle the more points collect. So the slower you go and the more angle you hold the greater the points.

He is Japanese so he might not know any english, I have sent him a PSN message once but never got a reply as he may not have understand. I remember when putting his username in the message box it converted it into Japanese characters.

Anyway I think he uses controller but does a real smooth job of it, hard to tell.

Ok, then he may not come in here. :)

he is the best .
nothing more to say
i tried with my brother to beat him but we can't , he is just perfect
the japanese had the PS3 before us and that'is why they had more time to train and to make better points.
for me and my bro there is 3 solutions
1: he made the game with polyphony
2: his real work is to drift
3: he is workless and spend 10H per day drifting on GT5P

i think that he may receive a lot of messages so that 's why he don't answer everyone
i've seen him once on suzuka and he was drifting with his friend ( and of course i was making setup for an EVO and forgot to put the driving control at 0 )

can anyone tell me if this dude(by looking at his replays)is using more than default steering angle? also if the cars are stock ie stock height and power etc?

can anyone tell me if this dude(by looking at his replays)is using more than default steering angle? also if the cars are stock ie stock height and power etc?

You are asking the impossible :lol:

What if you had the info? what would you do?

If you beat his score, sooner or later he will creep back :)

you can tell things like power diff quite easily, you just go into cockpit view and look how quick the car accelerates, and what speed its doing at a certain point on a straight part of a track. tbh i cant be bothered and thought someone may know already.

Last edited:
I know a lot of dudes who could beat his scores, we just arnt focusing on that and plus it's a waste of time

and may i ask if these dudes are using more steering angle/power less weight etc?

IMO i find max steering angle to help but the other settings are up to the user,
everyone tune their cars differently to suit their style so just make your own!

Steering angle less than 40 if your using the pad

40+ if wheel

I go for the soft springs and damper plus stock camber, toe.
Gearing has to be setup for corners properly which isnt difficult.

Mind you im talking about the pad drifting :lol:

Steering angle less than 40 if your using the pad

40+ if wheel

I go for the soft springs and damper plus stock camber, toe.
Gearing has to be setup for corners properly which isnt difficult.

Mind you im talking about the pad drifting :lol:

I use a g25
-50 steering angle
-FFB-7 This feels the best for me. I tried 5 wasnt enough, tried 10 and I was fighting the wheel. It was like fighting a Mac Truck 10x lmao.
-Then I just use the suspension I use in Forza 2(believe it or not). Soft springs with stiffer dampers.
-Chamber at 1-2 front and .5-1 for the rear. I really havent messed with chamber that much.
-No toe
-Then tune the gears, this to me is the most important thing you can do. This should be the 1st thing you do in my opinion.

i use soft springs lots of camber and max turning angle when i drift using the pad that is. i am a vacuum cleaner with the wheel :D i can use it to race but not so good with drifting.

IMO i find max steering angle to help but the other settings are up to the user,
everyone tune their cars differently to suit their style so just make your own!

i can make my own, i just wanted to know if your friends drove stock, whenever i have drifted i have not touched the settings at all, granted things become easier when more steering angle is applied and the weight reduced. but i wanted to know for sure if other high ranked drivers tweaked their settings, i wasnt really willing to tweak my rides if the top people got high scores with stock settings

i still dont think im good enough to tweak my settings, once i start getting decent scores i will tweak

the bottom line is stepmania is the pinnacle of all drifting on gt5. it has nothing to do with the Japanese version of the game being better because thats a load of crap. he is the best because he sets his cars up well for each course and has mass skills. Im really sick of drifters saying that the drift trials arn't worth the effort, and that the points scoring system is crap because its not ,the scoring system is made up of 3 simple things :

1: speed
2: angle
3: line of attack

the only reason some people hate the drift trials is because they simply are not competitive enough. drift trials are the only true way of showing your worth as a drifter on gt5 and thats the bottom line...............anyways back too the point, stepmania currently owns all and if anyone should top his scores will be legendary in my books, ive been trying my best to challenge his scores but he is just a beast on another level

btw check out my scores, online i.d Renzo42

Drift trials are good, but the main focus of points is on the correct line. Once you find the line and you are able to follow it, you can score good points. Second point is speed. More speed means more points. Simple. And angle. This is the most complicated. Little angle, medium points, middle angle, big points and big angle little points. I find myself often in a nice drift, with big speed and on the right line but with huge angle (full lock, just on the verge of spinn-off) and I get pathetic score. When I drive very similar (practically same) line and with less angle (just below one turn of G25) and same speed I get proper points.

Stepmania has IMHO enough time to practise and drive and he also has a lot of skill and feel for the car sliding. But mainly it is time. If I had more, I'm sure, I could do something similar on most tracks. Last time I played, I tried for the first time drifting on London (or London reverse - not sure) track with Corvette and found myself in 2nd place just behind him with (from my point of view) not so perfect drifting. I even touched a wall and simply didn't get my best out of the car.

But I would agree - he is good. Very good.

About tweaking - of course for a good score you must do some tweaking. I usually give the car a full lock, more camber, a bit harder suspension and sometimes lower it a bit (never full to the ground). That is in general. same for all my cars. The only thing I tweak a couple times to get the right feel is gearing. I try to shift less, because PD has disabled "power shifting" and so even if I try my best, I very often find myself misshifting during drift. And I hate that sooo much.

Back