Stunning Gran Turismo 8K/120FPS Footage Revealed at Industry Event

At this early stage the PS5 is just a spec target for developers to aim towards.

I think the dev kits are made and rumored to being used by some devs. Sony might even announce it at PSX next year for a 2020 based release duebto fact of e3 and PSX cancellation.

Watch the latest news and rumours, theres quite alot out there now... Very interesting!

At this early stage the PS5 is just a spec target for developers to aim towards.

...maybe, but there is for sure a dev kit already in flow, or at least PC with those spec with probably some of the PS nex gen OS on it... It shouldn't be so different then PS4 is except it is more powerful and probably has some additional features due to the newer and more complex chip architectures...

Someone mentioned that it is pre-rendered scene, well, donno if PD or Sony would let that tunnel reflection rendering be so uncloplete if it were pre-rendered scene. For me it looks more like beefed up current gen game...

Every country's buying habits are a bit different but it feels like 4k/60 TVs have hit mainstream.

You can get 50" smart 4k/60 sets for around $500 usd. Granted they arent famous brand but to many that doesnt matter. Going further, all famous brands are now latest tech.

With that the next installment on the PS5 should be a true 4k/60.

Saying that as someone who does not own a 4k set who just has a fair few FHD sets to use.

Typically you don't want to completely render parts (quarters) of the screen on independent systems; nowdays there's too much screen-space post-processing going on that without one system handling the 'full image' pass on its own you're likely to get seams appearing (like the bloom will have a weird discontinuity appear at the halfway line).

They could probably get away with this in GT5 for their 4xPS3 demo because I think they still had one as master and for the PS3 these effects were lightweight by design anyway (limited hardware). Also the PS3 being designed to network together probably helped A LOT with getting that off the ground.

This demo, as far as anyone knows, is NOT realtime, correct? Then what's probably happening is like the Photo Mode - instead of doing, each frame, an albedo (colour) + normal direction + depth + etc passes all at the usual resolution, they'll get the PS4 to just do one gigantic albedo pass in that same time, then next step do a gigantic normals pass, and so on. Remember that rendering is a function that is called; which means it can be messed with and told to do specific things, with set options, at the cost of completion time.

Since physics is decoupled from framerate (otherwise bumps at LeMans wouldn't work...), bumping up the framerate to 120 (or even higher to 240 or 360 even) wouldn't break anything. ASSUMING YOU'RE GETTING DATA FROM A REPLAY. This would be unplayable for obvious reasons. Since we're slowing down the timestep because rendering is taking so much longer, if you did try and 'play' it the result would look like very choppy at ~0.2x speed.

The only thing after that is you'd have 120 frames of ~32MB images, or nearly 4GB per second of raw, uncompressed pictures (and that's pre-processed into LDR files, not full HDR output. HDR would probably be >5GB/sec). Now you'd have to assume that they did dry runs at normal res to avoid wasting time and a lot of HDD space with this, but that's still one hell of a folder size and a video compile that would have taken ages. Maybe they borrowed a bit help from Sony Motion Pictures to export the vid?

They can push the graphics as much as they want. I am so disappointed with the Series. They lost me with GT6. Maybe i have just grown out of GT, since it is not evolving. The main aim should be immersion and not over the top graphics. With VR they had the chance and they blew it with that silly VR-Tour crap. To many fake tracks and cars and wats that BS with the Gruop 1, 2 and so on? With the official FIA Licence no GT3, GT4 or LMP? „The Real Driving Simulator“ has bin turned into „The Real Photo Simulator“. So much potential and resources wasted on useless crap in the game and that with 5 to 6 years of development. Sony should fire Kaz an put someone in charge who actually loves motorsport and not just himself.
There is where thread dedicated to whining and crying. Look it up. Your comment has no relevance to this topic and offers nothing.

It's definetly a PC,i doubt PS5 will be able to achieve 120FPS,only in recent years 60FPS started becoming the norm,and 4k60fps is still hard to achieve.

Most, if not all, professional first person shooter players already demand 144FPS, albeit still at 1080p, so 120FPS really isn't beyond the realm of possibility.

Also Sony really appear to want to push VR hard - they're basically throwing money at it, and if they continue to do so with the PS5 then it seems likely that they're targeting 120FPS at 4K for the PSVR2, which with the right hardware is also not outside the realms of possibility

On top of that the rumours that I've heard surrounding the PS5 is that it is going to be one hell of a monster - but hey they're just rumours

Sony should fire Kaz an put someone in charge who actually loves motorsport and not just himself.

Not this again.
Most, if not all, professional first person shooter players already demand 144FPS, albeit still at 1080p, so 120FPS really isn't beyond the realm of possibility.

Also Sony really appear to want to push VR hard - they're basically throwing money at it, and if they continue to do so with the PS5 then it seems likely that they're targeting 120FPS at 4K for the PSVR2, which with the right hardware is also not outside the realms of possibility

On top of that the rumours that I've heard surrounding the PS5 is that it is going to be one hell of a monster - but hey they're just rumours

I also heard about the PS5 being a monster but i don't think it will be a monster able to do 120 FPS,60 FPS might finally become the norm next gen but 120 FPS is still a dream.

People are saying this is PS5 or PC, its very highly likely not at least with modern consumer grade stuff available to us right now, even loaded up with 4 RTX 2080tis with the most power intel or amd processors this is a massive amount of data to crunch.

Maybe they will explain some of the magic behind the engine :
Live Replay Movie Creation of Gran Turismo
We perform live replay movie creation using the recorded play data of Gran Turismo. Our real-time technologies enable movie editing such as authoring camerawork and adding visual effects while reproducing the race scene with high quality graphics from the play data. We also demonstrate some recent development for the future.
https://sa2018.siggraph.org/en/attendees/real-time-live

Maybe they will explain some of the magic behind the engine :
Live Replay Movie Creation of Gran Turismo
We perform live replay movie creation using the recorded play data of Gran Turismo. Our real-time technologies enable movie editing such as authoring camerawork and adding visual effects while reproducing the race scene with high quality graphics from the play data. We also demonstrate some recent development for the future.
https://sa2018.siggraph.org/en/attendees/real-time-live

Whoever is responsible for those camera angles is a damn good cinematographer,you look at GT's camera angles and every other simracing game and you see how absurd the difference in quality is.

At this point I believe it could either be a next gen dev-kit or synchronized PS4 (pro) running simultaneuosly in the crisp clear looking TV.

So I am going to buy 16 PS4 Pros to play GT Sport in 10 K :cool: :lol:.
So then I can feel THE DRIVE OF MY LIFE of the REAL DRIVING SIMULATOR!

"Only" :lol: IMO, it's a pre-rendered scene on monsters PCs and far beyond PS5. And what is the difference between a ray tracing scene and without it?
Ray Tracing should be able to make reflections of the actual surroundings not only things that are rendered at the time on the screen. As the original post i was refering to was saying. (tunnel something)

But it is much, much more HW demanding than traditional simplified method of reflecting ''world'' on our cars in games.

No tech expert. Someone might explain it better.

I think the dev kits are made and rumored to being used by some devs. Sony might even announce it at PSX next year for a 2020 based release duebto fact of e3 and PSX cancellation.

Watch the latest news and rumours, theres quite alot out there now... Very interesting!

Oh wow, I didn't realize they were that far along already. I googled it and you're right, it's pretty much confirmed that the devkits are already out to third party developers.

Well, same thing in Madrid. It didn’t occured to anyone that the live spectacing feed on the big screen looked absolutely crystal clear and beautiful, while running at (at least) 60fps?

I wonder if it was running on a high-end PC or a next gen PlayStation.
The live feed on the big screen in Madrid, like the other events, would have been generated by a normal, common or garden, PS4 Pro (albeit with a secret sauce version of GTS for Ollie to select cameras and views).

Last edited by a moderator:
The live feed on the big screen in Madrid, like the other events, would have been generated by a normal, common or garden, PS4 Pro (albeit with a secret sauce version of GTS for Ollie to select cameras and views)..

Really? You must have good sources then, cause guys from PD told me otherwise...

I'll have to take their word for it as I have nothing that can display 8K nor the ability to stream 8K. PSVR can display 120fps, yet at only 0.5k resolution... 120fps is very nice for racing though. Unfortunately only available in 30 short stages in Trackmania turbo.

Ray Tracing should be able to make reflections of the actual surroundings not only things that are rendered at the time on the screen. As the original post i was refering to was saying. (tunnel something)

But it is much, much more HW demanding than traditional simplified method of reflecting ''world'' on our cars in games.

No tech expert. Someone might explain it better.
Nah, you can do decent reflections even with cubemaps and it's way less demanding than RT would be.
FH4
tCmQsLT.gif

Currently GT is like this
glgUd76.gif

So they still have space to improve even with old school techniques.

Even if they released an official video, no one would enjoy it in terms of resolution. Hardly anybody would be able to own a huge 8k TV.
Well, if you can, then gift me one too.
So, don't just talk about the current (or future) consoles which maybe can't support these resolutions. Even if they can do that, you would still see 1080p resolution in your tv. Or in the best case, 4k.

Only if you see it yourself in a display you will lose your 🤬 and understand how epic this looks. Videos and screenshots can't really provide us the real result as we still see it in full or ultra hd.

All this talk about 8k...

I'd take 1080p with real time ray tracing over 8k any day.

When you watch 1080p tv it doesn't look any less real than 4k tv. And as we're not at photo realism yet why on earth are we so focused on resolution?

Boggles the mind. Put the power towards making it look better, not just making things far away clearer.

All this talk about 8k...

I'd take 1080p with real time ray tracing over 8k any day.

When you watch 1080p tv it doesn't look any less real than 4k tv. And as we're not at photo realism yet why on earth are we so focused on resolution?

Boggles the mind. Put the power towards making it look better, not just making things far away clearer.

Before ray tracing, 120fps will help reduce lag and looks a lot nicer than 4K for a racing game. PSVR converted me to higher frame rates. It really does make a difference when you play Trackmania Turbo at 60fps or 120fps on psvr. As for resolution, I have no problem matching and exceeding my lap times in PSVR with the 360p resolution (compared to watching on tv) of the headset.

Latest Posts

Back